• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

Capcom's first Official SFxT tournament is coming later this month on the 30th. They're collaborating with Gods Garden. Kazunoko, Nuki, Nekojita, and Kokujin are confirmed for attending.

http://beastnote.blogspot.com/

Well I'm guessing all those prizes cost about $300 combined. That means we still got $499,700 left in cash prizes that Capcom promised to pay out this year. Ok, really Capcom of Japan? A few weeks ago you guys throw a Japanese SF4 3v3 Nationals with the grand prize being SFxT and a few other stuff. This time they get a new PS Vita and some other shit. Come on, show us the goods and step your shit up for Japan also, not just America.

I'm a bit concerned about that 500k talk now. Hearing about a tournament at the end of the year paying out 25k doesn't sound too great either because it's only a tiny percentage of the 500k they announced. So where is it all going, how many games are apart of this "Tournament Series", and how will it be distributed? I guess we won't hear about that for another few months, or maybe even after the EVO tourney season but I hope they live up to there word.

Well I'm guessing all those prizes cost about $300 combined. That means we still got $499,700 left in cash prizes that Capcom promised to pay out this year. Ok, really Capcom of Japan? A few weeks ago you guys throw a Japanese SF4 3v3 Nationals with the grand prize being SFxT and a few other stuff. This time they get a new PS Vita and some other shit. Come on, show us the goods and step your shit up for Japan also, not just America.

I'm a bit concerned about that 500k talk now. Hearing about a tournament at the end of the year paying out 25k doesn't sound too great either because it's only a tiny percentage of the 500k they announced. So where is it all going, how many games are apart of this "Tournament Series", and how will it be distributed? I guess we won't hear about that for another few months, or maybe even after the EVO tourney season but I hope they live up to there word.

I posted a rumor a while back. Someone on 4chan noticed that someone on SRK mentioned that Capcom was going to use most of the money on providing setups for majors. It was then deleted by SRK cops.

Just putting that out there. Probably some troll, but just thought I'd mention it.

Playing Vega/Xiaoyu.

What the FUCK am I supposed to do against Hugo's armor move? I kept hearing someone on the Cross Assault stream say it's not that good or safe, but damned if I can figure out a counter to it.

Vega- Ex sky high claw. Or my favorite, s.HK in the right distance. Make sure it's enough to hit in the right distance otherwise you will only get one hit.

chriskun

Man, this game just keeps on getting worse and worse. I really wish instead of the gem system they would have implemented a perk system similar to Call Of Duty, but of course that would not help them nickel and dime people the way that they are now.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Man, this game just keeps on getting worse and worse. I really wish instead of the gem system they would have implemented a perk system similar to Call Of Duty, but of course that would not help them nickel and dime people the way that they are now.

They would of just sold perks LOL

chriskun

They would of just sold perks LOL

yeah probably, I dont like how you have no idea what gems people have. A simplified perk system with accompanying easy to understand symbols would go a long way to alleviate that. And there would only be 10 or so perks, like a damage perk, defense perk, speed perk, throw range perk, ect.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
yeah probably, I dont like how you have no idea what gems people have. A simplified perk system with accompanying easy to understand symbols would go a long way to alleviate that. And there would only be 10 or so perks, like a damage perk, defense perk, speed perk, throw range perk, ect.

That's what the point of it was, they didn't want people to know what you had exactly so you couldn't counter them exactly.

kunonabi

That's what the point of it was, they didn't want people to know what you had exactly so you couldn't counter them exactly.

Didn't say the the exact opposite? The gems were supposed to create layer of strategy by avoiding your opponent's activation conditions.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Didn't say the the exact opposite? The gems were supposed to create layer of strategy by avoiding your opponent's activation conditions.

I honestly don't recall hearing that from anywhere o.o

You can sorta see what will activate them though. Right before the requirement is met, the gem will glow.

GorillaJu

Vega and Guilde are no problem for me but Dhalsim, I can never get in, it's really annoying. Teleport, Arms, Teleport, Arms, occasional fireball, more teleport and arms.

It's not so much that it's a problem for me match-up wise as I dont seem to have any problem specifically with beating them over other characters, its just annoying as fuck. People who stick to some mental plan that they're going to disengage at every chance and wait for me to attack. No. Fuck you. Just play the game instead of being a bitch.

Threi

notag
Very much so

dont worry capcom got your back.

the herpaderp mindless rushdown will be made stronger because that's what people want, that's what people like to see.

count on it.

It's not so much that it's a problem for me match-up wise as I dont seem to have any problem specifically with beating them over other characters, its just annoying as fuck. People who stick to some mental plan that they're going to disengage at every chance and wait for me to attack. No. Fuck you. Just play the game instead of being a bitch.
I would say "jumping in until you get a hit and when you do tap out combo #72 you practiced in training mode" is an even less valid way of "playing the game" than defensive play is...but again capcom doesn't seem to think so lately anyways.

In a couple years capcom fighting games will be trash like 3s again, but everyone will be happy so win/win for them i guess.

Nose Master

Playing Vega/Xiaoyu.

What the FUCK am I supposed to do against Hugo's armor move? I kept hearing someone on the Cross Assault stream say it's not that good or safe, but damned if I can figure out a counter to it.

I posted this the other day, but it's unsafe as all hell. The non-ex version is -7 on block. (Ex is -3). It has a hefty start up period, in a game that features chain combos. (hint: it only absorbs one attack) His dashes are also some of the slowest in the game. Very, very easy to punish and react to if they are not combo'd in to.

People attempting to punish the clap is the problem. Take the chip, and do not attempt to punish him for claps, ever. Take advantage of the pushback, and either attempt a crossup and test his AA skills, or run and zone him out after that.

GorillaJu

dont worry capcom got your back.

the herpaderp mindless rushdown will be made stronger because that's what people want, that's what people like to see.

count on it.

I would say "jumping in until you get a hit and when you do tap out combo #72 you practiced in training mode" is an even less valid way of "playing the game" than defensive play is...but again capcom doesn't seem to think so lately anyways.

In a couple years capcom fighting games will be trash like 3s again, but everyone will be happy so win/win for them i guess.

Heh... not A does not necessarily equal B! I like footsies, and I understand keeping away from characters like Zangief. But picking someone solely so you don't have to fight. That's stupid.

Threi

notag
Heh... not A does not necessarily equal B! I like footsies, and I understand keeping away from characters like Zangief. But picking someone solely so you don't have to fight. That's stupid.

Well...to that i say pick dhalsim and fight a good rufus.

There is more "fight" involved than whatever you have imagined in your head, guaranteed.

Defensive play is not as easy as it looks, especially in games where one hit can mean death (not just for the combo damage, but for the loss of momentum and mixups you get put in)

its very strange how its even considered an issue now, when defensive play is essentially the weakest it's ever been. People today seem to not want to exhibit any sort of patience. They get their attack patterns exposed, get mad at that, and demand the game get changed.

and capcom listens.

GorillaJu

You guys are ridiculous. I understand what a valid tactic running away is. That doesn't make it any less annoying or boring to watch or play against.

The assumptions and straw mans people make out of nothing are hilarious.

Threi

notag
You guys are ridiculous. I understand what a valid tactic running away is. That doesn't make it any less annoying or boring to watch or play against.

I disagree again (but my reasoning is more subjective this time).

I enjoy watching "lame" play. All the subtle nuances you see in how the defensive player will adjust are amazing to watch (eg. Dieminion vs anyone, no matter how many times i see it dieminion vs sanford big two GF in SF4 is always enjoyable)

I can get hype for a flashy combo as much as the next guy but watching brainless setups repeated over and over and over for the win and random hit conversions into almost one-touch-deaths (i'm looking at you MvC3) is just godawful.

Said it in SF4 and i'll say it here: I'd rather fight a million guiles than one (in that game Makoto/Ibuki/Dudley/Guy/Cammy, in this game i don't really care much).

Sayah

Can you get perfect timeouts with dhalsim?

That's not the point. It's irritating that Dhalsim players can basically jump away at their leisure and hit from across the stage. And as soon as you get close, they can just teleport out. Who gets fun out of using the same three moves in the entire match? No one. Makes the fight ridiculously boring.

There's so much irony in his intro too: "I hope you are willing to have a fair fight."
So, in other words, you just mad salty?

I like how any sort of valid complaint against certain character imbalances shifts towards the subject of being salty.

"In what way?"

Claiming it requires no skill or strategy. You are really, really wrong. Characters like Dhalsim/Guile are very, very hard to play correctly.

Sayah

"In what way?"

Claiming it requires no skill or strategy. You are really, really wrong. Characters like Dhalsim/Guile are very, very hard to play correctly.

How is extended arm hit, teleport, arm hit, jump, arm hit, jump, teleport, fireball......etc. very hard to play correctly? It's a repetition of the same exact moves in a never-ending cycle until K.O. hits. And it works.

GorillaJu

Every game is like this at a low to intermediate skill level. Certain tactics are going to be exploitable for wins against opponents who aren't aware of what to do against every tactic.

It's what happens when things are balanced for high level play and not low level.

And yet Dhalsim gets some of the worst damage conversion in the game, below average health, the slowest jumps, raw escape teleports are extremely punishable, his only way out of block strings is standing LK he has no reversal other than super and many of his moves are punishable on hit(including those scary jumping stretchy things!). Learn the matchup, I get killed all day by Dhalsim too.

How is extended arm hit, teleport, arm hit, jump, arm hit, jump, teleport, fireball......etc. very hard to play correctly? It's a repetition of the same exact moves in a never-ending cycle until K.O. hits. And it works.

Your avatar is Cammy and Nina.

Sayah

There is no perfectly balanced fighting game. There can never be one but I think Capcom fighters are most notorious for having unbalanced rosters.

Imm0rt4l

THIS. It's such a lame strategy requiring little to no skill at all.

More like Dhalsim and Akuma.

lame strategy? Yea. Requiring little to no skill? Skill is relative, and you're a beginner (don't throw stones if you live in a glass house). Signs point to you being salty(which is fine). But you don't need to undermine someone elses play style because you aren't very good at a game. You can call it a boring strategy, you're certainly entitled to an opinion but I'm willing to bet that if you gave those characters a try, you'd find "using those same 3 moves over and over" isn't nearly as easy as you make it sound.

"How is extended arm hit, teleport, arm hit, arm hit, teleport, fireball......etc. very hard to play correctly? It's a repetition of the same exact moves in a never-ending cycle until K.O. hits. And it works."

It requires so much more than that. Knowing the spacing for all your limbs, knowing when to use which anti-air option (because they all work/fail at different spacings/situations), knowing how to use fireballs effectively, knowing how to be extremely patient if/when someone gets in on you and how to escape the situation properly, etc. etc.

Without knowing what characters you're playing it's impossible for anyone to know what you're doing wrong, though. At a basic level you probably just have no patience.

GorillaJu

"How is extended arm hit, teleport, arm hit, arm hit, teleport, fireball......etc. very hard to play correctly? It's a repetition of the same exact moves in a never-ending cycle until K.O. hits. And it works."

It requires so much more than that. Knowing the spacing for all your limbs, knowing when to use which anti-air option (because they all work/fail at different spacings/situations), knowing how to use fireballs effectively, knowing how to be extremely patient if/when someone gets in on you and how to escape the situation properly, etc. etc.

Without knowing what characters you're playing it's impossible for anyone to know what you're doing wrong, though. At a basic level you probably just have no patience.

Sure, Arturo Sanchez has so much more skill than that but your average psn random? No chance in hell. They're just repeating the combo that they know works and laughing at your frustaratoin

Threi

notag
In what way?

Well for starters claiming that sim players jump away for free, hit at fullscreen, and teleport away for free when you get close implies that you don't really understand how dhalsim works, what you should be doing against the sim player, and what the sim player is trying to accomplish.

His stretchy arms and teleport are balancing aspects, to make up for the fact that up close he has ZERO defense. This is magnified by characters that specialize in offense (like one of them in your avatar, who is known to curbstomp dhalsim). Theoretically if a dhalsim gets to teleport away for free, than that is on the onus of the attacking player, and they messed up. Because not only are teleports punishable on reaction, it is something they should have been looking for. Its like making your way through sonic booms and then being mad that guile flashkicked you in the face.

Each stretchy limb has different properties, they are all specific pokes for where you are on the screen. Not every limb serves as an all purpose solution for damage. If you are repeatedly getting hit by limbs that means either a)The ways at which you want to get in are simplistic and can be stopped the same way every time or b)Your reactions after getting hit/blocking a limb do not change and can be read. Simplest one is getting hit by sim's stand fierce, your reaction is to jump....and you get hit by sim's stand roundhouse.

It is true that dhalsim does have matchups that are unfairly in his favor, but he also has matchups that are unfairly against him. Same goes for guile, vega, and all the "defensive" players. Their initial keepaway game is strong because they have limited options to escape pressure.

Its a bit like a racing game. Of course you gotta have the small fast cars that get destroyed when rammed, but there are also slower-accelerating cars with faster top speeds for people who wish to play that way. Their strengths and weaknesses are shifted, but they are there for people who want to play them like that. Shouldn't people be allowed to use any approach they want?

What a lot of people nowadays are wishing for is for the game to become unbalanced for the sake of them being able to enjoy playing the way they wish to. It doesnt work like that (at least it didn't before, it may in the future).

Sayah

And yet Dhalsim gets some of the worst damage conversion in the game, below average health, the slowest jumps, raw escape teleports are extremely punishable, his only way out of block strings is standing LK he has no reversal other than super and many of his moves are negative on hit. Learn the matchup, I get killed all day by Dhalsim too.

I'm not sure what his damage conversion is but a few pokes and hits with him already brings a good amount of my health down. His jump is slower than other characters but it's still felt quite sufficient when I tried him in training. I just don't see how he's hard to play when players can repeat the same moves to maintain a distance and keep getting pokes in to perform damage.

Knowing when to do what extended army thing, or when to teleport, or when to jump, and how to do each appropriately. It's very hard for dhalsim players to do well, especially in this game where jumps are so good. One mistake and they're dead. Most of the time they just get mauled.

If there's anything you should be complaining about, it's that dhalsim drills are fucking good in this game, and super easy to hit confirm off of. Like, they're better than cammy divekicks (being totally serious here.) Also the fact that dhalsim mashing b+lk can now turn into a full fledged combo pojeafojf;oaierfoarf

There is no perfectly balanced fighting game. There can never be one but I think Capcom fighters are most notorious for having unbalanced rosters.

Virtua fighter fanboys that profess the amazing depth of their game (but don't know why) incoming.......

Tell me about how you play cammy and nina

Nobody beats Vega, he's unstoppable! Unless you have good jumping attacks/dive kicks, a good jab or good blockstrings/meaty pressure or are prettier than him.

Sayah

Well for starters claiming that sim players jump away for free, hit at fullscreen, and teleport away for free when you get close implies that you don't really understand how dhalsim works, what you should be doing against the sim player, and what the sim player is trying to accomplish.

His stretchy arms and teleport are balancing aspects, to make up for the fact that up close he has ZERO defense. This is magnified by characters that specialize in offense (like one of them in your avatar, who is known to curbstomp dhalsim). Theoretically if a dhalsim gets to teleport away for free, than that is on the onus of the attacking player, and they messed up. Because not only are teleports punishable on reaction, it is something they should have been looking for. Its like making your way through sonic booms and then being mad that guile flashkicked you in the face.

Each stretchy limb has different properties, they are all specific pokes for where you are on the screen. Not every limb serves as an all purpose solution for damage. If you are repeatedly getting hit by limbs that means either a)The ways at which you want to get in are simplistic and can be stopped the same way every time or b)Your reactions after getting hit/blocking a limb do not change and can be read. Simplest one is getting hit by sim's stand fierce, your reaction is to jump....and you get hit by sim's stand roundhouse.

It is true that dhalsim does have matchups that are unfairly in his favor, but he also has matchups that are unfairly against him. Same goes for guile, vega, and all the "defensive" players. Their initial keepaway game is strong because they have limited options to avoid pressure.

Its a bit like a racing game. Of course you gotta have the small fast cars that get destroyed when rammed, but there are also slower-accelerating cars with faster top speeds for people who wish to play that way. Their strengths and weaknesses are shifted, but they are there for people who want to play them like that. Shouldn't people be allowed to use any approach they want?

What a lot of people nowadays are wishing for is for the game to become unbalanced for the sake of them being able to enjoy playing the way they wish to. It doesnt work like that (at least it didn't before, it may in the future).

I don't use cammy if you are referring to the avatar. She's just.....there. I'm not exactly saying that he can hit across the whole stage. That was an exaggeration but I was still trying to make a point that he has long reach. So if I can punish his jumps, what exactly can a Nina player do? None of her moves, even her ex versions can't seem to extend as far as his arms. I'm relatively new to the 2D fighting scene so these are just my initial reactions to what I see as player imbalance.

This is so wrong it's not even funny.
Which part? There being no perfectly balanced fighter or Capcom's games (I've only played MvC3 and SFXTK) not being suitably balanced?

Tell me about how you play cammy and nina

I don't use cammy and I don't see any viable options for Nina.

Top Bottom