• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand the "fanboys will like anything" thing, because shouldn't they be the most discerning and demanding audience? Are they just going to like a movie because of the license, regardless of how the brand is treated?

Even as a casual DC fan (mostly animation stuff) I'm just consistently appalled at how badly they mangled my favorite characters, I can't imagine how mad I'd be if I were a dedicated comics fan from childhood.
I mean, there's a difference between fans and fanboys. I think when people talk about fanboys we usually think of people who are "blinded" by their love of some property.

fYa3V3Q.png

43 in metacritic, meaning that right it's below BvS there
My god, we've crossed into the singularity.

Fhtagn

One thing I learned from this thread is that people severely underrate the 1966 Batman film. It's not going to be to everyone's taste but if the vibe it's going for appeals to you it is pretty much flawless. A very funny film with good pacing and a commitment to straight-faced ridiculousness.

Tansut

One thing I learned from this thread is that people severely underrate the 1966 Batman film. It's not going to be to everyone's taste but if the vibe it's going for appeals to you it is pretty much flawless. A very funny film with good pacing and a commitment to straight-faced ridiculousness.
The Adam West era on the whole is pretty underrated these days.

Lothars

Yup it's the second best batman movie next to the 1989 Batman. There's nothing like the Adam West Batman series, it's so good.

Yup it's the second best batman movie next to the 1989 Batman. There's nothing like the Adam West Batman series, it's so good.

It's a classic. Probably catch it every other year..

NOOOO!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Damn right. 66 Batman is a delight.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

People who don't like Batman 66 are soulless. The movie is hilarious and is totally self aware about what it is.

I grew up watching that series (reruns) and I just love it. Back then as a kid I thought it was the best and now as an adult I can't stop laughing at it and I feel I like it even more for that.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
'66 Batman is indeed awesome.

I recently bought the complete series on Blu Ray for my wife, because it was discounted awesomely on Amazon, and it's been a hoot watching it over the past few weeks. I remember catching bits of it in syndication as a kid, but it always came on when I was at school, so I almost never got to see the second half of any story line. Now I finally can! I think we're only on disc two or three at the moment. I still need to buy the movie though. For some reason, I don't own it, but I do think it's on Netflix.

boiled goose

good with gravy
That is not true at all. I have seen plenty of criticisms against Iron Man 2 and 3, Captain America, Avengers 1 and 2, Thor 1 and 2.

Fanboy confirmation bias at it's worst.
There is a lot of criticism of marvel movies here.

Want two big general ones?
Cookie cutter origin stories.
Overuse of villians that are just bad versions of protagonists.

Movies can succeed despite flaws. Antman had both of these to an extent but it was well executed and original enough so it was enjoyable.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
DUDE..I criticize those fucking awful Thor and the first Cap movie all the damn time, as do others. Maybe you just don't want to see it? I'm not trying to diss, but some..no, a ton of people like to pick their "team" and see nothing but negative from the other..

I was being sarcastic. Marvel movies are criticized highly in every comic book movie thread (including this one). Hell, Thor: The Dark World has to be one of our most talked about movies lol.

Man I enjoy the Dc films and the marvel films but discussing them has become such fanboy wars that have become exausting.

folks treat Feige and the dc folks like they generally are bad people, when in reality they are just doing their jobs. I have no idea where all this venom came from.

Man I enjoy the Dc films and the marvel films but discussing them has become such fanboy wars that have become exausting.

folks treat Feige and the dc folks like they generally are bad people, when in reality they are just doing their jobs. I have no idea where all this venom came from.

They want each other to succeed too. One of them tanking serves no good purpose.

I was being sarcastic. Marvel movies are criticized highly in every comic book movie thread (including this one). Hell, Thor: The Dark World has to be one of our most talked about movies lol.

Oh, thank GAWD! I always scratch my head when folks claim no one goes after Marvel..like, what? Almost every best list makes me laugh. Opinions, sure..but Captain America - The First Avenger being top 5 for some? The love for Kat Dennings in FUCKING THOR!?

nXQlEK.gif

It is a shame movie talk adopted the behavior of video game consoles. I'd say it is a byproduct of adapting DC and Marvel properties, but in truth there's more civility there. Reckon it's the lower barrier of entry with these films.

I think the people that deduced that the poor reception (by some) of MoS started it are correct..I can't remember it being this weird before..

Slaythe

Just saw this.

It's a bad movie.

But it has some good parts.

Harley was mostly great.

Joker wasn't bad either, with some changes he'd be fantastic. For people that know Hunter X Hunter, the Chrollo vibes are real.

Harmen

How long is Batfleck in this film btw? I hear Joker is in it for about 10 minutes but Batman seems to be like a very small cameo? So not like Spider-Man in Civil War, for example (I swear I read somewhere that it was comparable in early reports).

Oh, thank GAWD! I always scratch my head when folks claim no one goes after Marvel..like, what? Almost every best list makes me laugh. Opinions, sure..but Captain America - The First Avenger being top 5 for some? The love for Kat Dennings in FUCKING THOR!?

nXQlEK.gif

Are you telling me those pro-Darcy posts I see every now and then are not sarcasm/meme stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom