• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I remember about Into Darkness was Cumberbatch being all superior and Kirk dying then Spock screams "KHAAAAAANN!".

Of course, I've only seen it once.

On DVD.

2 years ago.

Whilst being very tired.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
All I remember about Into Darkness was Cumberbatch being all superior and Kirk dying then Spock screams "KHAAAAAANN!".

Of course, I've only seen it once.

On DVD.

2 years ago.

Whilst being very tired.

I remember the reuse of magic blood plot in amazing spiderman 2 as those two movies had the same writers

a916

I think time travel is involved. He wears his official costume in this but in the Justice League trailer when Bruce visits him he just has a work in progress costume I believe, he doesn't seem to get this one until later in the JL film

I think that is his suit he have made from NASA parts, I don't think we have seen the Waynetech suit yet.

This. People are looking way too into it. That's his "home made" version.

Ashtrax

So I saw it last night with the missus, and I am very disappointed with how it turned out. I even lowered by my expectations after the reviews and rumors surrounding last minute changes and the way it was marketed.

But damn, whoever made the decisions on the cuts and edits should never be in that seat again! Director David Ayer (whom I'm a huge fan of his films) says that the release was his cut, but I call BS on that, if you know his style of film making, you'll see that the entire movie goes against the grain.

Weird abrupt scene changes, soundtrack feeling shoehorned in (great music, just badly used), not even long enough time to really empathize with the characters (and it's 2 hours long... like what?). What is weird is that the first and third acts are very much David Ayer directed parts, particularly the final battle, but the second act is all over the place.

That said, not even the fantastic cast could carry it. Will Smith, Margot Robbie, Viola Davis and co are great. The characters are great and you can see the some great moments interweaving between them. Hell even the villain could have been absolutely the best seen in a comic book movie... If they gave way more time to really drive in a backstory for them.

The wife and I enjoyed what little of the Joker we got. It's an interesting interpretation of the character
(He is more calculating rather than a force of nature, like he had absolute control of the criminal underworld, and that the obsession was reversed with Harley, in that he needed her more than she needed him)

I really wanted to love it, but in the end, it's just an average film. Here's hoping we actually see the original cut. I know it's out there, and I reckon it would be something else.

Cuburt

This movie is divisive through and through. Don't know why people are trying to argue otherwise, except to try to prove that "the critics are wrong, audiences actually love it!"

charsace

Saw it. Mediocre outside of the performances which are great. The performances in this movie is the reason why people think its a good. It isn't though. The plot is thin and even though its thin its still a mess. Its not clear at times what motivates characters to keep on fighting. The fight choreography is weak with the exception of Deadshot who mostly shoots things.

Boomerang was my favorite. Everyone else on the squad are broken toys. Boomerang was the only one who seemed to be a real wildcard with a small moral compass.

(He is more calculating rather than a force of nature, like he had absolute control of the criminal underworld, and that the obsession was reversed with Harley, in that he needed her more than she needed him)

:< peanutbutterlatte mentioned this
about joker last night and, unlike you, the bolded part doesn't read very joker to me :<

idk. i think peanutbutterlatte described him as a love-smitten kitten and that's just a whole bag of nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, for me

Ashtrax

and that's just a whole bag of nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, for me

It's a totally fair opinion. I'm open to variations of the characters, and in the case of the DCU future,
I'm wondering if we're going to see Harley front row and center over the Joker. In the case of Suicide Squad, the Joker was built around her, rather than the other way around.

There is more I can elaborate on this, but perhaps I should move it to the spoiler thread.

I tried so hard to like this movie, but it was terrible. I enjoyed Batman V Superman, I can't fathom how someone would hate that movie and enjoy this one, this has way more flaws than that movie ever had. I seriously can't believe they cut this shit like this and sent it out to theaters, I'm beyond disappointed right now because it could have been so much better.

After seeing it, I really don't think it's as bad as the RT score. Felt more like a 50% or 60%. I get why critics were harsh with it since it had plenty of fundamental issues, but it wasn't impossible to enjoy.

Joker sucked though. He was so... nothing.

pestul

After seeing it, I really don't think it's as bad as the RT score. Felt more like a 50% or 60%. I get why critics were harsh with it since it had plenty of fundamental issues, but it wasn't impossible to enjoy.

That's pretty much where the critics on RT rated it. It's sitting at 4.7/10 right now.

RT Score isn't an average of review scores.

JB1981

Jesus Christ this is depressing. It's supposed to rain tomorrow so I thought I'd use that as an opportunity to see this but maybe I'll see ST Beyond instead.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Just got home and have to say that me and my family loved it. Biggest flaw for me was the overblown 3rd act/excessive slow-mo/overall bad villain. I didn't get upset at the editing, music choices/use didn't bother me. Deadshot, Harley, Waller and Joker were great. All of the Squad was solid in fact. I really hope we see them together again to be honest as I thought they had good chemistry and there is a good foundation here for future appearances. Waller was so spot on. Man.

The audience at my theater really responded well and I think good word of mouth will carry this despite reviews.

To me, this is easily the best (only?) crowd-pleaser DCEU film. And dat cameo. Did not expect that at all. So good.

RT Score isn't an average of review scores.

I know, I mean to say it felt like something that would score a 50, where half of critics would be positive or so. I know the average review is about that, but it seems like there would be more critics that would overall give it a positive review rather than mixed or negative.

Most other movies I've seen around ~20% on RT were way worse than this, but I guess that's just the weirdness with RT using percent positive rather than overall average like Metacritic as their main score. You could have a movie with 100% where every review was, "eh, it's alright."

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Someone mentioned the performances being the reason people think this is a good film and I can totally agree with that. The bar scene was great, the small interactions between Deadshot and Harley, Capt. Boomerang being sort of the dude you don't know which way he'll go and Croc being a savage but at the same time a chill dude. Heh. And of course, Waller. Boss as fuck.

Fury451

Banned
Jesus Christ this is depressing. It's supposed to rain tomorrow so I thought I'd use that as an opportunity to see this but maybe I'll see ST Beyond instead.

Beyond is a much better movie, but this isn't bad. It's a missed opportunity, but still worth checking out if you're curious.

I've been warming up to it since last night. All my criticisms remain, it's heavily flawed, but not a miserable experience or anything.

Sanctuary

Fury451

Banned
Yeah...let's release a cut featuring the worst character having more screen time.

I've seen a lot of comments floating around saying "Well I didn't see enough of Joker to form an opinion."

Yes you did. If you weren't wowed by what you saw already, you didn't like that portrayal.

Joker isn't a character that you have an indifferent reaction to when the performance is good.

I have to say if I heard it correctly this movie honestly did have one of the best jokes in a movie in recent memory for me.
"They capped the Flagg again"

Yeah...let's release a cut featuring the worst character having more screen time.
I thought this Joker was actually pretty good at least in terms of personality, the problem is he never gets enough screen time to spread his wings. At this point yeah he's a glorified mob boss cuz that's all we see him do but Leto's performance itself wasn't any worse than Ledgers, they were actually pretty similar. I watched TDK for the first time a few days ago so the movie is fresh in my mind minus the nostalgia.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Fuck the reviews this movie was amazing ! I loved how they actually gave all characters time to shine, unlike Marvel. I normally hate on DC, but I got to hand it to them. Suicide Squad is my movie of the year.

-d0hv

Zero315

Banned

Honestly, go see it for yourself. Me and the group of about 6 people I just saw it with all loved it. I kinda figured from reading some reviews that this is going to be a divisive movie.

I think the criticism of Joker not being in it enough is bullshit. I always thought he was going to be a side character and that's exactly what he was. I think some people thought the movie was going to be based around him.

Fury451

Banned
Honestly, go see it for yourself. Me and the group of about 6 people I just saw it with all loved it. I kinda figured from reading some reviews that this is going to be a divisive movie.

I think the criticism of Joker not being in it enough is bullshit. I always thought he was going to be a side character and that's exactly what he was. I think some people thought the movie was going to be based around him.

The list of cut scenes show

Joker and Harley's story/abusive relationship was a pretty large part of the movie, and the final edit of the scenes they shared reflects that there's huge chunks missing that explain their behavior and the scenes bettter.

Well I got tickets to see it with the girlfriend again tomorrow morning. Doing our part.
Fuck yeah Suicide Squad

honestly I can't stop thinking about this fucking movie

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Yeah, Joker was solid and his thing for Harley and her thing for him was definitely realized even with such little screen time. I liked that he had legit flunkies too replete with funky masks plus the Joker mobile. Very comic-booky in that sense.

Fuck the reviews this movie was amazing ! I loved how they actually gave all characters time to shine, unlike Marvel. I normally hate on DC, but I got to hand it to them. Suicide Squad is my movie of the year.

-d0hv

Did we watch the same movie?
Did killer Croc even have a backstory? Actually did the Australian have one other then (I like deadpool unicorn fetish jokes) and I steal things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom