• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goblet of Fire wasn't very good but at least it was fun compared to Yates' output.

"I'm here to suck the charm out of all that you love.

And make everything seem mundane."

"We're not putting in that scene where Harry shows he's matured by calling out Lupin on his deadbeat Dad bullshit, but here's Harry and Hermionie dancing in a tent for no real reason"

Fury451

Banned
Co9BdzhWIAAjMp1.jpg:large

Contractual obligation caught on film

Just got back from watching the movie and... I actually really liked it and it sounded like the rest of the people watching did as well, my sister loved it. I mean I wouldn't put it up there with Guardians of the Galaxy but I enjoyed it more than the latest X-Man movie.

The first 10 minutes or so did feel like a, well it pretty much was a montage introducing the cast. I went in thinking this movie was butcherd in the editing room but other than some scenes during the first half it wasn't as bad as I thought.

I was worried about Will Smith but he was good as Deadshot and Margot Robie did very well as Harley Quinn. Jared Letos Joker though... I wouldn't say he was as bad as Jessie's Lex but I didn't like it that much and the laughs he does was nowhere near any Joker, he felt like a messed up gangster that saw Joker and thought he's was going to try and be like him. Ben Affleck, awesome Batman, can't wait for his movie. Then there was a
scene with the Flash busting Captain Boomerang in a flashback and man did that hype me for the Flash movie.
Even Jai Cortney was alright most of the times.

Story wise, it's very simple. I thought it worked for what it was.

So yeah, I would say if you're interested go see it, it is corny here and there, don't expect a Avengers movie and have a good time. I'd give it a B-.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
"We're not putting in that scene where Harry shows he's matured by calling out Lupin on his deadbeat Dad bullshit, but here's Harry and Hermionie dancing in a tent for no real reason"

That scene was the best thing in any of the Yates movies. It was two friends trying to keep their spirits up in the face of overwhelming despair. Just because Harry and Hermione danced with each other, doesn't mean they fucked. Hermione is Harry's second best friend, it was right to show a more mature, sincere moment of affection between them. Whether it was in the books or not is irrelevant.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
The theme seems to be that Ben is great as Batman. Ben will save the DCEU along with The Rock.

They should get rid of Johnson asap. Dude is bad and so are his movies. Couple that with DC's trajectory so far, 1%RT incoming.

That scene was the best thing in any of the Yates movies. It was two friends trying to keep their spirits up in the face of overwhelming despair. Just because Harry and Hermione danced with each other, doesn't mean they fucked. Hermione is Harry's second best friend.

Kinda wish they did.

Zapata quote is my way of saying I love the movie and believe in it. Made it for the fans. Best experience of my life. ??
— David Ayer (@DavidAyerMovies) August 2, 2016
Maybe you should have made it a good movie so the fans would have had a lasting love for it instead of just loving the trailer.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought I was in the other thread. I've said I saw it already in here.

Expendable, your site's review was far too kind. It's a D at best.

HotHamBoy

Yeah despite the reviews I'm going to see it this weekend still for sure. BvS was reviewed horribly, and frankly it had more issues than I can name, but I still thought it was ok and worth seeing in a theater.

This is reviewing slightly higher than that so I won't be surprised if I have an ok / decent time with it

I hope you do have fun, sincerely.

I can't pay good money knowing an "ok/decent" time is the best-case scenario forecast.

I also don't like contributing to figures that encourage more shitty movies being made.

Caode

I have a feeling this movie was a victim of WB wanting a PG-13 rating and not an R.

Doubtful. It passed with no cuts here (Ireland) and in the UK and was slapped with a 15 rating. If that were the case it would've been a 12 here at most. It sound's more likely it was a victim of WB both rushing the production schedule and butchering whatever footage they had to make what they felt was a somewhat presentable product - and failed miserably.

Anyway, I was looking forward to this since it was announced but I'll be going in to it with very low expectations on Friday.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Invincible on Netflix would be dope af. And bloodier than Dead/Alive, so visual effects would take a backseat to practical ones. Beyond on board.

As much as I love superheroes, I have been very cool on the Marvel and DC comics, but Invincible may be one of my favorite superhero comics, and Mark Grayson is probably in my top five list of favorite superheroes (Spidey and The Flash are still GOAT #'s 1 and 2, respectively).

A Netflix Invincible series would be so good. Holy shit, I'm going crazy thinking about a season long version of "Conquest." People give The Walking Dead show all the love, but I think Invincible is more jaw dropping than it. Kirkman is an insanely talented writer. The Walking Dead comic is still amazing, but that show...jesus. Realistically, a network with a budget would have to do Invincible. There's enough character drama and charm to limit the crazy superhero stuff to a manageable level, but eventually they'd have to have an episode 9, GoT style epic battle before the season ends. They'd probably drastically shrink the universe and supporting cast as well. A single season adaptation of the first two volumes of the series would be perfect.

I also love the Powers comic, and I watch the show because, well, it's there, but fuck if that's a property that didn't deserve a better budget and production values.

Oh man, sorry for getting so off topic!

I think at the end of the day, Suicide Squad is probably going to be like Ghostbusters. An entertaining movie that's not as amazing as we'd hoped, but also not the trainwreck we feared (I'm a huge GB fan, and I loved GB 2016. It was fun and dumb and entertaining). Me and reviewers hardly ever see eye to eye (usually Jeremy Jahns has somewhat similar tastes, but sometimes, as is when dealing with individuals with different tastes, his don't align with mine, so I just move on). I urge seeing the movie for yourself if it interested you, and passing on it if it didn't. If I don't see it in the theater, I'll check it out when it hits VoD.

3N16MA

Banned
They should get rid of Johnson asap. Dude is bad and so are his movies. Couple that with DC's trajectory so far, 1%RT incoming.

He does solid business at the BO. One of the biggest action stars working today. WB is going to hang onto him.

Anth0ny

Affleck looks like he's telling Leto how things will go down when he's calling the shots.

"No funny business."
HQpizJu.jpg

Ugh. Fuckin' Yates.

what the hell is he wearing

I wouldn't be surprised if some high end fashion company already sells colorful ass, Cesar Romero Joker suiting

and when they reboot the DC universe in 5 years and need to design a new joker he's going to look straight out of 1966

Salsa

not like I care about these people outside their work but yeah Ayer been losing points for me

"I made it for the fans" is about the stupidest shit you can say as "owning up" to the failure of it

oh so critics arent fans

oh fans don't care if a movie's good

etc etc

add a bit of a fuckin zapata quote as if in any way was applicable to fuckin hollywood million dollar movie talk

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
^^Always wondered with those weird fashion shows: "Who the fuck buys this stuff and actually wears it?"

Now I know.

dustyherb

At this point, I'd love to see Image and Dark Horse step into the television and film ring. I want an Invincible series, dammit! Put it on Netflix or HBO, or a channel that isn't sanitized to high hell like most networks.

Invincible on Netflix would be dope af. And bloodier than Dead/Alive, so visual effects would take a backseat to practical ones. Beyond on board.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Skybound/status/756997999981498368

Salsa

hey you know who David Ayer bitching about bad reviews remind me of? the fuckin leader of the mexican revolution

what a hero

Papacheeks

Banned
I feel bad for Drew. Reports negative DC news, accused of being Marvel shill by DC fans. Reports positive DC news, accused of being DC shill by Marvel fans.

Who's drew? ANd no offense I'm a fan of comic book movies period. My collection of Batman the animated series, batman beyond among all the graphic novels I own would put me in comic book fan territory.

I just want the same attention done to DC films, regardless if they are connected or not. And recently outside of the great job they have been doing on the flash in comics recently, and tv show, they have done a piss poor job in their latest animated film, and their last 3 live action films.

I want consistency, of good dc movies that do a great job of representing the characters. The only consistency I've gotten from DC is that their last 4 films connected or other wise have been shit.

Me and others included are calling people out when a lot of news has come out on how this movie was chopped up edit wise, rushed to market, and took out what I might feel are pivotal scenes that elevated the film to being a great comic book movie. WB has too much of their non-comic book producers and the likes making changes, and focus testing screenings to make a product and not a film the well represents the source material.

Cuburt

Well on the bright side, Suicide Squad dropping the ball means that Marvel can still make a Thunderbolts movie without making it feel like a rehash.

It likely would be pretty different regardless, but it's another case of DC and Marvel having properties/characters with a similar enough premise that they will inevitably be compared, and now Marvel has an opportunity to capitalize on the premise in ways Suicide Squad didn't.

Sanctuary

The fact that Marvel Studios movies consistently make more money than Fox or Sony's should tell you that general audiences can discern the differences between the studios.

Really?

http://www.superherohype.com/featur...rossing-superhero-movies-of-all-time#/slide/1

What Marvel has going for them is sheer output compared to most other studios since Iron Man. That, and they found a winning formula that they are sticking with for the most part in all of their movies.
edit: besides being mostly formulatic, they do tend to have a much higher quality control going on compared to the other studios as well. Having the funding that they have though can't hurt either.

I'd also argue that it has more to do with who is being shown, and not by whom. Why else do you think Batman v Superman made as much as it did, despite being so bad? It could have made much more than that if word of mouth and bad pressed had not prevented it after the first week or so. I'd be surprised if Suicide Squad breaks even 100 million. Primarily because they are for the most part an unknown group of characters and then secondarily because the people that actually did go to see it (and end up thinking it sucks) will tell those that are undecided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom