• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

I will observe that an irony of criticizing the Tekken style tag mechanic in this game is that it actually seems to follow real life tag team rules more closely than a game like Marvel. Marvel tag is elimination - this kind of tag is actual tag, since a team mate must be summoned to save the team from suffering a lost point before it's too late.

That time outs are calculated by team health seems to be a requirement to balance out the possibility of regenerating health.

As for Pandora... I don't think anyone can say just yet. It seems clear it isn't the "noob" comeback mechanic everybody likes to gripe about in games. That it hasn't been used much will either mean 1. it is actually superfluous or 2. pros are going to find the magic Pandora strategy and flip over everybody's tea table.
i agree completely. you are forced to think about tagging smartly in this game. you can't just let your point character die and go, "oh well, i have another one". it is definitely more "strategic" this way imo.

as for pandora, i'd take pandora over x-factor any day. the problem is that i don't think people have pandora combos yet. its way too early to even want to develop some considering how little of an effect they will have. but i do think once people get more time to develop pandora combos, it will come into play. not every round or even every match, but i think it will see the ocasional use. as for pandoring outside of combos, i don't think thats viable and will probably be only used for trolling or out of desperation (as it should be, because who cares about broken comeback mechanics?).

Sblargh

Banned
I think Pandora would be a lot more viable if:

1. It prevented timeout from happening until it ended.
2. It lasted a few seconds longer.

Pandora is supposed to be a last combo with infinite bars. I think people just have to find out how to use it.

A few seconds longer won't prevent people from keep running away if you do it raw. Other than that, I agree that it should freeze the time, since it creates a second time-out condition.

USD

I think Pandora would be a lot more viable if:

1. It prevented timeout from happening until it ended.
2. It lasted a few seconds longer.

It also shouldn't reset your position on screen when activated, i.e. you should be standing exactly where your partner was on activation.

ShinAmano

The characters are 4 for $9. If the characters costumes stay at $1 each, there's your total unless you wait for complete discount packs for completion.

While I am ok wit that price for characters...I'll still bitch...original 38 were .63 each...new are $2.25...why?

AAK

Pandora is supposed to be a last combo with regenerating bars. I think people just have to find out how to use it.

A few seconds longer won't prevent people from keep running away if you do it raw. Other than that, I agree that it should freeze the time, since it creates a second time-out condition.

Fixed for you. You can't do for example 2 EX moves followed by a Super.

LakeEarth

Kazuya works best as the 2nd. So what you want is a character to build meter with. Vega does a great job of that with footsies.

If you haven't tried Nina yet she's worth looking into. If the issue is options, then try Abel. He has a solid move set, mobility, damage, mix ups, health, etc. He works on point or back up.

What do you spend meter on with Kazuya? One of my biggest problems is that I don't spend my meter.

And so far, the only thing Pandora is good for is occasionally coming out instead of cross assault and ruining my win.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Pandora is supposed to be a last combo with infinite bars. I think people just have to find out how to use it.

In this sense Pandora is like X-Factor in that it allows for combos that normally wouldn't be possible. However, people just experimented with X-Factor much more because it's safe to blow it in a match since you don't lose if you screw up. Pandora is all or nothing so it's being slept on for now.

Still agree about probably requiring a few tweaks to how it works.

AEREC

Ok once more with Guile/King

I despise Raven's characterdesign, rather lose with King than win cheaply with Raven

Sadly my overall character preference is based off character design as well...Raven is the worst, never cared for his character in Tekken either.

SUPARSTARX

Nina and kaz are great together. I'm considering them. I'm using law and Nina at the moment, running into a few brick walls but it's just a lack of knowledge on applying their good moves in some match ups.

Honestly I think the timeouts are due to many factors. since the game is balanced off the gems, they're needed to produce better combos and quicker footsie battles. I think a lot of people realize they cannot mash and throw as often in here so there's a lot of adaptation going on and relearning what it is to use more than four or five moves.

Right now, with gems not being used, people need to keep massive pressure going on until a gem standard can be used. Tag combos, supers, specials, tag supers are the best ways to minimize health recovery and downtime if you let opponents slip and tag out.

if you drop someone to 50 percent through pokes and boost combos, he or she will comeback with 65 or 70 percent off tag out recovery. there's a lot of combo and punish and post knockdown pressure to consider in overall strategy.

zlatko

Banned
I've won with Pandora once with my Kazuya. I was down to 20 seconds left, he had 50% health, and all my gems had activated. No meter, so no guts no glory. I had him in the corner, activated with Rolento, and Kazuya came out. Jump HK, crouching HP, hook, crouch HP, super. WHAM BLAM WINNAR.

Pandora should be 10 seconds longer. When activated the clock should be stopped up top entirely.

Now it becomes a threat and worth going for in a losing situation, and hopefully we'd see less time outs as well.

galvatron

Did you guys see me on stream VS. Floe last night on WNF?!

I got bodied :( But I won like every other match I played against randoms that night :) Minus like maybe 3 (I played a ton of casuals).

I got dem tourney nerves! Hopefully I can start going to more tournaments and showing what I can really do.

Good stuff for entering with such a deep field. I LOL'ed when someone called you "Tin Tin" in stream chat, though.

so umvc3 is the best fighting game, sfxt sucks, and tekken is barely coherent... do i dare ask you how you feel about sf4?

I think I like it more now post-SFxT. SF4 still brings it. I don't know, I'm kind of bummed about SFxT, it reminds me of when MK came out. Half of the group bought it, tried to convince the other half to give it a fair shot, only to find that playing it sucked all the hype out of the room.

kitzkozan

Unfortunately, SFxT sucks. I have a local group that gets together to play fighting games every week, and nobody wants to play this. Some are even selling it already.

The troll characters are abominations. Those stupid fucking cats? MEGA-MAN? PAC-MAN, are you kidding me.

Gems are lame. Pandora is lame. The game is barely coherent as a fighting game (you lose if a one character loses all health, but if it's a time out the winner is both characters' combined health), and barely fun.

The Xiaoyu infinite... lol. At least the Kazuya one took some skill.

The DLC 'strategy' I could have lived with if the game was great. SFxT is just all sorts of wrong.

I can't agree with you regarding the tag rules, as I think it's a good system. Unlike the last man standing approach of the vs Marvel series, tagging is meant as a strategic element in this and Tekken tag. You need to manage the health of your characters along with tagging for continuing combos and damage opportunities.

You barely talk about the gameplay and instead talk about the cats or whatever. :p Just admit that you and your friends prefer the break neck speed of MvC3 and ridiculous damage+easy as pie OTG moves. :]

zlatko

Banned
What do you spend meter on with Kazuya? One of my biggest problems is that I don't spend my meter.

And so far, the only thing Pandora is good for is occasionally coming out instead of cross assault and ruining my win.

I salivate for meter with Kazuya, because it means 50-60% gone.

Ex slaughter hook is the go to thing when you are confirming on a string. Once ex hook hits you can do Crouch Hp, mist, kick into punch. If you have two meters, then just do string into super. If you have corner(should be your goal with Kazuya to move them to the corner), then you can do cr. HP, LP hook, cr HP, ex hook, cr HP, step, kick punch OR if you whiff that try just cr. Hp into QCF H.

3 meters is where you really fuck people up even mid screen. string/combo into ex hook, cr. HP, into super. Corner? My favorite corner combo is jumpHk, crouch HP, LP hook, cr. Hp, ex hook, cr. Hp, super. Dat damage.

Meter is also good on wake up. Ex QCF P and Ex hook can trade or bop a person hitting buttons on your wake up, or mist step into ex fist is good if they jump in or go for cross ups.

Jenga

Banned
Messing around with Heihachi's super. It's not bad for punishing mid-screenish mistakes, but for projectiles it's like a really ghetto version of Abel's soulless. However it seems somewhat wonky and they'll be able to hit you with it at specific parts. However, it does hit on reaction, but beware cancelling ryus who go into DP, I believe it'll trade and knock you down.

EDIT: not bad, if a reflected projectile from demon breath hits the enemy you can hitconfirm into fullscreen super and it'll hit them

too bad demon's breath's startup takes a century and a half to startup.

Degen

Screw it. Gief/Hugo. It works, it fits my 2D play style, and I lost the will to represent Tekken without my favorite characters (besides King) in the game yet.

grapplers all day, no mercy.

Are people actually encountering these infinites in real matches, or are they just something novel people are finding.

I can't believe (OK, I can but...) that people would play matches online and do infinites just to win - that is some boring fucking shit. What would the the point of that even be? I don't get it - and if I ever encounter it, I'll just DC, I don't care about ratios and that stuff.
I got SephirothRK to do Kazuya's infinite but had to annoy him pretty badly. He did it through his signature Coconut Internet™ and everything!

1.People don't want bundles.
2.Capcom lets you purchase the things you actually want instead.
3.People don't want that either.

I for one never purchased any costume packs for characters in any fighting games. I am really not interested in playing dress up.
Not gonna lie... Tekken costumes from older games or even 2P costumes from Tekken probably would've had me.
But forget this "now character X kinda looks like character Y" nonsense.

Saw this awhile back and I'm a fan of the Poison. I'm curious...how is she shaping up so far in this game? I liked her tool set and I intend to pick this up and play as her and Elena once Elena gets in when the DLC cast comes.
she has good tools to deal with many situations from many different ranges. she's not a character you can scrub out with. if you don't have good fundamentals, its hard to get anything started with her.

zlatko

Banned
Saw this awhile back and I'm a fan of the Poison. I'm curious...how is she shaping up so far in this game? I liked her tool set and I intend to pick this up and play as her and Elena once Elena gets in when the DLC cast comes.

Very similar to Rose. Footsies character, slow fireball, and decent damage. Weak mix up game imo.

Her anti air normal is good imo, and her DP is good too.

Easy to pick up and learn.

2009 truly was a great year for menu music...

But anyways, what is your reasoning for not buying it? I'm assuming its because this whole DLC thing right? You could always buy it used if you really don't want to support them. Think of all of the Ryu/Ken teams you would be bodying right now if you had it.

My main reason is that I simply don't have enough time to play console games. I actually played at a street fighter 4 tournament and did really well, and while I know I can get better it sorta seemed like the beautiful crescendo to my fighting game career. I always wanted to play a video game competitively and win. I had played other games in the past and lost and felt super disappointed about it, but this tournament i bodied 3 people one of whom was super super good Rufus player who had played in japan and was very fancy. I won all my matches with straight up mind games and normals and good spacing. I was in that tourney just before i started working at 3 jobs lol so I will never be able to get back to that way of life. Long story short, I grew up And I cant play fighting games casually. Dlc sucks but i have money, not the biggest issue. Maybe one day I will bring my indestructable team to the shores of monsterdom

DRE Fei

I'm guessing Raven's great backdash and teleport setups are why the Japanese have him so high on the tier list. I run Raven/Kazuya a lot, but Kazuya goes so good with Ryu too. Raven is good for backdashing away from that annoying Rolento walk up -> jab pressure as well as Rufus divekick pressure. Walk up jab is really annoying in this game.

Sayah

so umvc3 is the best fighting game, sfxt sucks, and tekken is barely coherent... do i dare ask you how you feel about sf4?

I enjoyed MvC3 more than I am currently enjoying SFXT. That put aside, MvC3 was a lot more easier to get into and the mechanics in SFXT are definitely more advanced and deeper. I think that's mostly the reason MvC3 is so popular because it's super easy to learn and almost anyone can be eventually pulling out 100-hit flashy combos. You get touched by your opponent in Marvel, you might as well be taking a tea break and making yourself a sandwich. I still love Marvel, though.

Tekken 6, I will have a lot of bias for it so I won't say anything. And still haven't played SFIV. Have to get AE someday.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I think I like it more now post-SFxT. SF4 still brings it. I don't know, I'm kind of bummed about SFxT, it reminds me of when MK came out. Half of the group bought it, tried to convince the other half to give it a fair shot, only to find that playing it sucked all the hype out of the room.

Sounds like your entire group of people just don't know how to play the game. From all the shit you cried about it sounds like you havent even invested more than 10 hours on the game.

LakeEarth

I salivate for meter with Kazuya, because it means 50-60% gone.

Ex slaughter hook is the go to thing when you are confirming on a string. Once ex hook hits you can do Crouch Hp, mist, kick into punch. If you have two meters, then just do string into super. If you have corner(should be your goal with Kazuya to move them to the corner), then you can do cr. HP, LP hook, cr HP, ex hook, cr HP, step, kick punch OR if you whiff that try just cr. Hp into QCF H.

3 meters is where you really fuck people up even mid screen. string/combo into ex hook, cr. HP, into super. Corner? My favorite corner combo is jumpHk, crouch HP, LP hook, cr. Hp, ex hook, cr. Hp, super. Dat damage.

Meter is also good on wake up. Ex QCF P and Ex hook can trade or bop a person hitting buttons on your wake up, or mist step into ex fist is good if they jump in or go for cross ups.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't know you could get a double ground bounce by doing the LP slaughterhook first and EX slaughterhook second.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Anyone have any reference videos or tips for Asuka? I'm pulling my hair out trying to come up with a more reliable way of getting in with her. Her normals are either too slow, too short, or too much startup. She's got some really safe and strong stuff if I can actually get in range, though I do have trouble maintaining safe pressure.

I can't find a decent poke, a decent anti-air, a decent air to air. I've been crossing up with j.HP, but it seems to whiff on a lot of crouching opponents. Does her j.MK cross-up?

I'm just getting frustrated, I guess, and I really really wanted to use Asuka.

Threi

notag
one of bison's quick combos is a combo into scissors, low strong juggled into psycho crusher.

especially midscreen, its not the easiest combo in the world to pull off, the timing is a bit tricky

so yeah...lol

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Anyone have any reference videos or tips for Asuka? I'm pulling my hair out trying to come up with a more reliable way of getting in with her. Her normals are either too slow, too short, or too much startup. She's got some really safe and strong stuff if I can actually get in range, though I do have trouble maintaining safe pressure.

I can't find a decent poke, a decent anti-air, a decent air to air. I've been crossing up with j.HP, but it seems to whiff on a lot of crouching opponents. Does her j.MK cross-up?

Maybe she isn't about getting in? Julia isn't so I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other tekken characters are the same. If she doesnt have great tools and she needs to get in use her as an anchor and use another character that can get in easy and set her up with a tag cancel.

one of bison's quick combos is a combo into scissors, low strong juggled into psycho crusher.

especially midscreen, its not the easiest combo in the world to pull off, the timing is a bit tricky

so yeah...lol

And it only cost you 1 bar!

You need a partner that can get in then tag her in and stay. Thats probably the only way with Asuka. Also Guile owns her soul.

Tizoc

zlatko

Banned
Thanks for the advice. I didn't know you could get a double ground bounce by doing the LP slaughterhook first and EX slaughterhook second.

It's corner only though.

You can do midscreen of ex hook, Cr.HP, mist step into the kick punch for beafy damage off one bar mid screen.

LakeEarth

It's corner only though.

You can do midscreen of ex hook, Cr.HP, mist step into the kick punch for beafy damage off one bar mid screen.

Right, and ex hook gives you more juggle ability so you can do the mist step kick punch move. Makes sense, thanks.

rocK`

Banned
Can someone test something for me? if you have the 360 version, can you go into training mode and continuously wave dash with kazuya (qcf x2 then keep qcf'ing), do you notice a shit ton of slowdown when that happens?

You can also just try dashing constantly and see if you get it. I'll try to get a video of what I'm seeing, but I want to make sure it's just not me.

zlatko

Banned
Going to my first semi tournament tonight. It's just a weekly with a 5 dollar buy in. Gonna do SFxT, might also do UMvC3, although I think I'd get hella exposed with my scrub team haha.

Going with a GAFfer too. Shout outs to Chavelo.

Finally picked the game up this morning. First impressions of online are that the missing audio is really jarring, it does make it more of a button mashing fest, but other than that it's been really smooth.

I've racked a few wins online, but more losses - probably because my team 'Poisoned Pac-Man' is completely useless!

I find everyone is basically jumping in and anti-air is pathetic in this game making most rounds so far 2 time outs of running away and jumping in at each other - havent figured out Pac-Man's best air to air yet - it's definately not HP which is what I keep using and why I keep losing!

hertog

But damn, Raven is good. Even without able to do his chargemove-cancel properly.
Just zone all day, teleport away. And when they're pissed him them with b. mk, mk, superart.

hertog

Finally picked the game up this morning. First impressions of online are that the missing audio is really jarring, it does make it more of a button mashing fest, but other than that it's been really smooth.

I've racked a few wins online, but more losses - probably because my team 'Poisoned Pac-Man' is completely useless!

I find everyone is basically jumping in and anti-air is pathetic in this game making most rounds so far 2 time outs of running away and jumping in at each other - havent figured out Pac-Man's best air to air yet - it's definately not HP which is what I keep using and why I keep losing!

Yup the sound glitch makes it way harder to play tactical.

It's corner only though.

You mean slaughter hook, cr. HP, EX slaughter hook? You can do that anywhere on screen. It's his main punishment for one bar and a very easy on at that. The corner only combo is doing 2 consecutive light slaughter hook.

Jenga

Banned
Playing Heihachi for the first time online.

Playing him point too!

It's painful, but the ass-beating is very valuable. I'm gonna play him Anchor of course, but the way I feel about it is, if I can play the character and win from a neutral start from the beginning of a match, I can dominate with him as anchor.

Top Bottom