• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caode

Young Anakin is shit
Jar Jar Is shit
Darth Maul is barely a character
Qui Gon is shit
Nothing worthwhile in this movie happens so it's pretty much just a waste of time.
We're introduced to Anakins birth bullshit.
Wasted time on Anakin's stupid race.
This movie has like 0 redeeming qualities.
At least Attack of the Clones had some interesting stuff going on with the secret clone army and Obi wan vs Jango Fett along with some decent Dooku scenes and Revenge of the Sith's only glaring problem imo is Hayden Christensen and a shitty script.

I think this point right here just sum's up that entire trilogy. Actually, save for Ewan McGregor's Kenobi, there's that - that was one positive, maybe the only one.

I think this point right here just sum's up that entire trilogy. Actually, save for Ewan McGregor's Kenobi, there's that - that was one positive, maybe the only one.
Nah, I do agree about Ewan, one of the best parts of star wars by far. But I think showing how the empire got into power by playing both sides to eliminate the republic was great along with the obi vs Jango fight and watching the republic crumble in RoTS everything else though isn't really worth anyone's time. But it did give us Clone Wars which is everything the prequels shouldve been.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Rick Ross & Skrillex's music video for "Purple Lamborghini"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkqyIoYAXV8

xCaO8JW.png

The Lonely Island got weird

Caode

Nah, I do agree about Ewan, one of the best parts of star wars by far. But I think showing how the empire got into power by playing both sides to eliminate the republic was great along with the obi vs Jango fight and watching the republic crumble in RoTS everything else though isn't really worth anyone's time. But it did give us Clone Wars which is everything the prequels shouldve been.

I think the general idea, and the bones of that story were solid - it's just the poor execution that really fucked that film. Agreed on the Obi-Wan and Jango fight though, it's one of the few decent parts, oh, and that asteroid chase even if only for the sound of the Seismic Charge detonating.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Feels pretty unfair to judge Leto based on
the like... 8 minutes of screen time he gets?

I quite liked him with what little we got to see
Well, I just read the article and it basically comes down to all the jokers cast have been pretty great. So Leto kind of loses out just by being in a movie where the Joker isn't the focus.

Fury451

Banned

I'd be ticked too, it's clear he was supposed to be in way more, and was probably cut so the film didn't suffer the BvS problem of trying to do too much at once, which it still kinda did. The resulting scenes with him are sloppy, incoherent because there's obvious pieces missing, and largely pointless.

Honestly more of him wouldn't have helped, he was corny as hell.

HvySky

Seeing this Sunday morning. I had little to no expectations for BvS and that somehow still disappointed me, so that fact that I'm actually hoping to enjoy this is a bit worrying.

MC Safety

I didn't stick around to watch the credits.

I'm not a big fan of waiting 10 minutes to see 30 seconds of footage that is rarely if ever worth it.

Did I miss an end sequence? Maybe the Joker introducing his minion Gagsworth A. Gagsworthy?

(Gagsworthy is a real thing.)

I didn't stick around to watch the credits.

I'm not a big fan of waiting 10 minutes to see 30 seconds of footage that is rarely if ever worth it.

Did I miss an end sequence? Maybe the Joker introducing his minion Gagsworth A. Gagsworthy?

(Gagsworthy is a real thing.)

DC'S version of Nick Fury showing up at Iron Man's house. Batfleck telling Waller "My friends are coming"

Toa TAK

Banned
Came back from it.

No.

No.

Nononononononono there's no way this is anywhere near as awful as BvS. It's a fun ass movie and the strengths of it don't even come from any of the action sequences. Just having these characters have a dialogue with each other and giving (some of) them exploration was what makes it all entertaining.

Cast was good, even Jai Courtney was fun to watch for once. Just glad Will Smith is back in action. Robbie really did do well as Quinn, looking forward to her return. Neat mid-credit sequence, too.

All in all I expected nothing but had a fun time. It's much better than ID4-2 or BvS if we're comparing these blockbusters.

I actually didn't mind Leto's Joker. What I didn't like was the Joker being shoehorned into the movie

The performance wasn't bad but it had zero context. We know nothing about the Joker other than he...kinda likes Harley? And is crazy, of course.

Like, the whole:
"I want you to die for me. No no, I want you to live for me."
*Harley interprets this as jumping into acid*
*Joker almost leaves her(???) but then rescues her*

What the hell are we supposed to get out of that exchange?

I understand that their relationship is full of topsy-turny twists and betrayals, but if they're trying to establish a core to that relationship, they need to commit to it. We have no idea what makes the Joker tick, even if it's chaos ala TDK and other interpretations. It seemed like they were more going for a crime lord angle but, jeeze, what a mess.

I actually didn't mind Leto's Joker. What I didn't like was the Joker being shoehorned into the movie
I can agree with that

If anything I would've liked if they just kept him in flashbacks. I really liked the
Ace Chemicals sequence

What I like about his performance was that it's about what I expected, a Joker closer to TAS version fed through the Heath Ledger version. It's definitely drawing from the grittiness of Ledger but there's a lot more wackiness and flamboyance

I can see it not being everyone's thing but on the whole the look/feel of the movie reminded me of that fake Mortal Kombat movie trailer that came out like 6/7 years ago, which I really liked and didn't see captured as well in the webseries stuff they did

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
One scene that is badly hurt by cutting so much stuff out is the Ace Chemicals scene.

In the movie Harley is walking up stairs, looks down and she randomly has a flashback scene where we see her jumping into the chemicals. Apparently in the early version, that scene was the ending to a much longer scene between Joker and Harley, where she asks him how he ended up like that and that's why he takes her there.

Just got back and really liked the style of the movie but it seemed like a bit of a mess. Oh, and the crocodile guy was jar jar binks level of horrible/racist on my opinion.

That said I loved Jared Leto's joker, Will Smith's character (though I can't remember his name) and Harley Quinn. Every other member of the SS seemed to be varying degrees of silly and/or useless.

Overall it seemed like they were trying to make an Avengers movie with characters that just don't work in that "us against a massive weave of enemies" setting.

this Kinda Funny spoiler review is hilarious. One of the things they brought up that I said a long time ago about this movie is that there is not enough space to give backstory to all the members of the SS. It was too many characters to introduce all at once.

Guardians did it right by only giving Starlord back story, and even that was just a single scene at the beginning. The rest of the characters have a few lines of dialogue each explaining who they are and what happened to them. It helped a lot that all 5 of them had character motivations that led them directly to the main villain. Easy way to develop them all at the same time.

That's a tight, focused, and well-written script. Maybe the best one in the MCU.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Came back from it.

No.

No.

Nononononononono there's no way this is anywhere near as awful as BvS. It's a fun ass movie and the strengths of it don't even come from any of the action sequences. Just having these characters have a dialogue with each other and giving (some of) them exploration was what makes it all entertaining.

Cast was good, even Jai Courtney was fun to watch for once. Just glad Will Smith is back in action. Robbie really did do well as Quinn, looking forward to her return. Neat mid-credit sequence, too.

All in all I expected nothing but had a fun time. It's much better than ID4-2 or BvS if we're comparing these blockbusters.

Good to read this. Going with the fam in a few hours! *fingers crossed*

One scene that is badly hurt by cutting so much stuff out is the Ace Chemicals scene.

In the movie Harley is walking up stairs, looks down and she randomly has a flashback scene where we see her jumping into the chemicals. Apparently in the early version, that scene was the ending to a much longer scene between Joker and Harley, where she asks him how he ended up like that and that's why he takes her there.

That was desperately needed.

I can agree with that

If anything I would've liked if they just kept him in flashbacks. I really liked the
Ace Chemicals sequence

What I like about his performance was that it's about what I expected, a Joker closer to TAS version fed through the Heath Ledger version. It's definitely drawing from the grittiness of Ledger but there's a lot more wackiness and flamboyance

I can see it not being everyone's thing but on the whole the look/feel of the movie reminded me of that fake Mortal Kombat movie trailer that came out like 6/7 years ago, which I really liked and didn't see captured as well in the webseries stuff they did

Nonsense about the TAS/Ledger thing. He resembles neither.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom