• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papacheeks

Banned
I know he did. I was following production of that film very closely. Fun Fact: Kenneth Brangh's Hamlet is one of my top five favourite films of all time. Love that movie.

Needless to say, Thor is not very Shakespearian in its ambitions or in terms of its writing, and the flimsy connection does nothing to give such a remarkably flat and soul-less film any semblance of depth. Thor isn't a particularly good movie, and Thor: Dark World is as a film is infinitely worse.

Well i agree on dark world it was meh. But even though Thor wasn't perfect I felt the center of it all which was the drama was well done. I really felt bad for loki, and you felt how hard it was for Odin to cast his own son out of his home.

And that comes down to the actors, writing, and direction from Kenneth.

You thinking Thor is shit, is your opinion one that according to user/critic is not the norm.

Note: Maybe artistically compared to what's been done in the past, it may not sit well with you in how they made those films, but the rest of the viewing world seems to understand the direction, emotion, and characters to where they seem fine paying 12$ to see it critic or viewer. You may not agree with the direction, but doesn't make the the film any less, unless it is utter shit. Which thor dark world kind of was if it wasn't for tom hiddlston, he saved that movie from being terrible to being meh.

Exodust

Banned
Nah, she looks great as Wondy.

She's a terrible actress. And while she's a good looking woman I don't think she looks great as Wonder Woman either.

I think the same of Margot as Harley. She's a beautiful girl but only was good in one movie(Wolf of Wall Street) and all footage I've seen of her isn't exactly what I think when I think Harley.

jelly

Chris Hemsworth. Dude sucks, but he is fine as Thor. Or Cavill as Superman. Same story. You don't need great actors for these superhero roles. Just someone who is serviceable enough, Gadot seems to do the same from what we have seen so far.

Cavill sucks as Superman, looking the part isn't enough. Yes, I've seen The Man From Uncle and he sucks in that too. Like Gadot, he is wooden with zero charisma. Nobody is picking on Gadot unless they are body shaming idiots.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Chris Hemsworth is an excellent actor
...cavill is absolute garbage

Lol, yeah no. Same tier as Cavill; both have the looks and are okay enough for their roles and that's it. Anything outside of that....yikes. Incredibly one-note and lacking subtlety in all of his roles from what I've seen. And you call him 'excellent'. No, the greats are excellent: Gary Oldman or someone like that. Not Hemsworth.

Ferulci

A brilliantly made, extremely tasty cheeseburger, but a cheeseburger nonetheless. Well-crafted blockbuster entertainment, which never strives to be anything more.

Whereas, Nolan's Batman films (perhaps excluding The Dark Knight Returns) felt like more substantial films to me, films that had a lot more substance and artistry behind them. They were films with thematical underpinnings, films that had something to say.

I mean, what were the main themes of Guardians of the Galaxy, for example? Family is good? No, there weren't really any themes. Because it was a deliriously cheerful, thrill-seeking blockbuster. But it wasn't hugely substantial as an actual film which explores its characters in depth or engages us as an audience in any kind of creative way.

I love Marvel's films, but they've still got a long way to go before they hit the highs of the Nolan films and Spiderman 2, at least in my opinion. But at the very least, Marvel Studios has an extremely strong understanding of the source material they're continuing to adapt...unlike say, Snyder and friends as they continue to mishandle comic book property after comic book property.

Preach.

I find it funny because as a person Cavill looks and sounds charismatic as fuck (backstage interviews, promos, etc), but if you ask him to act... well.

When your studio is being chaired by a business guy with no thought to quality, this is what you get.

From 2014 Grantland:

Today we have a different model: The modern studio chief loves business, success, replication, and reliability, and nobody expects him to offer even the most cursory nod to anything that smacks of ideals that relate to content; that’s not what he’s there for. Tsujihara has an MBA from Stanford. He started out managing Time Warner’s interest in Six Flags theme parks, then moved to home entertainment, and early last year took over the whole business. He has never produced a movie; in fact, he is the first studio head to rise in the ranks purely through brand extension and ancillary divisions, and brand extension is what he’s all about. Besides the DC announcement, his big accomplishments have been to nail down those three additional Rowling movies to add to the studio’s portfolio of eight, and to turn one Lego movie into four — a ninja Lego movie, a Batman Lego movie, and (for purists, I suppose) The Lego Movie 2. This is what successful purveyors of goods do; they make more of what sells, they cull what doesn’t from the lineup, and they seek to create products in which quality-of-execution variability is never going to be too much of a wild card. MGM’s old, gloriously lofty motto was “Ars Gratia Artis”; today, the only thing written in invisible ink on every studio gate is “More of What Works,” a credo that would be right at home at the entrance to any manufacturing plant.

Seeing it sit at 34% right now!

GSsEQXV.gif

Goddammit, after the mess that was BvS (though I did enjoy some things) I was hoping this would be the film that would turn things around for the DCEU. I'll still try to go see it, since my younger sister has been hyped for the film, but that isn't a good sign about what I'm about to see.

They really got a long ways to go, if they expect to compete with Marvel Studios well enough.

Hemsworth apparently has great comedic timing, he could end up as the replacement for Gosling on those romantic comedies.

Normal movies though? Eh.

He's fine in Rush. Bruhl is on another level, but it's him at his best.

Don't know about the comedic thing when Ghostbusters and Vacation are on his resume.

Gleethor

Why do I only ever see "loud" and "noisy" in negative film reviews. Plenty of good films could be described that way as well. Just makes the critics sound like old people complaining about music coming from downstairs neighbors.

the directing and writing talent just gets worse and worse from here. all the movies in this universe are likely gonna be shiet.

god knows how the hiring process went down, probably all corrupt.

Put bets on if that Nine Lives movie with Kevin Spacey as a cat gets higher score?

How does yours look?

This shitting on Gadot is laughable. We have countless no-talent male 'actors' in these big movies for years now and no one cares and actually likes them. Now Gadot (who from what we have seen does just fine) is suddenly so awful the movie shouldn't even be made.

Hayden Christensen, help!

mcrommert

Banned
Lol, yeah no. Same tier as Cavill; both have the looks and are okay enough for their roles and that's it. Anything outside of that....yikes. Incredibly one-note and lacking subtlety in all of his roles from what I've seen. And you call him 'excellent'. No, the greats are excellent: Gary Oldman or someone like that. Not Hemsworth.

Watch the beginning of star trek 2009 with him as George kirk...he is very good

I would day that his looks have hurt him getting the juicier roles

tomtom94

Why do I only ever see "loud" and "noisy" in negative film reviews. Plenty of good films could be described that way as well. Just makes the critics sound like old people complaining about music coming from downstairs neighbors.

There's a difference between using dynamic contrast for effect and just blasting people's ears to startle them. Too much noise (both visual and audio) can actually be nauseating.

Nothing Hollywood is doing has changed, audiences are just finally wising up thanks to social media and not buying into any of their tired retreaded shit.

This is a good thing.
Good movies are also suffering. Look GB and Star Trek. If you weren't an animated movie you had a 50/50 chance of succeeding.

tomtom94

I feel like a director coming out and saying "Well, this a film we made for the fans!" after said films critical reception, is the surest sign that said film is actually trash.

"We made it for the fans, which is why Harley Quinn and Joker are completely different from usual."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom