• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Houndi101

After hearing about Affleck singing R. Kellys Gotham City the whole time they were writing and shooting Jersey Girl (I think?) I hope he gets a banger equivalent of Kiss from a rose for his solo flick.

LosDaddie

Banned
So far, the DCEU does feel like its got the fingers of people who want franchise movies and not so much good movies all over it. It'll be interesting when WW comes out, I'd almost take a "It's solid but flawed" wtih no interference even if it just acts as a secondary launching point.

I know all the actors and people involved say "Oh critics are harsh" or whatever but I can't quite believe that Terrio et all would, before the films have come out, talk up the plans and what they're doing and have the movie that's released be what they wanted to be on the big screen. I haven't seen the UE of BvS, probably will next week, so I'll see if its an improvement then

I remember laughing a bit when WB held their huge press conference announcing all their plans for DCEU. So many movies. This was all before BvS even came out. In fact, I believe WB held their press conference before Marvel did their Phase 3 conference.

Definitely putting the cart before the horse on that one. Maybe Marvel made a CU look to lo easy and WB simply thought audiences would eat up whatever they threw out.

And yeah, the BvS UC is a better movie, but still flawed.

Why does everyone say this? I thought she was great in BvS. Mysterious, sexy. She's dope.

Why do people say this? WW was nothing more than a glorified cameo in BvS. A cameo created solely for zingers (Never known a woman like me!) and "wow" moments in the final battle.

aravuus

Definitely has the look.

jakegyllenhaal.jpg

giphy.gif

Gyllenhaal is slowly starting to become one of my favorite actors. Would definitely like to see him do a comic book villain role at some point.

Bleepey

Wow comic books movies are serious business. I was talking to my friend and his buddies and they are hating Nolan for starting Man of Steel and then leaving.

Damn that Nolan lol

Edit:WB should try to get directors how they got Nolan. He was working on small films that were good, it's a risk that payed off once. Maybe they can strike gold twice. And

And of course you know, don't interfere.

That's literally every comic book movie nowadays. Independent and Tv directors are being poached left right and centre.

The Russo's
The Thor movies
Guardians
Flash
Mendes and Skyfall
Wonder Woman
Jon Favreau prior to Iron Man was known for what Swingers?

I remember laughing a bit when WB held their huge press conference announcing all their plans for DCEU. So many movies. This was all before BvS even came out. In fact, I believe WB held their press conference before Marvel did their Phase 3 conference.

There was no press conference at all. They announced most of their current slate at a quarterly results briefing for investors, which is even more telling in hindsight.

tomtom94

That's literally every comic book movie nowadays. Independent and Tv directors are being poached left right and centre.

The Russo's
The Thor movies
Guardians
Flash
Mendes and Skyfall
Wonder Woman
Jon Favreau prior to Iron Man was known for what Swingers?

I think that the principle at work - certainly with phase 3 of the Marvel movies - is that most big Hollywood crew members generally know how to shoot competent action scenes (and if you get in a good team like the Russos they can help), so you can leave the second unit to their own devices and bring in a director with a more left-field approach for the character scenes.

There's a certain irony in the fact that the first film I remember trying this approach was Quantum of Solace...

So if DC is leaving all the character building and motivation stuff on the cutting room floor (first BvS, now SS), the real question is, why is some of the fluff in these films taking priority for the theatrical cut? If you want to make "mature" superhero films, you have to give these characters time to breath.

*Cough* Establishing shot *cough*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom