• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

shaowebb

Since I own 360 I wont buy this game as all the content seems to be on PS3 with mixed online/offline scramble mode and 5 extra cast. I did rent it today though and I have been playing Poison/Hugo.

Wow...game is fun and Poison is everything I hoped she'd be. She compliments Hugo a lot to with those exchange combos of theres. Tons of damage and its easy to make BNB's for either with their tools. Hugo's health and damage is pretty beastly to overcome IMO. It doesn't take much to do a lot with the guy if you like playing patiently or if you like just using him to tag in to finish combos with big stuff. Haven't lost yet, but its only been a few hours. Feels fun. Audio dies online just like I heard and load times during even offline sessions are terrible. Plus finding matches seem sluggish for some reason, but it could just be my BP or rank or something.

Game is fun just like I'd hoped, but I'll still hold out for Super Turbo and likely that only after I get a PS3 sometime after fall.

I wonder when people are going to realize that SFxT was "meant to be played with Gems" and was made for literal "2v2 battles."

Yeah, Capcom goofed up with Tournament Mode (which probably may not be as bad as they displayed it) but 2v2 will being mad hype in the community with tons of salt, because "1v1, no Gems, Training Stage" ain't cuttin' it.

Horseress

I wonder when people are going to realize that SFxT was "meant to be played with Gems" and was made for literal "2v2 battles."

Yeah, Capcom goofed up with Tournament Mode (which probably may not be as bad as they displayed it) but 2v2 will being mad hype in the community with tons of salt, because 1v1 ain't cuttin' it.

I think we'll see a different game when gems became available on tournaments, and people online start to dig into them with more passion.

Venfayth

Unless it closes out the round or gives you the lead is it really worth spending the second bar to do 70 pts extra damage at the cost of wiping out 150-200pts of your own health?

C1 initiates.
C2 gets in first switch in. Neglible health loss.
C1 gets switched back in 3 hits later/1 sec later. Probably not a neglible loss of regenerable health.

Depends on the situation. If you're not gonna lose anything (ie, you have no gray health to lose, you're in the overall life lead, time isn't against you) you may as well do 2 if you've got the meter. If your super or cross art give you something your character doesn't already have (like a fireball punish) or if you're playing someone with long block strings (someone who you can alpha counter easily) then you're probably better off saving your meter.

It's situational, but that's definitely not how we saw tag cancels being used yesterday. It was pretty mindless - but I'm pretty sure that's just a side effect of people being used to their combos.

Horseress

Again about the lack of SA's, Chris G was second on NCRX, and he just didn't use the meter for SA's! He never did! Just those long exchange combos all the time!
That just can't be right

horseress said:
Watching NCRX this weekend, I realized somethig....people NEED to stop changing characters during combos all the time! (don't remember if it has a specific name). This meter they spend is supposed to be used for Super Arts. It's more damaging then infinite's exchange combos and I bet there'll be a lot less time out's when people realize this....
Well, in some cases I agree. But you can turn a 380 damage combo into a 480 damage combo with one bar, and then into a 550 damage combo with another bar. It's guaranteed damage.

Saved bar won't always get used. At least, until people are good with alpha counters.
well i think its important to note recoverable life. super arts don't cause any recoverable life, and cross arts take away all recoverable life. with as many games going to timeout, recoverable life might make the difference between a win and a loss.

sleepykyo

Since I own 360 I wont buy this game as all the content seems to be on PS3 with mixed online/offline scramble mode and 5 extra cast. I did rent it today though and I have been playing Poison/Hugo.

Wow...game is fun and Poison is everything I hoped she'd be. She compliments Hugo a lot to with those exchange combos of theres. Tons of damage and its easy to make BNB's for either with their tools. Hugo's health and damage is pretty beastly to overcome IMO. It doesn't take much to do a lot with the guy if you like playing patiently or if you like just using him to tag in to finish combos with big stuff. Haven't lost yet, but its only been a few hours. Feels fun. Audio dies online just like I heard and load times during even offline sessions are terrible. Plus finding matches seem sluggish for some reason, but it could just be my BP or rank or something.

Game is fun just like I'd hoped, but I'll still hold out for Super Turbo and likely that only after I get a PS3 sometime after fall.

Fairly certain it'll get sorted out in time for Super. Just like spectator mode was impossible in MVC3.

Uncle AJ

Does it connect on crouching opponents?

It's actually hcf, and only the EX version will connect on crouching opponents. Does a solid 180 damage and has decent range for a character that's starving for decently ranged pokes, so it's a good punish for unsafe moves. Also starts up really fast. No invincibility, though.

sleepykyo

Depends on the situation. If you're not gonna lose anything (ie, you have no gray health to lose, you're in the overall life lead, time isn't against you) you may as well do 2 if you've got the meter. If your super or cross art give you something your character doesn't already have (like a fireball punish) or if you're playing someone with long block strings (someone who you can alpha counter easily) then you're probably better off saving your meter.

It's situational, but that's definitely not how we saw tag cancels being used yesterday. It was pretty mindless - but I'm pretty sure that's just a side effect of people being used to their combos.

Agreed, there is probably a legimate use for switch cancels and that usually wasn't the case yesterday.

It was basically, take the guaranteed even if it meant losing more health in the recoverable yesterday.

Shouta

Your argument would make sense if Super Arts didn't burn ton of time off the clock.

Most Super Arts that are done as a part of a combo do huge damage, even if they burn time off the clock. 2 SAs in a combo from the stronger characters kills pretty much everyone in the game aside from the super high health folks. It's far far more efficient than Switch Canceling and pecking people for damage or going for singular pokes most of the time, unless you're totally destroying someone of course.

sleepykyo

Most Super Arts that are done as a part of a combo do huge damage, even if they burn time off the clock. 2 SAs in a combo from the stronger characters kills pretty much everyone in the game aside from the super high health folks. It's far far more efficient than Switch Canceling and pecking people for damage or going for singular pokes most of the time, unless you're totally destroying someone of course.

It's depends. The 70 that Veynath is using in his example is too low for my tastes, but I'd bite at one hundred.

I do really want to hit someone with crouching hp, median line destruction, sc, jump hk, hp, cannon spike, sc, cr mp, cr hp, median line destruction for 589 now.

Shame my actual play consists of mashing jab.

Shouta

It's depends. The 70 that Veynath is using is too low for my tastes, but I'd bite at one hundred.

I do really want to hit someone with crouching hp, median line destruction, sc, jump hk, hp, cannon spike, sc, cr mp, cr hp, median line destruction for 589 now.

Not sure what you're talking about. Do you mean poke damage?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Probably due to something in the code that made perfect sense to the developers but completely idiotic to the mainstream public. That tends to happen.....

I read the claim once that on XBL and PSN, there's a design requirement where the user must be notified with a pop-up and a dismiss button if an online action fails... no matter what.

In other words, the search for a matching game client in a fighter grinds for its specified time out, and the interface is required to dumbly let the player know that it didn't find anything rather than launch another search.

Supposedly it's in there to prevent badly designed interfaces from failing to find an online matchup and then never let the user know that it has stopped searching.

It seems rolling game lobbies like Halo or Call of Duty function differently so aren't constrained by the same interface design standards.

Does Law's ground bounce -> cHP -> Super not work on everyone or is my timing messed up? I thought I had a nice punish after a raw launcher (does like 500 if it's the first time Law comes in with dem gems)

I think I'm going to settle on Chun/Law. Chun's lame game is pretty damn good and Law is easily the most fun character in the game, but damn his walk speed is ass.

sleepykyo

Not sure what you're talking about. Do you mean poke damage?

In Veynath's example the second switch cancel only produced an additional 70 points. That was also what I obvserved yesterday. And as such, it didn't seem worth it. At a 100 points, I'd probably go for a second switch cancel unless I had a lot of recoverable health at stake.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Does Law's ground bounce -> cHP -> Super not work on everyone or is my timing messed up? I thought I had a nice punish after a raw launcher (does like 500 if it's the first time Law comes in with dem gems)

I think I'm going to settle on Chun/Law. Chun's lame game is pretty damn good and Law is easily the most fun character in the game, but damn his walk speed is ass.

I used to think it was a timing thing so I'd do the Super almost exactly with the HP..but then I swear I never, ever get it to land on Hugo. I haven't gone into training to test it with each character to confirm if it's a timing or hitbox thing.

Shouta

I think he was using the numbers in my example of combo damage (which were guesstimates)

380 meterless, 480 1 switch cancel, 550 2 switch cancels

OH! I see. Spending the meter to restore life like that for a few extra damage isn't worth it IMO especially because of how fast it regenerates. You also aren't guaranteed a damage increase especially if your juggle meter fills out preventing you from doing damage or you drop the combo on the second switch. It's better to maximize from a single switch.

It works. However, you need to activate the super as soon as the cr.HP hits otherwise the last kick won't land for the major damage. What you'll want to do is to do the QCB as you begin the cr.HP and then tap the 3x Kicks immediately when it hits. That'll land it for you. It can be a little tricky to get at first but you'll be get in pretty quickly. I usually even do a HCB even though it's a QCB just to get me into the timing.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
There should be a way to get some unscaled damage during a combo by wasting a decent chunk of meter.

Those scaled supers bleh...

LakeEarth

I think that you should always do switch cancel combos if you have any recoverable life to get back. Constantly getting your health back is way better than getting a large amount back when you're almost dead. If not, then just go with whatever does the most damage.

It kills me when I see a double switch cancel combo when someone has a load of recoverable life. IMO losing 100 recoverable life to do 100 extra damage is not worth it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yep, but adding something on top of that would be busted.

No way give me non scaling supers with attack gems so I can start doing some 1.2k ogre combos LOL

Speaking of busted, I have no idea why some people poke at julia when I have all 3 of her attack gems going.... seeing their life bar just fucking EXPLODE is always hilarious

impact

Banned

As a PS3 owner, the extra content isn't that great. The cats are Ryu/Kazuya rehashes. Mega Man is shitty, Pacman is kind of shitty and Cole is cool but no one plays him. The two player thing is the all you'd truly be missing out on.

As a PS3 owner, the extra content isn't that great. The cats are Ryu/Kazuya rehashes. Mega Man is shitty, Pacman is kind of shitty and Cole is cool but no one plays him. The two player thing is the all you'd truly be missing out on.

Not exactly, Ryu doesn't have a air tatsu as god like as Toro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VETwEdHlwE&t=5m2s

I run Kazuya and Ryu on the Xbox version. If I had the PS3 version I would definitely play those 2 every now and then. Kuro is so small you probably can't even tell he's doing the light slaughter hook lol.

It works. However, you need to activate the super as soon as the cr.HP hits otherwise the last kick won't land for the major damage. What you'll want to do is to do the QCB as you begin the cr.HP and then tap the 3x Kicks immediately when it hits. That'll land it for you. It can be a little tricky to get at first but you'll be get in pretty quickly. I usually even do a HCB even though it's a QCB just to get me into the timing.

Cool. Got it with the HCB movement, it's very consistent

Shouta

Cool. Got it with the HCB movement, it's very consistent

Nice! Big easy damage for Law.

I use cr.mp or cr.mk into Fist Fury Rush into cr.hp for most of my damage aside from anti-air and random jabs/hits. You can end it a few different ways if you want.

Flip Kicks after cr.hp knocks your opponent into the air for a bit eating a little bit of time if you're trying to wind it down. It has the lowest damage though 292 with the above combo and doesn't give you a full bar of meter.

If you do Shaolin Spin Kicks after the cr.hp, it does 302 damage and gives you a full bar from zero.

If you do the Dragon Charge into Knuckle then Flying Kick after the cr.Hp it does the most damage at 331, it gives you about the same as the Flip Kicks, almost a full bar but not there. However, it can be dropped if you accidently press the button too fast as the kick requires a bit of timing.

I usually do flips or shaolin because I'd rather get the guaranteed damage as opposed to accidently dropping shit.

mr. puppy

Banned

no i agree, i can't get it either. why law second? i do law/ken and have no real problems with it.

Nice! Big easy damage for Law.

I use cr.mp or cr.mk into Fist Fury Rush into cr.hp for most of my damage aside from anti-air and random jabs/hits. You can end it a few different ways if you want.

Flip Kicks after cr.hp knocks your opponent into the air for a bit eating a little bit of time if you're trying to wind it down. It has the lowest damage though 292 with the above combo and doesn't give you a full bar of meter.

If you do Shaolin Spin Kicks after the cr.hp, it does 302 damage and gives you a full bar from zero.

If you do the Dragon Charge into Knuckle then Flying Kick after the cr.Hp it does the most damage at 331, it gives you about the same as the Flip Kicks, almost a full bar but not there. However, it can be dropped if you accidently press the button too fast as the kick requires a bit of timing.

I usually do flips or shaolin because I'd rather get the guaranteed damage as opposed to accidently dropping shit.

All good advice! I went back and tried the super and just as worldrevolution said, it doesn't work on Hugo. He gets thrown further by the start up kicks despite the fact that it makes no physical sense why the heaviest dude would be flung so easily.

Assuming you're not fighting Hugo, Law's max damage jump in is absolutely delicious. JHK -> sHK -> cr MP -> MP Fury Fist Rush -> cr HP -> SA does 570 damage, or 545 with a JMK

no i agree, i can't get it either. why law second? i do law/ken and have no real problems with it.

My intention was to have a zoner and a rushdown character. So I've got Chun Li in the front as a way to set the pace of the match and then I bring Law in with a launcher or a switch cancel from lightning legs.

Still figuring things out though. I'm not sure about their synergy yet, but I've got a couple of pretty damaging exchanges already.

I was about to complain about how the time out complaints were unfounded because I got blown up by players who effectively used the Tekken characters and the tag canceling mechanic and killed me in two combos, but then I played several matches where people gained a tiny life lead, and ran around the whole stage throwing out stuff at random to try to keep me at bay, and succeeding at doing so.

This game is the worst of both worlds.

Shouta

All good advice! I went back and tried the super and just as worldrevolution said, it doesn't work on Hugo. He gets thrown further by the start up kicks despite the fact that it makes no physical sense why the heaviest dude would be flung so easily.

Assuming you're not fighting Hugo, Law's max damage jump in is absolutely delicious. JHK -> sHK -> cr MP -> MP Fury Fist Rush -> cr HP -> SA does 570 damage, or 545 with a JMK

Well hot damn, I never noticed that. I almost always have 3 bars when I switch in Law so I just do the Cross Assault for the additional 80 damage (at least with Kuma).

On another note, I'm not feeling Bob yet. Too many inputs and I hate links as combo starters because I can't get them down consistently. I may warm up to him after figuring out some of his stuff though. Sagat is braindead easy for the most part so I may play Bob Sagat for jokes. =P On the flipside, Xiaoyu is too much shit none of it seems to connect simply so ergh.

Balrog feels way2damn weird in this game. I can do his trials in SF4 with my eyes closed and using my feet.

I can't even get a lp after an ex upper now :(

Top Bottom