• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan_MSF

why do people only focus on rottentomatoes??? that site isn't even that well known, just another way for marvel fans to shit on the next DC movie as usual

it's getting way too blatant, neogaf.. or should i say... marvelgaf?

meanwhile NOBODY is talking about the 9,1 score the movie currently has on imDB... gee i wonder why!

Co4RRn4XgAAM-sN.jpg:large

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1386697/

but yeah, just go on hating the movie without even having seen it. i'm going to watch it monday with friends and actually enjoy myself. have fun talking about meaningless scores all week gaf!

I agree Dawg

labx

Banned
I never understood people calling Nolan films grim or dull or dark. They are quite lively and funny among the other aspects. It's rooted in realism as can be not grim.

Exactly Nolan's didn't give a damn about the concept he created his own concept. That is his success. But all this directors and writers think in opposites. Marvel is bright DC must be dark. That's why the keep failing. Have you see the new Aqua Man? So disturbed and drunk... Make me cringe. Look at Aqua Man comic books the guy talks to dolphins and that's cool. The only one that have it right is the guy playing Flash.

Zackat

why do people only focus on rottentomatoes??? that site isn't even that well known, just another way for marvel fans to shit on the next DC movie as usual

meanwhile NOBODY is talking about the 9,1 score the movie currently has on imDB... gee i wonder why!

but yeah, just go on hating the movie without even having seen it. i'm going to watch it monday with friends and actually enjoy myself. have fun talking about meaningless scores all week gaf!

Then Warcraft is a decent movie that was unjustly derided by movie critics. And I loved that movie, because I love Warcraft.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0803096/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Let's be real.

Sephzilla

The fundamental problem with this universe is that it's extended, because it was never intended to be a shared universe when Man of Steel was in production. Lack of vision is so apparent.

Yep. You can really tell that the DC movie universe was really reactionary to Avengers

I mean, it's great if done right.

Done right being key. Man of Steel didn't really build towards a cinematic universe and it was the drizzling shits.
Honest question: do we have an example of done right? Even Marvel shoehorned the Avengers stuff into Iron Man 2, and even if I loved the after-credit scenes initially, after a while they became... I don't know, forced perhaps?

Then Avengers came and while it did do a good job of depicting them as a Team, it wasn't an awesome movie or anything, just basic fun I guess. Age of Ultron felt like more of the same, and we're yet to see how they plan on connecting cosmic Marvel to Earth Marvel (I mean GotG/Thanos not Thor stuff). Hell, even in Civil War it seemed like characters were crammed into the movie just so they could be there for the airport scene (and don't get me wrong, I geeked out HARD at that scene). I can't imagine how they're going to bring Dr. Strange into all of this.

I guess what I'm saying is that in terms of universe cohesiveness, I don't think there's actually an IP or set of IPs that has tackled the "x universe" well in movies (or I don't remember it at the moment). I've enjoyed most of the Marvel movies as at least fun rides, but I don't think they've done a good job at building a believable, cohesive universe.

Harmen

Thanks to GAF, I somehow will have no problems whatsoever in the event Rogue One gets bad reviews as long as it ends up making a thread goldmine.

After a bad Batman flick (oh, and Superman), a mediocre X-men flick, a mediocre Bourne flick, and this supposedly being almost BvS-tier, I need Star Wars to deliver. The prequel trilogy was/is already responsible for enough salt/denial/fan wars for eternity.

This year started so well but eh... this summer has been quite something.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
After a bad Batman flick (oh, and Superman), a mediocre X-men flick, a mediocre Bourne flick, and this supposedly being almost BvS-tier, I need Star Wars to deliver. The prequel trilogy was/is already responsible for enough salt/denial/fan wars for eternity.

This year started so well but eh... this summer has been quite something.

I don't have a good feeling about Rogue One. You should see Star Trek, its pretty great.

tkscz

Think it's because imdb is more open to everyone instead of a select few reviewers. Speaking of these reviews, they have weirdly positive tones to a movie they think is really bad.

I say at this point, start over again, give Nolan the keys to the kingdom. At least the guy had a vision of what he wanted. This stuff is just turning into a "me too" cash grab.

Why the fuck are you not simply copying Assault on Arkham and make this movie uncomplicated, but good ? Fucking hell.

This is for the fans ? This is fucking disrespectful to the fans.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I've never been a fan of Marvel's universe canon plug-in's either. Thing is, they have had the leisure of doing it across a vast amount of films that so it just comes off as pretty annoying because it's in short bursts.

However, with DC trying too hard to play catch up, it's resulted from turning what was a minor nuisance in the MCU into a movie-breaking problem in BvS and what looks to be Suicide Squad.

Papacheeks

Banned
Honest question: do we have an example of done right? Even Marvel shoehorned the Avengers stuff into Iron Man 2, and even if I loved the after-credit scenes initially, after a while they became... I don't know, forced perhaps?

Then Avengers came and while it did do a good job of depicting them as a Team, it wasn't an awesome movie or anything, just basic fun I guess. Age of Ultron felt like more of the same, and we're yet to see how they plan on connecting cosmic Marvel to Earth Marvel (I mean GotG/Thanos not Thor stuff). Hell, even in Civil War it seemed like characters were crammed into the movie just so they could be there for the airport scene (and don't get me wrong, I geeked out HARD at that scene). I can't imagine how they're going to bring Dr. Strange into all of this.

I guess what I'm saying is that in terms of universe cohesiveness, I don't think there's actually an IP or set of IPs that has tackled the "x universe" well in movies (or I don't remember it at the moment). I've enjoyed most of the Marvel movies as at least fun rides, but I don't think they've done a good job at building a believable, cohesive universe.

Actually it started in iron man one with shield, and having nick fury be in the credits scene saying he's part of a bigger world he yet doesn't understand. Then at the end of incredible hulk stark shows up and tells ross he's putting a team together.

Then the end scene with fury at the end of captain america:first avenger. Iron man 2's was uneeded. They built it up in each movie even in thor he mentions before the movie ends to coulson that he will be there to protect midgar whenever they need him.

So yes it was uneeded in IM2, but avengers was built up starting with iron man 1. Which is why it was so successful critically, and loved among movie goers and critics.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
There is alot wrong with it.
With the concept of a Cinematic Universe, in and of itself? I don't understand. This isn't an either or situation. You can have great solo movies that happen to take place in a larger universe. We know it can be done. What's wrong with the way Marvel has built a cinematic universe around their characters?

GunBR

Think it's because imdb is more open to everyone instead of a select few reviewers. Speaking of these reviews, they have weirdly positive tones to a movie they think is really bad.

I don't watched the movie and I can go to imdb and give it a 0 or a 10

RT (or metacritic) has his problems, but the score on IMDB is a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom