• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantomex

These are some extreme mental gymnastics. I don't consider any of the characters or main characters in any of the marvel movies to be poorly written albeit boring, their motivations make sense and its their actors that generally elevate okay characters to great ones. I feel like Loki is a shit character in the MCU with a great actor and I don't care about any part of Loki or his motivations because I think he's a dumb villain I just like seeing Tom act. I'm not sure what discussion you're even attempting to have or what point you're arguing, it just looks like you're arguing for the sake of arguing.

It just never feels earned to me. We never learn enough about her beforehand. Had they had maybe had a scene of exposition and talked about June's findings in her tomb and saw cave drawings and talked about her in ancient history like Apocalypse then maybe. But she kinda just says it and then stuff happens.

The butthurt is real! Do you have stock options at WB?

Do you have real things to do in the real world? Because the fact that you just mentioned pulp fiction having a weak story screams of a cry for attention.

BLACKLAC

Shitting on Pulp Fiction to prop up Suicide Squad.

Dear god.

DGLfkZg.gif

The butthurt is real! Do you have stock options at WB?
Butthurt?, are you serious? If anything you seem much more upset at the fact that not only people don't agree with you but that you can't craft an argument. Also how is saying Pulp Fiction has a thin story and saying it's not the focus of the movie shitting on it? Some of you are the most reactionary people I've ever seen who spend more time complaining and whining than actually attempting to prove your point. But I guess some of you are capable of little more than drive by shitposting.

For the record, Pulp Fiction is one of my all time favorite movies and if some of you are going to shit the bed over something so simple, especially something that isn't an insult you're not worth the time.

Fantomex

Butthurt?, are you serious? If anything you seem much more upset at the fact that not only people don't agree with you but that you can't craft an argument. Also how is saying Pulp Fiction has a thin story and saying it's not the focus of the movie shitting on it? Some of you are the most reactionary people I've ever seen who spend more time complaining and whining than actually attempting to prove your point. But I guess some of you are capable of little more than drive by shitposting.

For the record, Pulp Fiction is one of my all time favorite movies and if some of you are going to shit the bed over something so simple, especially something that isn't an insult you're not worth the time.

In a nutshell you have made many subjective drive by posts and passed them off as facts. You mentioned Loki is a bad villain. Yet Loki has survived through the Viking stories and folklore. It's like saying Satan has a weak backstory. Marvels version although different, is constantly reinventing himself. And you seem to bypass all the SS shortcomings to argue that it was great. What was good about it? You should articulate why it's good. Pacing, storytelling, cinematography? Enlighten us. Being abrasive will not get people to see what you see.

The story in Suicide Squad is bad and not in the way that it takes a backseat to everything else. It's bad as in it has holes and characters that don't make sense. Movies that emphasize style over story at least have a story that makes sense.

In a nutshell you have made many subjective drive by posts and passed them off as facts. You mentioned Loki is a bad villain. Yet Loki has survived through the Viking stories and folklore. It's like saying Satan has a weak backstory. Marvels version although different, is constantly reinventing himself. And you seem to bus pass all the SS shortcomings to argue that it was great. What was good about it? You should articulate why it's good. Pacing, storytelling, cinematography? Enlighten us. Being abrasive will not get people to see what you see.
I've mentioned numerous times why it's good, I've also spend more time pointing out the movies flaws than I have pointing out its positives. Why would I be talking about anything other than Marvel's Loki? Pretending that I meant Loki as a whole is moving goal posts and I've repeadedly stated that the movie is around a 6-7 for me, not 'great' but I enjoyed it and think it has potential. You're going to whine about being abrasive then do the same thing and completely ignore all of my posts? That's up to you.

But holy fuck it's hilarious how quickly you guys get upset and something gets taken out of context to prove your own point and you're a prime offender. When you're actually ready to go back and read through some of my posts then we can have a discussion, until then don't bother.

And to quote myself since either way people are going to bitch about it.
Here's what I said:
Because there's more to a movie than the story? It's like a million different moving parts and the story is something that gives those moving parts direction. Not every movie is story heavy or has a good story and there are plenty of movies with weak stories that can be considered great movies. Like Pulp Fiction.

Because there's more to a movie than the story? It's like a million different moving parts and the story is something that gives those moving parts direction. Not every movie is story heavy or has a good story and there are plenty of movies with weak stories that can be considered great movies. Like Pulp Fiction.

In response to someone implying that the story is the most important part of the film, where I think Pulp Fiction is a good example of a film that's great with the story taking a back seat to other things like it's characters. It's not even a comparison it's a statement.

The turn of events this thread has taken is absolutely incredible lmao.

Maybe it's just me but I'm absolutely convinced SS has managed to be a more polarizing film that even BvS could hope to imagine.

"The RT score is undeserved, it's far better than BvS"
"I liked BvS, but this was bad"
"It wasn't as bad as I expected"
"I hated BvS, but this was even worse"
"One of the worst films I've ever seen"
"*insert comparison to Fant4stic here*"

I'm part of the new breed guys, I was like 6 when that film came out

Why would I watch old shit when I can enjoy the new hotness!

Also it's probably shite

The turn of events this thread has taken is absolutely incredible lmao.

Maybe it's just me but I'm absolutely convinced SS has managed to be a more polarizing film that even BvS could hope to imagine.

"The RT score is undeserved, it's far better than BvS"
"I liked BvS, but this was bad"
"It wasn't as bad as I expected"
"I hated BvS, but this was even worse"
"One of the worst films I've ever seen"
"*insert comparison to Pulp Fiction here*"

Updated

Whatever man. Pulp Fiction isn't carried by its story, it's fairly thin and I doubt most of the people that enjoy the film care for it either. It's not bad but it's definitely not the greatest thing ever and that films strengths aren't its story. But we can agree to disagree.

Wow. Just wow.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Does SS suffer a similar problem this video points out?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38Cy_Qlh7VM

Not at all. Suicide Squad suffers from verbal diarrhea to give exposition as well as flashbacks and montages. Ayer's best in this film comes from the action scenes which were alright. Nothing spectacular but they were highlight.

If anything, Suicide Squad sort of points out how well Snyder does these "moments". You remember the slow motion death of the Waynes, and other parts of the film.

If the guy in that video says Batman v Superman lacks scenes, and only consists of moments, then Suicide Squad lacks moments, and consists only of filler scenes.

Whatever man. Pulp Fiction isn't carried by its story, it's fairly thin and I doubt most of the people that enjoy the film care for it either. It's not bad but it's definitely not the greatest thing ever and that films strengths aren't its story. But we can agree to disagree.

okay yeah man, this isn't a hill you want to die on, to defend something like suicide squad by putting down Pulp Fiction at the same time lmao

This actually happens way too often for comic book movies, like "Yeah, well why wasn't such and such criticized about THAT MCU MOVIE??!!" "Critics always give a pass to X-Men films!" or whatever

Defend your superhero films on their own merits, sheesh

okay yeah man, this isn't a hill you want to die on, to defend something like suicide squad by putting down Pulp Fiction at the same time lmao
I've already explained my position in the post above. It wasn't even on defense of suicide squad, just a statement in general that's being taken out of context due to another user quoting me while I was quoting someone else. But you're right so I'm gunna stop.

The novelization comes out on Monday. Don't want to read it but I kinda want to know if they left the joker scenes in there. I remember reading Star Wars Episode 3 and it was vastly different than the movie. Decisions

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
They need a proper quote for the Blu-ray jacket.

"Suicide Squad is Pulp Fiction for the Snapchat generation." - NeoGAF

"The most fun I've had at the theater outside of the restroom."

Just saw it. God, that was bad. A jumbled mess of unneccessary scenes and unneccessary characters. Feel bad for having given money to the guys that greenlit this.

So yeah, the reviews were pretty much dead on. My friends, who didn't know about the review scores, hated it as well.

Guys, guys, can we please get back on topic? The Suicide Squad Review Thread is not for discussing Air Bud. It's for discussion Thor: The Dark World and Iron Man 3.

It's no Space Jam.

Space Jam is bullshit because it tries to make me throw away all sense and think that Bill Murray is good at basketball

Air Bud - 43% 4.8

Pulp Fiction - 26%(1 rotten away from 25) 4.6

�� �� ��

Reviewers getting it right, I see

Guys, guys, can we please get back on topic? The Suicide Squad Review Thread is not for discussing Air Bud. It's for discussion Thor: The Dark World and Iron Man 3.

I CONTROL THE NARRATIVE

No other reply in this thread will be more of an understatement than this.

Pack it up guys.
If people want to take a statement out of context, spin it then take offense to it I can't really do much more than try to correct their understanding of my position. If people on this forum hate me for it so be it, but it wasn't a dig at the movie or something in defense of suicide squad. I just think it's a good example of a movie that has its story take a backseat to other things and is still a great film, whereas the poster I had originally quoted implied that the story should be front and center and without that it's a bad movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom