• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

Tizoc

Lol 360.

Waiting for them (IF they come), possibly without the "floating" glitch.
How about the cats? are they "broken"? "annoying"? can they be banned from online gameplay?

I'm in that same situation where i play decently only one character in a 2v2 game.
Maybe i'll go back to my Tatsunoko vs Capcom team, but damn it i don't really like Ryu that much.

I'll try Chun-Lili...

The cats have low Health IIRC, and they most likely won't be used in Tournies. Dunno about Cole, but I think he'd be banned too sadly, even though he has a nice movelist.
You can play as the cats and Cole online, but I've only ever used Toro since...he's a mini-Ryu =V ...and is friggin' adorable.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
*sigh* And yet again I get to the point where I ask myself why I even bother buying fighting games.

LP, LP, LP *blocked* FUCK
LP, LP *blocked* FUCK
LP, LP, LP, LK *forget to go to MK* FUCK
LP, LP *blocked* FUCK

I can't see how anyone could find sitting in Trial mode for half an hour or more repeating this ad-nauseum anything even resembling "fun". But I feel like if I don't get good at it, then I'll just keep losing online to idiots who put xX around their username and use "z" instead of "s" and almost assuredly have 420 or 69 in their name somewhere. Ugh.

Aaaaaaand I'm blowing up and stressing out again. *sigh* See, this is what this shit does to me every damn time. I'm starting to think playing fighters is bad for my overall health...

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Don't play randoms, play with GAF !

Yeah, I mean, playing with GAF is cool and all. But it's not really playing online that's got me stressed right now. I've actually avoided online almost completely since the game has been out. It's links that are pissing me off. Even with the longer link windows this game has, they're still frustrating as hell. But I feel like I HAVE to learn them to be good at all. And it's just frustrating when there's almost no discernible visual/aural difference in the timing between a successful link and an unsuccessful link.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, I mean, playing with GAF is cool and all. But it's not really playing online that's got me stressed right now. I've actually avoided online almost completely since the game has been out. It's links that are pissing me off. Even with the longer link windows this game has, they're still frustrating as hell. But I feel like I HAVE to learn them to be good at all. And it's just frustrating when there's almost no discernible visual/aural difference in the timing between a successful link and an unsuccessful link.

If a move comes out and doesn't combo, it's late. If it doesn't come out, it's too early.

I also hate links, though. I try and play characters that don't need them. The trial mode combos are generally pretty dumb as well...Capcom is still really behind most other people in that respect.

Nose Master

Is anyone going to the SFXT tournaments at their local gamestops next weekend? If you're near Milwaukee, WI you might want to think about coming to mine instead: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36059364&postcount=22

So the tourney for sfxt is going to be Saturday at MGC? Last year sign ups for SF4 were Saturday, but the tourney was Sunday. :(

---

*sigh* And yet again I get to the point where I ask myself why I even bother buying fighting games.

LP, LP *blocked* FUCK
LP, LP *blocked* FUCK

I can't see how anyone could find sitting in Trial mode for half an hour or more repeating this ad-nauseum anything even resembling "fun". But I feel like if I don't get good at it, then I'll just keep losing online to idiots who put xX around their username and use "z" instead of "s" and almost assuredly have 420 or 69 in their name somewhere. Ugh.

Aaaaaaand I'm blowing up and stressing out again. *sigh* See, this is what this shit does to me every damn time. I'm starting to think playing fighters is bad for my overall health...

I consider the trials in SF4 / SFxT to be more of a puzzle game than actual teaching you useful combos. Why would you need 3 crouching LP to confirm into a combo? If you need that much time to hit-confirm, you probably won't be able to do the links anyways. (Assuming they're not rapid fire cancelable.)

If you can't do them, it's not really a big deal. They will more often than not show you the hardest and most inefficient combos. Look up bnbs on Youtube.

Nyx

Ah ok, I misunderstood you then.

GAF! YOU MADE ME A TEAM!

Nina and Kazuya.

Nina is so good. Love using her. Surprised I didn't try her earlier.

But my god, doing the full grapple chain online, without EX? So satisfying!

I am ready to make the switch to team Tekken it seems...

Jenga

Banned
What's the standard damage amount for a meterless combo? I can break 450+ but I'm assuming meterless going into upper 400s or even 500s is Hugo or Raven level right?

GAF! YOU MADE ME A TEAM!

Nina and Kazuya.

Nina is so good. Love using her. Surprised I didn't try her earlier.

But my god, doing the full grapple chain online, without EX? So satisfying!

I am ready to make the switch to team Tekken it seems...

What about your Vega avatar?

Turncoat!

SmokeMaxX

LP, LP *blocked* FUCK
LP, LP *blocked* FUCK

You should play Marvel.

hertog

What's the standard damage amount for a meterless combo? I can break 450+ but I'm assuming meterless going into upper 400s or even 500s is Hugo or Raven level right?

I find most Raven combo's very hard with his chargemove dash cancel :(

hertog

I love Guile's simple but effective cr. mp, cr. mp Flashkick combo after a launcher. It does about 360 damage total and even online I always connect with it.

Who are considered easier characters on the Tekken side? Want to try some of them out but their multiple combo strings are intimidating to my scrubby self.

Shadybiz

LP, LP *blocked* FUCK
LP, LP *blocked* FUCK

I can't see how anyone could find sitting in Trial mode for half an hour or more repeating this ad-nauseum anything even resembling "fun".

Ha, pretty much my thoughts on the matter too. I watch youtube videos of these people doing all of them with ease, and I get jealous. I think I'm at the point where I realize that I'm not going to be able to do them all, so I think I'm going to just start playing online more, and just have fun. I think I've got enough of a handle on Hwaorang, Kaz, and Guile that I should be able to win a few matches.

LP, LP *blocked* FUCK
LP, LP *blocked* FUCK

The trials in this game are definitely not fun, but there are some fundamental important things to learn about links, chains and cancels and how they relate.

I dont find other fighting games ever made this clear in their trial modes, but what I usually do is get up to about 17-18 on every character to get an idea of what they can do and move on. No stress. The majority of the combos in the trial mode are impractical (But not all of them) and don't maximize damage anyway due to the way the damage scaling works.

That being said, if you're able to get a "feel" for links, something that takes most players years to get, you'll be a far far better player than someone who doesn't.

For online you need to enjoy the game and not just winning. I have 0 bp because I still haven't decided on a character and don't know any spacing, but I'm still having a blast. If I jumped on ryu/sagat/ken/rufus/juri/rolento/hugo I'm sure I'd be sitting in the 3000-4000bp range by now, but that's not fun to me since I already know how to play those characters for the most part.

in short, find something you enjoy. If you don't enjoy the rush and adrenaline of the actual matches (not the outcome) you should find someone to play with IRL or online so you don't have to feel upset, this game is an absolute joy to play, don't let stuff like that keep you from what really matters.

Jenga

Banned
so the pro guile strategy seems to be: do the usual guile zoning. if you get a combo run away real fast. repeat. run out the clock

the partner seems to be either hugo or akuma who plays the exact same way

Anybody got a good partner for King? I am Viking towards him a lot, but I can't find him a soulmate. So far I have been trying Poison and Kazuya

Jenga

Banned
One of Kazuya's normals/unique punches outranges abels st.lk

well it was nice while it lasted, guess i have to just catch bad play with TT

sigh

hertog

Anybody got a good partner for King? I am Viking towards him a lot, but I can't find him a soulmate. So far I have been trying Poison and Kazuya

Guile is perfect, he doesn't need meter and can build quite a lot of it.
and when their guard is down, cross them up, hit a launcher combo, switch in King and start delivering the knees.

USD

Is this game being received like Marvel was in Japan?

It's hard to say if the game will stick around, but there definitely are a lot of notable Japanese players trying out SFXTK. Definitely has a better reception than (U)MvC3.

And yeah, about that "Japanese" tier list, it's just one guy's ranking, and no where close to a representation of Japan's overall perception of the game. Calling it the "Japanese tier list" is quite a stretch. Though it does seem like some players think highly of Ken, heh.

It's hard to say if the game will stick around, but there definitely are a lot of notable Japanese players trying out SFXTK. Definitely has a better reception than (U)MvC3.
Well... the original had a similar opening week, but Vanilla MvC3 was all kinds of broken and glitch ridden. It's no surprise that UMvC3 was unpopular nine(!) months later even if it was a big step up.

BHK3

Banned

LP, LP *blocked* FUCK
LP, LP *blocked* FUCK

Do the trials if you want trophies, very few characters have trial combos that are actually useful, guile has some good ones if I recall right. Just look up combo vids and try to emulate what they do, it's what I do.

Shadybiz

Would this be a good game for me to pick up if I'm new to fighting games?

I'm fairly new myself, and I think it's pretty good. I have only played a little online, but the Endless mode is cool. You can just find a lobby that says something like "Beginners welcome," and get your feet wet in there, with others who are just starting out. It would be pretty no-pressure most of the time, I think.

Horseress

I'm fairly new myself, and I think it's pretty good. I have only played a little online, but the Endless mode is cool. You can just find a lobby that says something like "Beginners welcome," and get your feet wet in there, with others who are just starting out. It would be pretty no-pressure most of the time, I think.

Agreed, and the only problem with going online is the sound bug, but that's it. I'm from Brazil, internet isn't great here, and I play every day online for hours and feels really good.

Jenga

Banned
hurry up and give me my dudley already capcom

he's on the disc

he's oooooonnnnn the diiiiisc

just take my money fuck

GorillaJu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCnUehJQ7qg&feature=g-all-u&context=G2b7f4edFAAAAAAAABAA

Hugo is just like week 1 sentinel. He looks absolutely ridiculous right now - his pressure is demoralizing.

I love his animations, though. Capcom managed to capture the essence of SF3's animations with Hugo - that gyrating, exaggerated motion that they did so well with Dark Stalkers, X-Men and SF3. He may be my favorite character in the game if we're talking just looks.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I still cant get into the game. I guess i have to find a team first : King x ????
Probably gonna try Poison.

y2dvd

Is Lili's aa godlike or what? Stuffed every jump-in I was doing, and then free combo afterwards.

Still rocking dat Julia/Law.

Jenga

Banned
the team i'm probably gonna be rocking a few months from now is hwoarang and dudley

rang on point with the footsies and meter building, dudley to spend it

rang has everything he needs, easy dash for anti-fireball, decent AA, DP, safe a hell footsies, great tag-in options with hunting hawk, and a dive kick and air raid for extra mobility and air control. rang opens em up and dudley closes them down

Jenga

Banned
how dare guile play defensive

/rolleyes
how dare they put guile in a game with 2v2 and a 99 second timer only option

actually i might have to try that myself, I think guile and hugo might be pretty good for a team outside of clocking out people

LP, LP *blocked* FUCK
LP, LP *blocked* FUCK

lol, these "combos" in the trials are pointless, same in SF4 - I think one of Hakan's was LP,LP,LP,LK - when you're oiled up! Oh, the damage! Thanks Capcom, that's so helpful and sure to beat Ryu's easymode stuff - solar plexus, HP, EX Tatsu, DP, EX DP or however it goes.

If they want to aim games at a more casual audience, they should explain things like the difference between links/cancels etc and provide some examples of decent bnb combos rather than the LP,LP,LP,cr.LK,LK stuff. I have a feeling they don't want to explain this kind of thing to keep it a little more 'in the know'.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Any good Asuka combos? She's supposed to be a heavy hitter, but I can't break 380 meterless off a jump-in.

I don't think you're suppose to, really XD 388 / 397 with the sweep at the very end after the Oni-kick is about the highest, but again, this is all meterless.

Add meter to getting those EX sweep throws + anti-air throws into sweep, and a personal "but I really wanna use super!" method is to remember that you might as well take her personal combo style as far as you can before actually landing super after chains.. So while many characters would do (Jump HP, L,M,H, Super), Asuka should be pulling (Jump HP, MP,LP,MP,LK,MK,d.MP,HK,Super)

She's such a mistress of positioning, too. Safe tag-ins off heavy specials, gaining ground bounces or wall bounces for combos, straight lengthy chaining into free tag combos (after building meter through stupid-long normal combos for re-call-in continuation), etc...

She might not be as directly powerful as a Hugo or Marduk, but she can sap SO much away from people with just 1 combo + successful mixup, I find it quite satisfying.

Top Bottom