• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Kazuya is so badass.

IMO. He is the best character in the game if you can pull out his EWGF move seamlessly as a footsie tool/anti-air and of course in combos.

450 damage off a combo/no meter = USE IT.

Kazuya's EWGF hitbox is like a stainless steel fridge or a 18-wheeler.

alstein

Don't worry Sayah, it just takes a bit to figure out everyone's gimmick once in awhile. Dhalsim is limbs and runaway, Bison's is safe on block split kicks and stupid kick poke+Anti air, Blanka is blue balling etcetc.

Well I'm not going to give too much away about Dhalsim but there's nothing more I hate in the world other than doing jump+HP only to get beat out by a derpy jump MK or HK. Try it with Nina in training mode, set the opponent to Dhalsim and record up back jump+HP and then play it back. See which moves kill the whole jump air limbs thing.

Yeah what the hell is up with that anyway? On a phone or something? Ahahaha

If I see folks fishing for that, I'll try to baiit a jump then slide, or in some cases jump RH works. I usually don't stick a limb out while jumping unless I'm desperate to get someone off me unless I see a reaction.

Correction. 496 no meter.

614 with 2 meters. lol.

Practical combos, mind you.

Practical? Not really, this is not something the typical fighting game players can do consistently. I've been playing Kazuya since day 1 and I can hardly do one EWGF by itself let alone 4 consecutively.

BTW, I thought max damage was 466 meterless. With meter I have no idea as I don't have the execution to test this out and see how much juggle potential it has and where it ends.

Average (decent) Mishima combo in Tekken requires at least 3 EWGFs to be in it. Ahahha

Wait a minute, in the Tekken series is there a regular EWGF and a "true EWGF" or whatever people are calling it. When I say I can hardly do one, I mean the "true EWGF" as people are calling it which does 100 damage and gives you more juggle potential compared to the regular one which only does 70 damage with some other differences. I can do mist step into the follow ups decently, it's the true EWGF that I really struggle with.

But anyways, this does explain why I see some Japanese players and other pretty good Kaz players doing the rising uppercut instead of slaughter hook off hit confirms and to punish. Damage potential is higher without meter usage.

Wait a minute, in the Tekken series is there a regular EWGF and a "true EWGF" or whatever people are calling it.

Yeah there's two versions of it. In Tekken you could get the:

Wind God Fist = Rising uppercut launch thing, but no plus frames on block and less pushback. No electrical hit sparks comes out when blocked.

& then there's

Electric Wind God Fist = The one your calling the 'true' one. Safe on block in Tekken and pretty good launcher, you can tell this was performed correctly because Electricity hit sparks came out.

The thing with SFxT is, these abilities are retained but they made the average WGF show the electricity which just complicates things. Apparently to visually tell the difference in SFxT the EWGF has a more purple hue with the electricity that comes out.

How do you input the "true" EGWF?

f,n,d,df + P input. The trick to getting the EWGF to come out is to make sure the df and punch are pressed at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zoa8oLjwGiA
A shitload of dlc assist gems. Can't believe I haven't seen this video before considering all the previous stuff that's been found.

lttp but how are the EX Autoblock 3 and ultimate defense 3 not broken? The ultimate defense 3 in particular.

So it autoblocks and autotechs throws for 1/4 of a bar? So hypothetically if you have 2 bars and a life lead, you could simply hold down back I'd have to mix you up 8 times before I do damage???? Am I reading this right?

SUPARSTARX

I believe those use up all 3 gem slots for one. That's what the little 1,2,3 mean on the side in the icon. Now if it is true that we may or may not get five gem slots later it may be different.

While you might have this really good defense through auto blocking and auto tech whatnot, you will have no additional meter gain gem properties, no defense/iron wall, no damage, and no speed. You will need a playstyle that is aggressive enough to help you generate enough super meter to keep up with the holes in your defense that utilizes the auto tech and auto blocking gems.

So yeah, if you intend on just sitting on the other side of the screen not doing anything, it's useless if you have very little meter or no plan of action. What you might want to do is get a good battery character that is a good zoner and full frontal annoyance like Rolento or Sagat, build meter and keep out, do as much damage as you can and bring in the anchor with EX Ultimate Defense to finish them off or time out.

Bizazedo

I believe those use up all 3 gem slots for one.

So while you might have this surmounted defense through auto blocking and whatnot, you will have no meter gain, no defense, no damage, no speed.

Seems worth it to me. Especially if you have that on the second character and your first has something like Block 10 times for +200 meter and +20% damage reduction.

I believe those use up all 3 gem slots for one. That's what the little 1,2,3 mean on the side in the icon. Now if it is true that we may or may not get five gem slots later it may be different.

So while you might have this really good defense through auto blocking and auto tech whatnot, you will have no additional meter gain gem properties, no defense/iron wall, no damage, and no speed. You will need a playstyle that is aggressive enough to help you generate enough super meter to keep up with the holes in your defense that utilizes the auto tech and auto blocking gems.

I'm pure scrub mode but I feel like meter is pretty free in the game and the Ult. defense one is so inexpensive only costing a quarter. Going to make doing damage to defensive characters so much tougher. Each tech should be a full bar, not a quarter.

SUPARSTARX

5 gems slots are upcoming in a patch. You have that gem and the other two to whatever you like, like the 20% extra damage on counterhit to take up the 2 free slots left.

The expert input gem should be tourney standard though. :p

Right. This totally changes if we really have 5 slots later on. This also means touch of death when other characters have 5 slots full of damage, speed and pandora gems. By then I expect people to start whipping out Pandora combos if they give us 5 slots with DLC characters or even further down the line with a Super SFxT DLC update. And what about coordinated co-op blowing up your meter with mix ups? There's a lot to factor in. Jump in combos are so strong already. With five gem slots and with there being already 20% to 30% damage gems, I can't imagine how insanely fun combos will look later.

I wouldn't write off that EX Ultimate Defense as ruining the game yet because I can think of a lot of ways to get them to proc that and totally mess up all their meter. Again, the players using these gems would have to know how to keep up the meter. What if you're fighting grapplers? You can't touch them, you may not be able to zone them, and it certainly does not help defend against command grabs, air to air counter hitting into juggles. Those are chunks of 30-40% damage the player will take even if they use this EX Gem for grounded mix ups and normal throws. In the 3 gem slot setting, I don't see them staying up too long when you put those up on the plate along with it. This gem will not protect you from bad fireballs and spacing either. It's not like it will automatically block it all between animations. You toss out a bad poke or special, you still eat it.

I wouldn't write off that EX Ultimate Defense as ruining the game yet because I can think of a lot of ways to get them to proc that and totally mess up all their meter.

26 seconds into the DLC assist gems video you can see the EX Auto Throw Escape Lv.3 gem. It escapes throws automatically for you with no meter drain and it only costs 3 gem slots to use with no other drawbacks.

This is quite.... Formula changing no? :p

I think this has been misinterpreted. Capcom has spoke of expanding to five gem PRESETS to choose from at the character select, not five in-game gems.

There was footage of people who hacked into the game, they found and were able to access and use 5 gems in game. It's Capcpom's ballpark If they want people to roll with 5 gems though.

SUPARSTARX

26 seconds into the DLC assist gems video you can see the EX Auto Throw Escape Lv.3 gem. It escapes throws automatically for you with no meter drain and it only costs 3 gem slots to use with no other drawbacks.

I was just looking at the auto block & throw gem. If you want to just auto tech everything that's fine. But if the damage dealt to you in most matches are not even throws, that gem is useless taking up all your gem slots. Isn't that something to consider? If you fight a Rufus and all he does is dive kick and go for frame traps and not even throws, it's useless. Or even a Hugo that just comes in and claps your cheeks and command grabs.

Pretty game unchanging no? lol

edit: These gems don't even proc if you're in any sort of start up, active, or recovery frame. Limbs being throw out will be grabbed and hit, not blocked and not teched. So you have to zone the other guy out properly and plan out when you want to sacrifice meter for their mix ups and throw attempts along with balancing meter gain. You need a point character for battery most likely. I think teams built around these gems are going to be pretty limited.

Konosuke

Yes, Tom Cannon gets it! Pretty nifty. I hope they listen to him so that we can move on to implementing 3SO's buttoncheck menu.

@ProtomCannon said:
AoY9juuCEAAVFhn.jpg

Those are quite the few 'Ifs" your using there.

Pretty game unchanging no? lol

It completely shuts down one of their guard breaking tools. In my head, I'd say it is a bit better than 3 power gems activated for 10 seconds in which you'll probably run away. Do note, I'm waiting for the PC version so your talking theory with someone without the game yet. Hahahaha.

GorillaJu

Anyone who plans to play a Mishima or Jin at any kind of decent level in Tekken needs to be able to pull off EWGF with at least 80-90% efficiency. It's not safe if you get WGF. The difference in SFxT seems noticeable but not extremely so, while in Tekken the difference is night and day.

You don't even get the "DORYA!!!" unless you do EWGF.

SUPARSTARX

Those are quite the few 'Ifs" your using there.

It completely shuts down one of their guard breaking tools. In my head, I'd say it is a bit better than 3 power gems activated for 10 seconds in which you'll probably run away. Do note, I'm waiting for the PC version so your talking theory with someone without the game yet. Hahahaha.

That's alright. I have played a lot of MMOs the last few years, this stuff doesn't go unwasted and a lot of outcomes are quite predictable with a few surprises. The auto tech gem wipes out one chunk of possible incoming damage if you're idle. You will still be thrown if you're actively doing something or tossing out little jabs under frame disadvantage. There's no if there. I look at these auto tech and auto throw gems as part of a pie chart. You take out a small slice, but you just deal with everything else in a bolder fashion.

You will only tech during idle stance with meter availability. So the scenarios I put up are very real and very practical as grapplers are reigning supreme in SFxT moreso than SSF4AE2012.

Anyone who plans to play a Mishima or Jin at any kind of decent level in Tekken needs to be able to pull off EWGF with at least 80-90% efficiency. It's not safe if you get WGF. The difference in SFxT seems noticeable but not extremely so, while in Tekken the difference is night and day.

You don't even get the "DORYA!!!" unless you do EWGF.

The "DORYA" was always the best part, so I'm glad it's on his normal ones :p

But yeah, EWGF has all the best of the EX-WGF but without the start-up and with 30 more points of damage. Learn that shit people. I still need to do so myself :/

Doomshine

Anyone who plans to play a Mishima or Jin at any kind of decent level in Tekken needs to be able to pull off EWGF with at least 80-90% efficiency. It's not safe if you get WGF.

With the new style Jin it's not as important for him, his WGF is safe on block too, but it's nice for pressure against the wall.

SykoTech

Woah, didn't even know that Mega Man and Pac-Man had a story. I saw that Cole and the cats were locked out of Arcade mode back at launch, and assumed they would be the same. Great stuff.

Learning Jin has to be the most frustrating/rewarding thing I've done with any fighting game to date.

cr.lp, cr.lp, cr.mk SS thrusting uppercut st. mk SS thrusting uppercut tag cancel (or whatever the hell its called) feel so damn good.

corner pressure with jin in the right hands is amazing but part of me wishes he was as easy to learn as kazuya.

After about a week, I can get get SS 70% of the time, but its not enough :-/

Any tips on getting SS out more consistently, I hear ppl are doing the long cuts but that doing the exact ( fwd, n, d, d.fwd motion is best because of frames...)

I can't wait until Lars gets released.... :)

Skilletor

Practical? Not really, this is not something the typical fighting game players can do consistently. I've been playing Kazuya since day 1 and I can hardly do one EWGF by itself let alone 4 consecutively.

BTW, I thought max damage was 466 meterless. With meter I have no idea as I don't have the execution to test this out and see how much juggle potential it has and where it ends.

Sounds like a personal problem. I'm doing EWGF all the time now. Shout outs to Tekken playing Tekken since 2. I wouldn't consider myself proficient with a character if I couldn't do a staple move reliably.

Does Kazuya get extra lightning animation when he pulls true EWGF in this game?

Yes, it is slightly more exaggerated.

It's also got a purple tinge to the lightning.

Nyoro SF

Played some casuals against some friends a couple of days ago so I thought I would put on the autotech gem just to see how good it was.

It was really freaking good, it's a complete momentum killer for half a bar. If the upcoming DLC autotech gem is of any indication it's going to be hard to throw people online for a long time...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Played some casuals against some friends a couple of days ago so I thought I would put on the autotech gem just to see how good it was.

It was really freaking good, it's a complete momentum killer for half a bar. If the upcoming DLC autotech gem is of any indication it's going to be hard to throw people online for a long time...

The autotech gem only uses half a bar each time?

Nyoro SF

The autotech gem only uses half a bar each time?

Yeah, only half.

I'm a fairly balanced player offense and defense wise so I usually have at least one bar of meter at my disposal. With the autotech gem I only have to worry about mixups. And I still have the option of teching normally if I can see a throw coming.

or you could put on 3 lvl1 fortitude gems which negate 100 damage each, effectively giving you 300 more hp. it would take 3 throws per round to make up that damage, at which point the auto throw escape would become more useful. do you really expect to get thrown more than 3 times per round?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah, only half.

I'm a fairly balanced player offense and defense wise so I usually have at least one bar of meter at my disposal. With the autotech gem I only have to worry about mixups. And I still have the option of teching normally if I can see a throw coming.

Wow. I thought it at least used an entire bar. That's kinda dumb. Is autoblock the same?

do you really expect to get thrown more than 3 times per round?

As a Dhalsim player, I expect to throw THEM more than 3 times. More than I can If the b+mk xx yoga flame isn't preferable. Slide>throws, stupid mixup chances where my throws beat specific moves, IATs gimmick traps etc. Heck the back throw is a really good tool for flinging the offensive guy off me at times. I don't want to lose that. ;_;

LakeEarth

IMO. He is the best character in the game if you can pull out his EWGF move seamlessly as a footsie tool/anti-air and of course in combos.

450 damage off a combo/no meter = USE IT.

Kazuya's EWGF hitbox is like a stainless steel fridge or a 18-wheeler.

I need to work on this. I never know if I'm doing it right. The little bit of extra lightning doesn't seem to register in my eyes.

So it has to be forward neutral down down-forward mp or hp? You can't game the system? Like, 2xqcf, but you still hit punch right at down-forward?

Right now my combos do ~375 from a c.lk, but that's using a bar.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
As a Dhalsim player, I expect to throw THEM more than 3 times. More than I can If the b+mk xx yoga flame isn't preferable. Slide>throws, stupid mixup chances where my throws beat specific moves, IATs gimmick traps etc. Heck the back throw is a really good tool for flinging the offensive guy off me at times. I don't want to lose that. ;_;

Agreed. I play Sim as well and I usually get 2 throws in a round, if not more. Depends on what they let me do. The throw window isn't as guaranteed as in sf4 though so I've been weaning myself off of the corner throw.

Any good Steve tech around? Steve has been my Tekken main chicken since 4, but I have no idea what to do with him in this setting. Does he do well on point? Other characters I'm interested are Julia and Lili, so he can go in back if need be.

Gonna drop Vega, despite the new juggling properties working very well in his favour; I can't shake the feeling that it's the same dude I've been playing for the last 3 years.

Top Bottom