• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

I'm so jealous of how everyone on the East coast and SoCal seems to get the game early. I don't know of anywhere in the Bay Area that'll break the street date. So I've got to play the waiting game. Unless anybody would be kind enough to pick up an extra PS3 copy and ship it to me (I can Paypal the cost + extra for shipping and your time).

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
What I've learned from this thread: Moving to CA or NYC would be a good idea for getting your fighting games early. AZ stores show me no love. :(

remist

Fighting games are about the only genre I haven't delved into. I'm thinking of going all in and getting an arcade stick and this game.

How much dedication does it take to become an average player in these types of games? Am I going to have to spend endless hours in a training room before I go online?

Also, any other complete fighting game novices getting this game?

Hellix

Fighting games are about the only genre I haven't delved into. I'm thinking of going all in and getting an arcade stick and this game.

How much dedication does it take to become an average player in these types of games? Am I going to have to spend endless hours in a training room before I go online?

Not really a fighting game novice in general, but Tekken is my go-to fighting game. I am not that in-depth with these 2D fighting games like Street Fighter, so I am still on the fence if I should even get this. I know they changed a few things to make it have a little Tekken-feel, but I just don't know. I tried getting into SSFIVAE a bit, and it felt so foreign to me. Maybe I should wait for Tekken X Street Fighter but getting close to release is really hard to ignore this game.

Just be sure to go through your chosen character's movelist. Run through them in training mode and notice what kinds of things happen with every move. Know what options you have and then play against the cpu a bit. Play online and expect to lose, and instead of raging, just make a note of why you thought you lost and how you can improve on it.

oroboros

You don't need to spend endless time in training mode to get average, but you have to hit training mode at least some if you want to improve at all above button mashing. But if you focus on learning specific things while training it wont take very long to get a basic understanding and start winning some games online. Whatever you do though, you're going to run across a lot of players who have played fighting game for years and you're going to get blown up if you don't train and have solid fundamentals. Unless you just play with other new, bad players, but if you do that for long you will never learn and improve either.

Not really a fighting game novice in general, but Tekken is my go-to fighting game. I am not that in-depth with these 2D fighting games like Street Fighter, so I am still on the fence if I should even get this. I know they changed a few things to make it have a little Tekken-feel, but I just don't know. I tried getting into SSFIVAE a bit, and it felt so foreign to me. Maybe I should wait for Tekken X Street Fighter but getting close to release is really hard to ignore this game.

See if you can rent it or if any of your friends pick it up, give it a try.
You might like it!

B3il

You do need to make an effort if you want to go beyond just pounding random buttons. That means learning the systems, understanding the game's physics, rules and restrictions, memorising moves and sequences, understanding strategies and tactics - it's certainly an investment.

It's hard to say how long precisely, I've been playing fighters for twenty years now, sitting down to SFxT for the first time is going to be very different for me, compared to you.

Like ^^^ these guys say, be prepared to lose a lot, but be sure to take from each loss. In a well-made fighting game, every single second is in your hands, everything that happens happens because of the players, so be aware of what happens and learn from it. It's not like a wrestling game where it's all completely random and arbitrary.

When I was learning to play as Q in Third Strike, I literally had a .txt file open on my desktop and fought this guy who used him, over and over, and I'd make notes of things he did; moves he strung together, setups that fooled me, moves he used, moves he didn't -- and it helped. I built a playstyle out of the ashes of my defeat.

It's how it works. There's always going to be people better than you, how you use this fact makes all the difference in the world.

I personally would hesitate in getting an arcade stick if you've never used one before and you're not sure if you are even into the genre that much. A decent model is not cheap and there is a definite learning curve in getting comfortable with a stick. I don't want to dissuade you from getting one but an arcade stick isn't necessary to enjoy a FG.

A few hours with friends or online and you should be in a good spot to enjoy yourself and understand the game's mechanics. You don't need pro levels of execution to enjoy any FGC, just have fun with it.

I see a lot of new people wanting to get into the game and genre, my advice if you want to jump in is to do it, right now is the best time to learn the game because everyone is learning and there will be tons of new people, especially people who never played 2d fighters and are trying the game out because of tekken characters.

I personally would hesitate in getting an arcade stick if you've never used one before and you're not sure if you are even into the genre that much. A decent model is not cheap and there is a definite learning curve in getting comfortable with a stick. I don't want to dissuade you from getting one but an arcade stick isn't necessary to enjoy a FG.

A few hours with friends or online and you should be in a good spot to enjoy yourself and understand the game's mechanics. You don't need pro levels of execution to enjoy any FGC, just have fun with it.

True about the arcade stick part, but why not just learn on the stick in the first place so you don't have to take steps back when you do eventually want to move to a stick?

True about the arcade stick part, but why not just learn on the stick in the first place so you don't have to take steps back when you do eventually want to move to a stick?

I agree, plus you can find those WWE brawl sticks for 30$ at some places, not the best stick but it will not break your wallet if you just want to try it.

Hellix

My attempt at learning to play with an arcade stick may have been disingenuous, since the stick I was practicing on was the one that came with the Tekken 6 CE. But man, I felt like a new player to the game with a stick. I was whiffing on everything and I would jump in the air when I didn't want to. Maybe I need to try it again with a better stick or have some more patience with it. It does suck basically relearning everything.

My attempt at learning to play with an arcade stick may have been disingenuous, since the stick I was practicing on was the one that came with the Tekken 6 CE. But man, I felt like a new player to the game with a stick. I was whiffing on everything and I would jump in the air when I didn't want to. Maybe I need to try it again with a better stick or have some more patience with it. It does suck basically relearning everything.

Relearning is definitely a pain to go through. I think it's worth it in the end because you end up with lower executional barriers. If you train up on pad enough, it'll be fine, but in some games that require stuff like hitting []+O (or X+B on a 360 pad), or charge db > df > db > uf, it is a LOT more difficult to do than on a stick.

Also, you end up saving $150 for not buying a stick in the first place lol

EDIT: OH yeah, NO THUMB BLISTERS. Goddamn I remember playing on a DualShock when I was a kid all the time, and my fucking left thumb would be on fire every time I played. Thank god for joysticks.

oroboros

The Tekken 6 wireless stick is actually not that bad. The buttons are god awful, but that doesn't make too much a difference while learning. You really should give the stick more time if you want to learn to play on one. When going from pad to stick it felt awkward as hell for like a week or so, but after getting used to it I would never go back to using a controller.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Crap, Jin has a Zanretsuken motion move? WEIRD. Watching Mark & Max's walkthrough, and he appears pretty unique for a Mishima-bloodline character. Nice to see stuff beyond the fireball :)

Still having trouble playing on stick properly i heard there are some types of input short cuts on fireball commands and srk commands but cant find any....

Still having trouble playing on stick properly i heard there are some types of input short cuts on fireball commands and srk commands but cant find any....

At least in SF4, it will shoot out an srk if you did something like df, d, df, p. It will also pick up some of the most random stuff too... I hate shortcuts with a passion

remist

Thanks for the responses. I'm not sure if I'm going to get a stick now, but if I do is the Real Arcade Pro V3 SA (slightly used) for 100$ a good deal?

Also is this the best game to jump in with or are SSFIVAE and UMVC3 still going to have more people playing?

Hellix

Relearning is definitely a pain to go through. I think it's worth it in the end because you end up with lower executional barriers. If you train up on pad enough, it'll be fine, but in some games that require stuff like hitting []+O (or X+B on a 360 pad), or charge db > df > db > uf, it is a LOT more difficult to do than on a stick.

Also, you end up saving $150 for not buying a stick in the first place lol

EDIT: OH yeah, NO THUMB BLISTERS. Goddamn I remember playing on a DualShock when I was a kid all the time, and my fucking left thumb would be on fire every time I played. Thank god for joysticks.

I haven't played a fighting game for probably half a year now, so I totally forgot about those thumb blisters. Maybe it's worth giving it a try again just to stop that from happening lol

The Tekken 6 wireless stick is actually not that bad. The buttons are god awful, but that doesn't make too much a difference while learning. You really should give the stick more time if you want to learn to play on one. When going from pad to stick it felt awkward as hell for like a week or so, but after getting used to it I would never go back to using a controller.

Yeah, I think I noticed the buttons felt a little cheap. Probably besides the buttons, I think it is just awkward pressing them for a complicated sequence of inputs. Not that I try to use King's chain-grapple a whole lot, but if I were to do something like that it feels a bit uncomfortable when I had to really stretch my fingers any time I had to do 1+3 and another input. I guess I have small hands.

Thanks for the responses. I'm not sure if I'm going to get a stick now, but if I do is the Real Arcade Pro V3 SA (slightly used) for 100$ a good deal?

Also is this the best game to jump in with or are SSFIVAE and UMVC3 still going to have more people playing?

Don't jump in with UMvC3. That game has way too many things going on in it and the skills you need to survive in that game don't necessarily translate well to other games.

SF4 is probably your best bet because you will be able to pick up fundamentals that will transition to other games a lot easier.

Getting a stick made fighting games for me. I actually built a custom stick first just as a fun DIY project, then I was like, "well I better get something to play with this" and picked up SSFIV, even though I'd never played fighters before. Now I'm mad hooked on fighting games, pretty much all that I play anymore. In my opinion fighters and SHMUPS just feel so much better with a stick that it can (if money isn't too tight) be really beneficial to just go ahead and start with one.

When I first got my stick it took me months to get back on the level I was on with the pad. I couldn't do fireballs on the left side, doing rekkas were impossible, ultras were impossible.. But if you stick with it you'll get better with it. I didnt bother trying to learn shortcut motions since It wouldn't help me in the long run

Edit: thinking about it I have no idea what I really input when doing a srk motions lol, so I might be using shortcuts

I may be sounding rude here, but isn't it a good property in learning the game?

It is, but then you move on to a game without them, and all of a sudden you have to unlearn "df df p" and learn "f, d, df p". It makes your coordination sloppy. Shortcuts aren't implemented universally, so one game's shortcuts will be different than another.

I can't count the number of times I did a random dp or some other special because of shortcuts. And guess what, whiffed/blocked dps lose you the game!

If you learned SF4 first, then moved back to SF3 or SF2, you will not be able to throw out those specials consistently.

There's been a lot of good advice so far. I'd say that in general, when looking at fighting games, you always want to look at is a game of options, and a game of reading people. More often than not, one option will beat another, and if you can get a read on what your opponent is doing, then having the right option to beat his will always be in your favor. Something to keep in mind though is that counters come in the form of "Hard" and "Soft." I.E. A Hard counter is person does X, i can counter with Y and hit him for 200 damage. A soft counter would be person does X, I can do Y in response, I won't get any damage off but I put myself in a favorable position where more of my attacks will be advantageous compared to his.

Also when playing ALWAYS ask yourself why. Why did that button he pressed work in that scenario? Why did I get hit with this? Why did I not do this? Always keeping track of what's going on is key to victory, one of the best things to do after a win or loss is to try and recount the last 10 things that happened before the match ended. If you can, it shows that you're actively thinking and participating in the match, as opposed to just doing whatever and pressing buttons.

Anyhows, best of luck, once you get the hang of things fighting games are VERY fun to play :)

If you learned SF4 first, then moved back to SF3 or SF2, you will not be able to throw out those specials consistently.

Thankfully, he probably won't ever have to do that.

It is, but then you move on to a game without them, and all of a sudden you have to unlearn "df df p" and learn "f, d, df p". It makes your coordination sloppy. Shortcuts aren't implemented universally, so one game's shortcuts will be different than another.

I can't count the number of times I did a random dp or some other special because of shortcuts. And guess what, whiffed/blocked dps lose you the game!

Yea you may be right on that one I should go back to third strike thank you for the explanation
3AQmK.gif

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
There's been a lot of good advice so far. I'd say that in general, when looking at fighting games, you always want to look at is a game of options, and a game of reading people. More often than not, one option will beat another, and if you can get a read on what your opponent is doing, then having the right option to beat his will always be in your favor. Something to keep in mind though is that counters come in the form of "Hard" and "Soft." I.E. A Hard counter is person does X, i can counter with Y and hit him for 200 damage. A soft counter would be person does X, I can do Y in response, I won't get any damage off but I put myself in a favorable position where more of my attacks will be advantageous compared to his.

Also when playing ALWAYS ask yourself why. Why did that button he pressed work in that scenario? Why did I get hit with this? Why did I not do this? Always keeping track of what's going on is key to victory, one of the best things to do after a win or loss is to try and recount the last 10 things that happened before the match ended. If you can, it shows that you're actively thinking and participating in the match, as opposed to just doing whatever and pressing buttons.
Farm with the knowledge bomb

Top Bottom