• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

Unfortunately, SFxT sucks. I have a local group that gets together to play fighting games every week, and nobody wants to play this. Some are even selling it already.

The troll characters are abominations. Those stupid fucking cats? MEGA-MAN? PAC-MAN, are you kidding me.

Gems are lame. Pandora is lame. The game is barely coherent as a fighting game (you lose if a one character loses all health, but if it's a time out the winner is both characters' combined health), and barely fun.

The Xiaoyu infinite... lol. At least the Kazuya one took some skill.

The DLC 'strategy' I could have lived with if the game was great. SFxT is just all sorts of wrong.

V_Arnold

Unfortunately, SFxT sucks. I have a local group that gets together to play fighting games every week, and nobody wants to play this. Some are even selling it already.

The troll characters are abominations. Those stupid fucking cats? MEGA-MAN? PAC-MAN, are you kidding me.

Gems are lame. Pandora is lame. The game is barely coherent as a fighting game (you lose if a one character loses all health, but if it's a time out the winner is both characters' combined health), and barely fun.

The DLC 'strategy' I could have lived with if the game was great. XFxT is just all sorts of wrong.

What reality are you in? Cause we surely do not share it :D

goldensun

Did you guys see me on stream VS. Floe last night on WNF?!

I got bodied :( But I won like every other match I played against randoms that night :) Minus like maybe 3 (I played a ton of casuals).

I got dem tourney nerves! Hopefully I can start going to more tournaments and showing what I can really do.

Jenga

Banned

The DLC 'strategy' I could have lived with if the game was great. SFxT is just all sorts of wrong.

you guys goin back to blazblue?

There's only one.
e5117040.gif

The game is barely coherent as a fighting game (you lose if a one character loses all health, but if it's a time out the winner is both characters' combined health)

You callin' Tekken Tag Tournament 'barely coherant'? Hmm......

LowParry

It's like this guy is living a months time back. lol

V_Arnold

Also, not counting both character's HP at time out would be incoherent, because that would encourage you to keep one character's HP as low as possible before tagging out - and that is unintuitive and also boring, as you could create a runaway team where you just....run away, and then tag in in the last second with your secondary (always Hugo, for example :D)

y2dvd

Steve seriously needs a better jump in. The SF boxers didn't have any crossovers, but they had a quick, short jump with a meaty HK. Steve jumps really high and all of his jump-ins are terrible in comparison. If he's gonna jump that high, at least give him a crossover.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Since people are going to tear in to you I thought I'd put a bandaid on the wounds by saying I agree with some of the things you say.

Unfortunately, SFxT sucks.

Nah, it's actually a pretty good fighting game.

The troll characters are abominations.

Yeah they look terrible, though one can argue how they're hindering your enjoyment of the game somehow.

Gems are lame.

I agree, having played the game I feel gems are unnecessary and just a gimmick. I don't see why we would ever need them, looking at a potential list of 500~ gems I'm struck with the feeling of "less is more" in this aspect of the game. I'm well aware that gems change the meta-game but why stop there? Why not put +stats on the alts? Or different properties from each custom color.

Pandora is lame.

Haven't really played online that much, nobody has used it against me nor do I have any plans of using it right now. Don't think it's lame though, just another superfluous mechanic. Now X-factor, that's lame.

The game is barely coherent as a fighting game (you lose if a one character loses all health, but if it's a time out the winner is both characters' combined health), and barely fun.

I'd like to have to lose both fighters in order to lose the game, though since I understand that this is based on some prior tag-team concept I guess this is simply the way it is.

Fighting games have infinites, they'll get patched out. I see them as the bugs of the fg-genre nothing preposterous about having a handful of infinites that in the end will always get fixed.

The DLC 'strategy' I could have lived with if the game was great.

I hate the "dlc" aspect of this game. The amount of nickle and diming they're doing one would be under the impression that the game was a F2P title. I don't trust Seth ( or any other Capcom representative for that matter ) when they say " oh no, you're jumping to the wrong conclusions."

The micro-transaction ( it's not dlc ) is the one and only major flaw/blemish of SFxT in my book ( that can't be fixed with a patch, e.g not broken sound, bugs, online, infinites etc ).

edit : well the lack of 360 local online co-op is another shitty flaw come to think of it.

Are people actually encountering these infinites in real matches, or are they just something novel people are finding.

I can't believe (OK, I can but...) that people would play matches online and do infinites just to win - that is some boring fucking shit. What would the the point of that even be? I don't get it - and if I ever encounter it, I'll just DC, I don't care about ratios and that stuff.

Nah. Spencer, Dormammu, Cap... those are the scary anchors.

I don't mean to derail the thread. I think my rant is legit, I wish it wasn't the case. I want every fighting game to be great.

This is subjective. Not every game is going to be exactly the same.
SFxT is obviously very different from Marvel.

edit: Not to say that Marvel is great and SFxT isn't.

Venfayth

The Xiao infinite is a pretty tight link now that I've checked it out myself. You'll be lucky to get 10 reps of it online, at which point the damage is about a normal combo (albeit at no meter cost and probably 15-20 seconds consumed)

Regardless, it'll probably be patched anyway.

LakeEarth

Nah. Spencer, Dormammu, Cap... those are the scary anchors.

I don't mean to derail the thread. I think my rant is legit, I wish it wasn't the case. I want every fighting game to be great.

Maybe you guys are too used to high paced Marvel fun. That's fine, go back to it if you guys want.

I look at SFxT as the game to regain the interest of people who love SFIV but can't get good at Marvel. But it also has that "crazy" element to grab some Marvel fans too.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Ok, that is entirely reasonable.

I wish I could share your conviction.

$1.25 x 2 x ~50 = ~ $125 for the alts alone if bought piecemeal, which might very well a "forced" option if they're going the same route as they did with the sf4 alts - releasing them in small packs successively and having a complete pack months later.

But hey, I guess one could "just buy for the fighter you want".

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
1.People don't want bundles.
2.Capcom lets you purchase the things you actually want instead.
3.People don't want that either.

I for one never purchased any costume packs for characters in any fighting games. I am really not interested in playing dress up.

ShinAmano

Catching up with the outfit dlc price I have to laugh. Sure a dollar an outfit is cheap, but when you have 2 alts per 50 characters that is crazy.

Hopefully there is a bundle for each set of alts in the $15 range. That would cut the price from $100 - $30...so it probably won't happen.

Also if an outfit is $1 the characters themselves will probably be $3-4 each (or more).

Capcom charged $60+$100+$36...seriously wtf.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

Oh man you're gonna get ripped a new one for this. For what it's worth, the game definitely didn't click with me at all, even with Hugo rockin', but I can appreciate its appeal. If KoF XIII didn't exist I probably would have forced myself to really spend time with it despite my general disappointment with Capcom since SF4. That said, I can't call it a bad game--just one that isn't for me. I'm the same with MvC.

Wizpig

I was using Chun - Kuma, their butt is almost the same size 3:
At least she doesn't, er, you know, do that
in canon.

Until they swap the character models or something in the PC version.

/bad mental image

I find Kuma fun, but give me tips, because i suck with him.
If you go to the second stance and press <- heavy punch he does the roll, which is neat because you can "run away" if someone blocks... if you press <- HP he does the Hulk (MvC3)... any other semi-safe stuff?

LowParry

I'm still new to Kuma so I've just been sticking with his hcf attacks because of the overhead it has. Throws people off. And it hits like a truck. After a week or so, I'll have a better understanding.

Wizpig

I'm still new to Kuma so I've just been sticking with his hcf attacks because of the overhead it has. Throws people off. And it hits like a truck. After a week or so, I'll have a better understanding.
Ok; i went from Cammy, to Poison, to Juri, to Poison, to Kuma, to... dunno, i don't know who to use with Chun.

Are the "auto stuff" gems in the same slots of the normal ones? so 3 slots total?

I really hope so.
Isn't it a little odd that "easy commands" and "very easy commands" both take away 10% of your damage?

Very easy should be 20%... right?

Venfayth

Ok; i went from Cammy, to Poison, to Juri, to Poison, to Kuma, to... dunno, i don't know who to use with Chun.

Are the "auto stuff" gems in the same slots of the normal ones? so 3 slots total?

I really hope so.
Isn't it a little odd that "easy commands" and "very easy commands" both take away 10% of your damage?

Very easy should be 20%... right?

Yup to all that. Assist gems take up a regular gem slot, easy is 10% damage reduction, very easy is 20%.

A japanese tier list

http://blog.livedoor.jp/mateapple/archives/5988308.html

Kinda funny they put Raven as S tier, but then again every stream I have seen, they have been using him.
too early. ryu is definitely a very strong character, but i don't really think this game really has an s tier. at least not yet. akuma seems really good in this game and i'm surprised i haven't seen many people play him considering how popular he is in other games.

i can kind of see where they're going with this tier list though, even if i don't agree with a lot of it. characters with good fundamentals. they dominate the footises game and can deal with frame traps well.

wolfgunbloodgaropa said:
Jenga said:
you guys goin back to blazblue?
Ha. Marvel.

Flying Wonkey said:
You callin' Tekken Tag Tournament 'barely coherant'? Hmm......
Yes, it's Tekken.
so umvc3 is the best fighting game, sfxt sucks, and tekken is barely coherent... do i dare ask you how you feel about sf4?

alstein

All that stuff he said was true.

If the game had strategic depth, I'd say it was salvageable via patching, but the metagame looks super-simplistic, so even if they patched all the infinites out, I see a game that would get boring fast.

This is a shame because it seems this game finally fixed some of SF4's major issues. It just added a bunch of newer, bigger issues.

hertog

I just can't beat people who use sagat :(

he has such a superior fireball, uppercut and tiger knee. It's frustrating how well he zones.

SUPARSTARX

The characters are 4 for $9. If the characters costumes stay at $1 each, there's your total unless you wait for complete discount packs for completion.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
All that stuff he said was true.

If the game had strategic depth, I'd say it was salvageable via patching, but the metagame looks super-simplistic, so even if they patched all the infinites out, I see a game that would get boring fast.

This is a shame because it seems this game finally fixed some of SF4's major issues. It just added a bunch of newer, bigger issues.

I'm pretty sure people were saying this a week and a half after Marvel came out, too.

In fact, I seem to recall Wong saying something to the effect of "MvC3 is the cheapest game ever made" when it came out. And look what happened there.

Wow, so I can only play 1 character properly. In a TAG game... SMH

I play Kazuya like a champ, but I can't find anyone to match his Energy the way I play him.

Heihachi is too slow
Hwaorang is too pansy
Steve has useless lows
Asuka/Lili/Xiaoyu are nothing like I wanted them to be.

I play a decent Vega, but I don't even know how to play him with Kazuya. Does anyone have any tips?

I was alright with Paul, but I kind of want more options in a character. *sigh*

Is there anyone out there for my Kazuya?

SUPARSTARX

I play Kazuya like a champ, but I can't find anyone to match his Energy the way I play him.

Heihachi is too slow
Hwaorang is too pansy
Steve has useless lows

I play a decent Vega, but I don't even know how to play him with Kazuya. Does anyone have any tips?

Check out Alex Valle's kaz. He's good with him.

I'm pretty sure people were saying this a week and a half after Marvel came out, too.

In fact, I seem to recall Wong saying something to the effect of "MvC3 is the cheapest game ever made" when it came out. And look what happened there.
many top players are praising this game (other then for gems, but those are a non-issue since they don't have to be used). it is definitely not the same reaction as when marvel came out.

marvel may be the more fun game, but i don't see how anyone can say sfxt is more braindead than marvel.

zlatko

Banned

Heihachi is too slow
Hwaorang is too pansy
Steve has useless lows

Kazuya works best as the 2nd. So what you want is a character to build meter with. Vega does a great job of that with footsies.

If you haven't tried Nina yet she's worth looking into. If the issue is options, then try Abel. He has a solid move set, mobility, damage, mix ups, health, etc. He works on point or back up.

It must be. Every week it's always about Marvel. It has it's issues for sure, but there's rivalry, strategy, dirty tricks, salty runbacks, etc that no other game brings right now. I was hoping SFxT would take some of Marvel's hype.

It's just that SFxT takes a lot more skill to play than Marvel. Steam monsters love the "crazy blowups" but if you listen to the players, they all love SFxT more.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I will observe that an irony of criticizing the Tekken style tag mechanic in this game is that it actually seems to follow real life tag team rules more closely than a game like Marvel. Marvel tag is elimination - this kind of tag is actual tag, since a team mate must be summoned to save the team from suffering a lost point before it's too late.

That time outs are calculated by team health seems to be a requirement to balance out the possibility of regenerating health.

As for Pandora... I don't think anyone can say just yet. It seems clear it isn't the "noob" comeback mechanic everybody likes to gripe about in games. That it hasn't been used much will either mean 1. it is actually superfluous or 2. pros are going to find the magic Pandora strategy and flip over everybody's tea table.

Venfayth

I think Pandora would be a lot more viable if:

1. It prevented timeout from happening until it ended.
2. It lasted a few seconds longer.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I think Pandora would be a lot more viable if:

1. It prevented timeout from happening until it ended.
2. It lasted a few seconds longer.

I do agree I am suspicious about its potential due to the timeout issue. If they make any system changes to the game via patching, they might want to make it so activating pandora just plain "burns out" the game clock since it's going to be over when Pandora runs out one way or another.

More like the possibility of barely managing to run away (with autoblock/tech) for 95 seconds, then tagging in Hugo.

A criticism I've had from day one is that assist gems should automatically be banned in in random Ranked and optionally turned off in endless lobbies. They should be treated like the training wheels they are and not considered part of competitive balance.

At least, should gems be used in offline events once the tournament mode is available, it should be an easy thing to tell people "no assist gems in your units or you're disqualified."

Top Bottom