• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Macross Delta 15

New OP might take a few listens to get used to, and I like the upbeat new ED.

This is just pure takeover galactic mind control. That child is literally Emperor Palpatine on steroids and then some. Meanwhile, we could get some more background from Hayate's father from what the lone survivor of the fleet that got entirely destroyed by the White Knight only because they had little time to launch and jump to their location. That whole sequence after the propaganda speech was pretty silly to be honest, lmao. And damn, Roid delivered one hell of a fear-mongering speech though.

2EZP5ew.png

Mikumo might know of a way to turn things around. I hope she has a big plan up her hair.

Branduil

I wonder if there is anything unique about the production hiccups, or if this is a rare case of the production committee actually agreeing to nip the production issue at the bud instead of airing embarrassingly incomplete or unsatisfactory content. I don't watch the show, but I can think of many shows which could have benefited from going off air to come back stronger, so in that sense, maybe the production issues aren't any worse than the typical TV anime, just with more understanding sponsors?

Perhaps with the higher profile of these kinds of infamous production issues, which can now be quickly and widely mocked through social media, sponsors are starting to rethink the "just push whatever out there" strategy?

Thoraxes

Aniplex is having another live panel on Friday! Unfortunately, I'll be away at a convention with my friends during that time. This means that someone has to pick up the slack and annoy them with questions about Mushishi.

They also mention that they have a special announcement for Canadians. I wonder what that's all about?

I can do that.
less mecha and more fanservice

The fanservice is the 2D mecha for me though.

My Nishi-Ogikubo books shipped from amazon. Looks like Robot on the Road, ME!ME!ME!, I can Friday by day! and Cassette Girl are next on the schedule to get printed materials.

Macross Delta 15

New OP might take a few listens to get used to, and I like the upbeat new ED.

This is just pure takeover galactic mind control. That child is literally Emperor Palpatine on steroids and then some. Meanwhile, we could get some more background from Hayate's father from what the lone survivor of the fleet that got entirely destroyed by the White Knight only because they had little time to launch and jump to their location. That whole sequence after the propaganda speech was pretty silly to be honest, lmao. And damn, Roid delivered one hell of a fear-mongering speech though.

Mikumo might know of a way to turn things around. I hope she has a big plan up her hair.
Mikumo is the secret protagonist, she is going to save everyone!

Sucks to hear about Regalia's production issues, I was actually enjoying that show to be honest. But if the show ends up better when it re-airs later this year I'm all for it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Didn't this happen to the second season of Mitsudomoe?

Story I heard was they commissioned series 2 rather quickly and then sales data for S1 came in and wasn't what they expected so S2 was shrunk. It doesn't end abruptly so they had time to plan a final episode.

But I'll forever be waiting for the rest of S2.

Mailbox

Jun Maeda needs a heart transplant
https://twitter.com/jun_tenhou/status/758570085749403648

Damn, that's sure is really bad, hope he can able to find a new heart.

Oh shit man...

Hope he can get through things okay. Really sucks about his heart :(

"True to the games" is not exactly a selling point for me when it comes to anime adaptations.

I'd normally agree, but considering how pokemon has been so different in every medium its been in (multiple radically different manga, the tv show, the games, etc) its interesting to see the idea of one of the versions being represented via a different medium. Pokemon The Origin ends up being more like "if we made an anime of the first game, it'd go something like this" rather than feeling like an actual adaption. I find it truly fascinating simply because of the initial anime and its current run. A comparison point, of sorts.

Qurupeke

"True to the games" is not exactly a selling point for me when it comes to anime adaptations.

Origins had a weird format, as it essentially tells the whole story of Red in 4 episodes and as a result it skips a lot of stuff. It focuses on some key moments from the games and I think it does a great job on that. It has some cool animation on the fights too. In the end, however, it just feels like fanservice with little substance other than that of the nostalgia.

Origins had a weird format, as it essentially tells the whole story of Red in 4 episodes and as a result it skips a lot of stuff. It focuses on some key moments from the games and I think it does a great job on that. It has some cool animation on the fights too. In the end, however, it just feels like fanservice with little substance other than that of the nostalgia.

Also, there's Mega Evolutions to sell XY to older Pokemon fans.

Triteon

On topic 91 Days is pretty good, I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Totally off topic and I apologise, I did a search and couldn't find a better thread and couldn't start a new thread so I thought I'd ask here.

I'm looking for some Funny/goofy recommendations. "genre" as such doesn't seem to matter. While it'd be better if it was newer, preferably this season, or on Crunchy roll or Animelab I'm fine with trying to track down older stuff.

Just for a bit of background I got hooked on Gintama about two years ago and I started binging and I'm running out of stuff. But my newbness means I keep finding gems and I'm hoping it will continue

I don't know if there is a specific name for it but I really like goofy anime.

I'll put up a list of shows I've really liked then order them from what id consider great to stuff I was already recommended when I asked my Anime watching RL friends and didn't like so you know not to recommend those, because why waste your time?

My tier one amazing and wold love to binge something similar: Gintama (obviously), Nichijo, Osomatsu, Cromartie High School.

Tier two stuff I really liked but wasn't strong throughout or had a bit too much fan service: Peeping Life, Azumanga Daioh, Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei, Himoto Umaru Chan, Daily Lives of Teenage Boys.

Tier three, recommendations that were good but didn't appeal over the total length of the show to the point I stopped or had one or two major problems (for me): Sket Dance, Excel Saga (Excels voice drives me nuts, everything else seems fantastic), Haven't you heard I'm Sakamoto.

Tier four recommendations I straight up found dull: Working!, some volleyball show, Survival gun club.

Again sorry, if there is a better thread point me in that direction!

Ascheroth

Totally off topic and I apologise, I did a search and couldn't find a better thread and couldn't start a new thread so I thought I'd ask here.

I'm looking for some Funny/goofy recommendations. "genre" as such doesn't seem to matter. While it'd be better if it was newer, preferably this season, or on Crunchy roll or Animelab I'm fine with trying to track down older stuff.

Just for a bit of background I got hooked on Gintama about two years ago and I started binging and I'm running out of stuff. But my newbness means I keep finding gems and I'm hoping it will continue

I'll put up a list of shows I've really liked then order them from what id consider great to stuff I was already recommended when I asked my Anime watching RL friends and didn't like so you know not to recommend those, because why waste your time?

My tier one amazing and wold love to binge something similar: Gintama (obviously), Nichijo, Osomatsu, Cromartie High School.

Tier two stuff I really liked but wasn't strong throughout or had a bit too much fan service: Peeping Life, Azumanga Daioh, Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei, Himoto Umaru Chan, Daily Lives of Teenage Boys.

Tier three, recommendations that were good but didn't appeal over the total length of the show to the point I stopped or had one or two major problems (for me): Sket Dance, Excel Saga (Excels voice drives me nuts, everything else seems fantastic), Haven't you heard I'm Sakamoto.

Tier four recommendations I straight up found dull: Working!, some volleyball show, Survival gun club.

This thread is totally appropriate for asking for anime recommendations.

Hm, your tier 1 list already has most of the stuff I would have recommended.
The only comedy shows I would add to that on the top of my head are

Seto no Hanayome (aka My Bride is a Mermaid) and maybe D-Frag

And I hope you don't mean Haikyuu with 'some volleyball show' because Haikyuu is amazing ; )

John Blade

Watching Clannad movie and within few min, I notice the quality of animation (mostly character) drop quite a bit. Kinda surprise as you think anime movie will tend to have better animation over TV. Is this movie make before the TV show?

Watching Clannad movie and within few min, I notice the quality of animation (mostly character) drop quite a bit. Kinda surprise as you think anime movie will tend to have better animation over TV. Is this movie make before the TV show?

Not made by the same studio or staff.

Love Lab
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru
Ai Mai Mii
Teekyuu
Hacka Doll

I think "comedy" would be the specific genre name for that. I won't restrict myself to anime that are mainly categorized as comedy though, or recent anime in particular, but will simply give several suggestions worth investigating given your tastes.

And Yet the Town Moves (Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru)
Dirty Pair (TV series and Project Eden in particular)
Full Metal Panic Fumoffu
Hidamari Sketch
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (Battle Tendency and Diamond is Unbreakable will be the main parts of interest)
Joshiraku
Level E
Love Lab
Minami-ke (seasons 1 and 4/Tadaima)
Minori Scramble
Plastic Neesan
Show by Rock
Tanaka-kun is Always Listless
Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou

Also, I'll say that if you only tried the first season of Working it's worth trying the second season as well, since that's an improvement.

Narag

Seconding Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru

edit: oh no i was too slow so i'm now thirding it. how embarrassing!!

Triteon

Thanks everyone. Ill be trying Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru and love lab tomorrow night.

and ill try as many of those listed over the next two weeks.

Cornbread78

Gotta piggy back on these two:
Seto no Hanayome (aka My Bride is a Mermaid)
D-Frag

Also:
Baka to Test
Konosuba
Etotama
Arakawa Under the Bridge
B Gata H Kei (lots of fanservice though, kinda the premise of the show)
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions!
Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun
Is This a Zombie?

John Blade

Wait...what?! What the fuck is happening in the movie? Are they doing some sort of flashback style where Tomoya start in the present but doing some sort of flashback when in he was in high school as it look for a bit after one scene. Also, all the characters in the show you love is now have some sort of change personality and some to the point you're suppose to hate them. What the hell....

Wait...what?! What the fuck is happening in the movie? Are they doing some sort of flashback style where Tomoya start in the present but doing some sort of flashback when in he was in high school as it look for a bit after one scene. Also, all the characters in the show you love is now have some sort of change personality and some to the point you're suppose to hate them. What the hell....

Not made by the same studio or staff. ;P

John Blade

Not made by the same studio or staff. ;P

Did they actually read the script or even play the game which is based on. It's so weird. So many people who you know and love in the show have very different personality here. I know the movie came out 1st before the TV show aired but it feel so out of place when I am watching it right now. Hell, this is all in 28 mins of the movie right now.

Did they actually read the script or even play the game which is based on. It's so weird. So many people who you know and love in the show have very different personality here. I know the movie came out 1st before the TV show aired but it feel so out of place when I am watching it right now. Hell, this is all in 28 mins of the movie right now.

Well, I mean, they're trying to adapt 50+ hours of content into 1.5 hours.

John Blade

Well, I mean, they're trying to adapt 50+ hours of content into 1.5 hours.

I guess you're right about that. Still, what I am seeing is so weird from the show. Also, as I never play the game, is the movie type match the general style from the game on the characters? I know the tone of the story do match for where I am now.

I guess you're right about that. Still, what I am seeing is so weird from the show. Also, as I never play the game, is the movie type match the general style from the game on the characters? I know the tone of the story do match for where I am now.

Not had the time to play the game yet, so dunno :p

One problem is probably that they felt the need to have all the main characters in the movie in some way or another (same as the Air movie) I guess.

sonicmj1

My Hero Academia 1-6

With a few small exceptions (yeah, I don't get what that first classroom scene was about either), there's a solid shonen core here. Midoriya is as shonen-protag as it gets, but because the show can sell his uncertainty and weakness, he's always an underdog you want to see pull through. The cast tends to be just off-beat enough to keep the society of heroes thing from being too straight-forward and boring. When something gets punched it's always really damn cool.

But god, it's just so glacial. Nothing can happen in this show without it belaboring every single goddamn point and flashing back to every single slightly-relevant prior moment. It never, ever stops. I guess this is all to make sure the show ends at some predetermined important spot, but it drags everything down so hard, because it's neither helpful nor necessary. Yes, I know people Midoriya he couldn't be a hero and that hurt. Yes, I know him hearing now that he can be a hero is meaningful and encouraging. Stop beating me over the head with it!

I don't understand why Midoriya seems completely incapable of hating Bakugou (besides him being a shonen protagonist, and as such, needing to be willing to befriend every single person in the world). I can understand some measure of admiration, but god, he's such a selfish bully always.

My Hero Academia 1-6

With a few small exceptions (yeah, I don't get what that first classroom scene was about either), there's a solid shonen core here. Midoriya is as shonen-protag as it gets, but because the show can sell his uncertainty and weakness, he's always an underdog you want to see pull through. The cast tends to be just off-beat enough to keep the society of heroes thing from being too straight-forward and boring. When something gets punched it's always really damn cool.

But god, it's just so glacial. Nothing can happen in this show without it belaboring every single goddamn point and flashing back to every single slightly-relevant prior moment. It never, ever stops. I guess this is all to make sure the show ends at some predetermined important spot, but it drags everything down so hard, because it's neither helpful nor necessary. Yes, I know people Midoriya he couldn't be a hero and that hurt. Yes, I know him hearing now that he can be a hero is meaningful and encouraging. Stop beating me over the head with it!

I don't understand why Midoriya seems completely incapable of hating Bakugou (besides him being a shonen protagonist, and as such, needing to be willing to befriend every single person in the world). I can understand some measure of admiration, but god, he's such a selfish bully always.
Glad you are enjoying the cast since in my opinion it's the biggest strenght of MHA but yea the pacing did get harmed a little for it to finish on a specific spot.

From the interviews I red and knowing what they are going to adapt I don't think the pacing will be as much of a problem next season!

Episode 7 is a fantastic episode so I'm sure you are going to enjoy it!

Line_HTX

Hey guys

I've been trying to find an anime I saw when I was very little, so I barely remember a couple of scenes from it.

I think I saw it late 80s or early 90s. It featured a harmless-looking mole character that transformed into a giant, vicious mole monster with long claws. What shocked me about it is that the mole monster actually murdered a woman (I was very young and I had never seen anything like it). This scene took place in a forest, and I think the mole monster had been trapped in a pit, or maybe it was the girl that was trapped, can't quite remember.

Thanks much! And apologies if this is not the appropriate thread for this question.

Is there anything else you can recall? I can't think of an old show that had a mole monster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom