• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Frankfurter said:
VW continued that crazy way today. It peaked at ~1000€ per share, so going by market cap was afaik by far the largest company in the world. Currently it's at ~750€, so still 45% up compared to yesterday (where it had +150% :lol ).

Btw. apparently the reason for this crazy thing going on is that certain Hedge Fonds apparently need to buy Volkswagen at EVERY price to fulfill 'orders' or sth. like that by Porsche. I really don't get it, but some guys in German boards say that Porsche more or less trapped the Hedge Fonds by announcing their current state at overtaking VW (less than expected shares are still available on the market).

Up 406.50 (58.87%)

Fuck you GAF, why didnt you recommend them. I could have been set for the year

Deku Tree

Barron's recommended them a few weeks ago. They say VW will explode until Porsche stops buying their shares, and at that point they will crash.

But it's pure speculation and timing. If you get the timing wrong you may get killed... :D

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ABX up 8% but I don't know why, gold isn't up that much today so far. ATVI still down, ridiculous.

EDIT: I think this is a fool's rally, there is only bad news today. This rally is from people who see virtual "low value" hoping that everyone does the same so they can sell a few hours later. That's what I think.

EDIT2: My PS3's disc drive is dead! Argh:mad:

ArtG

Ether_Snake said:
EDIT: I think this is a fool's rally, there is only bad news today. This rally is from people who see virtual "low value" hoping that everyone does the same so they can sell a few hours later. That's what I think.

More than likely. I don't believe any rally we get will last through a single trading session.

lil smoke

Banned
ArtG said:
More than likely. I don't believe any rally we get will last through a single trading session.
*sigh* it is looking that way. I'm just going to let my holdings marinate for awhile. Hopefully I can just break even by the end of next year.

Frustrating to see that some of the money I added into my account has disappeared. But... could have been worse! Looking forward to a few years from now when the dust settles.

I agree, I don't see today's rally holding out, or at the least, I'm sure it will be a bad day tomorrow if today does hold positive. I still feel today's prices are ones that will pay off in the long-term, for almost any of the blue-chip stocks. I've got a small pile of large-cap blue-chips in my portfolio, now I'm looking very very closely at small-cap stocks that I think can weather this storm and make large gains in 10-20 years. I mean, so is everyone else, but you guys get the point. :lol

argon

It's hard to believe that the Dow hasn't had two successive up days in over a month. I'll go out on a limb and guess the market will rally a bit from here. It has dropped too far, too fast.

ArtG

argon said:
It's hard to believe that the Dow hasn't had two successive up days in over a month. I'll go out on a limb and guess the market will rally a bit from here. It has dropped too far, too fast.

I've thought this for a while now. Then the Dow tanks another 500-1,000 points.

Tarazet

Only thing in my portfolio that's up is EK (Eastman Kodak), about 6%. Everything else is down around 3% still. Granted that's only one day's losses..

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Everything I'm looking at is green right now. BWA, VCP, TGI and ABX are over 10% today.

Maybe it will close in the green:p

The day after I said "might as well short everything!".

EDIT: Damn you BHI, it's actually in the red.

ArtG

Wonder if we'll get a panic to the upside or the downside near the bell.

Sure is hell ain't going to stay where it's at right now.

lil smoke

Banned
Not really woth getting excited over though, is it? This is just a small % of what needs to be recovered. Or is DOW @ 8700 a good number for you guys now?

syllogism

lil smoke said:
Not really woth getting excited over though, is it? This is just a small % of what needs to be recovered. Or is DOW @ 8700 a good number for you guys now?
Considering the volatility and nothing specific driving the surge, there's no reason to expect it to stick.

avaya

Frankfurter said:
VW continued that crazy way today. It peaked at ~1000€ per share, so going by market cap was afaik by far the largest company in the world. Currently it's at ~750€, so still 45% up compared to yesterday (where it had +150% :lol ).

Btw. apparently the reason for this crazy thing going on is that certain Hedge Fonds apparently need to buy Volkswagen at EVERY price to fulfill 'orders' or sth. like that by Porsche. I really don't get it, but some guys in German boards say that Porsche more or less trapped the Hedge Fonds by announcing their current state at overtaking VW (less than expected shares are still available on the market).

The Hedge Funds got fucked. This will be a textbook case study on the short-squeeze for decades. Just ridiculous. Saw it hit 1,015Euro's at one point on my Reuters :lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
avaya said:
The Hedge Funds got fucked. This will be a textbook case study on the short-squeeze for decades. Just ridiculous. Saw it hit 1,015Euro's at one point on my Reuters :lol

I don't get what happened there.

oatmeal

Banned
A co-worker walked in to my office today with a chart on his laptop from some newsletter that apparently costs 400 bucks a year to subscribe to, and has insider analysts giving the scoop on the current markert. Anyway, the article in question described how we are following the Great Depression almost to a T. The chart showed an overlay of both of them and how similar they are.

He concluded that in a few weeks, we will be much much much lower than we are now.

Thoughts?

Kifimbo

Today's rally reminds me of this.

BearRally30-32.jpg

lil smoke

Banned
oatmeal said:
A co-worker walked in to my office today with a chart on his laptop from some newsletter that apparently costs 400 bucks a year to subscribe to, and has insider analysts giving the scoop on the current markert. Anyway, the article in question described how we are following the Great Depression almost to a T. The chart showed an overlay of both of them and how similar they are.

He concluded that in a few weeks, we will be much much much lower than we are now.

Thoughts?
That's what my bro has been warning me about... he says to look for a 6000 bottom.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
lil smoke said:
That's what my bro has been warning me about... he says to look for a 6000 bottom.

Yep, Roubini said the same (well he said another 20 to 30% down to go).

avaya

Ether_Snake said:
I don't get what happened there.

Short-squeeze.

Porsche announced they used derivatives to build a ~75% stake in Volkswagen, pretty much polishing off the takeover that has taken forever.

Hedge Funds were generally short car makers because of the current climate. They all rushed to cover their short positions, buying anything in a mad rush to make sure they don't destroyed. Short-squeeze. The herd behaviour caused a huge spike in the price as they applied overwhelming buying pressure.

It's not something to be happy about, it's market manipulation taken to the extreme.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'd be happy if I had Volks shares!:p

DOW +9%!

BWA up 25%, VCP at 19%

avaya

Second highest rise in history.

If the Fed cuts by 50bp or more tomorrow we will continue this and continue this further if ECB and BofE continue to cut.

Only thing, there was basically no volume today.

hermeez

avaya said:
Short-squeeze.

Porsche announced they used derivatives to build a ~75% stake in Volkswagen, pretty much polishing off the takeover that has taken forever.

Hedge Funds were generally short car makers because of the current climate. They all rushed to cover their short positions, buying anything in a mad rush to make sure they don't destroyed. Short-squeeze. The herd behaviour caused a huge spike in the price as they applied overwhelming buying pressure.

It's not something to be happy about, it's market manipulation taken to the extreme.

I saw this a few weeks ago, don't remember the source though.

fnrfb5.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ah now I get it. Sounds illegal, but probably isn't :lol

avaya

LIBOR is coming down very steadily and it's continuing to do so.

Equity volatility is expected since no one really know's how to price at the moment.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Well the difference is we got +10% in one day, not over ten days:p

avaya said:
LIBOR is coming down very steadily and it's continuing to do so.

Equity volatility is expected since no one really know's how to price at the moment.

Good news about the LIBOR.

The next three weeks will be so important. The Nov. 15th meeting especially. Whatever comes out of it will depend on how the situation is by then.

eznark

Banned
avaya said:
Second highest rise in history.

If the Fed cuts by 50bp or more tomorrow we will continue this and continue this further if ECB and BofE continue to cut.

Only thing, there was basically no volume today.

rally. I might hit 10 bu 11/1 yet (if that happens it will fucking plummet)

Huzah

The low volume today probably means todays rally was just probably a short squeeze as many hedge funds close out their global short positions to pay back their Volkswagen clusterfuck play.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Probably, but also I think that a major loss in the recent past leads to a strong desire for immediate short-term gains to make up for the recent loses, which leads to rallies when the market goes down to a certain level, only to lead to further drops soon after as people take their money out.

So we can expect, probably, even lower lows soon enough.

Nikkei up close to 600

iifu

Neo Member
Nintendo will probably lower their guidance on a stronger yen:

Forbes said:
The yen will also likely pressure the company's projections this year, which are currently based on an assumed exchange rate of 105 yen to the dollar and 160 yen to the euro. On Wednesday, the dollar was trading at 96.65 yen, while the euro stood at 122.6 yen. Credit Suisse estimates Nintendo's foreign exchange losses at 52.5 billion yen ($533.4 million) in the July-September period.

Asia and Europe up again today. Dead cat bounce?

Top Bottom