• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Non Non Biyori Repeat 11

Holy SHIT Renge became a Jojo

I'm so happy

Why did I ever stop watching you, Non Non Biyori?

Funny thing is that entire episode was outsourced to David Production. It makes sense they would leave their mark on it, lol

Prison School is pretty goofy and quite funny, but there's a lot of fan service there.

That's the entire point

Kiss Shot >>>

tL8V8PX.jpg

Kiss-Shot kiss shot

pbayne

Mawaru Penguindrum

Even though overall id say it was the less interesting of Ikuhara shows to me, sure that’s like complaining about getting a single scoop of strawberry ice-cream instead of a double scoop. It was still ice cream so shut up and enjoy it y’know.
P.S I really wish there wasn’t a group called Triple H in this. All I could think of was Motorhead…

But fuck this. Back to the Gundam salt-mines.
Hurray for Patlabor…all 10 minutes of it.

John Blade

Just finish Clannad The Movie and will need to let it sink in a bit before I post. This is now the end of this franchise which mean....I can go back watching my backlogged show which I put on hold.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
There are these amazing things called spoiler tags that let you discuss things without everyone seeing them.

That's true of course, but i might accidentally forgot to spoiler tag some detail, so i'd rather talk about it in Danganronpa OT. Don't want to accidentally spoil it to those who haven't play it yet.

Macross Delta 1-14

So this is my first Macross and I love it. I don't like J-Pop or indeed much pop in general but it works for reasons here that I struggle to put into words. The constant sprinkling of actual dogfighting terms, references to actual aircraft (Immelmann, Draken, etc) but most of all the sheer joy of flying suffuses the series and as someone who grew up desperately wanting to be a pilot I can relate.

A key aspect for me is that the ridiculous core of the show, magic space pop music saves you from bad tunes as do giant robots, is saved by what is clearly a pretty damn well thought through universe. The central plan for the bad team here is to
revive a network of ancient ruins that allow a singer to
control entire sectors of space at once makes sense within the Macross universe. I really enjoy 'precursor' stories as it appeals to both my love of sci-fi and history at the same time but they're very easy to mess up by making the precursor civilisation a utopia. For all the problems in Mass Effect 3 the decision to reveal that the Protheans were
an aggressive, expansionist galactic empire not the utopian wise men of Liara's fantasy
was a beautiful reveal especially the squad chatter on Thessia (of course as DLC you missed all of this excellent writing unless you forked out twice, so shitty Bioware).

I think I may have to watch more of this delightful nonsense, any pointers as to which other Macross series to watch?

Cornbread78

Just finish Clannad The Movie and will need to let it sink in a bit before I post. This is now the end of this franchise which mean....I can go back watching my backlogged show which I put on hold.

You have to finish the rest of the Key franchises first, lol

Kanon (2006)
Air
Angel Beats
Little Busters
Charlotte

Rewrite and Planetarian are airing right now...

Especially Little Busters because more people need to watch/experience it here...

pH0YjtG.gif

DMqk8qY.gif

Macross Delta 1-14

So this is my first Macross and I love it. I don't like J-Pop or indeed much pop in general but it works for reasons here that I struggle to put into words. The constant sprinkling of actual dogfighting terms, references to actual aircraft (Immelmann, Draken, etc) but most of all the sheer joy of flying suffuses the series and as someone who grew up desperately wanting to be a pilot I can relate.

A key aspect for me is that the ridiculous core of the show, magic space pop music saves you from bad tunes as do giant robots, is saved by what is clearly a pretty damn well thought through universe. The central plan for the bad team here is to
revive a network of ancient ruins that allow a singer to
control entire sectors of space at once makes sense within the Macross universe. I really enjoy 'precursor' stories as it appeals to both my love of sci-fi and history at the same time but they're very easy to mess up by making the precursor civilisation a utopia. For all the problems in Mass Effect 3 the decision to reveal that the Protheans were
an aggressive, expansionist galactic empire not the utopian wise men of Liara's fantasy
was a beautiful reveal especially the squad chatter on Thessia (of course as DLC you missed all of this excellent writing unless you forked out twice, so shitty Bioware).

I think I may have to watch more of this delightful nonsense, any pointers as to which other Macross series to watch?

Macross Frontier is probably the most similar to Delta. The original Super Dimension Fortress Macross is still the best when it comes to the series. Macross 7 is delightedly absurd, but probably something I'd recommend watching after some other series. And there is Macross Plus, an OVA series mostly noted for the quality of its animation. Continuity doesn't really matter much and you can watch them in any order.

I'd watch SDF Macross and then the Do You Remember Love film.

Clov

For the Dezaki fans here, how was his work on the Clannad film? Worth watching if you're into his style? I can't help but be a bit curious.

For the Dezaki fans here, how was his work on the Clannad film? Worth watching if you're into his style? I can't help but be a bit curious.

I'd rather watch the Air movie if you want to see something Dezaki/Key. Both got some of his famous stylings as far as I can tell.

dammit ropples despair 03

Holy crap it was weird when the music from the game kicked in for the first time. It's like the exact same audio from the PSP/Vita version so it sounds real out of place. The other times game music was used it sounded fine though. What was up with that?

Good to see Boxer was always a massive cunt. Guess that won't change.

Can't wait until the upper class like me can watch the second part next month.

Cornbread78

Planetarian ep.4
KWF0jlJ.jpg
V3s8FhB.jpg

Man, another good episode, this time as he tries to
leave the city. He decides to take her along so she can be recharged and work with him, but man, that ending with the attack robot!
Dude has no luck whatsoever.... The backdrop of the story is so sad, but the character interaction between these two is great... Really liking this show. It's unfortunate, there is only 1 episode left and then the movie...

John Blade

You have to finish the rest of the Key franchises first, lol

Kanon (2006)
Air
Angel Beats
Little Busters
Charlotte

Rewrite and Planetarian are airing right now...

Especially Little Busters because more people need to watch/experience it here...

pH0YjtG.gif

DMqk8qY.gif

I pass. I think I have enough of the stuff for now. Maybe next time.

Clov

I'd rather watch the Air movie if you want to see something Dezaki/Key. Both got some of his famous stylings as far as I can tell.

Not big into Key, but I'm definitely interested in seeing some later stuff from Dezaki. His anime of the Tale of Genji is the only one of his later works I've seen. It wasn't great, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Line_HTX

Fate is so overplayed it's become doo-doo. Just give me Heaven's Feel and be done with it already. So fatigued.

Macross Delta 14

Why did they need to strip?...

For scientific reasons and must have enough force to turn the lever and activate the loose giant electrical hook... or something.

Not big into Key, but I'm definitely interested in seeing some later stuff from Dezaki. His anime of the Tale of Genji is the only one of his later works I've seen. It wasn't great, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Well, Air is one of his later works too.

Cornbread78

I always imagined the protagonist to have an incredibly shabby appearance while playing the VN. At least the writing gave me that impression. The anime version looks a lot more neat, hard to say he is from a post apocalyptic period.

true, he is a very clean shaven dude for living in hellish conditions....

Well, Air is one of his later works too.

I need to watch these movies at some point to see how they flow.

Ascheroth

Active Raid 2nd #03

Ahaha, that Unit 9 ad gets me every single time.

For the rest of the episode, I'll just quote this, because I don't think I could describe it better:
Active Raid S2 03

Oh god, this episode. This is the kind of campy shenanigans that I missed after the two previous episodes of semi-serious terrorist plots. The criminals this episode are literally otakus mad about a dubbing choice, using bombs that activate when it detects any voice that isn't their favorite idol. And then there's Unit 9, which is so dysfunctionally independent, moreso with Asami at their head.

And then, to top it all off, her plan ends up using Funasaka singing his favorite super-robot song to detonate most of the bombs beforehand, and them rushing in with voice modifications so her entire team sounds like that idol.

It was fun.

Gvitor

Some friends are asking me to watch Madoka Magic. I looked at the display image on Crunchyroll and I'm pretty sure I'm going to regret this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom