• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

The market just tanked in the past hour. I'm thinking it's news of 159,000 jobs lost in the last month, because I don't see any other particular news that would cause the market as a whole to collapse so quickly. Also, the House passed the bailout, or so I am lead to believe?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The house passed the bailout, but in a previous post I had predicted this:

#2: Since everyone knows some sort of plan will pass, the markets are going to attempt to rally as we get near to the passage of said plan. I say attempt because in reality, due to lack of confidence, everyone will be on the fence. Investors will seek to make quick money, lower their losses, etc., and run away after selling pretty much everything. They might invest in gold as a result, but even that would be a short lived bubble.

That's what I think is happening. I hope I'm wrong about the OTHER points.

The job cuts news came in at 10am. Markets tanked after the bailout passed. So what I said above is the only likely scenario IMO.

gkryhewy

Ether_Snake said:
The house passed the bailout, but in a previous post I had predicted this:

That's what I think is happening. I hope I'm wrong about the OTHER points.

The job cuts news came in at 10am. Markets tanked after the bailout passed. So what I said above is the only likely scenario IMO.

Or it could just be "buy the rumor, sell the news"

kathode

Back over 100 now.

Sold out of UNH. I've got a little cash to jump into something else, but not sure what to look at. Any suggestions?

Holy shit, ERTS dipped below 33 today. Wow!

gkryhewy

kathode said:
Back over 100 now.

Sold out of UNH. I've got a little cash to jump into something else, but not sure what to look at. Any suggestions?

Holy shit, ERTS dipped below 33 today. Wow!

My suggestion is to wait for the dust to settle.

Tarazet

gkrykewy said:
Or it could just be "buy the rumor, sell the news"

I guess that makes sense, kind of like how GAF hypes every single game that comes out, of which only a couple turn out to be worth a crap.

gkryhewy

sonarrat said:
I guess that makes sense, kind of like how GAF hypes every single game that comes out, of which only a couple turn out to be worth a crap.

Stocks are actually in the red now. Wow. The next week or so will be very interesting.

Tarazet

Everybody is selling everything right now.. puts, calls, stocks, shorts, gold, oil, you name it. I feel like such a noob.

Tarazet

I'm holding on too. A couple of my positions are hopeless, so all I can do is hold onto those and hope for something miraculous. The ones that are holding their value are the ones that still have value in them, so it would be dumb to sell those too.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm holding too. My goal right now is to save more money, not buy new stocks, I have enough, and I'm down around 10%.

So it's back to saving times, food being the costliest expense along with electricity, although I'm already at the minimum on the later.

onipex

toxicgonzo said:
^5. Got any other good stock tips?

Not really, I'm just saving up to buy more.I told my gf that Citigroup would have a problem with the merger, so I'm not surprised. I'll buy up double take software and td ameritrade later on. It's hard to tell how things will go from here, but most likely things will go up again.

gkryhewy

onipex said:
Not really, I'm just saving up to buy more.I told my gf that Citigroup would have a problem with the merger, so I'm not surprised. I'll buy up double take software and td ameritrade later on. It's hard to tell how things will go from here, but most likely things will go up again.

I agree with this. The market as a whole is oversold - sector after sector. I think it'll jump big-time on just the slightest hint of good news. A Euro bailout next week, for example.

WingM@n

This bill won't help at all.
Give it a few days/weeks and there will be chaos again.

I'm more and more convinced we'll go into a depression. I expect the worst to become reality. States will go bankrupt, in the end the whole USA. I sold all my stocks a month ago, and I'm investing in gold and silver. Thats what I think will be the best to do right now.

Tarazet

gkrykewy said:
I agree with this. The market as a whole is oversold - sector after sector. I think it'll jump big-time on just the slightest hint of good news. A Euro bailout next week, for example.

Aren't foreign banks like HSBC already privy to the bailout?

onipex

gkrykewy said:
The juxtaposition of my post and WingM@n's post is classic! :lol Time will tell.

I'm in the middle so stocks and gold for me. I think if everything was really going to go to hell things would already be a lot worst. That is unless this is a slow fall. Whatever happens life goes on even if it turns to crap.

Tarazet

So let's see. Weekend summary:

BCSVD (Barclays $20 put): Worth more than the last trade price, but it's still a long shot. -$130
CKE (Citibank $30 November call x2): Badly timed buy, but a lot could happen by November 18. -$92
HBCJQ (HSBC $80 call): In the money, but hanging on by a thread. -$15
HBCJS (HSBC $95 call x8): Hopeless at this point. Written them off, going to have to let them expire worthless because no one will buy them. -$160
HBCVN (HSBC $70 put x2): My counterbalance to the calls. It could still become profitable. -$42

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
What does GAFs watchlist look like?

Here's mine:

watchlist.jpg

gkryhewy

sonarrat said:
So let's see. Weekend summary:

BCSVD (Barclays $20 put): Worth more than the last trade price, but it's still a long shot. -$130
CKE (Citibank $30 November call x2): Badly timed buy, but a lot could happen by November 18. -$92
HBCJQ (HSBC $80 call): In the money, but hanging on by a thread. -$15
HBCJS (HSBC $95 call x8): Hopeless at this point. Written them off, going to have to let them expire worthless because no one will buy them. -$160
HBCVN (HSBC $70 put x2): My counterbalance to the calls. It could still become profitable. -$42

Here's mine:

NTDOY long:
HearNoEvilSeeNoEvilSpeakNoEvil.jpg

JSVAX (Janus Contrarian) long:
HearNoEvilSeeNoEvilSpeakNoEvil.jpg

mollipen

Man, I mean, I'm in NTDOY and AAPL long, but I don't see how some of you do it. Even though I don't plan on selling anytime soon, every time I see them take a dip my heart skips a beat. I'm still new at this, though, so I guess I need to learn to stop looking at my balances page every ten minutes and just let things happen.

LuCkymoON

Banned
toxicgonzo said:
Ahh, somebody slap me silly.

Wachovia Bank is being rescued by Wells Fargo. Share price is $6.90, why did I sell at $3.55?

simpsons-the-doh-4900579.jpg
wow :S
I've been hearing that this stock should plateau at $7
So I bought 82 shares @6.02 (long) to get my feet wet.

gkryhewy

shidoshi said:
Man, I mean, I'm in NTDOY and AAPL long, but I don't see how some of you do it. Even though I don't plan on selling anytime soon, every time I see them take a dip my heart skips a beat. I'm still new at this, though, so I guess I need to learn to stop looking at my balances page every ten minutes and just let things happen.

It's hard to time the bottoms and tops. Last year I was down $500 on NTDOY before selling (eventually) at a $1000 profit. On the other hand, this year, I sold two purchases at a combined $900 loss, which sucked. If you're confident in your purchases, just hold until your goals are met. Until then, they're just paper losses.

Ovid

WingM@n said:
This bill won't help at all.
Give it a few days/weeks and there will be chaos again.

I'm more and more convinced we'll go into a depression. I expect the worst to become reality. States will go bankrupt, in the end the whole USA. I sold all my stocks a month ago, and I'm investing in gold and silver. Thats what I think will be the best to do right now.

California May Ask U.S. for Loan
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/04/us/04calif.html?hp

LOS ANGELES — California, the nation’s most populous state and the world’s sixth-biggest economy, has warned the Treasury Department that it may need a $7 billion emergency loan from the federal government because it is running out of cash and has not been able to borrow more.

It has begun :lol

gkryhewy

sonarrat said:
Don't look now, but your IRA has probably already lost another 3% this morning. It's ugly out there.

There just aren't any buyers in the market right now. Some major deals for the brave.

gkryhewy

WingM@n said:
Europe markets take huge blow.
Russia stopped trading again.
I wonder how the DOW holds , I think it will get ugly.

DOW futures are down 179 right now. That's actually decent since they were down close to 300 earlier.

We will end up green for the week - I'm calling it now! (entertainment purposes only).

dionysus

Yaldog
To predict the stock market right now all one has to do is look at the other markets, like commercial paper, credit default swaps, bonds, etc.

Until those get better sell into every rally. Hell, the only buyers of any type of debt right now are central banks. Honestly, any rally last week was just absurd.

Battersea Power Station said:
My only problem with [Nintendo] is that it seems so obvious: it's been trending down for a few months, the holiday season is about to come. It seems like the perfect buy.

I'm wary of things like that.
Oh, man, I'm so happy I listened to myself. Perfect-looking trades are rarely perfect. Yes, it'll come up eventually, but I can't take $15-$25 of pain before it does.

I'm looking to buy this early 40s only after it gets to mid-30s.

Top Bottom