• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

DR2K

Banned
Character changes will address some of that. Plus if you're hitting your big damage combos when it's being played in neutral, then they have to come to you instead.

But nothing directly adresses it universally which is weird, is Capcom not aware of it?

Shouta

As far as I can see the changes are mostly negligible and it's essentially the same game. This game needs a heck of a lot more than just the usual roster balance patch. I wonder if Capcom will bother with a SFxT2.

You're probably not seeing it within the context of how the game can be played and how these changes will push the game in that direction.

Meter changes across the board is one of the biggest aspects as I've mentioned several times already. Alpha/Guard Cancels are going to be used much less now and you can't get free hits off them any more because meter will be much more precious as resource. Switch Combos will be affected as well because you won't have the meter to jump in and out like now. That means a time-wasting element and momentum stopping defensive element that was ridiculously strong won't be as buff anymore.

Rolls will be punishable now so if you get the correct read on wake-up, you'll get big damage as a result. Combined with the above meter things, a bit of Vortex can show up if you're able to guess if they roll or not.

Health recover speed going down means you'll have less bar to work with overall in the match and getting hammered hard will be much more effective in finishing matches quicker as well.

Then there's stuff on the individual character front. Infiltration and Seth's match last night is the perfect example of the kind of things that are partially a problem right now especially with Rolento. Infil used the attacks and boost chains plus running away with the knives and anti-air to keep Seth out. When Seth got in, he'd Alpha Counter to shrug off the pressure. His switch combos did very little damage most of the time but ate up a lot of time as a result.

If you look at Rolento's patch notes, you can see that the dev team agreed with this.

• Vitality - Reduced from 1000 to 930
* Far LP - Hitbox reduced
- Hurtbox reduced
• Far MK - 6 frames added to Boost combo (on hit -8, on block -12) / Push back on block for boost combos reduced
• Far HP - 6 frames added to Boost combo (on hit -15, on block -19) / Push back on block for boost combos reduced
• Far HK - 10 frames added to Boost combo (on hit -13, on block -17) / Push back on block for boost combos reduced
• cr. MP - 5 frames added to Boost combo (on hit -3, on block -8) / Push back on block for boost combos reduced
• cr. MK - 5 frames added to Boost combo (on hit -9, on block -13) / Push back on block for boost combos reduced
• cr. HP - 10 frames added to Boost combo (on hit -13, on block -17) / Push back on block for boost combos reduced
• Jump MK - Hitbox reduced
• Patriot Circle - First attack frames increased by 4 (on hit, -1, on block -5)
• Stinger - Hitbox increased
- Push back on block reduced
Special move meter gain
• Stinger (jump): whiff 15->5
• Stinger (knife): whiff 15->5, on hit 40->15
• Mekong Delta Attack (attack): whiff 15->10, on hit 40->30
• Mekong Delta Air Raid (attack): whiff 15->10, on hit 40->30
• Mekong Delta Escape (jump): whiff 10->5
• Patriot Circle 1st attack: whiff 10->0, on hit 6 x 4(24)->8 x 4(32)
• Patriot Circle 2nd attack: on hit 6 x 4(24)->5 x 4(20)
• Patriot Circle 3rd attack: on hit 6 x 3(18)->8 x 3(24)

Far LP hitbox nerf goes with the frame nerf it got earlier (or did it? I can't recall) preventing Rolento from simply keeping out out by poking you. He still can but it'll be at much more dangerous distance for him.

His boost combos now have more frames and don't push back as much as well. Infiltration used this a lot yesterday to push folks back and with that gone, it's much more difficult for Rolento to keep people out. If someone blocks Rolento's boost combo in 2013, it's going to be a lot more painful, probably.

Rolento meter gain is much worse now as well for keeping away because whiffs don't give you as much. You'll have to hit folks to gain solid amounts of meter but that also means you're putting yourself in a position to get damaged.

My analysis isn't really good but it should give you an idea of what's going to happen. Once you get into the game, a lot of the changes make more sense. Like damage isn't low in this game, far from it. It's just the easiest hits to land lead to combos which then result in very low damage. That's fine but the game needs to reward being a bit riskier and or making good calls and that's what they're trying to aim for.

But nothing directly adresses it universally which is weird, is Capcom not aware of it?

Because you really can't address it universally? Most of the issues come from individual character points. They're making some sweeping changes overall but it's still based on the character and not the system the game is running on itself.

DR2K

Banned
Because you really can't address it universally? Most of the issues come from individual character points. They're making some sweeping changes overall but it's still based on the character and not the system the game is running on itself.

Unless you character can teleport in 1 frame then running away will be just as viable. Stages are too big and characters are not mobile enough.

What exactly are you going to do if I decide to stop the match and hold upback with a major health lead with 20 seconds remaining?

They could have made all the levels smaller, removed defense/health gems(all gems really), readjusted damage scaling, made pandora relevant like Xfactor or ultra.

Horseress

Unless you character can teleport in 1 frame then running away will be just as viable. Stages are too big and characters are not mobile enough.

What exactly are you going to do if I decide to stop the match and hold upback with a major health lead with 20 seconds remaining?

They could have made all the levels smaller, removed defense/health gems(all gems really), readjusted damage scaling, made pandora relevant like Xfactor or ultra.

Upback is not invincible ^^ A good player can catch some random dude running away like crazy

Shouta

Run in and blow them up? A lot of characters move pretty fast and you there aren't many in the game that can zone as hard and it's been kind nerfed in general. I don't really think that the stages are all that big anyway if you're using most of it.

Gems are fine though some defense and the health ones are getting adjusted down. Everything else works to speed up the game though.

Damage is good in the game for everything that doesn't hit confirm with a boost combo or series of LP. Boost combos are getting nerfed quite a bit and the scaling isn't changing. So more chances to start the big stuff with mediums or heavies. A lot of Tekken characters can break 400-500 damage given the chance to punish or properly hit a poke or punish with a jump-in so it isn't damage it's the play style. If they changed the scaling so LPx3 Boost combo stuff did good damage, the Tekken characters would pretty much blow a SF character the minute they got touched, lol.

Jonogunn

PC version:
- still on 1.02 patch
- no dlc characters?
- less players and harder to find games

Aren't the console versions only 20 now?

shaowebb

PC version:
- still on 1.02 patch
- no dlc characters?
- less players and harder to find games

Aren't the console versions only 20 now?

What patch are the console versions on? I mean I dont own a PS3 so I know Im ripped on this anyway on any other version in terms of content, but for that price I can just dork around in it for kicks. I would like to know how big a difference there is in the players though between versions. That and if there was ever an unpacker setup for PC modders to customize things like with PC SF4. Whats the current console patch and maybe I can compare notes.

Jonogunn

What patch are the console versions on? I mean I dont own a PS3 so I know Im ripped on this anyway on any other version in terms of content, but for that price I can just dork around in it for kicks. I would like to know how big a difference there is in the players though between versions. That and if there was ever an unpacker setup for PC modders to customize things like with PC SF4. Whats the current console patch and maybe I can compare notes.

1.07 is the console. Hopefully pc gets the 2013 patch at the same time as consoles but I won't be surprised if it doesn't.

No dlc characters yet sucks too.

shaowebb

1.07 is the console. Hopefully pc gets the 2013 patch at the same time as consoles but I won't be surprised if it doesn't.

No dlc characters yet sucks too.

Especially since all the DLC went on sale for Steam too.

$12.49 SF x Tekken game PC

$3.24 Street Fighter Swap Costume complete pack
$3.24 Tekken Swap Costume complete pack
$2.99 Shared assist gem pack 1
$2.99 Shared assist gem pack 2
$0.99 Street Fighter boost gem pack 1
$0.99 Street Fighter boost gem pack 2
$0.99 Tekken boost gem pack 1
$0.99 Tekken boost gem pack 2

$29-ish total for all of it. I really would have loved to have seen the Extra characters available for this sale. 75% off on that too would have been awesome. $5 for all of them? YES.

Chairhome

Especially since all the DLC went on sale for Steam too.

$12.49 SF x Tekken game PC

$3.24 Street Fighter Swap Costume complete pack
$3.24 Tekken Swap Costume complete pack
$2.99 Shared assist gem pack 1
$2.99 Shared assist gem pack 2
$0.99 Street Fighter boost gem pack 1
$0.99 Street Fighter boost gem pack 2
$0.99 Tekken boost gem pack 1
$0.99 Tekken boost gem pack 2

$29-ish total for all of it. I really would have loved to have seen the Extra characters available for this sale. 75% off on that too would have been awesome. $5 for all of them? YES.

I've only dabbled in SFxT when it first came out, should I get the gem packs, too? Should I even get this game? Haha.

Jonogunn

I think the 20%+ when doing a super is worth the purchase. I usually use the 10%+ damage gem when doing a launcher with it. Boost combo your guy in, do super, that's +30% damage.

Skilletor

The benchmark on this game is screwy for me. I should be able to run it at its highest settings, but changing the resolution and AA settings doesn't do anything for performance. Benchmark always marks it at 59-60fps.

Also, one game it was running at 30fps after I played a bit and then changed characters. :/

Doesn't have all of the cool graphic settings SF4 does, either.

iavi

Any idea how to get past this black screen of death? (PC) I'm on windows 8 and everytime I launch the game from Steam it hangs at a blank, black screen.

C2D/8600GT

shaowebb

You may have to check shoryuken on that one or possibly steam support. Im at a loss. If I get a black screen though on WIndows 7 its usually due to a firewall popup I need to click, but cannot see due to the game window being up blocking it. I hit the windows key or ctrl alt del to go back to steam in those cases and then just close the task manager without shutting down my game and click zone alarm (or whatever) to tell it yes let the game do its thing. After that I go back in and it finishes loading.

Try it without your firewall once and see if it finishes setting up. Lots of games on steam get picked up as keyloggers or something and this one uses windows live gaming so its gonna try to communicate and install and stuff. It may be something simple. If not you are gonna need some deeper advice than what I can offer.

Good luck.

iavi

You may have to check shoryuken on that one or possibly steam support. Im at a loss. If I get a black screen though on WIndows 7 its usually due to a firewall popup I need to click, but cannot see due to the game window being up blocking it. I hit the windows key or ctrl alt del to go back to steam in those cases and then just close the task manager without shutting down my game and click zone alarm (or whatever) to tell it yes let the game do its thing. After that I go back in and it finishes loading.

Try it without your firewall once and see if it finishes setting up. Lots of games on steam get picked up as keyloggers or something and this one uses windows live gaming so its gonna try to communicate and install and stuff. It may be something simple. If not you are gonna need some deeper advice than what I can offer.

Good luck.

Checking Shoryuken did the trick! thanks for that tip. It was indeed an error with GFWL, missing some dll. What a horribly executed service GFWL is. If it doesn't just barely work, it's nothing but problems.

K.Sabot

So yeah I just got this for PC because it was cheap. Not cheap enough though.

First match online and it was the definition of pure horror. The other guy teleporting around the screen as the screen itself tears more than I've ever seen a game tear before.

SUPARSTARX

Sorry I don't quite understand what u mean

THere's gems that are exclusively free on faction that doesn't need to be paid for. That one specifically goes to Tekken cast free first then paid for SF cast. Just throwing it out there inn case people thought some of the gems are only usable if you threw out the dollars. :(

I love the game but I don't support paying for DLC gems.

Chairhome

The benchmark on this game is screwy for me. I should be able to run it at its highest settings, but changing the resolution and AA settings doesn't do anything for performance. Benchmark always marks it at 59-60fps.

Also, one game it was running at 30fps after I played a bit and then changed characters. :/

Doesn't have all of the cool graphic settings SF4 does, either.

That means you need to turn v sync off. 60fps is max with vsync

Skilletor

Looking at this right now. So what's the word? Any of you guys that just bought it having any issues finding matches online? Is it even worth bothering?

I read on srk that the 1.06 patch (the one with the dlc characters) is on torrent sites for pirates. A poster there said that it's usually a week or two after the patch has leaked that it's out for download legitimately.

SUPARSTARX

The patch data is already completed and online at Xbox.com. The patch itself just needs to go live to activate it. It's worth getting it right now for this price IMHO.

Aaron

Playing SSF4AE and this back to back on the PC, and I'm finding it really hard to like SFxT. There are a lot of little things that just feel wrong, and most of the Tekken characters feel weak as hell. While against Rolento everything just dies.

shaowebb

I'll admit I bough this just to play Poison and Hugo. I don't really intend to take it seriously. If the dlc cast goes up on sale on steam I may get it if its cheap enough so that I can play a game with Elena again as well. Ive yet to be convinced its worth digging deep on. Maybe 2013 will change all that or something though.

SUPARSTARX

Very well then. I just hope there's a PC community to speak of.
There's still people online with the current version in the U.S. Patches always bring people back.

Playing SSF4AE and this back to back on the PC, and I'm finding it really hard to like SFxT. There are a lot of little things that just feel wrong, and most of the Tekken characters feel weak as hell. While against Rolento everything just dies.
Takes a bit of getting used to. There's more going on during the match in SFxT than SF4 when you're playing IMO.

Tekken has a very strong design in here and it fits the Street Fighter universe. A lot of them lack anti-airs but you can make it up with rolling out or alpha counter properly (but this uses meter).

Aaron

I like switching fighters in mid-combo, but the Tekken characters mostly feel too slow. I keep getting caught in a move, and command throws feel like they can get you from the other side of the screen. I don't hate it though. And I'll play more of it. Hopefully, they'll finally add in the DLC characters.

shaowebb

I like switching fighters in mid-combo, but the Tekken characters mostly feel too slow. I keep getting caught in a move, and command throws feel like they can get you from the other side of the screen. I don't hate it though. And I'll play more of it. Hopefully, they'll finally add in the DLC characters.

This really. I really enjoy this tag combo mechanic and I get most of my fun just messing around popping shots off with Poison and then doing some small combo and taggin in Hugo in the middle of it to finish it off with his damage. I really like the ways you can tag in this game and if offense gets a huge buff so that folks die easier against the clock once caught I'll be happy with the game in 2013 version. Combos are just fun in this game. I'll mess around and casual it up on PC I guess unless something takes hold for me in the patch. I still consider my only serious fighter right now KoF 13 but hey fun is fun and for $12 I'll probably have some fun just playing with tag combos.

I haven't messed around with Tekken yet. Just Hugo/Poison like when I had rented it before. I used to play Lei Wulong, Eddy/Christie, Steve Fox, King and Dragonov back during my casual stints with Tekken. I've never dug deep into that series really. Sad to hear AA sucks for them. Do they get armor on moves a lot to deal with projectiles or anything from SF cast? In general it just seems like they sound lacking.

SUPARSTARX

Yeah, the Tekken characters have slower walk speeds. Most of them have good dashing if their zone game isn't high.

The best is seeing Heihachi, with slow ass walk speed, equipped with 3 speed gems jumping/BUNNY HOPPING across the stage and safe jumping everything in his path with that crazy good jump roundhouse hit box.

I haven't messed around with Tekken yet. Just Hugo/Poison like when I had rented it before. I used to play Lei Wulong, Eddy/Christie, Steve Fox, King and Dragonov back during my casual stints with Tekken. I've never dug deep into that series really. Sad to hear AA sucks for them. Do they get armor on moves a lot to deal with projectiles or anything from SF cast? In general it just seems like they sound lacking.
for tekken characters, quite a few of them don't have good anti-airs, but not all. i think king's anti-air options are pretty decent. lili has one of the beter anti-airs in the game, sf or tekken side. to answer your question about fireballs, many do have special moves that go through them. king has his jaguar step for instance (it's actually full invincible, so it goes through everything else as well), or he has his shoulder tackle which has armour.

quite a few tekken characters are lacking in certain regards, but i think most can work. if we compensate the areas they lack in through smart gem selection, we can look at sethlololol's team as an example. he loads up on meter gems, this way can he can more readily use ex moves as proper anti-airs/reversals/etc or just in general for better pokes. if we compensate the areas they lack in through smart team composition, we can look at tatsu's team as an example. he lets vega play the neutral game, where he'll then hit confirm switch cancel/boost combo into xiaoyu, where she does her wall carry combo and anti-roll tech. she's then in a position where she works best with the corner pressure.

i think we've seen quite a lot of tekken charas in high level play (i.e kazuya, julia, jack, jin, etc). honestly, i think we'd see more if the community wasn't so capcom biased. of course justin wong is gonna use rufus (although, perhaps that isn't the best example since he's actually pretty decent in tekken), and of course dieminion is going to use guile. i think most of the tekken cast is still viable, but people are just unfamiliar and don't really want to put in work. i mean ryan hunter seems to be making steve work okay. yoshi was considered terrible day 1, but now people have come around to thinking he's not as bad as people say he is.

also, what happened with raven? personally, i never cared much for the character, but i know he was often likened to rolento in terms of his cheapness. it seems like all the raven players just stopped playing. then again, there actually aren't a whole lot of rolento players anymore either. the hugos and hwoarangs also seemed to drop off compared to day 1.

shaowebb

for tekken characters, quite a few of them don't have good anti-airs, but not all. i think king's anti-air options are pretty decent. lili has one of the beter anti-airs in the game, sf or tekken side. to answer your question about fireballs, many do have special moves that go through them. king has his jaguar step for instance (it's actually full invincible, so it goes through everything else as well), or he has his shoulder tackle which has armour.

quite a few tekken characters are lacking in certain regards, but i think most can work. if we compensate the areas they lack in through smart gem selection, we can look at sethlololol's team as an example. he loads up on meter gems, this way can he can more readily use ex moves as proper anti-airs/reversals/etc or just in general for better pokes. if we compensate the areas they lack in through smart team composition, we can look at tatsu's team as an example. he lets vega play the neutral game, where he'll then hit confirm switch cancel/boost combo into xiaoyu, where she does her wall carry combo and anti-roll tech. she's then in a position where she works best with the corner pressure.

i think we've seen quite a lot of tekken charas in high level play (i.e kazuya, julia, jack, jin, etc). honestly, i think we'd see more if the community wasn't so capcom biased. of course justin wong is gonna use rufus (although, perhaps that isn't the best example since he's actually pretty decent in tekken), and of course dieminion is going to use guile. i think most of the tekken cast is still viable, but people are just unfamiliar and don't really want to put in work. i mean ryan hunter seems to be making steve work okay. yoshi was considered terrible day 1, but now people have come around to thinking he's not as bad as people say he is.

also, what happened with raven? personally, i never cared much for the character, but i know he was often likened to rolento in terms of his cheapness. it seems like all the raven players just stopped playing. then again, there actually aren't a whole lot of rolento players anymore either. the hugos and hwoarangs also seemed to drop off compared to day 1.

Thanks for all of this. Here's hoping I see more than time outs online then, but considering I have a good keep away in Poison and Hugo is Captain lifelead I doubt it'll stop entirely from my side. Still tag combos are fun enough that I think I'll enjoy my $12 worth. Still don't know if I'll ever get locked in super addicted, but hey I sat on my copy of KoF13 for a year before realizing I should have been playing it over everything else so stranger things could happen.

At least on PC I know eventually the DLC cast will go on sale :D

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Question for the PC players of this or SF4: Can a low frame rate/bad performance on my PC cause lag for other players? My Internet connection isn't amazing by today's standards but it shouldn't be causing any lag issues.

My framerate isn't a constant 60FPS or anything (I got an A on the benchmark though) so I'm wondering if a decease in performance on my PC causes lag for others.

vocab

Yes some what. You should use fixed framerate.

“smooth” framerate, “variable” framerate or “fixed” framerate. Smooth will attempt to playback all frames but potentially at the expense of a consistent or high framerate. This is similar to how SFIV handled it. Fixed will drop frames to keep the gameplay speed and inputs consistent. Variable is a hybrid of the two modes that will sometimes drop frames where absolutely necessary to maintain the gameplay.

I have vsync on with fixed framerate. It's weird that you have an A but can't maintain 60fps. If you have less than 60 fps stable you should try vsync off with fixed framerate to see if there's a difference in quality.

Moaradin

I bought this on sale during the steam sale, and even then I kinda regret it. No DLC characters, way behind on updates, and the online is total shit. Every game I played had terrible rollbacks and that was with all local players. The PC port is complete shit too. Even SSF4:AE was a better port.

No DLC really sucks though. None of my characters from AE are in this game (Sakura, Makoto, Cody) without the DLC.

Nyoro SF

I bought this on sale during the steam sale, and even then I kinda regret it. No DLC characters, way behind on updates, and the online is total shit. Every game I played had terrible rollbacks and that was with all local players. The PC port is complete shit too. Even SSF4:AE was a better port.

No DLC really sucks though. None of my characters from AE are in this game (Sakura, Makoto, Cody) without the DLC.

People who buy in spite of obvious warnings don't really get sympathy though.

Westlo

Makoto's not in period

I knew the game didn't have the DLC on PC. It was $10 so I thought it might be worth that low price. What I didn't know is that it had absolutely abysmal online play.
It's why there are so many complaints over at the Ask Capcom Forums about the PC version of this game. The shit and late patch updates were already bad enough but the faulty online (there's always teleporting issues for one player) is complete bullshit, especially when they supposedly know what the issue is (rollbacks and multiple PC configs). I'm quite pissed that I bought this at release (~£30) only to see it have multiple sales when in the meantime I don't get to play it because it's shit out of date coupled with the shit online. I've made a few posts about this previously (1,2,3) and you can see that we were supposed to expect 1.06 back in October.

The funny thing is that according to an Ask Capcom post, MS Live team is going to be on Christmas break from Monday so it seems we're definitely not getting 1.06 this side of 2013. And Sven is very non-committal that we'll be getting PC 2013 before July.

So in the meantime: Fuck Capcom, Sven and Derek; not buying any new Capcom fighting games for the next 10 years.

shaowebb

Wow...I think if anything could sour a relationship between two companies its this game then. First the horrible sexual harassment stuff with Cross Assault, then announcing 12 characters would be pay only before launch to create pre-order cancellations, the constant issues people had with the idea of gems, people not liking pandora, the exclusives for PS3 trolling every other system owner who got nothing, BBA Mega Man trolling that crowd to stir the pot, then the launch with the glitches, the patch that caused more glitches, the time issues, the hackers playing the exclusives early stirring up the whole on disc dlc anger, the long setups and other things causing streams to lose traffic because the game comes across unexciting, the Tekken side of the cast being underpowered from what folks have said, and PC being pretty much a wasteland.

At this point why would Namco want to invest in making a game of their own for this series? They could probably do better, but the title itself seems to be swimming with bad reputation at every turn. Would it be better at this point to just plain ask out of the contract? Its sounding like a business risk to invest in this series from a producer standpoint.

bs000

Checking Shoryuken did the trick! thanks for that tip. It was indeed an error with GFWL, missing some dll. What a horribly executed service GFWL is. If it doesn't just barely work, it's nothing but problems.

I had the same problem. If it's the .dll from this thread, that thing just disables GFWL. That means you won't be able to play online.

What I did to fix it was uninstall SFxT, download and install the GFWL client, and then re-install SFxT.

shaowebb

Is this game worth it at $17?

I'm not much for Street Fighter but I love Tekken and the style in this game.

The Tekken side feels kind of meh to me so far, but I picked it up for $12 on steam so I'm not even playing the latest patched version the console guys got. I picked it up at that price because Hugo/Poison is at least worth that much to me. However, all I see are timeouts and gems can make for some ridiculous stuff so far. Damage increase on Hugo is hilarious.

Top Bottom