• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Ha ha... ha. It's funny... from a certain perspective this could make it seem as if the so-called "pay 2 win" gems were not meant to be pay to win, but a standard part of the starting gem set. And they were made pre-order bonuses in the US since the US is more exploitable.

Whether or not that is literally true, it does throw things into a different light to me.

They are an actual dlc code though for 3 gem packs, which I'm guessing would be for sale if you didn't have the code. For used copies I'm assuming (the used market here is huge). So I'm sure they'll get some income from it over here, but no where near what overseas markets give them.

My own impression so far is that the game under the hood really could be their best game since the classic era. For people who don't like such things, there's no focus attacks, parries, or really any "gimmicks" besides pure, core Street Fighter except with a tag system thrown in. And the tag system seems to reward skilled play and punish scrub play.

Unlike a Vs game, I don't think you can argue that there's "mindless" touch of death combos or super duper three hyper combo DHC chains that go on forever. Based on the early pro play, it looks like the game requires real skill to achieve big combos and tag juggle sequences. The boost chain system is just there to ease people in, but underneath it is a formidable game.

Ironically for all the cynicism and bitchin' that hounded it every step of the way, IMO it actually DOES achieve the goal of welcoming newcomers as gently as possible without neutering hardcore play.

Not going to comment cynically on the gems yet, as it's just too early for a lot of the negativity over the so-called "overpowered" gems because there's not even a damn metagame for the game yet. Nobody knows how to really use the gems. It's funny how people in the FGC gripe about noobs crying everything is overpowered within 15 minutes of playing the game, but everybody is bitching that X gem is GDLK and makes the game trash without even having seen the gem in action. (Or even played the game yet.)

As I've said before, I'm a casual. I've never been more than average at FG's and Ive played them all my life. I find the whole gem system intimidating rather than helpful and honestly if I did have the game, I'd rather just play without it.

Something keeps drawing me back to this game, something that not even marvel managed to do, although I love that game for the pure fan service. I really want to get my hands on the game, but I just refuse to reward or stand for all the nonsense that has come bundled with it.

It seems to me that Ono made his best game, but capcoms upper brass forced through a lot of Ill thought shit because they thought that this game could become the closest thing to call of duty for fighters, least in terms of sales.

Time will tell if they were right, but I have a feeling they aren't.

GorillaJu

Ha ha... ha. It's funny... from a certain perspective this could make it seem as if the so-called "pay 2 win" gems were not meant to be pay to win, but a standard part of the starting gem set. And they were made pre-order bonuses in the US since the US is more exploitable.

Whether or not that is literally true, it does throw things into a different light to me.

Japanese DLC is generally ridiculously overpriced. Serah's (FFXIII-2) "13 year old beach whore" costume is like 5 fucking dollars on Japanese Playstation Store. It's just the collectors edition / pre-order bonuses that arent really part of the culture. Probably because there are more than 3 major game retailers :p

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
They are an actual dlc code though for 3 gem packs, which I'm guessing would be for sale if you didn't have the code. For used copies I'm assuming (the used market here is huge). So I'm sure they'll get some income from it over here, but no where near what overseas markets give them.

Ya, I know that's not the literal situation. Just makes it look funny that Japan gets the gems in the box, even if as a way to fight used sales I guess.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Japanese DLC is generally ridiculously overpriced. Serah's (FFXIII-2) "13 year old beach whore" costume is like 5 fucking dollars on Japanese Playstation Store. It's just the collectors edition / pre-order bonuses that arent really part of the culture. Probably because there are more than 3 major game retailers :p

Cost of living here in Japan is much different in general. A normal size pizza is like 3000 yen, which in dollars equates to 40 something. A game of Persona 4 or SF4 at the arcades is 100 yen, as opposed to the 50 cents (?) it'd be in America. 500 yen dlc really doesn't strike me as expensive because to me that's just a few coins from my backpocket. In America though it's a 5er out of my wallet. Just different perspectives. I paid 6000 yen for a new copy of this game, but in a week or two it'll be 4000 used.

nHDR

Banned
For anyone who wants to know the absolute basics and fundamentals behind Akuma in SFxTK. Making a part 2 with advanced stuff very soon, appreciate any support, subscriptions, and anything else!

Really enjoying this game, hope you guys are as well!

SFxTK Akuma - Basics Guide 101

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I think I'm still on for the PC version but when it drops down in price.

About the alts, they look fun and I love the cosplay of opposite company's characters (capcom / namco).

My favorite Tekken character from back in the day.
734e65fb9d5fc327a84b5c5b98bde9b1a4fe7b6a.jpg

Datass.jpg outfit

I can't unsee the penis made out of hair on true ogres belly. :(

zlatko

Banned
Really wish they gave Steve this costume
180px-Steve_t5.jpg

Instead of thishttp://imgur.com/a/D69A6/embed#181

What is that?

:p

What do you mean what is that? That's mother fucking Charlie son. He flew planes into Bipson HQ's for your sins, so we could play SF's in the future.

Real talk... I wish Capcom would include in their next patch that Kazuya Mist step was a DP motion and not what it is now. ; ; I can do it consistently on one side of the screen np, but my fat hands and brain can't get shit going on the other to mist step, and without wave dashing you are only fighting at about 70% of what the character is capable of.

Also, fuck air to airs in this game. I swear nothing of mine ever beats Ken's jumping round house. ; ;

Julia is so goooood <3

her MK FP FP chain is godlike, you can spin cancel it and link a cFP or go into any number of mixups and frame traps. AND she can combo off her overhead.

She's the safe dudley/Guy pressure that I always wanted. Definitely hold me over until Vegaman.

Real talk... I wish Capcom would include in their next patch that Kazuya Mist step was a DP motion and not what it is now. ; ; I can do it consistently on one side of the screen np, but my fat hands and brain can't get shit going on the other to mist step, and without wave dashing you are only fighting at about 70% of what the character is capable of.

Do F HCF , then repeated QCFs, that usually works for me.

conman

Ironically for all the cynicism and bitchin' that hounded it every step of the way, IMO it actually DOES achieve the goal of welcoming newcomers as gently as possible without neutering hardcore play.
As a casual fighter, I'm really digging this game. Most of the combo inputs are really forgiving for noobs like me--especially with certain characters. It's all the mayhem of MvC with the tightness and diversity of SF. It's still not a perfectly welcoming game for players like me (for example, I wish the trials indicated the timing for combos). But a lot of it just feels right, and I can feel myself improving much more quickly than in other fighting games.

I just wish online wasn't so laggy. I've played a good dozen games and they've all been horrible. I really hope this can get fixed.

njean777

As a casual fighter, I'm really digging this game. Most of the combo inputs are really forgiving for noobs like me--especially with certain characters. It's all the mayhem of MvC with the tightness and diversity of SF. It's still not a perfectly welcoming game for players like me (for example, I wish the trials indicated the timing for combos). But a lot of it just feels right, and I can feel myself improving much more quickly than in other fighting games.

I just wish online wasn't so laggy. I've played a good dozen games and they've all been horrible. I really hope this can get fixed.

Yeah I play fighting games quite a bit, and even I have problems with the combos most of the time. I do wish fighting games could get better with there explanations in training modes.

LakeEarth

Julia is so goooood <3

her MK FP FP chain is godlike, you can spin cancel it and link a cFP or go into any number of mixups and frame traps. AND she can combo off her overhead.

She's the safe dudley/Guy pressure that I always wanted. Definitely hold me over until Vegaman.

SPIN CANCEL! I kept getting punished for that string but completely forgot to add a spin to the end of it and keep the pressure on.

How do you combo off the overhead? Counterhit?

DRE Fei

SPIN CANCEL! I kept getting punished for that string but completely forgot to add a spin to the end of it and keep the pressure on.

How do you combo off the overhead? Counterhit?

Overhead crumples on any hit. I usually follow up with delayed f+HP for the ground bounce, then f+mk mp rising kick. You can also follow up with f+mk mp f+mp to super.

Her spin after that chain actually leaves her very negative. It's smarter to cancel into QCB+P charge, then do an instant ff.mp. You can still somewhat be interrupted, but the timing very tight to get jabbed out of. You can get jabbed out of wind roll mixups for free. More combo possibilities with qcb+p (and the EX charge canceled into ff.mp for the free counter hit into another f.mk, mp,f.hp chain into more damage).

Her hcb+hp overhead is trash unless you get it off as a reversal against something *really* slow. You can get jabbed out of that on reaction and there's no mixup there either.

LakeEarth

Oh I didn't realize the stutter lunge punch was mid. I've never tried out that move cause everyone online are constantly spamming normals so I figured the stutter would leave me wide open.

Morris

Disco Devil
RE: Steve overhead (down forward+mp) ground bounce.

How do I get it? Do you need to do it off a stance or something? I've only done it a couple of times, I have no clue how it happened...

Also, I hit a 700 damage combo with Steve on some dude online. Feels good, man.

His normals still suck though, and he gets blown up pretty badly by low attacks and pokes. Just like Dudley :(

Tizoc

I hope you don't mind me asking this but, do guys, despite all the err 'complaints' the game's been having, like the game so far?
I'm really enjoying it a lot but I feel like a complete begginer at it when playing against a friend online (whom I have a full bar connection despite my low connection).

Bizazedo

I hope you don't mind me asking this but, do guys, despite all the err 'complaints' the game's been having, like the game so far?
I'm really enjoying it a lot but I feel like a complete begginer at it when playing against a friend online (whom I have a full bar connection despite my low connection).

I enjoy it a lot offline.

I am forced to play online the vast majority of the time.

It leaves me sad.

Tizoc

I enjoy it a lot offline.

I am forced to play online the vast majority of the time.

It leaves me sad.

Mute the TV and play music off your pc, etc. Playing the music you like and that get you pumped could help in your performence ;D

I dont know if this is the dial-a-combo system messing with me, but I CANNOT do marduk's cr.MP to Gator Slam. crMP>crHP comes out instead every single time.

wat do =(

brian

My own impression so far is that the game under the hood really could be their best game since the classic era. For people who don't like such things, there's no focus attacks, parries, or really any "gimmicks" besides pure, core Street Fighter except with a tag system thrown in. And the tag system seems to reward skilled play and punish scrub play.

Unlike a Vs game, I don't think you can argue that there's "mindless" touch of death combos or super duper three hyper combo DHC chains that go on forever. Based on the early pro play, it looks like the game requires real skill to achieve big combos and tag juggle sequences. The boost chain system is just there to ease people in, but underneath it is a formidable game.

Ironically for all the cynicism and bitchin' that hounded it every step of the way, IMO it actually DOES ,achieve the goal of welcoming newcomers as gently as possible without neutering hardrcore play.

Not going to comment cynically on the gems yet, as it's just too early for a lot of the negativity over the so-called "overpowered" gems because there's not even a damn metagame for the game yet. Nobody knows how to really use the gems. It's funny how people in the FGC gripe about noobs crying everything is overpowered within 15 minutes of playing the game, but everybody is bitching that X gem is GDLK and makes the game trash without even having seen the gem in action. (Or even played the game yet.)

Man, I agree. This game is an absolute pleasure so far. I think most of the stuff that pissed me off about SF4 is gone, and the team based strategy is slightly reminiscent of Marvel but in a more playable form. The chain/link system is perfect as it lets people play the game adequately at any level. Even as an intermediate player, I can chain into more guaranteed damage or I can try for links, which I still suck at in this game. It took me a long time to be able to consistently combo into supers/ultras in SF4, especially on the fly, but in this game I have a much better chance of surveying the situation mid-combo and decide what kind of damage I want to deal. Honestly, I have no gripes with the game's design at this point.

Which makes the rest of the bullshit surrounding this game damn near heartbreaking. At this point it doesn't seem like they are planning to patch in Xbox 360 same console online co-op, which is a travesty. I like the idea of gems, but not the idea of paying for stronger gems and the pre-order stuff was a major turn off. The auto-combo system could be an interesting, but you've gotta be kidding me with selling combos. Capcom may have made the best fighting game I've ever played, and they're doing everything else wrong.

Top Bottom