• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

"I've been running into Rolento's that don't do the first rekka in a blockstring ever. Annoying."

Backdashes are still invincible. Unleash your inner Rose/Chun-li.

Ferrio

Banned
433 for one bar with Megaman:
549 for 3 bars:

jFP, clFP xx EX Ice Shot, L Mega Uppercut, cMP xx FP xx Super

Neat, I almost get that much for a 0 bar Hugo combo.

Also might of found my 2nd character. Just in training mode.. but I got this feeling this is the one.

zlatko

Banned
I fought one good Yoshi/Vega player the other day. He had like 3K BP so he definitely had success with his team and had put time into it. Unfortunately for him my Rolento and Kazuya completely destroyed him.

He was relying on the fact most people wouldn't probably know the Yoshi match up or how the character players, but I have played around with everyone and damn near read the strategy guide cover to cover, so none of his bull shit was going to fly.

I respected the Yoshi play though, because he did confirm into a big ass combo on me in the corner into the super. However, he lost because he would jump way too much at the same times and would lose out to Rolento's best air to air of jump LK, which countered and set up free juggle combos for me.

Shouta

Argh Rolento is absolutely infuriating to fight against. What are you even supposed to do? He has constant frame advantage up close, beats out my pokes in footsies range, and has a great anti-air. I'm so mad after fighting 3 Rolento's in a row.

Yep. Most of his other stuff is kinda deal-able but that frame advantage in close and then the anti-air is just ugh.

But Alpha countering the Rekkas to keep him off of you is a good idea but getting in on him is another story.

Shouta

What is the timing for alpha countering anyway? I should probably try put it into my game

During your block. Rolento's baton twirl keeps you in the block animation for awhile so it's very easy to get the alpha counter off on him. It'll keep him off you for a bit but you still have to deal with everything else.

Xevren

Guess I'm kinda lucky with Abel and his cross counter, it's insanely useful on Rolento since it's his light roll. Cancel quick on a baton twirl and hit him from behind.

Imm0rt4l

Wanna combo after Vega's overhead or Ibuki's spin kicks? Better rewire that select button.

So I take it you weren't in the practice of comboing off dudleys overhead in sf4? Or perhaps you plinked roundhouse instead of cr jab->roundhouse. I don't plink, since I'm a pad player.

LowParry

Why didn't anyone say that Kuma is so damn fun to play? Kuma and Kaz teaming up to fighting demons and wrestlers. Have had some pretty good success with the pair. Kuma's win dance is like the dagger in the heart. So so good.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
With Chun-Li, light/ex kikouken combos to super across the entire stage. It's just funny to see.

Shame that hk SBK switch cancel doesn't give enough time to meterless supers

SupaNaab

I have some anti-roll tech that may apply to any characters with a command dash, but specifically works with Ibuki. Not actually corner specific, but the body of your opponent must land pretty close if its mid-screen although sweeps are great for this and possibly throws too.

Ibuki: Use HK command dash twice near the corner so that the opponent wakes up in the corner EVERYTIME. When you successfully get a knockdown (through combo or juggle) do an HK command dash twice. After inputting the first one, the opponent will begin to wake up. If they do a forward roll they will roll into the corner. When you finish the second dash you will be safe from what appears to be everything larger than 3 frames. Ryu could mash an SRK out (but he has to know which side you are going to end up on which is already difficult to visually see) or your opponent has to hit a 1 frame link to counter with a move like Ryu's stand jab.

This same scenario should be applicable to other characters with command dash-like moves. If you hit an air juggle you may have to cut it short and just dash under. The problem is getting yourself out of the corner before they wake up though.

Although I have the 360 version at home, whilst killing time before going to work I stopped by at Micro Center and they had it on display on a PS3. With a pad.

I'm used to an arcade stick. My god, those pad controls are awful. You should never play a 6 button game with 4 face buttons and 2 shoulder buttons. It's just terrible. I managed to make it to about stage 5 or 6 in Arcade Mode. I didn't realize when you're so used to playing stick your reaction time is much, much slower on a pad.

Just, awful

kirblar

Why didn't anyone say that Kuma is so damn fun to play? Kuma and Kaz teaming up to fighting demons and wrestlers. Have had some pretty good success with the pair. Kuma's win dance is like the dagger in the heart. So so good.
Because no one was using Hunting Stance.

I have some anti-roll tech that may apply to any characters with a command dash, but specifically works with Ibuki. Not actually corner specific, but the body of your opponent must land pretty close if its mid-screen although sweeps are great for this and possibly throws too.

Ibuki: Use HK command dash twice near the corner so that the opponent wakes up in the corner EVERYTIME. When you successfully get a knockdown (through combo or juggle) do an HK command dash twice. After inputting the first one, the opponent will begin to wake up. If they do a forward roll they will roll into the corner. When you finish the second dash you will be safe from what appears to be everything larger than 3 frames. Ryu could mash an SRK out (but he has to know which side you are going to end up on which is already difficult to visually see) or your opponent has to hit a 1 frame link to counter with a move like Ryu's stand jab.

This same scenario should be applicable to other characters with command dash-like moves. If you hit an air juggle you may have to cut it short and just dash under. The problem is getting yourself out of the corner before they wake up though.

But then you lose your wakeup mixup and frame advantage just to guarantee a slightly worse position? It'd be great as a mixup itself once in a while, but once they know they have frame advantage you're just asking for a blockstring.

I don't have the game on right now, but couldn't you option select the command dash during a forward roll with HK Tsumuji?

simtmb

Just got the game, going through the characters and there's a lot i like using so I'm having trouble deciding on a team. Only character I'm definitely using 100% is Julia, just undecided on the pairing.

SupaNaab

But then you lose your wakeup mixup and frame advantage just to guarantee a slightly worse position? It'd be great as a mixup itself once in a while, but once they know they have frame advantage you're just asking for a blockstring.

I don't have the game on right now, but couldn't you option select the command dash during a forward roll with HK Tsumuji?

Yes, you are correct. It's works akin to a safe jump in SFIV that leaves you at -4. Anyone without a 3 frame move can only hope to land a safe blockstring. It is indeed probably most effective on players when used sparingly. It should really destroy anyone who hasn't seen it though or forgets about it. It would be extremely unlikely a Sagat player would realize and correctly execute a 1 frame cr.LK in reaction to it, and a reversal SRK from him would be his demise. Hopefully other characters can explore the wakeup options with tricks akin to this.

I've noticed during a cross rush with Dictator running in, he can teleport to either side and is safe from ALL reversals. Dhalsim is punished by those same 3 frame reversals though. These aren't tricks for increasing damage directly, it's for establishing positional advantage in the safest way possible. In Dictator's case he can safely reverse corner positioning if his teammate can perform a cross rush with their back to the wall as opposed to adding damage (that could be scaled) and ending in the mid screen.

Jenga

Banned
After taking Law out into the wild against the best players in my area, I'm gonna have to say I might have to just shelf Law. He's simply too unsafe. Matchups against many of the top characters (raven, kazuya, ryu, rolento, hugo) are an uphill battle. I may bring him back as an anchor, but he just gets rumbled hardcore by the best point characters. He's not bad, but the fights against the better characters are just in their favor. Law is gonna end up with a ton of terrible matchups in critical fights.

Law gets stuffed for a variety of reasons.

1. Timing on anti-fireball moves. While other characters can dash/move straight through Law has to anticipate with a slide or dragon knuckle fly-kick. The former isn't bad and the latter can cover ground very nicely, however it isn't seamless and it usually leaves him at a disadvantage once the opponent actually knows how Law works.

2. Frame traps get stuffed by characters with better normals. Raven and Kazuya don't give 3 shits about his shenanigans. Ex FFR rarely catches Raven and merely trades with half the stuff Kazuya rolls out (but with smart timing he can follow up with punishing dash knuckle)

3. lack of reliable AA. Dash knuckling through jump ins works fine but crossups give him a huge amount of trouble. Law can dish out the pressure but if the opponent are aware of how EX FFR works Law is stuck where he is. Same thing with ex knuckle. It's decent for catching people unaware but people who know how Law works just don't care.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Although I have the 360 version at home, whilst killing time before going to work I stopped by at Micro Center and they had it on display on a PS3. With a pad.

I'm used to an arcade stick. My god, those pad controls are awful. You should never play a 6 button game with 4 face buttons and 2 shoulder buttons. It's just terrible. I managed to make it to about stage 5 or 6 in Arcade Mode. I didn't realize when you're so used to playing stick your reaction time is much, much slower on a pad.

Just, awful

Pad is fine for execution and reaction times. I'm sorry you suck with one.

hertog

Got my ass handed last night against a friend of mine who plays Hugo. I just keep attacking him and he won;t die, one combo and I lose more than my health :(

He feels like an unstoppable Juggernaut

Jenga

Banned
Got my ass handed last night against a friend of mine who plays Hugo. I just keep attacking him and he won;t die, one combo and I lose more than my health :(

He feels like an unstoppable Juggernaut

armor on non ex monster lariat

that's probably the weirdest thing and the reason why he is dominating atm

people just don't know how to deal with it yet

Nose Master

armor on non ex monster lariat

that's probably the weirdest thing and the reason why he is dominating atm

people just don't know how to deal with it yet

Got a fast jab? Jab twice. Walk up and throw. Wait for it to hit, block, and punish (-7). Wait for him to dash out of it, punish that (he has some of the slowest dashes in the game).

Jenga

Banned
Got a fast jab? Jab twice. Walk up and throw. Wait for it to hit, block, and punish (-7). Wait for him to dash out of it, punish that (he has some of the slowest dashes in the game).
Yeah I'm fine with him, just pointing out the problems most people have. I'm more scared of hugo anchor tag-ins. Hugo himself? Meh. Although I do admit underestimating his cr.mp occasionally.

Nose Master

Yeah I'm fine with him, just pointing out the problems most people have. I'm more scared of hugo anchor tag-ins. Hugo himself? Meh. Although I do admit underestimating his cr.mp occasionally.

I'd say the claps are worse, tbh. +13(ish) on block? Jesus.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'd say the claps are worse, tbh. +13(ish) on block? Jesus.

He's designed around having parry. No more parry? Sucks for you. The problem is, he's so big he needs those advantages and such. If you take away or even cut in half the things that make him good in this, he will be instant garbage

Just got the game, going through the characters and there's a lot i like using so I'm having trouble deciding on a team. Only character I'm definitely using 100% is Julia, just undecided on the pairing.

Looks like Julia is getting all the Makoto type love.

So far, my game with is poke and counter hit until they do something stupid, then tag in Marduk for the damage or if needed comeback potential.

Kazuya is probably also a good choice, but you can probably pair him with a sock and it would be a good team.

Top Bottom