• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I play the same exact team too. What don't you get about this team? I find it pretty simple. I want to drop Rolento since everyone and their mama is using him though, but he's like the perfect fit for Steve's meter hogging ass.

Oh and here's another stream going on. (Norcal)

http://www.twitch.tv/finestko

My steve is ass cause i havent had the time to learn his bnbs and how to consistently keep pressure. Ive been going streaking when i use anyone BUT steve as my second character.

since this game is going to have so many final fight characters then capcom should just go ahead and make final fight vs street fighter. that way sodom can be in another fighting game again.
I think at this point Final Fight and Street Fighter are already the exact same universe. Every SF has been SF vs FF since Alpha, which I like a lot. They just need to figure out a way to get Haggar in on it without being too much of a Zangief clone. We've seen Guy, Cody, Maki, Hugo, Poison, Sodom and Rolento all in SF games, but Haggar has only shown up in MvC. It ain't right.

alstein

Seems pretty strong, Alioune plays her, she has great AA options and good footies for a Tekken character, a real meter whore though.

I think she beats Dhalsim at least, a lot of Tekken chars seem to have real problems vs Sim. Not Lili though.

DRE Fei

LOLOL NO waaaaaaaaaaaaaay no wayyyyyyyyyyyyy no her anti air is fucking amazing.

down HP vs mid range, lk upkick vs close range, back dash vs cross overs

Oh and julia's anti air is better than ogres btw

Down HP is that good? I'll try it out. I'm just getting stuffed out of everything I do. LK upkick trades a lot. I'm not a fan of it, and I end up abusing her backdash on wake up since I'm getting rushed the fuck down.

How is Julia's anti air better than Ogre's? Does she have something with godlike invincibility that covers both sides of her body and is relatively safe?

Sblargh

Banned
Tekken characters look so much harder to learn, but they do bring so much fun new stuff to the table. I really want to learn Asuka now. Sweep throws? Counter? Juggle-friendly DP? lots of overheads? Oh yeah!

hertog

funny, when I'm playing against better people my Guile/King team works great.
But against Shoto Scrubs I murder them by just spamming 360 throws with Zangief Hugo. They spam Shoryuken, I spam back.

Sblargh

Banned
funny, when I'm playing against better people my Guile/King team works great.
But against Shoto Scrubs I murder them by just spamming 360 throws with Zangief Hugo. They spam Shoryuken, I spam back.

Gotta practice those fundamentals. I remember on the beggining of SF4 people complaining at "flowchart ken" and I was too, then someone said "but they are scrubs by definition, you can't lose to them".
So I learned that learning how to beat scrub tactics is very important, because it prepares you against a lot of the basic stuff that, while it won't be spammed, will happen a lot in a "real" match.

For example, my main problem right now are throws. So, I win against people doing a lot of fancy stuff, but then they start to throw and it always gets me because I am with this stupid "throws suck in this game" mentality. It's not the guy's fault for abandoning his super combos and setups that ain't working for the throws that gets me killed. Gotta learn how to tech on this game.

Gotta practice those fundamentals. I remember on the beggining of SF4 people complaining at "flowchart ken" and I was too, then someone said "but they are scrubs by definition, you can't lose to them".
So I learned that learning how to beat scrub tactics is very important, because it prepares you against a lot of the basic stuff that, while it won't be spammed, will happen a lot in a "real" match.

It is funny that after a while I came to respect the Kens who stuck to the flowchart and perfected it. Was an interesting test of the anti-flowchart technology, and no easy win.

hertog

Also while it's very easy to connect with an alpha counter with Guile. I haven't found any use for it.

Meter is everything with King, so I don't want to waste it with Guile.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Down HP is that good? I'll try it out. I'm just getting stuffed out of everything I do. LK upkick trades a lot. I'm not a fan of it, and I end up abusing her backdash on wake up since I'm getting rushed the fuck down.

How is Julia's anti air better than Ogre's? Does she have something with godlike invincibility that covers both sides of her body and is relatively safe?

It's better because her down HP alone covers half the damn screen's air space, ogres sphere has REALLY REALLY bad range

hertog

Finally started winning most of my matches and got a D+ rank :)

Guile normals are just godlike. King only plays like: Arrive, Hop Knee combo, leave

just had a cr. lk, cr. lk, cr. mp, flashkick, switch, hop knee x3 superart musclebustah combo for 600 damage

Ferrio

Banned
2v2 mode is great. Though man my king sucks.. need to figure out some good combos with him, jump ins aren't that helpful

LordAlu

For example, my main problem right now are throws. So, I win against people doing a lot of fancy stuff, but then they start to throw and it always gets me because I am with this stupid "throws suck in this game" mentality. It's not the guy's fault for abandoning his super combos and setups that ain't working for the throws that gets me killed. Gotta learn how to tech on this game.
I'm trying to remember to press LP+LK whilst in blockstun so I can tech any throws, but I keep forgetting :(

hertog

2v2 mode is great. Though man my king sucks.. need to figure out some good combos with him, jump ins aren't that helpful

Don't try to get close with King, switch him in when you're close with your point character.

If you must use King from a distance, just take the damge and try to get close for a jump in MK cross-up, mix-ups from jaguarstep or just rush them with Ex-Convict Kick or Ex-Reverse Arm Slam Combo.

DO NOT try to spam his throws like he's Zangief

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I found a coupon code for bradygames so you can get the e-book guide for around 13 dollars.

Enter the code B-22-Z at checkout.(20% off any purchase)

I went with the e-guide so I can use it on my iPad.

-PXG-

I found a coupon code for bradygames so you can get the e-book guide for around 13 dollars.

Enter the code B-22-Z at checkout.(20% off any purchase)

I went with the e-guide so I can use it on my iPad.
Now I finally have a reason to buy a tablet or a second monitor.

AAK

Any East Coast PSN GAFers awake for a couple hours of some matches? Need to really learn this game.

Also... WTF supers don't have armor breaking capacity??? Hugo's charge absorbed Hwoarang's super... that made me kind of mad. Anyone know which moves can break Armor?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Any East Coast PSN GAFers awake for a couple hours of some matches? Need to really learn this game.

Also... WTF supers don't have armor breaking capacity??? Hugo's charge absorbed Hwoarang's super... that made me kind of mad. Anyone know which moves can break Armor?

Moves that hit twice, this isn't sf4

Degen

I can't believe I'm up this early, but... I can play for a little while. Dragon17013

also, there are a lot of multi-hit moves. Spamming jabs might work (might not; I forget lol)

AAK

I can't believe I'm up this early, but... I can play for a little while. Dragon17013

also, there are a lot of multi-hit moves. Spamming jabs might work (might not; I forget lol)

Joining :)

EDIT: My internet connection crapped out... But GG's! I need to learn to properly jump against Hugo :(

So for someone who is a complete noob at fighters/beat em ups(trying to learn stick also), should online just be ignored? I have tried about 5 matches online and each time been paired up with a d class but 500-700bp. I barely get a hit in.

I need some scrub friends to play with to cure that online/vs another human crave I get.

Degen

Joining :)

EDIT: My internet connection crapped out... But GG's! I need to learn to properly jump against Hugo :(
GGs. Team Kicks. I respect that

Yeah, Hugo's anti-air is ridiculous. All he has to do is make a good guess and it's like getting hit with his 360+P from across the screen

That was a pretty good overhead/low mix-up when you were tagging Juri in.

Hugo just fits the game perfectly. His combos are short so they don't get hit with the damage scaling that other peoples combos have to deal with. That and he does so much damage to begin with.
hugo has a crappy abc series so they rely on solo combos. honestly, a lot of people have good solo combos, but they go to abc because its simpler or because tag combos look flashier. imo, the damage isn't that great and they need to start developing their solo character bnbs. only reason to use chain launchers is to tag in your teamate for free. right now, i'm really loving hwaorang and ibuki solo combos.

Can anyone give me some tips, suggestions for Kazuya?

Things I'd like to learn:

1. Good pokes, normals to focus on?

2. What can I use that is quick to punish something I block?

3. What can I use that is good, air to air? How about anti-airs? (I play people who jump a disgusting amount)

4. Any suggestions of good combos to practice and grind out? Especially something meterless? For a 1 meter combo, I tend to like doing LP, MP, MK, HP xx QCB PP, and then I just mash nonsense after the ground bounce :(

5. Lastly, what should I use after he is tagged in from a launcher?

Also, if anyone wants to tackle any of these same questions for Heihachi and Marduk, please feel free :)

Thanks

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Think I've settled on Heihachi as a main. He's just so damn GOOD. Shitty mobility but everything else is great. Just need to find a partner for him now.

Jenga

Banned
Remove Rolento from the game or just fucking flash nerf the dude. He's just too fucking good in this fucking game. Jesus. Or I do I have to run an all meter building char/gem team just so I can alpha counter 24/7? This dude is just way too good.

Revven

Remove Rolento from the game or just fucking flash nerf the dude. He's just too fucking good in this fucking game. Jesus. Or I do I have to run an all meter building char/gem team just so I can alpha counter 24/7? This dude is just way too good.

Game's only been out for like... 5 days, give it time for people to actually discover what counters Rolento. Calling for a nerf this soon is ridiculous.

nHDR

Banned
Can anyone give me some tips, suggestions for Kazuya?

Things I'd like to learn:

1. Good pokes, normals to focus on?
B+MP absorbs one hit, can lead into his Northern Lights Slam. ST. MP > ST. FP is one of his target combos, is done from further away. Check it out in trial mode.

2. What can I use that is quick to punish something I block?
CR. FP xx Gator Slam? Barely used Marduk, this is the best I have for now.

3. What can I use that is good, air to air? How about anti-airs? (I play people who jump a disgusting amount)
AA = Gator Slam. Its great.

4. Any suggestions of good combos to practice and grind out? Especially something meterless? For a 1 meter combo, I tend to like doing LP, MP, MK, HP xx QCB PP, and then I just mash nonsense after the ground bounce :(
Hit trial mode with Marduk and memorize those combos.

5. Lastly, what should I use after he is tagged in from a launcher?
Anything linking into Gator Slam.

Thanks
Answered some questions about Marduk. Again, go complete his trials and you'll see what your options are. :) Hope that helps.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Nerf the whole game. Remove half the cast and force the sound glitch during single player. This is the type of change I can get behind.

Jenga

Banned
Rolento has some of the best footsies in the game, best tag-in potential in the game, some of the best mobility in the game, some of the best tech in the game, one of the safest characters in the game. He has a great rushdown, has a great poking game. His only apparent weakness is a mechanic that costs you two meter.

5 days, 5 weeks, 5 months it doesn't matter, it doesn't take a pro to see that Rolento is going to be the tour de force of this game. At best he might get a counter-pick down the line but I don't see this character ever going below anything but top tier.

Hell, my favourite character is Adon so I should be playing this dude right now but I don't like feeling filthy.

h3ro

No way. These posts are why Sentinel is a shadow of his former self. :/

Hugo and Rolento need time to be figured out.

How can you say he has the best footsies when we've barely seen what most of the Tekken characters are capable of. Again, give it time.

V_Arnold

Jenga is right, Rolento is pure and utter bullshit.
You do not need 2+ months to see that.

Of course, bullshit can stay in the game if that is what you like, but I just do not get what Capcom's team was thinking when making him the way he is made. Really. Really....

Revven

Rolento has some of the best footsies in the game, best tag-in potential in the game, some of the best mobility in the game, some of the best tech in the game, one of the safest characters in the game. He has a great rushdown, has a great poking game. His only apparent weakness is a mechanic that costs you two meter.

5 days, 5 weeks, 5 months it doesn't matter, it doesn't take a pro to see that Rolento is going to be the tour de force of this game. At best he might get a counter-pick down the line but I don't see this character ever going below anything but top tier.

Hell, my favourite character is Adon so I should be playing this dude right now but I don't like feeling filthy.

At the beginning of any fighting game's life, there has always been a character or two that are strong at the start with people having difficulty against them. Until much later on, where they actually find something or someone that beats him/her. Half of the cast is completely unexplored even, with only part of that cast only scratching the surface on (Heihachi, Jin, and Kazuya come to mind). You even only see those three characters use the same combos over and over again, because they're also not very explored yet either, but at least they're more explored than what we can say about Kuma or Hworang (sp?)

You need to give it time. It's stupid to just nerf him just because out the gate he's more developed than the other characters people have now just started using. The game is in the hands of the players now, it's up to them to find what beats Rolento. Having the developer nerf him when there's no proof he is the end all be all one year from now (or months from now) is just a scapegoat mentality that I, personally, hate that has only come about from the fact that the developer is capable of patching the game. Therefore, has generated this mentality "If I can't beat him, the developer should nerf him!" giving no depth to a character's life in a fighting game because they get changed right away due to fan outcry... giving no time to find anything out about them.

Sentinel is an example of this, getting unfair health nerfs just because the more vocal players (who weren't very good at the game to begin with) were crying about him taking forever to KO + all the armor on most of his attacks.

Either figure things out or don't, but don't ruin the game for everyone else just because you want to have better chances against a character because the dev nerfs him/her and not because the community figured something out.

Jenga

Banned
At the beginning of any fighting game's life, there has always been a character or two that are strong at the start with people having difficulty against them. Until much later on, where they actually find something or someone that beats him/her. Half of the cast is completely unexplored even, with only part of that cast only scratching the surface on (Heihachi, Jin, and Kazuya come to mind). You even only see those three characters use the same combos over and over again, because they're also not very explored yet either, but at least they're more explored than what we can say about Kuma or Hworang (sp?)

You need to give it time. It's stupid to just nerf him just because out the gate he's more developed than the other characters people have now just started using. The game is in the hands of the players now, it's up to them to find what beats Rolento. Having the developer nerf him when there's no proof he is the end all be all one year from now (or months from now) is just a scapegoat mentality that I, personally, hate that has only come about from the fact that the developer is capable of patching the game. Therefore, has generated this mentality "If I can't beat him, the developer should nerf him!" giving no depth to a character's life in a fighting game because they get changed right away due to fan outcry... giving no time to find anything out about them.

Sentinel is an example of this, getting unfair health nerfs just because the more vocal players (who weren't very good at the game to begin with) were crying about him taking forever to KO + all the armor on most of his attacks.

Either figure things out or don't, but don't ruin the game for everyone else just because you want to have better chances against a character because the dev nerfs him/her and not because the community figured something out.
Right, well I'll see you at Evo when Rolento is the Wesker of sfxt at evo

V_Arnold

And you could have given the same speech about Sagat or Rufus in Vanilla SFIV, about Yun/Fei in SSFIV:AE, about Wesker in UMVC3 and about Phoenix in MVC3. They all were recognized to be godlike , they were, and you could have said "but give it time, guys" - in the end, no time was necessary for obvious things to be recognized.

One can speculate about LOW level characters, about them having some hidden tech that bumps them up on a tier list. But there are ALWAYS characters who will be able to get away with the cheapest and most brainded stuff - and the only way for them to go down in usefulness is if suddenly EVERYONE ELSE improves tenfold, and they (the Rolento players) just stagnate. Why assume Rolento tech will stagnate, why assume that EVERY matchup is just undiscovered from the opponents part?

DRE Fei

Well, this is why gems are in the game. I think later on people will counter pick with gems as well as characters. I'm guessing one of the meter building gems will be good for getting alpha counters against him.

I agree that Rolento is really good but we still don't know what the 100% counter pick character for him is yet. This is a Capcom game, so there's a good chance that people will find it eventually.

rac

Banned
Rolento isn't even scary to fight. You know what the Rolento player is going to try and do every single time.
Characters like Hwoarang are insane. Almost every tekken character is scarier and have more options than Rolento.

Jenga

Banned
The thing is everyone is saying Ryu, Hugo, and Steve are the week 1 champs
Ryu will always be the champ. I don't see how this guy can not be this game's top tier. Hugo is really really good and has some nasty shit going for him but I don't see him being an OP super-beast. Steve has some really strong technical shit going on for him and I think he'll get his Gamerbee soon enough, but I don't think he'll break top tier either.

Top Bottom