• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Just got back and really liked the style of the movie but it seemed like a bit of a mess. Oh, and the crocodile guy was jar jar binks level of horrible/racist on my opinion.

That said I loved Jared Leto's joker, Will Smith's character (though I can't remember his name) and Harley Quinn. Every other member of the SS seemed to be varying degrees of silly and/or useless.

Overall it seemed like they were trying to make an Avengers movie with characters that just don't work in that "us against a massive weave of enemies" setting.

I'm curious how you got to the racist part. I mean, he has a couple of good lines but that was about it.

kris.

Banned
He comes across as a bad stereotype to me, from using "axesk" instead of "ask" to his vocal performance and the
wanting BET thing
. My wife mentioned it within 30 seconds of leaving the theater.

him, diablo, and katana seemed like hardcore racial stereotypes at times.

tomtom94

A common theme I'm seeing on my Twitter (which is somewhere between "hardcore social justice" and "liberal") is a number of people upset about various minority portrayals in the film (and in Katana's case, largely being cut out).

Fury451

Banned
Yea. I still don't know why Katana was even in the movie.

Katana is an awesome character in comics and it made sense to give Flag a wingman who's a legit threat in case they tried to turn on him.

She was barely utilitized though so it was a bit hollow

They really wanted the audience to know that Croc is black.

Croc being black isn't anything new, but the way it was handled was pretty lazy and stereotypical. They should've had him watching Judge Judy or something for a humorous contrast to his gruff demeanor.

Dahbomb

Yeah the movie was not only low key kinda racist but also a bit sexist at times. There would be a bigger uproar about this if Will Smith and Amanda Waller weren't in lead roles and pulled off reasonably well.

Just got done from watching it. It's nowhere near as bad as the reviews are saying it is. The third act is..... Yeah, just yeah.

Overall I enjoyed it. It is a regular ass summer movie imo.

The use of pussy/pussies as some kind of punchline was just cringe-bad.

Katana doing this stereotype hard-ass samurai who only speaks Japanese (except she can speak English, too--sooooo) was pretty bad. I generally like that character but she served zero purpose in this movie.

And yeah, Croc was just...I don't know ANYTHING about his character other than he likes BET.

tomtom94

Yeah the movie was not only low key kinda racist but also a bit sexist at times. There would be a bigger uproar about this if Will Smith and Amanda Waller weren't in lead roles and pulled off reasonably well.

Everything I've read about Harley Quinn so far screams that we're going to be getting thinkpieces about her right up until Wonder Woman releases.

Fury451

Banned
And yeah, Croc was just...I don't know ANYTHING about his character other than he likes BET.
He also likes Waller, water, and eating.

I actually thought he was interesting
at the end when he seemed to have bonded with the team and fought well side by side with them, even willing to potentially die planting the bomb- but none of that development was shown explicitly

Basically any character not named Deadshot, Diablo or Harley had little development shown, despite some interesting hints, like Boomerang
showing admiration for Deadshot missing, and coming back at the end

Everything I've read about Harley Quinn so far screams that we're going to be getting thinkpieces about her right up until Wonder Woman releases.

She is not supposed to be a role model because of the implications behind her whole character from her origins in TAS, but she's big in the marketing. Probably why they cut the more troubling abusive aspects of her relationship out which wouldn't have fit anyways but at least make sense

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Uhm...this was about the same quality as any Marvel movie, aside from the Captain America movies. Heck, it even has the same third act style of CGI-fest big baddy with no real motive aside from revenge (although, I don't really know why that is considered a good thing sometimes, but other times considered a bad thing). This is a by-the-formula current era comic-book movie (with great art design) when it comes to it's final act.

This thing is cut, and you can see where things were cut, but it still holds up as a fun comicbook movie, that also does some things differently. Visually, it's very well put together. Undeniably. If you want a good looking film that is funny, you're going to have what you want.

I was very worried they had cut all the joker scenes out, so imagine my surprise when only one shot shown in one of the trailers wasn't in the movie
the grenade one.
Although, I can tell you exactly where that would have taken place in the movie
after Joker crashes, they probably had a scene of him escaping the wreckage and midway city, using the grenade to destroy enchantress' henchmen.
The joker was never supposed to be a big part of the movie, I think he was in it for as long as I would have expected him to be. He is supposed to be a peripheral character to the story, to fill Harely Quinn's part of the story. Leto's joker is a truly crazy one. He's like 10 different characters, and he switches between them constantly. You don't know what kind of person he is. Whereas Heath Ledger's joker gives you 10 different stories about who he is, whilst still acting the same, Leto's character appears to genuinely not know what he is, switching between personalities mid-sentence.

This movie has some great fan service. Did you ever expect you'd see this: http://media.comicbook.com/uploads1/2015/07/4d55a579071020b93ef6a09f94f87a39-142283.jpg in a modern hollywood movie? Because that's exactly what you get, in live action, that very same shot.

Harely Quinn is probably the best part of the movie along with Deadshot and Waller. Margot Robbie is a 10/10 here in this movie. She's HQ as much as Lucy Lawless is Xena, or Christopher Reeve is Superman.
What I didn't like, is that it felt as though more time could have been spent with Harley Quinn and the joker to give us more of what we all came for.
Fucking Rick Flagg has too much screen time
. They could have used his screentime to give us more HQ and Joker. I don't want to get more in to it, but all I'll say is that you're going to be happy with HQ, a lot.

Will Smith is great in this movie. I thought he'd be forced, but he was great. He brought much of the comedy to life and has a few moments more heroic than Batman has had since these new DC universe movies have come a long. Because if you think about it, how many heroic moments did Batman have in BvS? lol

Viola Davis' Waller is too good, at moments, I felt she was too good for this movie.

This was a fun movie. I thought I'd get a disaster, I got a fun movie.
I'd rate this a 7.5 out of 10. If they release a cut with more HQ scenes and more Joker scenes, it would probably go up to 8.5.

kris.

Banned

hell, enchantress is mostly naked for her entire time in the movie and for the last half of it she's doing some weird gyrating dance shit. it's ridiculous.

What did they do exactly?
The biggest thing is
when making demands for their prison conditions, he says "I want BET" and is shown watching a rap video at the end

I think the Jar Jar comparison is a bit much as he's not a borderline minstrel act but yea

Honestly it probably could've been improved by him just saying "I want cable" or something like that, instead of explicitly being like "out of anything else, I want black people television". I dig the idea of "crazy crocodile man" also being a chill dude who watches rap videos but yea. It was odd

His dress and the BET line mainly. There may be more I'm forgetting but there wasn't much on display character wise so those things stand out more

In truth I have no clue where this racist thing is coming from.
The BET line and other aspect felt closer to Croc wanting to be treated as a person and not a monster. You get signs of it elsewhere in his interactions with Flag.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
hell, enchantress is mostly naked for her entire time in the movie and for the last half of it she's doing some weird gyrating dance shit. it's ridiculous.
She's an ancient witch doing some voodoo shit, just like those old B movies from the 80's where the demons are some fucking weirdos.

BlizzKrut

Banned
Back from the movie.

As I expected, it was good, a really fun movie, I do agree that the Introduction sequence is badly composed, felt a bit weird, and IMO
Katana
being in the movie or not wouldn't make a difference.

There were some really cool shots in the movie and Harley Quinn really is I think one of the best parts of the movie, even though Killer Croc didn't get much I still liked his scenes.

The theater laughed at what was supposed to be funny (and so did I) and on the break people were commenting good things about the movie (like Harley) so I guess the general audience also liked this.

Hoping SS2 is a thing in the future, they can still mess around with this property and hopefully get something critics also like.

One of my best friends who has roughly the same tastes in movies that I do just came back from this, and loved it. Had a few friends go see it last night and say that it was more like a 7/10 instead of a 3 or 4/10 movie. I'm starting to think that I might give this a chance after all. But I gotta see BvS first.

BlizzKrut

Banned
The biggest thing is
when making demands for their prison conditions, he says "I want BET" and is shown watching a rap video at the end

I think the Jar Jar comparison is a bit much as he's not a borderline minstrel act but yea

Honestly it probably could've been improved by him just saying "I want cable" or something like that, instead of explicitly being like "out of anything else, I want black people television". I dig the idea of "crazy crocodile man" also being a chill dude who watches rap videos but yea. It was odd

That's funny because in the subtitles in my country, it was actually "I want cable", weird.

In a bit of good news, at least Skwad isn't the worst movie releasing this weekend

JbdMVXx.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom