• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Reliable entertainment.

I don't get to go see a ton of movies in the theater so I have to choose wisely. MCU stuff reliably entertains both my wife and I.

Why that is specifically? I can't say.

Same with my wife and I. It's like an event. But the majority of our entertainment these days is on TV-we have so much quality content that we've watched recently like Bloodline, Stranger Things, Mr. Robot, Marcella, River, etc-we have no need to go see a random movie. It's either going to be a big superhero movie or taking our kid to see a kids movie.

3N16MA

Banned
Well, he has a point. I've never seen someone criticize a Marvel movie on these boards.

You need to look harder.

Marvel generally makes a decent film that most people like. However I have seen plenty of criticism. The Thor films get shitted on and IM2 and IM3 usually are split. No one cares about Hulk while Cap 1 takes some heat.

RotBot

First tickets to Warcraft and now this given away the on T-Mobile Tuesday app. Is any future movie being offered there going to be an indicator of very poor early tracking results?

Sanctuary

You need to look harder.

Marvel generally makes a decent film that most people like. However I have seen plenty of criticism. The Thor films get shitted on and IM2 and IM3 usually are split. No one cares about Hulk while Cap 1 takes some heat.

You just listed all of, and the only Marvel films that I have zero desire to watch again. The Winter Soldier actually surprised me. A lot.

jmood88

This is entirely true, but they also seem to have a higher quality control in general. Deadpool proved that you can take risks and still make a huge amount of money though.

DC just needs someone other than a director that's too busy wanting to make overly long and overly stylized music videos than actual movies. The Nolan Trilogy (mainly the first two movies) and the first two Superman movies are the only DC based films that I can think of that actually ever did anything for the universe.
If people go as reductionist with Deadpool as they do with Marvel movies, then you can create a formula, too. Guy is introduced, gets powers, alienates love interest in second act, then fights to get her back, complete with giant CGI destruction set piece, then beats the villain and gets the girl. When you reduce things to that level, then nothing looks like a risk or a different take and the MCU detractors frequently to prove that there's a formula. If there was truly a formula to guarantees financial and critical success, then you wouldn't see studios like Warner, Sony, and Fox struggle to get their own universes off the ground.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I can't trust any of the posts in here. You guys are confusing me.

It's hard to trust anything on the Internet really.

FzVYanC.png

Harmen

Man, I wish DC just started with a Batman flick by Afleck following MoS and built the DCCU from there.

I feel this whole project is tainted at this point. Even if WW does turn out to be this first decent to good film in this cinematic universe, it has to fight against the perception of three "rotten" films preceding it. And if WW leads to a significant boost, Snyder under WB management will make sure to pulvurize it with his JL. That isn't doing Batman, my favourite superhero, any favours at all.

Also, SS is now 32% at RT.

TheFatOne

So I haven't read the reviews yet. Can someone point me to a review of how the Joker was in this movie. I don't really have a bunch of interest in this other than seeing the new Joker. Had a feeling this would be a trainwreck.

So I haven't read the reviews yet. Can someone point me to a review of how the Joker was in this movie. I don't really have a bunch of interest in this other than seeing the new Joker. Had a feeling this would be a trainwreck.

From what I've been reading he's in like 5% of the movie? Correct me if I'm wrong someone

Salsa

It's hard to trust anything on the Internet really.

FzVYanC.png

these people fascinate me in the sense that I kinda wanna be present when they see an actual "deep" and "intellectual" film

or any sort of story / something expressed through an artistic medium that warrants a widely accepted you know.. connection, or meaning

his mind must fuckin explode

Papacheeks

Banned

He's in it for like 10+ minutes and a lot of what we see in the trailers is cut from the film.

Go in with low expectations and you might enjoy it, coming soon.net actually put up their review and loved it apparently.

I say make your own judgement on it.

3N16MA

Banned
Really doesn't matter where SS ends up on RT at this point. It's beyond repair and seen as shit by most critics.

WB has to hope that audiences don't care and the film does solid numbers at the BO.

TheFatOne

From what I've been reading he's in like 5% of the movie? Correct me if I'm wrong someone

I figured as much. I was hoping he wouldn't be complete trash at least in the short amount of time he's in there. Still can't get past that look, and casting.

He's in it for like 10+ minutes and a lot of what we see in the trailers is cut from the film.

Go in with low expectations and you might enjoy it, coming soon.net actually put up their review and loved it apparently.

I say make your own judgement on it.
I'm going in with beyond low expectations.

wachie

Really doesn't matter where SS ends up on RT at this point. It's beyond repair and seen as shit by most critics.

WB has to hope that audiences don't care and the film does solid numbers at the BO.
It'll open well like BvS, beyond that .. SS may be the first 200M movie of this year.

Kibbles

He's in it like 10min max and they clearly cut scenes. I thought he was amazing. Captivating, mob-boss like, crude, funny, intimidating, a lot of qualities and my favorite on screen joker shown yet. But he doesn't have as much impact as the others because he is in way too short and is only a small side character to further Harley's story. BUT exciting things are coming is all I got to say, it's a great tease for what we're in for.

also:
EIOf3SW.jpg

Kibbles

How many reviews have you read? The ones I have read all say the Joker is bad.

Mainly watching reviews from the youtube crowd Stuckman, I'm down for what the actual comic book movie fans say not some newspaper geezers. Plus I saw the movie myself before this shitstorm so I haven't paid much mind to the reviews since I've formed my own opinion already.

Jon Schnepp also says Leto rivals Heath and Jack as the Joker

Experien

Mainly watching reviews from the youtube crowd Stuckman, I'm down for what the actual comic book movie fans say not some newspaper geezers. Plus I saw the movie myself before this shitstorm so I haven't paid much mind to the reviews since I've formed my own opinion already.

I wouldn't say the Joker was necessarily bad, he was just a toned down Heath Ledger who wanted to do Mark Hamill's voice.

Honestly, there wasn't enough screen time for him to really see if he was a good Joker or not unless you want to base it on looks and actions he did (not mannerisms like HOW he did stuff or talked).

Schlorgan

these people fascinate me in the sense that I kinda wanna be present when they see an actual "deep" and "intellectual" film

or any sort of story / something expressed through an artistic medium that warrants a widely accepted you know.. connection, or meaning

his mind must fuckin explode

Is he one of the people that hated Fury Road because Max wasn't the main character? That's what I really want to know. That would be very telling.

Papacheeks

Banned

Was this you when watching Joker in Suicide squad:

4JFHiYg.gif

HotHamBoy

Not sure if posted, but Grace Randolph went over some stuff that was cut in her spoiler review:

https://youtu.be/0xx8BJd0rts?t=2m32s

Crazy. So many shots and scenes that were prominently featured in trailers aren't in the movie, primarily Leto.

This is an interesting critique. I had no interest in seeing the movie but as a casual bat-fan it's sad to see WB repeatedly get it so wrong.

Based on this video I doubt I could get through 15 minutes of this.

It's really weird how upset and defensive the DC fans are when it comes to Marvel. Why can't a person be a fan of both?

Why can't people understand that a bad movie is a bad movie? Hell, a lot of the Marvel films are pretty shit.

I don't understand the "fanboys will like anything" thing, because shouldn't they be the most discerning and demanding audience? Are they just going to like a movie because of the license, regardless of how the brand is treated?

Even as a casual DC fan (mostly animation stuff) I'm just consistently appalled at how badly they mangled my favorite characters, I can't imagine how mad I'd be if I were a dedicated comics fan from childhood.

Maxim726X

I figured as much. I was hoping he wouldn't be complete trash at least in the short amount of time he's in there. Still can't get past that look, and casting.

I'm going in with beyond low expectations.

I tried this method with BvS. It didn't work.

Somehow, that movie exceeded my already low expectations.

SilentRob

I just came back from the European premiere in germany (and holy fuck, was that a boring shitshow in and on itself). It's a really bad, boring movie but what I'm most amazed by is how completely and utterly boring, needless and detached The Joker is from everything. He had absolutely no reason to be in this movie.

Just as that guy who can throw Boomerangs real good, Katana, the guy who was really good at climbing and Killer Croc. I do not understand why they are in this movie. They don't do anything, are utterly and completely useless for what they are supposed to do and say a combined amount of 10 lines. Katana may also be the lamest, most cliched superhero I have ever seen in my life the way she was portrayed in this.

Also, almost every scene had a track you get by googling "Cool music for cool people" inserted on top of it, no matter if it was a fun or sad scene..
"Hey guys, there's nothing cool happening in this scene, we need something cool, fast!"
"Uuuuuuuh, what about Seven Nation Army, wasn't that cool at some point?"
"I dunno, just slap it on, alright, next Scene! What now?"
"K...Kanye West?"
"Awesome, next one!"
"UUuuuuuuuh, Eminem?"
"NEXT ONE"
"OH GOD UH EMINEM AGAIN?"
"PERFECT"

I dont remember this try hard ass standoff bullshit between DC and Marvel movies back when both Avengers and TDK series were BOTH killing and doing well.

Just saying

Feels alot like the friction started when DC started shitting out movies people didn't like. The 'competition' got lopsided and fanboys went to work on both sides.

Man..I remember when I lived in a world where I had a Batman and Iron Man movie that had me and my peeps squealing! Being amazed that crazy ass Robert Downey was PERFECT for Iron Man. That one of my favorite actors AND directors were working on the BATMAN franchise! What the hell happened?

Batman Begins>Iron Man, btw..both are on my favorites list.

Well, he has a point. I've never seen someone criticize a Marvel movie on these boards.

DUDE..I criticize those fucking awful Thor and the first Cap movie all the damn time, as do others. Maybe you just don't want to see it? I'm not trying to diss, but some..no, a ton of people like to pick their "team" and see nothing but negative from the other..

They should have went with ROTTEN

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom