• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh... "Made it for the fans..."

So, we've reached that phase already.

I'll remember this when I see this on opening night with half a dozen other neckbeards in fast-food stained Green Lantern t-shirts, an old couple who probably walked in to the wrong theater and literally no one else.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
DC: "if you don't like it, you are not a true fan!"

Also, wasn't the Dunkirk teaser supposed to drop on the 8th? So no chance them showing it tomorrow at my screening? :(

Chris Hemsworth is an excellent actor
...cavill is absolute garbage

giphy.gif

Harmen

I absolutely love The Avengers (to my mind, it's probably Marvel's best film to date, perhaps excluding the first Iron Man and Winter Solider). But to me, The Avengers is a cheeseburger. A brilliantly made, extremely tasty cheeseburger, but a cheeseburger nonetheless. Well-crafted blockbuster entertainment, which never strives to be anything more.

Whereas, Nolan's Batman films (perhaps excluding The Dark Knight Returns) felt like more substantial films to me, films that had a lot more substance and artistry behind them. They were films with thematical underpinnings, films that had something to say.

I mean, what were the main themes of Guardians of the Galaxy, for example? Family is good? No, there weren't really any themes. Because it was a deliriously cheerful, thrill-seeking blockbuster. But it wasn't hugely substantial as an actual film which explores its characters in depth or engages us as an audience in any kind of creative way.

I love Marvel's films, but they've still got a long way to go before they hit the highs of the Nolan films and Spiderman 2, at least in my opinion. But at the very least, Marvel Studios has an extremely strong understanding of the source material they're continuing to adapt...unlike say, Snyder and friends as they continue to mishandle comic book property after comic book property.

I think Civil War did a really good job at increasing the stakes, with thoughtful discussion. And all of that without detracting from the superhero action setpieces and a good amount of comedy. In terms of character progression/motivation, I think MCU is better than the Nolan trilogy. Especially the Cap and Iron Man character arcs are done tremendously well and it convincinly/logically escalated in Civil War, with each character (of which there are a shitton) having a clear motivation that fits their narrative from preceding films. And that is absolutely part due to fantastic acting, good/consistent dialouge, and a good understanding/feeling of/for human psychology.

While I agree many films of MCU have a main focus on being a superhero spectacle infused with humor (especially the phase 1 films),I don't think they shy away from serious underlying themes either.

I fully agree Nolan's trilogy is something special, however, it is one of my favourite trilogies in general. Screw the hate on TDKR (though the action in that film really sucked balls, unfortunately).

Seeing it sit at 34% right now!

GSsEQXV.gif

Goddammit, after the mess that was BvS (though I did enjoy some things) I was hoping this would be the film that would turn things around for the DCEU. I'll still try to go see it, since my younger sister has been hyped for the film, but that isn't a good sign about what I'm about to see.

They really got a long ways to go, if they expect to compete with Marvel Studios well enough.

Says the person with a Harley Quinn avatar, lol.

If this and BvS were any good theyd make such ridiculous money. The poor quality is gonna crash this just like BvS after huge early numbers.

Kuros

I think Hemsworth is great in the fish out of water role in Thor 1. His performance in costumed Thor is pretty cardboard but so is the character.

labx

Banned
Well it's official guys. Nolan's version of DC grim universe, best version yet. Wrap it up, let's re-watch TDK trilogy and cry.

vaderise

Anyone who thinks Chris Hemsworth is a bad actor should just watch ''The Rush''.
A superb movie and a very decent performance from Hemsworth.

Someone make a Suicide Squad version of this.

fNUb0b9.jpg
Please no. It spreads. I don't want this kind of shit all over my Facebook feed.
This is the definiton of cringe.

Dawg

why do people only focus on rottentomatoes??? that site isn't even that well known, just another way for marvel fans to shit on the next DC movie as usual

it's getting way too blatant, neogaf.. or should i say... marvelgaf?

meanwhile NOBODY is talking about the 9,1 score the movie currently has on imDB... gee i wonder why!

Co4RRn4XgAAM-sN.jpg:large

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1386697/

but yeah, just go on hating the movie without even having seen it. i'm going to watch it monday with friends and actually enjoy myself. have fun talking about meaningless scores all week gaf!

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
The only thing(s) that have been announced for the DC slate that I have remotely in interest for are Wonder Woman and Ben's Bat-Trilogy. Outside of that, I just have zero faith in WB to deliver a truly 'great' experience in this Cinematic Universe they've created. Which is a shame, because the DC mythos is so ripe for great stories and characters.

Someone make a Suicide Squad version of this.

fNUb0b9.jpg

LOL at getting mad at audiences for expecting a movie about Superman and Batman to be fun and accessible to children.

I think Civil War did a really good job at increasing the stakes, with thoughtful discussion. And all of that without detracting from the superhero action setpieces and a good amount of comedy. In terms of character progression/motivation, I think MCU is better than the Nolan trilogy. Especially the Cap and Iron Man character arcs are done tremendously well and it convincinly/logically escalated in Civil War, with each character (of which there are a shitton) having a clear motivation that fits their narrative from preceding films. And that is absolutely part due to fantastic acting, good/consistent dialouge, and a good understanding/feeling of/for human psychology.

While I agree many films of MCU have a main focus on being a superhero spectacle infused with humor (especially the phase 1 films),I don't think they shy away from serious underlying themes either.

I fully agree Nolan's trilogy is something special, however, it is one of my favourite trilogies in general. Screw the hate on TDKR (though the action in that film really sucked balls, unfortunately).

I don't like Marvel that much but Civil War is one of my favourite superhero movies just below Nolan's Batman and right up there with Spiderman 2.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe Christopher Nolan blew his sacred horn (you know the one) and put a curse on everything related to Batman.

We had some rumours about Batfleck having a cameo in WW.

Movie is DOOMED! Thanks, Nolan.

mcrommert

Banned
why do people only focus on rottentomatoes??? that site isn't even that well known, just another way for marvel fans to shit on the next DC movie as usual

it's getting way too blatant, neogaf.. or should i say... marvelgaf?

meanwhile NOBODY is talking about the 9,1 score the movie currently has on imDB... gee i wonder why!

Co4RRn4XgAAM-sN.jpg:large

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1386697/

but yeah, just go on hating the movie without even having seen it. i'm going to watch it monday with friends and actually enjoy myself. have fun talking about meaningless scores all week gaf!

Started off thought it was a joke

Not sure now

Staf

I think Hemsworth is great in the fish out of water role in Thor 1. His performance in costumed Thor is pretty cardboard but so is the character.

I agree. They should have gone even further with it, same goes for Avengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom