• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

Hey guys, new game out - tons of new characters to try! -- Nah, I'll stick with Ken/Ryu team.

80% of people I've faced have been Ken/Ryu - other 20% Akuma, Kazuya, Jin, Guile.... Expected it, but still so fucking boring.

zlatko

Banned
You mean slaughter hook, cr. HP, EX slaughter hook? You can do that anywhere on screen. It's his main punishment for one bar and a very easy on at that. The corner only combo is doing 2 consecutive light slaughter hook.

I swear I've had the ex hook not connect due to spacing sometimes. Or maybe I'm thinking of Light hook, cr.hp, light hook which makes the 2nd part of the hook whiff.

If you're right then my bad.

Playing Heihachi for the first time online.

Playing him point too!

It's painful, but the ass-beating is very valuable. I'm gonna play him Anchor of course, but the way I feel about it is, if I can play the character and win from a neutral start from the beginning of a match, I can dominate with him as anchor.
Forgive my noobness, but what is the anchor? Starting or second tag character?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Maybe she isn't about getting in? Julia isn't so I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other tekken characters are the same. If she doesnt have great tools and she needs to get in use her as an anchor and use another character that can get in easy and set her up with a tag cancel.

You need a partner that can get in then tag her in and stay. Thats probably the only way with Asuka. Also Guile owns her soul.

You might be right. It just seems odd that she'd be relegated to anchor when she's not really a heavy hitter. I mean, she has decent damage output, but it's nothing like Kazuya for example.

I swear I've had the ex hook not connect due to spacing sometimes. Or maybe I'm thinking of Light hook, cr.hp, light hook which makes the 2nd part of the hook whiff.

If you're right then my bad.

I've never had a EX slaughter hook not full connect after connecting the first LP slaughter hook. But yeah, doing a 2nd LP slaughter hook will cause the 2nd hit to miss mid screen but will fully connect in the corner.

TimeKillr

You might be right. It just seems odd that she'd be relegated to anchor when she's not really a heavy hitter. I mean, she has decent damage output, but it's nothing like Kazuya for example.

Asuka does hit quite hard, actually.

Meterless, she does 400 damage easy.

It *is* difficult to get in properly with her, but she is a powerhouse. She also has pretty good pokes and can remain safe off a lot of stuff (s.mk -> c.mp -> tsubariki, if the chain hits do her upkicks instead). She has a really good crossup that you can abuse, EX air grab is very good, etc.

She does lack in fast normals, though. It's her biggest problem.

LakeEarth

I've never had a EX slaughter hook not full connect after connecting the first LP slaughter hook. But yeah, doing a 2nd LP slaughter hook will cause the 2nd hit to miss mid screen but will fully connect in the corner.

So c.lk c.lk c.lk to confirm, cancel into lp slaughterhook -> c.hp xx ex slaughterhook -> c.hp -> ender works? Excellent!

So c.lk c.lk c.lk to confirm, cancel into lp slaughterhook -> c.hp xx ex slaughterhook -> c.hp -> ender works? Excellent!

Well yes, but there is still a spacing issue. It should connect most of the time but if you don't do it point blank then there is a chance the 2nd hit of the slaughter hook might miss. But anyways, if you do EX slaughter hook, don't do cr. HP>Mist Step(either uppercuts) if you want max damage. The follow ups after either uppercuts will whiff so the best damage you can do is just simple cr. HP>Demon God Fist. For a knockdown(don't know if they can roll though), skip the cr.HP and just do mist step >Dragon Uppercut to spin low kick which is the sweep follow up after the Dragon Uppercut.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Asuka does hit quite hard, actually.

Meterless, she does 400 damage easy.

It *is* difficult to get in properly with her, but she is a powerhouse. She also has pretty good pokes and can remain safe off a lot of stuff (s.mk -> c.mp -> tsubariki, if the chain hits do her upkicks instead). She has a really good crossup that you can abuse, EX air grab is very good, etc.

She does lack in fast normals, though. It's her biggest problem.

Any suggestions for combos then? :p My best meterless combo deals 380, so I'd appreciate any help.

LakeEarth

Well yes, but there is still a spacing issue. It should connect most of the time but if you don't do it point blank then there is a chance the 2nd hit of the slaughter hook might miss. But anyways, if you do EX slaughter hook, don't do cr. HP>Mist Step(either uppercuts) if you want max damage. The follow ups after either uppercuts will whiff so the best damage you can do is just simple cr. HP>Demon God Fist. For a knockdown(don't know if they can roll though), skip the cr.HP and just do mist step >Dragon Uppercut to spin low kick which is the sweep follow up after the Dragon Uppercut.

Thanks for the tip, I'm actually excited to go into training mode and figure this stuff out.

Going to my first semi tournament tonight. It's just a weekly with a 5 dollar buy in. Gonna do SFxT, might also do UMvC3, although I think I'd get hella exposed with my scrub team haha.

Going with a GAFfer too. Shout outs to Chavelo.

GL man! Make GAF proud.

Didn't really buy into Kazuya my first go around with SF x T. Played him in Tekken 2 back in the day, and had lots of fun. You guys weren't kidding. Guy hits hard even w/o DMG boosting gems equipped. Hitting a far cr.MK xx Mist / Upper feels pretty damn good. How the hell do you do that wave dash with him?

Sayah

Hey guys, new game out - tons of new characters to try! -- Nah, I'll stick with Ken/Ryu team.

80% of people I've faced have been Ken/Ryu - other 20% Akuma, Kazuya, Jin, Guile.... Expected it, but still so fucking boring.

EXACTLY THIS!!!!!! The matches are extremely boring with Ryu/Ken players.

Kuma's win dance makes up for all the faults of this game! <3

Right now I'm overwhelmed by all the new characters - I did Askura's trials and liked some of her stuff, but taking her into battle was useless against mashing shotos. Gonna take some practice. I hate the thought of relying on old faithfuls in a new game though.

Having lots of fun with Pac-Man, but a lot of his stuff seems unsafe, his flashkick even when it hits is unsafe, wtf!

EXACTLY THIS!!!!!! The matches are extremely boring with Ryu/Ken players.

I'm really a bit odd in that I have a love of playing lesser used characters in fighting games. I know lots of folks who pick on tier lists, playstyles, or look and feel. And I factor all that in some, but I really enjoy having a unique character / team. And honestly at the lower levels of play I think this actually works in my favor, everyone knows how to fight Ryu, even if he is good, but they might not know how to handle say, Paul as much.

As such, I'll probably never play any of the Shotos or Mishimas. Just too many of them out there online already. I was doing Vega / Paul but Vega is good enough that he might start being pretty common and I'm considering putting some time into either Bob or Yoshi to pair with Paul.

Sayah

I'm really a bit odd in that I have a love of playing lesser used characters in fighting games. I know lots of folks who pick on tier lists, playstyles, or look and feel. And I factor all that in some, but I really enjoy having a unique character / team. And honestly at the lower levels of play I think this actually works in my favor, everyone knows how to fight Ryu, even if he is good, but they might not know how to handle say, Paul as much.

As such, I'll probably never play any of the Shotos or Mishimas. Just too many of them out there online already. I was doing Vega / Paul but Vega is good enough that he might start being pretty common and I'm considering putting some time into either Bob or Yoshi to pair with Paul.

I'm sort of the same way except after so many losses now, I've picked up Kazuya and Heihachi. I wanted to try out Vega but I can't do charge moves whatsoever and his entire command list is basically that. I was also going to initially have a Nina/Yoshi team but Yoshi hasn't turned out so well.

AAK

I know it's a matter of taste, but out of curiosity which characters do you guys have in Japanese and which in English ?? :)

Everyone in English except Kaz/Hei/Jin/Xiaoyu/Yoshi/Asuka/Akuma/Ibuki/Ryu.... i.e. everyone speaks English unless they're natively Japanese (or in Xiaoyu's case, lives in Japan)

For Ibuki and Xiaoyu, I've got them in English. I felt Kat Steel did a much better job as Ibuki in Super Street Fighter 4, so I might change her soon. As for Xiaoyu, I actually love her English voice. The only problem I have with it is during her Hakkeshou Combo cinematic. There's this one part near the end where she just makes a really horrible sounding grunt. I can't believe they actually thought that was okay. On the other hand, both Ibuki and Xiaoyu's Japanese voices are actually better than they were in past games to my surprise, so I'll probably switch to them pretty soon.

Overall, most of my cast is in English, except for the following:

Street Fighter:
Akuma (Akuma's English voice doesn't seem to be getting any better.)
Juri (The English voice actor has improved, but the Japanese one is what I'm used to.)
Ryu (Kyle Herbert is fine but the Japanese one just fits like a glove.)

Tekken:
Hwoarang: (Can't stand his English voice.)
Jin: (As cool as it is having Light from Death Note as the English VA, he unfortunately failed to deliver as Devil Jin.)
Julia: (Sounds nicer to me than the English one.)
Kazuya: (Kazuya's English voice...not feeling it.)
Lili: (I switch back and forth. I like both voices.)
Nina: (An odd choice, I know. Nothing wrong with the English one, but I do like how the Japanese voice sounds on her.)

zlatko

Banned
GL man! Make GAF proud.

Didn't really buy into Kazuya my first go aroudn with SF x T. Played him in Tekken 2 back in the day, and had lots of fun. You guys weren't kidding. Guy hits hard even w/o DMG boosting gems equipped. Hitting a far cr.MK xx Mist / Upper feels pretty damn good. How the hell do you do that wave dash with him?

Initial mist steps you can do the motion like it's stated, or do forward then back, into a halfcircle forward. Once you are in the step just mashing QCF's.

If you want to cancel into the step off a normal, do two QCF motions as the move connects and you'll go into it.

Venfayth

As for Xiaoyu, I actually love her English voice. The only problem I have with it is during her Hakkeshou Combo cinematic. There's this one part near the end where she just makes a really horrible sounding grunt. I can't believe they actually thought that was okay. On the other hand, both Ibuki and Xiaoyu's Japanese voices are actually better than they were in past games to my surprise, so I'll probably switch to them pretty soon.

I swear this happens in a few of her moves. Ugh. Every time I hear it I wanna die.

AAK

I wouldn't have minded Juri's JPN voice... but hearing her death cry feels about the equivalent of having molten rock being poured through my ear drums.

I just wish they went Tekken's route where they made Germans speak german, Brazilians speak Portuguese, Koreans speak Korean, Chinese speak Mandarin, etc.

Just saw this on Facebook, might be old news, but the first that I've heard of it. Starting in like 3 min.

Machinima Live presents The Cross Counter Invitational TODAY at 2PM PST/5PM EST! 2v2 Street Fighter x Tekken WITH gems and $1,000 on the line. Teams include:

- coL.CC.gootecks & coL.CC.Mike Ross
- EG.Justin Wong & EG.fLoE
- LI Joe & LU.Alex Valle
- BT.Viscant & Box.Steinmania
- ReNiC & Maximilian
- Vicious & Evil Elvis
- Clakey D & MCZ.MRN.Marn

Watch live at: http://machinimalive.com/

edit: starting now

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Damn Cammy's number 20 trial is killing me! I'm having trouble hitting the EX Strike with consistency.

Top Bottom