• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

sleepykyo

I do think timeouts are ruining this game. If you effectively have twice the health, then you should have an option to play with twice the time.

Hell, you could even get cute and add extra time if the "losing player" is starting a comeback as time winds down.

Winning by timeout is for cowards and I dont know why this game encourages that.
But what if you´re doing more damage? The damage off of a light hit confirm was pretty low without meter.

lk lp lp spiral arrow is 180 in sf4

v.

lp lp lp cross rush into closs hk jc steps hk is 240

Juri does 300 meterless for her AA
Rolento gets 240 meterless off of jab

Not to mention you only need to take out one character .

I´m not going to current time is fine‚ but it's hard to call at the current level of play .

Sayah

Played this game online (ranked matches) after a week or so and I'm starting to see a lot more diversity online. Shoto players are still there but not nearly as much. In turn, the diverse competition is making the game a lot more fun. And I'm starting to beat people in the 5000's BP's. Amazing. Nobody sends hatemail in this game, though.

brian

They're very damning at the last 15-20 seconds. Considering that damage stops as soon as time runs outs, even during the long winded supers, pandora, cross arts, etc. . . Makes coming back especially difficult.

Comebacks are possible, you just have to put yourself in good position to make one. If you get down to 15-20 seconds and your opponent has a lot of life left on both of his characters, I don't see any reason you should be entitled to a comeback opportunity. Once you get down to 30 seconds and you're far behind in life, you really have to take serious risks to have a shot to win. This means leaving characters in who are low on life instead of switching to save valuable seconds, and putting heavy pressure on at all costs. It is still possible to win if you're losing, because you just need to kill one character, and by that time they hopefully won't be at full health. The timer is an important resource in this game, and I think the time outs thing will work itself out over time as players learn how to manage it better.

GorillaJu

I took the game over to my gf's house (her younger brother is a damn good Tekken player) and as expected, his success rate for EWGFs, even on SFxT was like 90%. :(

Tizoc

OK updated the first post(s) with online tags ;3
Apologies for not being online a lot, my new job's taking up a lot of time during work days...that and my PS3 backlog, somewhat limit my playtime of this game unless it's online with friends ^_^;

rofl noel brown and james chen are saying marvel is better than SFxT, that its "not comparable" on twitter.
Also noel claiming that all of FGTV house agree as well.

Tirael

Hi guys, new SFxT player, have a couple of simple questions.

I'm trying to use Kazuya and Paul. I feel like I'm getting used to them, and I've got some BNBs pretty much down, but the main thing I have a problem with is approaching safely. Is there any other way to approach than with jumping in?

I mean, I've got Kazuya's Mist Step cancel downpat, but if they're projectile spamming and they see me rolling up, they cut that shit out quick.

Tobe

I'm trying to use Kazuya and Paul. I feel like I'm getting used to them, and I've got some BNBs pretty much down, but the main thing I have a problem with is approaching safely. Is there any other way to approach than with jumping in?

I mean, I've got Kazuya's Mist Step cancel downpat, but if they're projectile spamming and they see me rolling up, they cut that shit out quick.

patience and footsies.

sleepykyo

Comebacks are possible, you just have to put yourself in good position to make one. If you get down to 15-20 seconds and your opponent has a lot of life left on both of his characters, I don't see any reason you should be entitled to a comeback opportunity. Once you get down to 30 seconds and you're far behind in life, you really have to take serious risks to have a shot to win. This means leaving characters in who are low on life instead of switching to save valuable seconds, and putting heavy pressure on at all costs. It is still possible to win if you're losing, because you just need to kill one character, and by that time they hopefully won't be at full health. The timer is an important resource in this game, and I think the time outs thing will work itself out over time as players learn how to manage it better.
A lot of players also wasted time looking for the perfect tag out which never materialised. I´d be surprised if players don't develop better exit tactics later .

Shouta

Patience and footsies like Tobe said. Special movement and forward dashes help a lot as well if properly used. Your EX Attacks can help sometimes too. Paul, in particular, is pretty slow both in walk and dash as I recall so jumping plus using the movements of his attacks and specials is pretty key.

SUPARSTARX

I don't want to discourage new players but simply offering the advice of footsies and patience isn't particularly the best way to learn this game. It's an important fundamental aspect but I would encourage some creative combo learning. Look up your character forums on SRK and see if there are big damaging punishes you can find.

This game is heavy on damage. Not enough people are exploring it. We didn't even have any full time out matches in top 8 at NCRX. Although I did see a lot of missed punished opportunities.

Whiff a normal? Get punished for 500 damage ungemmed not get counter poked for 60 damage.

If anything, you should drop Paul, he has perhaps one of the worst forward dashes in the game. Overall, he is not really a good character. The 3hit hits his Shredder does is stupid and doesn't let you follow up with anything unless it only hits once or twice

Shouta

I don't want to discourage new players but simply offering the advice of footsies and patience isn't particularly the best way to learn this game. It's an important fundamental aspect but I would encourage some creative combo learning. Look up your character forums on SRK and see if there are big damaging punishes you can find.

This game is heavy on damage. Not enough people are exploring it. We didn't even have any full time out matches in top 8 at NCRX. Although I did see a lot of missed punished opportunities.

Whiff a normal? Get punished for 500 damage ungemmed not get counter poked for 60 damage.

Well, if you're playing a Tekken character, poking leads to big ass damage if you're doing it right. I do a lot of prodding with Law even though my basic combos aren't all that hot in damage. But if I land a cr.mp or cr.mk, with any sort of meter, kiss half your life goodbye. He also builds meter like a champ so. =D

Kamisamaa: Paul is an uphill climb at the moment. He has medicore damage for how slow and few hits he has. But if you want to play him, I think cr.mp is really freaking nice for him and it leads to some of his other stuff, so you can kinda use it like you would Ryu's cr.mp

sleepykyo

Footsies/zoning/positioning . Damaging combos are meaningless if you can´t touch them.

Tirael

Kamisamaa: Paul is an uphill climb at the moment. He has medicore damage for how slow and few hits he has. But if you want to play him, I think cr.mp is really freaking nice for him and it leads to some of his other stuff, so you can kinda use it like you would Ryu's cr.mp

Oh cool, thanks. That's what I needed to know. I'm training for a local tournament, and I really need to get my basics down before I work on my BNBs any more. Paul's EX Sway seems extremely good, and leads to an easy combo.

rofl noel brown and james chen are saying marvel is better than SFxT, that its "not comparable" on twitter.
Also noel claiming that all of FGTV house agree as well.

Knowing James Chen he probably meant to say that SFxT was better but got confused.

As for Noel Brown, he probably doesn't like it because he is not any good at the game. When he learns to play MvC3 properly he will learn the downsides of it.

Shouta

Oh cool, thanks. That's what I needed to know. I'm training for a local tournament, and I really need to get my basics down before I work on my BNBs any more. Paul's EX Sway seems extremely good, and leads to an easy combo.

Paul's cr.mp can be linked so you can probably use that for combo starters but you can find some decent stuff in the Paul forum on SRK. He's pretty Street Fighter-esque for a Tekken char though.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
sleepykyo: Furthermore, a damaging combo counts for much less if it allows them to tag out afterward. They'll just heal it back.

Tobe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0cFs5mHQC4 most of the footsie part can translate into sfxtk, just remember to maximize your damage that means use your 2~4 first hits really well and also take into consideration how tekken characters have some kind of dodge move.

Mist step / special step is killing me. I really like using Kaz/Jin but I'm never gonna get really good at them unless I can get that movement down.

I can do enough damage with Kaz just using target combo/slaughter hook/god fist combinations but really feel I'm missing out not being able to combo DORYAS!

I guess it's just time in the lab.

I can do enough damage with Kaz just using target combo/slaughter hook/god fist combinations but really feel I'm missing out not being able to combo DORYAS!

I know the feel bro. Watching Mr. Naps makes me feel so depressed because I know that even in a year or two, my execution won't be no where near good enough to do EWGF consistently, let alone connect 2 or 3 in a row let alone the max of 4 :(

Right now I still can't even do just one. I can sit in the training room for 30 minutes doing it over and over and maybe I'll get it 10 times, in maybe 300 tries.

shaowebb

I have to ask something with all the talk about life leads and folks playing defensively to play out the clock to win via health on time outs. Forgive me if this is just me being too general in my thoughts but its an idea I'd like to know about.

Are a lot of people putting Hugo on second in teams so that
  • So they can have a HUGE health character on reserve putting them at a constant advantage on life as they lame out the clock all match
  • Also so they can maximize damage on tag combos whenever confronted and then pop him back out to further lengthen their life lead

I don't own the game. I don't play it. I barely know about its meta. It just seemed like something feasible as a strategy to me as the simplest way to win. This is coming from someone who doesn't know a lot about the game though, but I'd like to know if this is something you've seen people doing or not. I'd imagine if this is a real strategy something like a space control point +Hugo would be rather good. Maybe Sagat/Hugo?

Can anyone confirm or deconfirm whether using Hugo on second for the life lead tactics is something people are doing with the game currently?

shaowebb

No joke, Scramble Battle might be the most fun I've had with SfxT yet.

I wanted to get the game for that and other reasons ( a big one is Poison), but I am on 360 and the lack of cast from the PS3-side plus the inability to scramble battle with mixes of online/offline on my console compounded with the likelihood of super turbo down the line with those 12 extra cast kind of has me holding off for now to see what develops later on.

Can anyone confirm or deconfirm whether using Hugo on second for the life lead tactics is something people are doing with the game currently?

I wouldn't think so. The point with Hugo is he does big damage and has lots of life, and is also easy to play.

So people use him because the game has just come out, and they want to do big damage whilst soaking a lot up. As people get better at other characters and can do the same damage without getting hit, you will see his usage drop off significantly. Just like today with 1 Hugo in the top 16.

Same thing happens with most fighting games. I feel Zangief will be the bigger danger as things play out.

shaowebb

I wouldn't think so. The point with Hugo is he does big damage and has lots of life, and is also easy to play.

So people use him because the game has just come out, and they want to do big damage whilst soaking a lot up. As people get better at other characters and can do the same damage without getting hit, you will see his usage drop off significantly. Just like today with 1 Hugo in the top 16.

Same thing happens with most fighting games. I feel Zangief will be the bigger danger as things play out.

Cool. I was just curious on that. I know I'd heard here and there people putting him second just for big finishes to combos, but I didn't know if there was a "life lead" tactic involved in that deal too. Hugo is just Hugo then...a guy put on teams to dish damage in either slot.

I know the feel bro. Watching Mr. Naps makes me feel so depressed because I know that even in a year or two, my execution won't be no where near good enough to do EWGF consistently, let alone connect 2 or 3 in a row let alone the max of 4 :(

Right now I still can't even do just one. I can sit in the training room for 30 minutes doing it over and over and maybe I'll get it 10 times, in maybe 300 tries.

I haven't really touch Kaz until like 30 minutes ago in training mode. I tried to see how well i can get EWGF down and basically out of every 5-10 uppercuts I get 1 EWGF and the other are just the regular rising uppercut. =(

Fucking sucks.... EWGF so freaking good too it's better than the god damn EX rising uppercut!

Never have I have my pokes poked so many times in a game before.

There I am at maximum range of Chun's sHP and it gets jabbed and confirmed into an auto-launch combo. Isn't there a hierarchy of move strength in this game?

AEREC

Anyone have any tips on landing King's Running Jaguar Bomb after performing his knee lift?

I cant seem to get the timing on it.

Can he only do it after a certain amount of knee lifts?

Do you input the command right after a knee left or cancel from a knee lift to the RJB?

alstein

Never have I have my pokes poked so many times in a game before.

There I am at maximum range of Chun's sHP and it gets jabbed and confirmed into an auto-launch combo. Isn't there a hierarchy of move strength in this game?

There usually isn't a hierarchy in fighters, it's all about hitboxes, except for stuff like armor.

In SF2 you'd jab headbutts and Blanka Balls. (you can still do it in SF4, though it's harder and not every char can do it)

I just found it really odd that, not only was I getting hit, but the extended hitbox allowed for a string that otherwise shouldn't have connected to connect.

I was under the impression that if someone was throwing out jabs and I then a strong at max range, no matter what frame of animation the jab is in the strong wins.

Or maybe the issue I'm having is with the hurtbox.

USD

I just found it really odd that, not only was I getting hit, but the extended hitbox allowed for a string that otherwise shouldn't have connected to connect.

I was under the impression that if someone was throwing out jabs and I then a strong at max range, no matter what frame of animation the jab is in the strong wins.

Or maybe the issue I'm having is with the hurtbox.

There is no sort of priority based on button strength. It's all about start-up, hitboxes, and spacing. Assuming both moves are in range, start-up determines which move wins. What button you push doesn't matter if you haven't actually reach active frames yet (unless the move has some sort of invulnerability).

Are you getting counterhit out of st.HP? Whiffing the move and getting punished? Regardless of which it is, getting hit by a jab that would have otherwise missed because of extended hurtboxes isn't an oddity, it's a key point of footsies and spacing.

V_Arnold

Timeouts definitely do not ruin the game - for me.
I am content with winning with Time, it is a factor, it is a valid way to win.

Finally time means something in this game. If there is 30~ secs left and you are WAY behind, you really need to step it up. And that is good.

Yeah, counters hits. Never saw them anywhere near the frequency that I'm seeing here.

I was wondering if it was a product of the game because this didn't really happen in 4 outside of srks and whatnot on reaction.

galvatron

Did you watch LordOfUltima's tutorial on it?

Anyone have any tips on landing King's Running Jaguar Bomb after performing his knee lift?

I cant seem to get the timing on it.

Can he only do it after a certain amount of knee lifts?

Do you input the command right after a knee left or cancel from a knee lift to the RJB?
substitute the last knee life with a crouching fierce instead. its much easier to get the timing down if you do crouching fierce xx running jaguar bomb. it is possible to do it after a knee lift though, just a little bit trickier to time (gotta do it pretty early).

sleepykyo

I have to ask something with all the talk about life leads and folks playing defensively to play out the clock to win via health on time outs. Forgive me if this is just me being too general in my thoughts but its an idea I'd like to know about.

Are a lot of people putting Hugo on second in teams so that
  • So they can have a HUGE health character on reserve putting them at a constant advantage on life as they lame out the clock all match
  • Also so they can maximize damage on tag combos whenever confronted and then pop him back out to further lengthen their life lead

I don't own the game. I don't play it. I barely know about its meta. It just seemed like something feasible as a strategy to me as the simplest way to win. This is coming from someone who doesn't know a lot about the game though, but I'd like to know if this is something you've seen people doing or not. I'd imagine if this is a real strategy something like a space control point +Hugo would be rather good. Maybe Sagat/Hugo?

Not on the stream. Online Dahlism Hugo team . It kind of works ‚ you lose the life lead trying to get in Dahlism and Hugo gets in one way or another and you don't really have time to take the difference out of Hugo playing defensively. So you´re stuck going in on a character that should normally should be kept out.

From Dahlism Hugo to Rufus Hugo or even Ken Akuma‚ it seems the festering pit of online put more thought into their team composition than a good chunk of ncr.

ElFly

Yep. Super Combos and EXs are good to end on because of the bigger damage, so even with the scaling, you'll extend your combo. It's just switch canceling a second time is bad and doing regular hits does little for damage.

Yep. I was practicing Lili and the MH Launcher increased the damage on the same tag combo by almost 60 points when compared to the LMH launcher.

Gonna check out this. Seems like a great tip.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Not on the stream. Online Dahlism Hugo team . It kind of works ‚ you lose the life lead trying to get in Dahlism and Hugo gets in one way or another and you don't really have time to take the difference out of Hugo playing defensively. So you´re stuck going in on a character that should normally should be kept out.

I run a Sim/Hugo team and that's not exactly my strategy, but it does end up like that.

My rationale for the team is to throw people off their game by fighting Dhalsim, then let Hugo come in and conventionally abuse someone who is rattled by Sim (and jump-happy.)

EDIT: I totally misinterpreted your post. Yes, Sim vs Hugo with little time is frustrating.

it seems the festering pit of online put more thought into their team composition than a good chunk of ncr.
or they're just playing what they want to play. otherwise, every match would look like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAJUelWRWBs

i don't mind the time situation in this game. people are used to playing at their own pace, but in this game you'll have to adjust. people are saying it promotes overly defensively play, which yes it does, but it also promotes overly offensive play as well. i think more of an issue people should be worried about when someone plays defensive is not whether the time will run out, rather how do you open them up and how do you do big damage. this is extremely easy in marvel, but not so much in this game--at least not yet. i think people will find some nasty tricks. for example, people are spending bar on tag switch cancel combos that get hit hard by scaling. personally, i think that might be spent more wisely on a tag switch cancel to initiate a 50/50 mixup.

hertog

Haven't played this game for three days.
I play some online games

Akuma/Ryu ... Ryu/Ken.... Ryu/Akuma ... Ryu/Hugo ..... Ryu/Ken.... Ryu/Kazuya... Ryu/Ken... Ryu/Akumka

Ugh...

Top Bottom