• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

I'm having trouble landing Vega's cosmic heel after mk scarlet terror. Is the timing pretty strict after ST, because CH has been whiffing for me.

laaame

Time for my weekly question ;3
Anyone want me to put their PSN AND/OR XBL gamertag to the first post(s)?

Just got the game so why not.

PSN: d1eguy
Edit: Oh and I suck so if you want a real challenge then I can't provide you with that. Sorry =(

Might as well ask this here since I am already making this post. Has anyone went to a tournament and just gets starstruck? I just went down to NCR yesterday just to see what a major looked like and everything felt so surreal, seeing so many people I recognize, in person. I mean what the hell, these people aren't real, they are just those people who are in the videos I watch.

Jenga

Banned
If Raven stays in the land of bullshit where he currently lives, I can definitely see Capcom giving him some health nerfs. Probably join 900 land with Dhalsim and women.

Sayah

If Raven stays in the land of bullshit where he currently lives, I can definitely see Capcom giving him some health nerfs. Probably join 900 land with Dhalsim and women.

This post made me do it.
jTIJz5F3WVz36.jpg

j8GCKO8Der0yD.jpg

complete sausagefest, lol
I can't understand why they can't just appropriate even health distribution to the characters. Would that make the game unbalanced?

This post made me do it.
jTIJz5F3WVz36.jpg

j8GCKO8Der0yD.jpg

complete sausagefest, lol
I can't understand why they can't just appropriate even health distribution to the characters. Would that make the game unbalanced?

In a lot of cases, the health is meant to be a trade off for the character's strengths. For example, Dhalsim has tools to keep his enemies out so they lower his health to make up for him being able to avoid damage. Akuma is a beast in terms of damage output, so they lower his health for that reason.

Of course, it could be argued that the health nerf outweighs the strengths and whatnot, but it's been this way for a while.

But for some reason, being a female character just means you get lower health, and not necessarily being compensated in other ways in terms of offensive/defensive tools.

brian

Good commentary on the NCR stream. Absolutely agree that switch tagging is key in this game. So much life can be recovered if you keep your characters rested, and that adds up quickly.

winner's finals results
Chris G just got bodied by Infiltration in Winner's Finals.

Sayah

In a lot of cases, the health is meant to be a trade off for the character's strengths. For example, Dhalsim has tools to keep his enemies out so they lower his health to make up for him being able to avoid damage. Akuma is a beast in terms of damage output, so they lower his health for that reason.

Of course, it could be argued that the health nerf outweighs the strengths and whatnot, but it's been this way for a while.

But for some reason, being a female character just means you get lower health, and not necessarily being compensated in other ways in terms of offensive/defensive tools.

I suppose that makes a lot of sense. The disproportionate health used to be a problem for me with Nina when I first started this game. She took damage like a wet paper bag. But since then, I've gotten a lot better at blocking and knowing the mechanics.

And I just happened to be procrastinating on a Sunday evening and created the chart. :p

Good commentary on the NCR stream. Absolutely agree that switch tagging is key in this game. So much life can be recovered if you keep your characters rested, and that adds up quickly.

winner's finals results
Chris G just got bodied by Infiltration in Winner's Finals.
Floe
;_;

Shouta

That Grand Final was just trash.

Seriously, punish with hard hitting combos, not more hits. That's for the play in general, I think.

brian

Yeah, it's just the way players like this have been trained to play these games, especially coming off Marvel 3. But whatever, it's the first major for this game and people are still learning how it works. I was very entertained by the top 8, and frankly until tonight I had been starting to lose interest in watching this game.

Yeah, it's just the way players like this have been trained to play these games, especially coming off Marvel 3. But whatever, it's the first major for this game and people are still learning how it works. I was very entertained by the top 8, and frankly until tonight I had been starting to lose interest in watching this game.
How can you compare the pace and damage from Mahvel 3 with this game? Surely you meant SFIV or something. If people treated this game like Mahvel then they'd be going for kill combos every chance they get. Even UMvC3 with it's buffed zoning will still see you getting killed if you have less than 80% health.

You've got it twisted.

brian

The amount of time outs in top 8? Laughable.

People need to maul each other.

I don't really understand why people complain about time outs so much. I know in theory it promotes turtling, but I haven't really seen that to the point of being boring. The timer is just an element of the game that you have to keep in mind, and people just need to learn how to manage it better. That timeout win in the Grand Finals
when Chris G was 1 second too late of killing Infiltration and taking the round was really great.

I do really wish the supers didn't tick off seconds, though.

brian

How can you compare the pace and damage from Mahvel 3 with this game? Surely you meant SFIV or something. If people treated this game like Mahvel then they'd be going for kill combos with every chance they get. Even UMvC3 with it's buffed zoning will still see you getting killed if you have less than 80% health.

You've got it twisted.

That's not what I'm talking about. The players are trained by other games to do long elaborate combos to maximize damage, but in this game it is more important to make a fewer amount of hits count more.

Venfayth

How much does tag cut the damage in this game? I'm honestly curious and I want to learn a little more about this game because the talk is getting kinda over the top.

One hit's worth of damage reduction.

ABC Launcher starts them at like 70% or 60% damage reduced when your partner comes in.

Shouta

If you've been watching, a lot of folks were going for switch combos and more hits but the scaling starts to kick in after the 4th or 5th hit (can't recall off the top of my head). So while keeping the combo going is great but you eventually lose out on damage. Additionally, all the jabs/shorts being tossed in the attacks make the scaling kick in faster before the big damage comes in reducing the effectiveness of your combo. Because combos are easier to do in this game, punishing mistakes with big damage is pretty key or looking for the bigger hits in general. That's part of the reason why timeouts are so prevalent right now.

If you notice Infiltrations fighting, his damage was pretty high because he kept it short for the most part so his combos weren't getting scaled badly whereas Chris lost a round because of the scaling basically dropped his damage to near nil and Infil won because Rolento was still at full life.

Granted, it's a little harder to get big combos and nasty damage with street fighter characters but Tekken characters all have shit that leads into another attack for free combos if you open them up.

ABC Launcher starts them at like 70% or 60% damage reduced when your partner comes in.

Yep, LMH Launcher has mega scaling when the partner comes in but MH Launcher isn't too bad and a 400 damage combo is still very feasible.

I'm not a pro player by any means, but looking at how SFxTK handles health, supers and scaling has had me thinking. What do people who are better at the game and understand it more think of this theory?

Generally characters get a ton of recoverable health, which recovers fairly quickly while tagged out. As players get better at this game, tagging at the right moments to recover the most health seems likely. I'm seeing a lot of players go for long combos with lots of switch cancels. These combos tend to 1. scale a bunch, so half of the combo does very low damage, 2. give the opponent a lot of potential recoverable health and 3. gives the opponent lots of meter - meter building while getting hit doesn't scale at all.

Then I look at super and cross arts. A short combo or hit confirm into a super doesn't scale as much, or give as much meter(I think, depending on combo/super) but it also doesn't give any recoverable health. You could potentially add the recoverable health left over to the damage a super does for its true damage, assuming the possibility of a tag. Then Cross Arts don't give any recoverable health and get rid of any that a character has.

It seems to me like the game could evolve into short hit confirms into supers and cross arts instead of using meter for lengthy switch cancel combos, which is what I saw a ton of at NCR.

Does this seem legit or am I missing something? Like I said, I'm not very good at these games haha.

DR2K

Banned
How much does tag cut the damage in this game? I'm honestly curious and I want to learn a little more about this game because the talk is getting kinda over the top.

You know how fast Phoenix heals her red life when she rests? It's universally that fast and that large.

sleepykyo

That Grand Final was just trash.

Seriously, punish with hard hitting combos, not more hits. That's for the play in general, I think.
That´s pretty true. Those second switch cancel usually does nothing in terms of damage. If they want to keep the same character in just go for the ex and super comboes.

cackhyena

If you've been watching, a lot of folks were going for switch combos and more hits but the scaling starts to kick in after the 4th or 5th hit (can't recall off the top of my head). So while keeping the combo going is great but you eventually lose out on damage. Additionally, all the jabs/shorts being tossed in the attacks make the scaling kick in faster before the big damage comes in reducing the effectiveness of your combo. Because combos are easier to do in this game, punishing mistakes with big damage is pretty key or looking for the bigger hits in general. That's part of the reason why timeouts are so prevalent right now.

If you notice Infiltrations fighting, his damage was pretty high because he kept it short for the most part so his combos weren't getting scaled badly whereas Chris lost a round because of the scaling basically dropped his damage to near nil and Infil won because Rolento was still at full life.

Granted, it's a little harder to get big combos and nasty damage with street fighter characters but Tekken characters all have shit that leads into another attack for free combos if you open them up.

Ah, I see. I guess I needed that spelled out. Anyways, yeah, I pretty much agree there.

GorillaJu

Yep, LMH Launcher has mega scaling when the partner comes in but MH Launcher isn't too bad and a 400 damage combo is still very feasible.

Yeah, this is why link combos that start with MP, MP are so much better than doing the chain start-up. Every time I see Mike Ross do his L M H EX charge with Marduk I just think he'd be doing so much more dmg if he didn't start with the chain.

That's not what I'm talking about. The players are trained by other games to do long elaborate combos to maximize damage, but in this game it is more important to make a fewer amount of hits count more.
I get you now. You mean stuff like meter expenditure and such? It's been said quite a few times that people aren't spending enough meter in this game when they should and it's making time outs more prevalent. These tags also sound like they shouldn't be spammed constantly. Eh, it's still early. I'll refrain from jumping to conclusions.

My bad if I came off a bit strong before.

Thanks for this little bit. Are there any major meter/damage benefits to the tag besides safely switching characters? Doesn't sound like a good idea to waste meter after tag if supers are also scaled(unless it's a match ending super).
You know how fast Phoenix heals her red life when she rests? It's universally that fast and that large.
woah...

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Damage scaling is pretty stiff in this game in general, and that's where you are getting things twisted. 100% combos don't effectively exist in SFxT, whereas they do in Marvel. Raw tags don't necessarily mean potential death for the incoming character, and neither can you afford to let either team member die. Another difference is that recoverable life heals much faster than it does in Marvel, so any time after a switch at all is really good. All of this is different from Marvel, though, so there's going to be some adjustment.

Maybe you should spend less time hating on these games and start paying more attention.

Shouta

That´s pretty true. Those second switch cancel usually does nothing in terms of damage. If they want to keep the same character in just go for the ex and super comboes.

Yep. Super Combos and EXs are good to end on because of the bigger damage, so even with the scaling, you'll extend your combo. It's just switch canceling a second time is bad and doing regular hits does little for damage.

Yeah, this is why link combos that start with MP, MP are so much better than doing the chain start-up. Every time I see Mike Ross do his L M H EX charge with Marduk I just think he'd be doing so much more dmg if he didn't start with the chain.

Yep. I was practicing Lili and the MH Launcher increased the damage on the same tag combo by almost 60 points when compared to the LMH launcher.

GorillaJu

Yep. Super Combos and EXs are good to end on because of the bigger damage, so even with the scaling, you'll extend your combo. It's just switch canceling a second time is bad and doing regular hits does little for damage.

Yep. I was practicing Lili and the MH Launcher increased the damage on the same tag combo by almost 60 points when compared to the LMH launcher.

Lili's is actually special. Her launcher does 100 dmg when part of a chain, where as every other character's launcher dmg goes to 50 when chained into. She has great potential for high dmg juggle combos.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I do think timeouts are ruining this game. If you effectively have twice the health, then you should have an option to play with twice the time.

Hell, you could even get cute and add extra time if the "losing player" is starting a comeback as time winds down.

Winning by timeout is for cowards and I dont know why this game encourages that.

DR2K

Banned
Yeah, man, life leads are so cheap.

They're very damning at the last 15-20 seconds. Considering that damage stops as soon as time runs outs, even during the long winded supers, pandora, cross arts, etc. . . Makes coming back especially difficult.

Shouta

Lili's is actually special. Her launcher does 100 dmg when part of a chain, where as every other character's launcher dmg goes to 50 when chained into. She has great potential for high dmg juggle combos.

Interesting, I didn't know that.

But still, concept remains the same. Same basic tag in combo with king is a 30 damage difference with that Low inserted instead of going from Medium into launcher.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Yeah, man, life leads are so cheap.

If you win by being aggressive and it so happens that you have more life, whatever, thats fine ... it's the playstyle that aims to win by time out from the get-go I cant stand.

"Yeah, man, life leads are so cheap."

You should always be jumping in, even when you have no reason to. It's like how in all competitive games and sports, you never protect your lead by playing defensive or running the clock out.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
DR2K: He was making a general statement before applying it to SFxT. I agree that the timer isn't appropriate for how long matches take to come to a conclusion in SFxT, but whining about timeouts in general is laughable.

Damage scaling is pretty stiff in this game in general, and that's where you are getting things twisted. 100% combos don't effectively exist in SFxT, whereas they do in Marvel. Raw tags don't necessarily mean potential death for the incoming character, and neither can you afford to let either team member die. Another difference is that recoverable life heals much faster than it does in Marvel, so any time after a switch at all is really good. All of this is different from Marvel, though, so there's going to be some adjustment.

Maybe you should spend less time hating on these games and start paying more attention.
Anyone can tell that there are no 100% combos. Hell, getting to 80% may only be something that we'd see in a Desk video for this particular game. I never made the claim that they should be trying to do these crazy combos either. All I said(by making my own stupid assumption) was that if they approached the game from the angle of MvC then they'd be pushing for the biggest damage they can get. Long combos are clearly not the best way to win this game quickly.

Also, nice bit there at the end about me "hating" on the game. I barely check the thread and I don't spend my time shitting it up with bullshit DLC issues or roster crap. If I post anything outside of here(where no one can defend the game) then it's mostly joking. Next time I shouldn't even bother with questions(I should read more carefully before I open my big yap) if it's gonna get me labeled that quickly.
If you win by being aggressive and it so happens that you have more life, whatever, thats fine ... it's the playstyle that aims to win by time out from the get-go I cant stand.
That hardly makes it cowardly. It's just another way to win the game and that is all that matters in the end(so long as you aren't cheating of course).

Raging Spaniard

That hardly makes it cowardly. It's just another way to win the game and that is all that matters in the end(so long as you aren't cheating of course).

I'm not neglecting it's usefulness, I'm just putting my game designer hat on and saying it fucking sucks.

SupaNaab

This game is not fun to watch for me. I doubt any minor change in mechanics or meta-game will change this for me. I hope future fighters in general are designed with competitive viewership in mind.

Top Bottom