• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken v.2013 |OT| More alive than ever!

SUPARSTARX

Crunching Christie the entire night.

Wow... the mix ups this girl can do... high low cancels into more high lows... hella obnoxious stuff.

Just need to figure out her good combos and proper frame data to trap people into this high low situations. There are some silly hard links she has been left with in this game.

SUPARSTARX

Definitely seems like if she stays in on you, it's just a matter of time before you're hit

It's possible to block them all if you know it but some will require good reads. I don't know how the moves are on block yet because I have yet to test them but her c.LP~MK string cancels into specials that can start with low and go into high or you can go into stance and overhead them. The rest of the strings from c.LP~MK goes back into c.HK low (no knockdown) and then mid or a new high (LK) so yeahhhhhh! Mind fucked if you fight Christie and not know her moves. It's not gonna be easy to learn her on the fly.

SUPARSTARX

Don't buy this game. If you have to get this game borrow it from a friend or get it used.
ibnAExsgPRy4s7.gif

Tizoc

This is probably not a Steam key, so you'll have to buy the character dlc off microsofts store. Just a warning for some.

Was gonna ask if it comes with a Steam key, but if it doesn't I'll wait to see if gamersgate'll have it on sale.

SykoTech

Not bad. Not bad at all. Glad I can finally play with the additional characters and I'm liking the new changes. Launch transition is a lot better now.

Shouta

There aren't too many special law combos. you can get some nice setups that allow you to full charge your super though.

There aren't too many special law combos. you can get some nice setups that allow you to full charge your super though.

Yea, from the HCF Mp, switch on first hit. Unfortunately with Hwoarang and the weird properties of his super, you have to EX charge a super, and the timing is much later.

From that HCF Mp, I came up with a taunt combo, as you have enough time to switch on the first hit, full taunt, then continue the combo.

Not something I bust out often mind you, but definitely fun.

Boosting to Law and doing s.HP, HK Flip, Cr HP, HK flip, HK flip is difficult for me to consistently land on the vita, so I tend to shy away from this. Quite unfortunate as its 279 damage

Booter

I think the combos in this game are a perfect middle-of-the-road between SF4 and Marvel.

In SF4, you can generally never juggle the enemy in the air. You've smacked the other player and they're falling backwards through the air, and you throw out an attack and... it will (generally, NOT always) go through the other player.

In MvC3, you can generally never stop juggling the enemy in the air. You've launched the other player and they're falling backwards through the air, and you throw out an attack and... ten minutes later you're still attacking.

In SxT, you pop em up, see em falling, get in a few hits, maybe a bunch if you're really skilled. Allows for improvisation.

Now, if Capcom would just fix this game up on PC, I'd be in heaven.

Skilletor

I bought this game a second time and the DLC characters.

maybe I'll go buy all the costumes too :p

I bought it on ps3, 360, PC, and Vita.

I don't know why I bought the Vita version. I hate playing 6 button games with 4 face buttons. I just love having awesome ports of fighters on my handhelds. :/

Tizoc

I need some Ogre combos, messed with him a little in training and found a few good damaging ones but I'm sure there are stronger ones that I couldn't think of...

Aske

Picked this up yesterday on a whim to balance out Silent Hill: Downpour in a 2-for-$30 sale. I'd sort of wanted to play both games eventually, but I figured SFvT was the greater gamble. I'd heard the update fixed some problems, but the game has an awful reputation for a great many valid reasons; balance, gems, DLC...super offputting.

I've put in a good few hours now, and am blown away by how fun this is. It feels much more old school than, say, MvC3 or even SF4. Kind of reminds me of the hours I'd while away playing Alpha 3 on Dreamcast. The matches have a great flow, and every character I've used so far seems to click right away. The game has revitalized my (admittedly casual) appreciation for the genre - I'm enjoying it more than any other fighter this gen.

Gems system is beyond stupid, but easy to ignore when playing Arcade or with friends. Haven't felt the need to use the Pandora mechanic at all yet. There's more than enough meat to the standard combat combined with the tag mechanics.

Such a shame the game was released in the state it was, and that Capcom's handling of the DLC is so consumer-unfriendly. Seeing all the fighters I have to pay (more) to play on the character select screen is profoundly annoying; and it's disheartening to see alt costumes completely relegated to paid DLC. And palette-swap colours are free now, but I assume that since I have to download a separate unlock key for every four colours, Capcom were once nickel and diming players on a swatch-by-swatch basis? I wouldn't be cool with any of this if I'd paid $60, and I say that despite having a blast with the patched version of the game.

Do the DLC characters get ending cinematics, etc? I hate the idea of supporting this business model, but I also want to access the whole character roster. Hate seeing all the characters I can't select, although if they didn't exist I'd be extremely happy with the regular roster. Guessing that even if the price doesn't go back up this week they won't drop below $15 any time soon.

Consumer politics aside, on a purely gaming level I'm glad I picked this up. Very pleasant surprise, and I hope more people give it a chance.

Shouta

Tekken characters high low strings are too much. SF characters are absolutely worthless now.

Not at all. It's a lot more unfamiliarity than anything. Most aren't true block strings and you can EX/Alpha Counter them. General footsies are still SF character territory.

Also, PS3 has been quite fine for matches. Today was a bit slow for whatever reason though.

Unblockables are in this game but they are easier to avoid due to rolling.

Though if they ever allow 2v2 then...unblockables all day.

kirblar

Gems system is beyond stupid, but easy to ignore when playing Arcade or with friends. Haven't felt the need to use the Pandora mechanic at all yet. There's more than enough meat to the standard combat combined with the tag mechanics.
Pandora requires you to know the set ups into it- it's an Ultra if done right.

The tournament standard is now the default 5 Gem setups. No need for DLC.

Tizoc

Picked this up yesterday on a whim to balance out Silent Hill: Downpour in a 2-for-$30 sale. I'd sort of wanted to play both games eventually, but I figured SFvT was the greater gamble. I'd heard the update fixed some problems, but the game has an awful reputation for a great many valid reasons; balance, gems, DLC...super offputting.

I've put in a good few hours now, and am blown away by how fun this is. It feels much more old school than, say, MvC3 or even SF4. Kind of reminds me of the hours I'd while away playing Alpha 3 on Dreamcast. The matches have a great flow, and every character I've used so far seems to click right away. The game has revitalized my (admittedly casual) appreciation for the genre - I'm enjoying it more than any other fighter this gen.

Such a shame the game was released in the state it was, and that Capcom's handling of the DLC is so consumer-unfriendly. Seeing all the fighters I have to pay (more) to play on the character select screen is profoundly annoying; and it's disheartening to see alt costumes completely relegated to paid DLC. And palette-swap colours are free now, but I assume that since I have to download a separate unlock key for every four colours, Capcom were once nickel and diming players on a swatch-by-swatch basis? I wouldn't be cool with any of this if I'd paid $60, and I say that despite having a blast with the patched version of the game.

Do the DLC characters get ending cinematics, etc? I hate the idea of supporting this business model, but I also want to access the whole character roster. Hate seeing all the characters I can't select, although if they didn't exist I'd be extremely happy with the regular roster. Guessing that even if the price doesn't go back up this week they won't drop below $15 any time soon.

Consumer politics aside, on a purely gaming level I'm glad I picked this up. Very pleasant surprise, and I hope more people give it a chance.

Yup DLC characters have ending cutscenes. They also have Trial challenges but they're based on the pre 2013 version.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Anyone that thinks the SF characters suck should try fighting a good

Guy
Juri
Chun
Dudley
Cammy

and so on

Fucking rage inducing.

Half the characters I just typed have 3 frame normals

Beckx

So, reading through this thread convinced me to finally load up the copy that came from the (much regretted purchase of) the 25th Anniversary Collection.

Any tips before I dive in? Are the preset combos useful?

Malajax

Looking to get back into the game, so I bought the character DLC for extra motivation. Is there anywhere besides the Srk wiki that has tips for playing this game?

Looking to go to a few tournaments this year. If I can win 2 matches at Evo, I think I'll be content with myself.

Tizoc

sPEAKIng of Guy, I never knew you could combo into his QCF+MP in the air~

TBH I need to learn more effective combos with Guy, I end up just doing basic simple stuff =/

Not at all. It's a lot more unfamiliarity than anything. Most aren't true block strings and you can EX/Alpha Counter them. General footsies are still SF character territory.

Also, PS3 has been quite fine for matches. Today was a bit slow for whatever reason though.
my new philosophy is when in doubt, mash backdash. at least in low lvl play, people don't look for it yet. for example, heihachi's double palm string, which is what most people spam, leads to mid or low. you can backdash inbetween rendering the high/low mixup irrelevant. for heihachi to catch the backdash, he has to stop the string early and use ex or super.

and its not like the sf cast has things they can get away with. aside from the top charas like dudley and guy who have great offensive tools, characters like vega and bison still have some pretty mean frame traps if you're not familiar. some characters have a harder time punishing any of vega's aerial moves if you're not familiar with them. and sometimes it can feel like dhalsim can raw teleport for free whenever he pleases in online play.

imo the built-in high/low tekken strings are not that good, generally speaking. the tekken strings that are good are the ones that are cancellable, whether it be a special, boost combo, or dash cancel. if it offers both, then thats even better.

Skilletor

I rarely wait on ps3.

Also lol @ calling SF characters worthless. Tekken characters probably seem strong because people aren't used to seeing the strings yet. For the most part, that's why I lose matches.

my new philosophy is when in doubt, mash backdash. at least in low lvl play, people don't look for it yet. for example, heihachi's double palm string, which is what most people spam, leads to mid or low. you can backdash inbetween rendering the high/low mixup irrelevant. for heihachi to catch the backdash, he has to stop the string early and use ex or super.

and its not like the sf cast has things they can get away with. aside from the top charas like dudley and guy who have great offensive tools, characters like vega and bison still have some pretty mean frame traps if you're not familiar. some characters have a harder time punishing any of vega's aerial moves if you're not familiar with them. and sometimes it can feel like dhalsim can raw teleport for free whenever he pleases in online play.

imo the built-in high/low tekken strings are not that good, generally speaking. the tekken strings that are good are the ones that are cancellable, whether it be a special, boost combo, or dash cancel. if it offers both, then thats even better.

you can interrupt any of those mixups heihachi has as opposed to just back dashing.

back dash is definitely a good tool to use, but if you do it too frequently your opponent can freely punish that

I think guy is all about frame traps and mixups on hard knock downs. He's good IMO because he's hard to AA (unless you pick Law). Too many people online rely on his wakeup EX spin and doing unsafe moves on wake up (which is bad)

Don't buy this game. If you have to get this game borrow it from a friend or get it used.

It's not even worth a borrow, i borrowed it from my friend and gave it back in 2 days, I know it's been patched and fixed but no amount of balance can get me to play this PoS again, worst fighter since Mk4...not looking forward to Namco's version, the 2 universe don't mix, oil and water, the better game would have been VF vs Tekken.

Top Bottom