• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mad Max's GOATness alone makes up for 2015. 2017 will have Dunkirk and Apes (and rian johnson star wars).

Maybe one or two of the dc and marvel flicks end up being decent too. likely guardians 2. no hope for thor.

Mad Max stole the soul of every other blockbuster that year.

For superhero films, I found every one this year more entertaining than any last year. Still have to see Suicide Squad and Doctor Strange.

Spider-Man is my hope for next year, now that we know the Vacation writers aren't the sole writing credits.

wachie

I actually liked AoU and JW, didn't see Spectre, but TFA was great too so 2015 was still an excellent year for me. 2016 has been a huge dud for blockbusters though

2017 is indeed looking pretty hopeful

John Wick 2
Lego Batman
The Dark Tower
Kong: Skull Island
Beauty and the Beast
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
Fast 8
Wonder Woman
The Mummy
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Dunkirk
War for the Planet of the Apes
Alien: Covenant
Bladerunner 2
Thor: Ragnarok
Justice League
Star Wars Episode VIII

So even if WW and/or JL disappoint there should be at least a couple of those that turn out well
Lose Fast 8 and maybe Kong (WB) and it's decent.

JL for the lulz.

John Wick 2
The Dark Tower
Dunkirk
Bladerunner 2
Star Wars Episode VIII

super hyped for these ones. 2017 looking deadly. not sure on the compton guy making fast 8 but i am hyped for furiosa and the ice chase sequence they've been filming.

Mad Max stole the soul of every other blockbuster that year.

For superhero films, I found every one this year more entertaining than any last year. Still have to see Suicide Squad and Doctor Strange.

definitely agree with that, easily.

This. I don't get it. Like shit, maybe it'll blow us all away with how amazing it is, but absolutely nobody should be going in expecting Gadot to light the screen on fire. Or do people expect it to be good despite the lead?
Asking a movie to be good despite the lead just seems like quite the task.

I can't remember the last movie that I thought was good even though it had a wooden spoon for a protagonist. But maybe Gadot has some acting chops that I haven't seen yet.

¯|_(ツ)_|¯
People look forward to a Affleck film.

Dark times we live in.
I mean, I'm looking forward to Affleck more than Gadot. Not saying much perhaps, but still.

This. I don't get it. Like shit, maybe it'll blow us all away with how amazing it is, but absolutely nobody should be going in expecting Gadot to light the screen on fire. Or do people expect it to be good despite the lead?

I think this should be the case for most sane people. I'm not sure Gal is bad enough to actually ruin a movie, but I certainly don't think she's capable of carrying one.

That said, I would LOVE to be proven wrong. At this point my entire faith in that project lies with Jenkins and Johns

Emojimovie Express Yourself is 2017's film to beat.

Opening the same day as a Chips reboot with Michael Pena playing the Erik Estrada role haha.

Bad Boys 3? Martin Lawrence's comeback from Big Mommas House 3.

This.

Patty Jenkins is an oscar-tier director and could make shit gold.

Gadot isn't shit, so this will probably be gold (or at least a shiny bronze)

2015 was great, 2016, not so much. 2015 had:

Sicario
Mad Max: Fury Road
Avengers: Age of Ultron :D
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Spotlight
Ex Machina
Inside Out
It Follows
The Hateful Eight
Slow West
Beasts of No Nation
Cinderella
The Gift
99 Homes
The Martian
etc

His brother is a far superior actor but Affleck aint bad. Just made bad choices. Gone Girl was a great comeback for him though as was his directing career.

J_Viper

Jungle Book if I'm not mistaken came out 3 weeks after BVS.

Next week for SS competition is Pete's Dragon and Sasuage Party.

Sausage Party can do well, but I don't see Pete's Dragon being at all successful.

But yeah, the former could certainly eat into SS's take next week

Suicide Squad is 100% the surprise critical flop of the year.

No way, it's gotta be Bourne

Greengrass coming off Captain Phillips, Damon off The Martian, and being a sequel to one of the finest action movies ever, i would've bet good money that would've been a guaranteed success

BumRush

I actually liked AoU and JW, didn't see Spectre, but TFA was great too so 2015 was still an excellent year for me. 2016 has been a huge dud for blockbusters though

2017 is indeed looking pretty hopeful

John Wick 2
Lego Batman
The Dark Tower
Kong: Skull Island
Beauty and the Beast
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
Fast 8
Wonder Woman
The Mummy
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Dunkirk
Alien: Covenant
Bladerunner 2
Thor: Ragnarok
Justice League
Star Wars Episode VIII

So even if WW and/or JL disappoint there should be at least a couple of those that turn out well

Drrrrroooooooooolllllll

That lineup is ridiculous

Greengrass coming off Captain Phillips, Damon off The Martian, and being a sequel to one of the finest action movies ever, i would've bet good money that would've been a guaranteed success

yeah...I was counting on that movie saving the summer :(

funnily enough I think I liked Star Trek Beyond and...Warcraft the most out of the big summer movies. Both films I've been shitting on since the trailer came out.

I think this should be the case for most sane people. I'm not sure Gal is bad enough to actually ruin a movie, but I certainly don't think she's capable of carrying one.

That said, I would LOVE to be proven wrong. At this point my entire faith in that project lies with Jenkins and Johns

This.

Patty Jenkins is an oscar-tier director and could make shit gold.

Gadot isn't shit, so this will probably be gold (or at least a shiny bronze)

Well, if that's the view, then I guess continue on and keep your fingers crossed. But I'm not exactly hopeful.

His brother is a far superior actor but Affleck aint bad. Just made bad choices. Gone Girl was a great comeback for him though as was his directing career.

I'm weird about Gone Girl and Fincher's recent work in general. I don't know what it is. Pacing maybe? I thought it was a great script with strong performances, but Gone Girl felt like it was 4 hours long. I feel the same way about Zodiac and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

Was he ever considered a bad actor though? Or just an actor who's always in really bad movies? (which led to him being avoided like box office poison)

Basically for a while, his career was judged solely based on how terrible Gigli and Daredevil were. It didn't matter that he directed and starred in better movies after, those two movies were what people were defining his career as.

Warcraft being my favorite movie of the summer so far is hilarious because I don't even think it's that good but it has such a goofy charm to it I can't help but like it.

Warcraft being my favorite movie of the summer so far is hilarious because I don't even think it's that good but it has such a goofy charm to it I can't help but like it.

no doubt, it's not that good a movie (certainly not as competently made as civil war for instance). but it's so earnest in it's goofy video game-ness that i can't help but like it.

i didn't expect to enjoy it as much as i did.

guek

Banned
I wonder at this point if DC is has done more to invoke comicbook movie fatigue in one year than Marvel has with their high volume output. Hopefully Dr. Strange acts as a palate cleanser much like Ant-Man did last year after AoU

Oersted

Affleck was great in Dazed and Confused.

He works on the level the movie is at. He sleepwalks in shit and works when it's good.

He sleepwalked trough Argo.

He actually tried in Daredevil.

Take that however you want.

Affleck works in comedy roles. To a certain degree.

Not sure how that will work considering the movie is rumored to use Arkham Asylum game setting.
You can still have the oppressive and cynical feel in that setting
He sleepwalked trough Argo.

He actually tried in Daredevil.

Take that however you want.

Affleck works in comedy roles. To a certain degree.
I didn't care for Argo so I found his unremarkable performance fitting for that movie. I barely remember Daredevil.

I haven't personally seen it yet, but I'm surprised that movie ended up being poorly received. The director's previous films (Moon and Source Code) were legit good movies.

You can still have the oppressive and cynical feel in that setting

even moreso. I think BvS' first batman scene got the atmosphere right. give me a whole batman movie like that but set in arkham asylum and it would be godly. very creepy, fincher-esque lighting.

i think he should be looking at silence of the lambs too if he's setting it in the asylum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom