• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLACKLAC

itkAl25.png

mRJj6bd.png

😊

HotHamBoy

'66 Batman is indeed awesome.

I recently bought the complete series on Blu Ray for my wife, because it was discounted awesomely on Amazon, and it's been a hoot watching it over the past few weeks. I remember catching bits of it in syndication as a kid, but it always came on when I was at school, so I almost never got to see the second half of any story line. Now I finally can! I think we're only on disc two or three at the moment. I still need to buy the movie though. For some reason, I don't own it, but I do think it's on Netflix.

66 Batman is a brilliant show as both a satire and a comic book adaptation.

The conceit of Batman and super hero comics is inherently ridiculous and the writers on that show did a fantastic job exploiting it. The filmmakers do awesome stuff on a very limited budget and it perfectly captures the look and feel of the Batman comics of the era.

evanmisha

Yup, that Marvel logo pops up in front of all the fox adaptions.

I got that, actually. The X-Men films don't set the Earth on fire but I'd take the worst one over the best DCEU one.

If they just cut their losses and dumped F4nt4st1c their batting average would skyrocket.

3N16MA

Banned
but BvS was startingly different from the mcu flicks. I agree though that the rest of the DCEU slate is just gonna feel like a dc reskin of marvel films. Wonder Woman already kinda looks a bit derivative of Cap 1 and Thor.

Hopefully Batman really changes things up. I'm more invested in DC characters but I'm not interested in yet another mcu for their properties tho (more poorly executed perhaps).

If it really does take place in Arkham that would be different. Of course it's a thin rumor at this point.

jmood88

Yup, that Marvel logo pops up in front of all the fox adaptions.
It was pretty funny to see how hard Fox tried to make it look like Marvel Studios did Fantastic Four. I've never seen a production logo get off the screen as fast as that Fox logo did.

HotHamBoy

It has probably the most uninspired soundtrack use in recent history. There's nothing original about using House of the Rising Sun in a jail scene. Oh & it's not like I heard Spirit In The Sky, Sympathy For The Devil or Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap in a dozen other movies during my lifetime.

Funny, because this was exactly how I felt about the licensed music in Watchmen.

but BvS was startingly different from the mcu flicks. I agree though that the rest of the DCEU slate is just gonna feel like a dc reskin of marvel films. Wonder Woman already kinda looks a bit derivative of Cap 1 and Thor.

Hopefully Batman really changes things up. I'm more invested in DC characters but I'm not interested in yet another mcu for their properties tho (more poorly executed perhaps).

Not just startlingly different, but startlingly worse! :D

actually yeah, I agree, 'stop making movies DC and Fox' is not something I want either, but yo, DC has been on a spectacularly bad streak. I can see why people don't want more of their crap from here on out knowing how they operate with directors and how messy their vision is

thing is, even DC films don't deviate too much from the norm as seen with Suicide Squad, and JL seems like a slightly darker Avengers. Once WB execs really start reining in their directors out of sheer panic, all I can envision are movies attempting to ape Marvel's style while never actually succeeding. That's not variety, that's just poor imitation.

At least with Fox we have well and good examples of CBMs that are different from Marvel's, but are also good

Idk, without seeing it, I can't say WB's DC movies are on a bad streak. For BvS, I understand not liking the film even though I thought a lot of the reviews were too harsh. I liked most of BvS, but it had major issues that many non-fans of DC just can't overlook.

As far as variety goes, I think any attempts at being too outside the box has sailed when bad reviews for BvS came out. I don't think WB will take the chance.

Hopefully WW and JL will turn things around if SS is as bad as its RT score. Either way, I'm sure I'll like SS since I'm a big fan of the source material.

And MoS too. But I think WB started getting cold feet about creating a whole new brand of superhero films that's entirely separate from MCU-type films right around when MoS started getting tepid reception, but they braved on through with BvS only to have that critically thrashed as well

So they mangle the hell out of Ayer's SS cut and now we have a poor man's Guardians of the Galaxy

Agreed with you on WW, it does seem strikingly similar to those two. Flash, I can already see being a Spidey-esque film.

I like that Fox have made a strong middle-ground between MCU's lightheartedness and DCEU's dour approach; unlike WB (who has suddenly deviated from being director-driven), they're more confident in what they produce. They got jokes in there quite a few times, but they got a nice serious tone for the majority of their films. They just gotta amp up their consistency to the level of Marvel's and they might just be the best CBM studio out there

cuz Apocalypse was bad man

jmood88

I went on Josh Trank's twitter to see what he was up to and dude has 3 tweets that are all retweets. He knows he's finished I guess.
It's sad that he killed his own career because I loved Chronicle and was really looking forward to what he would do with Fantastic Four (before he lost his mind).

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-film-suicidesquad-idUSKCN10E28X

The cast of new anti-hero movie "Suicide Squad" defended the film on Wednesday from scathing reviews, saying it was for the fans to decide if it does justice to the DC Comics characters it is based on.

"The critics have been absolutely horrific, they're really, really horrible. You know, I just don't think they like superhero movies," Cara Delevingne, who plays the Enchantress, told Reuters at the film's London premiere.

Ayer added, "I made the movie for real people who live in the real world. I made the movie for people who actually love movies and go and see movies."

For real people

Didn't they say the same thing with BvS?

Henry Cavill said the same thing for Batman vs Superman.

“The interesting thing is that we get the critics who have their personal opinions. And the thing about personal opinions is that they always come from a place. And there’s a preconceived idea which you have to get past a critic before you start writing your article or your review, and that affects everything. What is really going to matter, I believe, is what the audience says. Because they’re the ones who are buying tickets, they’re the ones who want to see more of this kind of story or not and so the audience’s voice is loudest and after this weekend the audience, at least partly, will have spoken.”

It's the typical defensive garbage that means nothing.

3N16MA

Banned
Best way to meet the negative reviews head on is to say "I hope fans check it out and decide for themselves."

Short and sweet.

Henry Cavill said the same thing for Batman vs Superman.

“The interesting thing is that we get the critics who have their personal opinions. And the thing about personal opinions is that they always come from a place. And there’s a preconceived idea which you have to get past a critic before you start writing your article or your review, and that affects everything. What is really going to matter, I believe, is what the audience says. Because they’re the ones who are buying tickets, they’re the ones who want to see more of this kind of story or not and so the audience’s voice is loudest and after this weekend the audience, at least partly, will have spoken.”

It's the typical defensive garbage that means nothing.

That's him being all too realistic, to be honest. Cara and Ayer's Suicide Squad defense is, how to put it, closer to the Amy's Baking Company approach.

HotHamBoy

"The critics have been absolutely horrific, they're really, really horrible. You know, I just don't think they like superhero movies," Cara Delevingne, who plays the Enchantress, told Reuters at the film's London premiere.

Delevingne added that while "this movie isn't perfect," it was made for the fans.

Ayer added, "I made the movie for real people who live in the real world. I made the movie for people who actually love movies and go and see movies."

Speaking of people who live in the "real world"...

Holy fucking shit.

HAHAHAHA

duckroll

Well, seriously, look at the flip side. You are a actor/writer/director/producer who spent 2 years on a film, and now you are forced to promote it as it opens. It is part of your job to go from place to place shilling for the product you worked on and saying positive things about it. Reviews are bad and journalists keep asking you questions about that to get a reaction. It feels like every question is asking you to justify your contribution to the project. It's not just about being diplomatic, it's also about self-esteem and positivity. If you don't try to look on the bright side and take down the negativity, you will feel like shit.

evanmisha

Even Halle Berry defended Catwoman initially. The damn cheque hasn't even cleared yet.

Those tattoos will be removed. Give it time.

Startlingly different because it was total shit?

As someone who doesn't read their comics, that movie made no sense at all. Poorly paced with dream sequences and a vision of the future indistinguishable from a dream sequence in which an unintroduced character pops out of a computer screen and says... something that is completely lost in shitty sound editing that would have actually given a reason for the subsequent action scenes if only the audience knew who the character was, what happened, and what he said. Followed by the dumbest resolution to a fight between characters outside of parody/comedy films.

It should be noted that Cara Delevingne tends to be super sarcastic and has a dry, deadpan sort of way of doing interviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWQDGTTY6W8

She got raked for that interview for being bitchy/awkward, but really she was just being a goof. I don't think it can be taken at face value if she says "critics don't like superhero movies."

Between the behind the scenes crap and the mediocre at best films I really can't blame people for being cynical of the DCEU. I myself have no reason to believe that they'll get this stuff right. Which stings because DC characters like Batman got me into comics in the first place.

Well, seriously, look at the flip side. You are a actor/writer/director/producer who spent 2 years on a film, and now you are forced to promote it as it opens. It is part of your job to go from place to place shilling for the product you worked on and saying positive things about it. Reviews are bad and journalists keep asking you questions about that to get a reaction. It feels like every question is asking you to justify your contribution to the project. It's not just about being diplomatic, it's also about self-esteem and positivity. If you don't try to look on the bright side and take down the negativity, you will feel like shit.

Yeah it's definitely not a cool feeling to work really hard on something only for people to constantly shit on you for it. Like maybe the movie really is that bad, but having people constantly remind you of that must be pretty grating.

Cuburt

I still think I might watch it this weekend or matinee next week, but after reading reviews, positive and negative, I'm pretty sure this will suck because it drops the ball in so many areas they should have been succeeding in.

I mean, it's reviewing worse than Apocalypse and I knew that would be a turd and it was worse than that. SS sounds like even more of a mess.

npanciroli

Neo Member
I'm scared of spoilers in reviews. Any of them mention what the action is like? If it has good action scenes and none of that shakey camera garbage I'll be happy.

sappyday

I firmly believe Doctor Strange will be Marvel's first tank. In reception and sales. Unfortunately though people won't overreact like they are with the DCU

On the plus side I really dug that Deadshot clip they showed on Colbert. Will Smith really does look like one of the more solid things about this movie.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Nothing. She's the sidechick in everything. This will be her first starring role coming up.

Gonna be a lot to prove. She has the most iconic woman hero on her back
Oh. Well, shit. That almost guarantees she's going to be roasted..
Your BvS viewing probably taught you that Gal Gadot's performance meant something. That her imposing silence had presence for a reason. My BvS viewings taught me something else. THE WONDER WOMAN THEME ROCKS FOR NO REASON AT ALL! THE ONLY WAY TO GET IT OUT OF YOUR HEAD IS TO FORCE IT TO!
Mellr0e.png

and now we place our hopes in another

guek

Banned
I firmly believe Guardians of the Galaxy Ant-Man Doctor Strange will be Marvel's first tank. In reception and sales. Unfortunately though people won't overreact like they are with the DCU

And Captain Marvel is just waiting in the wings

Yeah, Dr.Strange ain't tanking, it's Feige's baby. He'd never let it happen.

Swear I saw some shit about Feige crying tears of joy when the SDCC trailer played. You don't do that when the film in question is shit.

Ashhong

I would bet anything that Dr Strange won't tank. Your general public is seeing those images in the trailer of the buildings falling and shit and going "Wow! It's Marvel and it looks so different and awesome!"

rakhir

I firmly believe Doctor Strange will be Marvel's first tank. In reception and sales. Unfortunately though people won't overreact like they are with the DCU
Cumberbatch alone is a given it will sell, don't be crazy.
People were telling the same about Ant Man. It didn't sell as well as better known characters movies, but it wasn't a flop.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

If it tanks, why would people overreact? It'd be the first Marvel movie to be critically panned and to flop in the box office, meanwhile, DCU hasn't had a single movie to be reviewed well and we've now had two we were completely and utterly hated by critics.

It's kind of funny how people are always trying to predict Marvel's first failure, just like people are desperate to find DC's first success.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
It'll likely be fine if only because it's marketing has relied heavily on the Inception-esque imagery. That alone has me interested anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom