• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, 24 hours left until my showing.

I need to get myself a tiny bit hyped back up after all this. What are the positives we can glean from reviews? I know a lot of people on here praised Leto's Joker...so...there's that, right?

Down to 31% now. How low can it go?

image.php

Harmen

So I'm kinda thinking about box office hold here

It's easy to think that SS will follow the same drop as BvS due to poor reviews, but what else is out in the near future for people to watch instead?

I'm not saying that WB should be rewarded for their incompetence, but maybe this might end up with a decent BO take?

Maybe I am forgetting something, but didn't BvS also lack any competition in it's first weeks? (during which it dropped massively).

Azerth

So I'm kinda thinking about box office hold here

It's easy to think that SS will follow the same drop as BvS due to poor reviews, but what else is out in the near future for people to watch instead?

I'm not saying that WB should be rewarded for their incompetence, but maybe this might end up with a decent BO take?

Didnt people say the same thing with bvs and it still dropped big

one thing i dont really like about leto's joker is the way he does his lipstick

idk something about it is very maybelline or something :x

i love jared leto though, so im looking forward to when he will butt heads with ben affleck's batman in the solo batman movie that will save dc

For reals though, apparently Big Willy delivers, big time. So there's that.

I think Jungle Book launched close after BvS, no?

When did Zootopia release? I believe that was still fairly popular around BvS's release
Jungle Book if I'm not mistaken came out 3 weeks after BVS.

Next week for SS competition is Pete's Dragon and Sasuage Party.

I need to get myself a tiny bit hyped back up after all this. What are the positives we can glean from reviews? I know a lot of people on here praised Leto's Joker...so...there's that, right?

From what I read:

-Deadshot is good

-Harley is good

-Diablo is good

-Waller is good

Basically, great characters stuck in a shit movie.

Cuburt

-There is pop music
-It's colorful
-The characters that get dialog may be cool for you; ie. maybe you like Margot Robbie and Will Smith
-It has some fun with the origin stories, then it turns pretty typical mid-grade superhero fare
- Batman for 10 seconds
- Bad words!
- Guns!
- They mention Superman

There is an actual movie named Suicide Squad? And here all this time I thought that was just the industry code name these days for WB's DC film division.

Even if it opens to 115M that would be considered great. That is 20M more than GotG and better than most predicted a couple months ago.

New August record.

Given word of mouth, I think it might have just a 2.0 multiplier or a little over like 2.1, so $120 x 2.1 = 250 DOM, so far under GoTG where it belongs.

Idk how much international appeal this movie has, but I don't think it's getting $500m OS.

Why? Not doing well isn't going to get WB to reboot it. It's going to convince them DC isn't an avenue worth pursuing.

A shit movie doesn't deserve to do well. If anything, it might convince WB that studio meddling is never a solution.

let's hope suicide squad doesn't do well

How much can the 140 OW be dropped given reviews?

Let's just not hope for films to tank because we may or may not personally like them.

Anyways, OW tracking beyond $100 is pretty shaky, if the forecast is sitting at 140 I'd say 115 is your floor with it likely ending up somewhere between 130-150 depending on how good audience word of mouth and buzz is (this stuff is HUGELY important these days)

3N16MA

Banned
Given word of mouth, I think it might have just a 2.0 multiplier or a little over like 2.1, so $120 x 2.1 = 250 DOM, so far under GoTG where it belongs.

Idk how much international appeal this movie has, but I don't think it's getting $500m OS.

That multiplier would barely be better than BvS. Seems possible considering this is getting thrashed just as heavily.

We will see if audiences disagree with the critics a bit more than they did with BvS. The only way it will have better legs.

thequestion

Due to the bad reception this film is getting, is it too late for WB to quickly release the original cut of the film to the theaters instead?

Learning that the current cut of the film has lots of cliche pop music peppered throughout, has made me a very depressed fanboy.

That multiplier would barely be better than BvS. Seems possible considering this is getting thrashed just as heavily.

We will see if audiences disagree with the critics a bit more than they did with BvS. The only way it will have better legs.

Yeah, I gave it a better multiplier though given it is a by-the-numbers action film with sprinkles of comedy and whatnot, which makes it more digestible for the average moviegoer. But Joker being in it for just 10 minutes is bound to spread and turn a lot of people off from going.

tomtom94

Up until the review score dipped below BvS I was thinking this could be saved by audiences thinking it's alright.

...I'm going to stick with that prediction, but I'm a lot less confident now.

tbh hugo's voice and elocution has always been his draws

mads is more his subtle but sophisticated facial expressions

imo
I see what you mean. I really like Mads' voice in Hannibal and figured he could do a great job. He's already in Dr Strange though, so there's no way he'll be re-cast as another high-profile Marvel character.

Chris Pine is a solid actor, it's is a period piece, Patty Jenkins last film was well received (13 years ago). Maybe critics will like it.

I really don't have much more to add.

I just looked it up - she didn't do anything since Monster?? I had no idea.

Did she just take a huge break from movies?

I just looked it up - she didn't do anything since Monster?? I had no idea.

Did she just take a huge break from movies?

She's a woman and she got into a dispute with a major studio (marvel/Disney) over a movie. Odds were not in her favor.

Hopefully she isn't rusty. Wonder Woman trailer looked like a pretty decent romp.

Donthizz#

Just watched it. it's better than that boring shit show BvS. awful AWFUL writing and directing just makes it " meh "

acting was really good though. hope they do this again with a different Director/Writer

Chris Pine is a solid actor, it's a period piece, Patty Jenkins last film was well received (13 years ago). Maybe critics will like it.

I really don't have much more to add.

What else has this Gal (😎) been in? Anything noteworthy? Only seen her in BvS, so I don't have much to go on..

3N16MA

Banned
She's a woman and she got into a dispute with a major studio (marvel/Disney) over a movie. Odds were not in her favor.

Hopefully she isn't rusty. Wonder Woman trailer looked like a pretty decent romp.

I knew she was supposed to direct Thor 2.

Still seems like a long layoff between projects. I'm guessing she wanted it that way rather than not getting offers.

3N16MA

Banned
Looking at Gadot's filmography and I find out she was in Triple 9. Never seen the film but it has a solid cast. Dud at the BO.

Chiwetel Ejiofor
Casey Affleck
Kate Winslet
Woody Harrelson
Anthony Mackie
Aaron Paul
Norman Reedus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom