• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long is Batfleck in this film btw? I hear Joker is in it for about 10 minutes but Batman seems to be like a very small cameo? So not like Spider-Man in Civil War, for example (I swear I read somewhere that it was comparable in early reports).

He's in it maybe a min and a half total in two flashback scenes.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
"Ha ha ha! What a story, Dent!"

For a real, Tommy line:

"Ha ha ha! What a story, Dent!"

beat

"Anyway, how's your sex life?"

Darcy is great and her absence from Thor 3 is a tragedy

you think I'm joking but I'm actually not

I love Darcy. Although I could be blinded by my love of Kat Dennings. She should have been Thor's love sidekick. I think their natural comedic charms would have bounced off of each other nicely, and we'd have had a really fun Thor movie. I actually really liked Thor 1 (I guess because I went into it with the lowest of expectations, but even on a rewatch, it was a good time). Thor 2 was forgettable, but not garbage. Just a mediocre, passing movie. "Meow Meow!" call back still makes me laugh.

(If you're a secret lurker, Kat, dump that chump, Josh Groban and get with this real hero. I may not have the voice of an angel, and hilarious comedic timing, but that's never going to get him anywhere! My wife will understand our love, honest!)

Jamie OD

I just came back from the European premiere in germany (and holy fuck, was that a boring shitshow in and on itself). It's a really bad, boring movie but what I'm most amazed by is how completely and utterly boring, needless and detached The Joker is from everything. He had absolutely no reason to be in this movie.

Just as that guy who can throw Boomerangs real good, Katana, the guy who was really good at climbing and Killer Croc. I do not understand why they are in this movie. They don't do anything, are utterly and completely useless for what they are supposed to do and say a combined amount of 10 lines. Katana may also be the lamest, most cliched superhero I have ever seen in my life the way she was portrayed in this.

Also, almost every scene had a track you get by googling "Cool music for cool people" inserted on top of it, no matter if it was a fun or sad scene..
"Hey guys, there's nothing cool happening in this scene, we need something cool, fast!"
"Uuuuuuuh, what about Seven Nation Army, wasn't that cool at some point?"
"I dunno, just slap it on, alright, next Scene! What now?"
"K...Kanye West?"
"Awesome, next one!"
"UUuuuuuuuh, Eminem?"
"NEXT ONE"
"OH GOD UH EMINEM AGAIN?"
"PERFECT"

It has probably the most uninspired soundtrack use in recent history. There's nothing original about using House of the Rising Sun in a jail scene. Oh & it's not like I heard Spirit In The Sky, Sympathy For The Devil or Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap in a dozen other movies during my lifetime.

Fat4all

Banned
The One and Done™;212399866 said:
Is this thread meant to house reviews? Are we allowed to post or own thoughts on the film?

You can post impression here or in the OT, both are fine.

Make sure you don't spoil stuff, tho.

ZoddGutts

This thread actually spawned a Marvel critique thread..nothing crazy about that..

media-gif-4.gif

DC fanboys always digging deep when things don't go their way. Gotta pull out that Thor 2 card.

RDreamer

DC fanboys always digging deep when things don't go their way. Gotta pull out that Thor 2 card.

I'm gonna keep playing my Thor 1 card!

Too afraid to even watch Thor 2... the first one was one of the worst movies I can recall seeing. I can't even imagine how it could be worse.

Actually pretty funny compared to the chris evan stuff which I think got old by the time BvS's run was finished.

Anyway still going to check this movie out, I keep hearing good things about boomerang who I wanted to be good.

Thor 2 is only disappointing to me in that Thor is the coolest marvel character and the films are terrible in their take of him. We should have had Beta Ray Bill by now.

kswiston

Someone needs to make a flowchart for the progression of comic film discussions on GAF. Just have all paths leading to Thor 2 at the bottom.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm gonna keep playing my Thor 1 card!

Too afraid to even watch Thor 2... the first one was one of the worst movies I can recall seeing. I can't even imagine how it could be worse.

You can't just walk into a store and grab Thor 2. They keep it behind the counter with the other powerful sleep aids.

Reviews haven't really dissuaded me from seeing this in theaters. Figure I'll go on Friday morning, watch this for the first time and Star Trek Beyond for a second time. At least the runtime isn't overly obnoxious like BvS and I won't feel like 3 hours of my life have been wasted.

You can't just walk into a store and grab Thor 2. They keep it behind the counter with the other powerful sleep aids.

Reviews haven't really dissuaded me from seeing this in theaters. Figure I'll go on Friday morning, watch this for the first time and Star Trek Beyond for a second time. At least the runtime isn't overly obnoxious like BvS and I won't feel like 3 hours of my life have been wasted.

I had Thor 2 injected directly into my ass and I didn't wake up for a month. Lost my job and everything.

You can post impression here or in the OT, both are fine.

Make sure you don't spoil stuff, tho.

Ok. In all I thought it wasn't a bad movie but it wasn't a great movie. It had potential but I feel it didn't captilize on things that I thought it should. Characters I wanted to see more of, I didn't. It left me wanting. It also was edited very poorly at times IMO.

On the flipside it had some cool moments moreso character related than action. But again, disjointed editing. Also it does the thing again where they show most of the best parts in the trailer.

I wantedt this movie to be phenomenal. I wanted it to be the villain version of Gaurdians so to speak. But in all, I felt the film was a disappointment.

It has probably the most uninspired soundtrack use in recent history. There's nothing original about using House of the Rising Sun in a jail scene. Oh & it's not like I heard Spirit In The Sky, Sympathy For The Devil or Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap in a dozen other movies during my lifetime.

Wait, Spirit in the Sky is actually used in this movie?!

game-boi

I'm always confused as to why people use The Room's Rotten Tomato rating as a barometer of a bad movie. If all bad movies were as entertaining and hilarious as The Room, we'd be living in a better world. Artist intent be damned, I wish that Suicide Squad could make me cry from laughing so hard, or inspire a cult audience, or tempt me to attend monthly midnight screenings, etc.

If we want to make real comparisons, why not compare it with something universally panned that also has no redeeming value whatsoever?

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I hope Croc is good in this movie because I've been a big fan of Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje since his role in
Thor: The Dark World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom