• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another movie edited to hell and hurt by a case setupitis (they literally decided to just not give it an ending)

I really wish studios would just let films stand on their own, at least for a "first" film in a potential franchise. It's always a bad look when you plan for sequels that never get made because you tried to tease too much in the previous film. Only Marvel seems able to pull off the "episodic" film format (as far as critical/commercial success goes).

I wonder at this point if DC is has done more to invoke comicbook movie fatigue in one year than Marvel has with their high volume output. Hopefully Dr. Strange acts as a palate cleanser much like Ant-Man did last year after AoU

Strange looks so radically different from any other comic movie that as long as it's good I thing the doors are open for it to do big number considering most of the comic films this year really were rather weak

This year has literally just been Zootopia, Civil War and Star Trek for me.

I expect WW to be higher on RT (maybe mid-50's) but i don't know that it'll be Fresh.

If RT is still around, that is. XP

You should at least check out Hunt for the Wilderpeople and The Nice Guys.

I wonder at this point if DC is has done more to invoke comicbook movie fatigue in one year than Marvel has with their high volume output. Hopefully Dr. Strange acts as a palate cleanser much like Ant-Man did last year after AoU

I agree, I think Feige and co should be worried. The general public puts DC and Marvel in the same boat so they could start just skipping the genre wholesale.

PsychBat!

Banned
People pinning their hopes on a movie with Gadot's acting as the centerpiece.

Baby-Laughing-Hard-and-Falls-Over.gif
It's honestly laughable.

I agree, I think Feige and co should be worried. The general public puts DC and Marvel in the same boat so they could start just skipping the genre wholesale.

Nah, I think Marvel Studios has done a great job of marketing their brand. Maybe general audiences aren't on the up and up about every single CBM that comes out, but I think at least at this point, they're wise enough to distinguish "MCU" and "other."

guek

Banned
I really wish studios would just let films stand on their own, at least for a "first" film in a potential franchise. It's always a bad look when you plan for sequels that never get made because you tried to tease too much in the previous film. Only Marvel seems able to pull off the "episodic" film format (as far as critical/commercial success goes).

Marvel eased audiences into their format, I think that's something the WB execs fail to realize. I'm not talking about requiring set up movies for every character either. Something like Civil War would have been impossible to digest in phase 1. It would have been rejected completely. The world building Marvel did in phase 1 was subtle enough to make each movie feel like it's working independently in a bigger world rather than cramming this huge universe into the forefront like they've done with the DCEU.

Think about "Fury's Big Week" as a concept. Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, and the recovery of Captain America all occur in the same week with much of the timeline overlapping. That might sound like they were trying to put the focus on the cinematic universe rather than the character stories but Fury's Big Week is something that happens in the background. It's not the focus at all! Instead, they used the timing of events to isolate each movie and then had Coulson and Fury peppered throughout to interlock the universe. That way, people who were paying attention felt like they were getting an extra pay-off while people who weren't didn't even notice the Easter eggs tying the universe together. And then of course Avengers came in and really sold the whole cinematic universe concept. Sequel bait didn't really become a problem until Age of Ultron, and much of that was a product of studio meddling as well.

It felt like DC was going to do something similar after MoS but then they just dove in head on in BvS without really thinking about how teasers should work in the context of stand alone films. Apocalypse also had this problem with how they overtly used Phoenix in a movie that wasn't about the Phoenix Force to begin with. Contrast that with X2 where Jean's death hints at something more for the fans but doesn't bonk you over the head with "THIS IS IMPORTANT. THIS WILL BE IN FUTURE MOVIES." Marvel has only done this twice, really, with AoU and Civil War. The latter only gets away with it because it's a better movie and also because it wasn't as clumsy as AoU with its hot tub Thor machine.

jmood88

If BvS taught me anything, it's that Gal is at her best when she's silent or kicking ass

Hopefully they can pull that off with the solo WW film. Hide her weaknesses, push her strengths.
They can't give her only 5 minute of screen time, so all the Wonder Woman fans better hope that she has taken some acting lessons.

wachie

I'm weird about Gone Girl and Fincher's recent work in general. I don't know what it is. Pacing maybe? I thought it was a great script with strong performances, but Gone Girl felt like it was 4 hours long. I feel the same way about Zodiac and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.
How do you like the Social Network?

I'm out of town and was talking to my girlfriend 30 min ago on the phone and she (she works at a menal health clinic) goes "yea i'm seeing suicide squad this friday, it's the new marvel one". One of her clients very silently goes "excuse me, it's not marvel, it's DC, you shouldn't confuse the two". I think it's here and there what the public knows but I think it's growing.

I'm gonna keep playing my Thor 1 card!

Too afraid to even watch Thor 2... the first one was one of the worst movies I can recall seeing. I can't even imagine how it could be worse.

Honestly, I hate Thor 1 a lot, but thought Thor 2 was way more enjoyable. Great movie? No way. Not at all. But I had fun with it

Finaika

DC & Fox should stop making superhero movies as to not contribute to the fatigue.

guek

Banned
I'm out of town and was talking to my girlfriend 30 min ago on the phone and she (she works at a menal health clinic) goes "yea i'm seeing suicide squad this friday, it's the new marvel one". One of her clients very silently goes "excuse me, it's not marvel, it's DC, you shouldn't confuse the two". I think it's here and there what the public knows but I think it's growing.

HAHAHA I can picture the look of disgust and judgement

I don't think the sky is falling because of these tepid comicbook movie entries but if Feige is smart, he'll continue to try to push for a different experience between each installment in order to reduce fatigue as much as possible.

Marvel eased audiences into their format, I think that's something the WB execs fail to realize. I'm not talking about requiring set up movies for every character either. Something like Civil War would have been impossible to digest in phase 1. It would have been rejected completely. The world building Marvel did in phase 1 was subtle enough to make each movie feel like it's working independently in a bigger world rather than cramming this huge universe into the forefront like they've done with the DCEU.

Think about "Fury's Big Week" as a concept. Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, and the recovery of Captain America all occur in the same week with much of the timeline overlapping. That might sound like they were trying to put the focus on the cinematic universe rather than the character stories but Fury's Big Week is something that happens in the background. It's not the focus at all! Instead, they used the timing of events to isolate each movie and then had Coulson and Fury peppered throughout to interlock the universe. That way, people who were paying attention felt like they were getting an extra pay-off while people who weren't didn't even notice the Easter eggs tying the universe together. And then of course Avengers came in and really sold the whole cinematic universe concept. Sequel bait didn't really become a problem until Age of Ultron, and much of that was a product of studio meddling as well.

It felt like DC was going to do something similar after MoS but then they just dove in head on in BvS without really thinking about how teasers should work in the context of stand alone films. Apocalypse also had this problem with how they overtly used Phoenix in a movie that wasn't about the Phoenix Force to begin with. Contrast that with X2 where Jean's death hints at something more for the fans but doesn't bonk you over the head with "THIS IS IMPORTANT. THIS WILL BE IN FUTURE MOVIES." Marvel has only done this twice, really, with AoU and Civil War. The latter only gets away with it because it's a better movie and also because it wasn't as clumsy as AoU with its hot tub Thor machine.

Phase 1 worked really well as standalone films, Iron Man 2 notwithstanding. Like each one told their own stories with some subtle hints here and there. Phase 2 is when things started to feel like each film was in service to a greater cause (Infinity War). Weirdly, I enjoy the Phase 2 films more than Phase 1 in spite of that. And for Age of Ultron specifically, I guess I wasn't too bothered by all of the world-building stuff because I was already invested in the universe and I wanted to see what was coming next. But I can definitely understand how people are put off by it.

Phase 1 worked really well as standalone films, Iron Man 2 notwithstanding. Like each one told their own stories with some subtle hints here and there. Phase 2 is when things started to feel like each film was in service to a greater cause (Infinity War). Weirdly, I enjoy the Phase 2 films more than Phase 1 in spite of that. And for Age of Ultron specifically, I guess I wasn't too bothered by all of the world-building stuff because I was already invested in the universe and I wanted to see what was coming next. But I can definitely understand how people are put off by it.

Phase Two includes Iron Man 3 (2013), Thor: The Dark World (2013), Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014), Guardians of the Galaxy (2014), Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015), and Ant-Man (2015).

Iron Man 3 has nothing to do with IW?
Dark world - definitly leading up to it.
Winter Solider - nothing to do with IW
Guardians of the galaxy - definitly leading up to it but also stands very strong on its own unlike dark world
Age of Ultron - besides thor hot tub - stands alone?
Ant Man - nothing to do with IW.

3 nothings, 2 definites but 1 of which stands on its own very strongly and 1 scene in a movie.

I think he meant Fox making bad movies and making people not like CMB. I think Marvel has done a good job of making movies that just aren't CMB, they're more and I think this is why audiences have responded so well towards them.

BLACKLAC

I think he meant Fox making bad movies and making people not like CMB. I think Marvel has done a good job of making movies that just aren't CMB, they're more and I think this is why audiences have responded so well towards them.

Yup, that Marvel logo pops up in front of all the fox adaptions.

golem

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-film-suicidesquad-idUSKCN10E28X

The cast of new anti-hero movie "Suicide Squad" defended the film on Wednesday from scathing reviews, saying it was for the fans to decide if it does justice to the DC Comics characters it is based on.

"The critics have been absolutely horrific, they're really, really horrible. You know, I just don't think they like superhero movies," Cara Delevingne, who plays the Enchantress, told Reuters at the film's London premiere.

Ayer added, "I made the movie for real people who live in the real world. I made the movie for people who actually love movies and go and see movies."

For real people

Phase Two includes Iron Man 3 (2013), Thor: The Dark World (2013), Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014), Guardians of the Galaxy (2014), Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015), and Ant-Man (2015).

Iron Man 3 has nothing to do with IW?
Dark world - definitly leading up to it.
Winter Solider - nothing to do with IW
Guardians of the galaxy - definitly leading up to it but also stands very strong on its own unlike dark world
Age of Ultron - besides thor hot tub - stands alone?
Ant Man - nothing to do with IW.

3 nothings, 2 definites but 1 of which stands on its own very strongly and 1 scene in a movie.

Perhaps I should have rephrased, I meant that each film was in service to another, with one of these services being to facilitate the overall goal of going into Infinity War. I think FILM CRIT HULK does a better job than I would at explaining the idea of each film being less a film and more an "episode": http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/24/civil-war-spider-man-2-and-the-dangers-of-assumed-empathy

I think DC (and a lot of audiences) don't really understand that it's not about having great ideas but about executing them effectively. Everyone in Hollywood and everyone at home has their amazing original idea for a film/comic/anime/videogame, but next to none of them have the ability or production pipeline to make a good product out of it.

It's kind of why Marvel films are generally well-received, they usually deliver on basic expectations. Even their duds are pretty watchable, sometimes you don't even realize they're bad until you see it the second time.

Normally I don't give much weight to reviews for a movie but this bad press is making me a bit wary of watching the film. Was terribly disappointed by BvS and this seems like it will repeat that feeling for me again.

Finaika

The cast of new anti-hero movie "Suicide Squad" defended the film on Wednesday from scathing reviews, saying it was for the fans to decide if it does justice to the DC Comics characters it is based on.

"The critics have been absolutely horrific, they're really, really horrible. You know, I just don't think they like superhero movies," Cara Delevingne, who plays the Enchantress, told Reuters at the film's London premiere.

Didn't they say the same thing with BvS?

I don't think saying that makes you a fanboy lool it's clear that DC movies are less than great to say the least and Fox's Apocalypse wasn't received so hotly either

personally i shudder at the thought of only mcu films being made like a lot of posters keep wishing for around here. either none at all or let them all in for some variety. BvS was a refreshing change of pace for me. I found it the most interesting comic movie this year, despite some stupid writing decisions.

plus people seem to have already forgot fox also brought in deadpool this year. xmen apocalypse was a misfire but eh.

personally i shudder at the thought of only mcu films being made like a lot of posters keep wishing for around here. either none at all or let them all in for some variety. BvS was a refreshing change of pace for me. I found it the most interesting comic movie this year, despite some stupid writing decisions.

actually yeah, I agree, 'stop making movies DC and Fox' is not something I want either, but yo, DC has been on a spectacularly bad streak. I can see why people don't want more of their crap from here on out knowing how they operate with directors and how messy their vision is

thing is, even DC films don't deviate too much from the norm as seen with Suicide Squad, and JL seems like a slightly darker Avengers. Once WB execs really start reining in their directors out of sheer panic, all I can envision are movies attempting to ape Marvel's style while never actually succeeding. That's not variety, that's just poor imitation.

At least with Fox we have well and good examples of CBMs that are different from Marvel's, but are also good

duckroll

Instead of getting angry at people who reach for straws when trying to defend their product on a promotional tour, we should feel sorry for them tbh. :p

thing is, even DC films don't deviate too much from the norm as seen with Suicide Squad,

but BvS was startingly different from the mcu flicks. I agree though that the rest of the DCEU slate is just gonna feel like a dc reskin of marvel films. Wonder Woman already kinda looks a bit derivative of Cap 1 and Thor.

Hopefully Batman really changes things up. I'm more invested in DC characters but I'm not interested in yet another mcu for their properties tho (more poorly executed perhaps).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom