• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re:Zero Ep 14

Subaru has indeed learnt nothing. He still thinks it's all about him, isn't asking why and is getting pissy that information isn't being volunteered when it should be obvious. Seriously why did he need it spelled out that half-elves are loathed and feared? I'm pretty sure that's been made clear in multiple episodes by now at least it is somewhat justified by him obviously not listening to people unless they're telling him what he wants to hear.

He really does think he's the protagonist of reality but the show isn't letting him occupy that slot by constantly having the world he's in operate by it's arcane rules not genre fiction. He keeps acting in a fashion that is typical for a generic protagonist who gets to go everywhere, be at all the important conferences, etc, despite the fact he keeps showing that he knows nothing of this world and thus is acting as an actual impediment to Emilia's goals.

I mean he was offered a chance to actually redeem himself by making peace for Emilia's sake but instead chose to go back and work on his combat skills for himself. He says it's for her but she has never questioned his martial skills it's he who always puts himself down on this, it's all about him.

Will
the death of Rem
finally wake him the hell up or is he doomed to continue to tell himself 'If everyone just listened to me it would all be OK"? I trust the show enough to see if they get there but damn Subaru's lack of self awareness is starting to get really hard to watch.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
You. YEAH, YOU!! Come taste this.

How does it taste?

IT'S FUCKING COLD! THIS TASTES WORSE THAN THE MOST BASIC DAGASHI!

GET OUT, and fuck off.

"scallops are ready chef"

"Sakura-chan. Come here for a minute"

"y-yes ramsay senpai?"

"what is this?"

"it's scallops"

"touch it. You feel that texture?"

"yes senpai"

"what does it feel like? "

"it feels rubbery"

"you know why? Because like the subs in my Anime, this is fucking raaaaaaw."
Everything i can ever want from a hells kitchen anime. All it needs is swirly glasses and its perfect.

kewlmyc

I wrote ReZero off as just your typical "redo life" LN adaption, but it seems to be more than that. Did the same for Konosuba and that ended up being my favorite winter show. Gonna probably pick up Re:Zero sometime during the week.

javac

I'm flipping through some Evangelion artbooks and I'm thinking of re-watching it. It's been almost a decade since my last watch and I have the Blu-ray set sitting on my shelf....

Rezero ep2.

Liking it so far, MC ain't a complete tool so that's cool. I wasn't expecting the gore tbh, since it looked like one of those, mmo becomes real life type anime.

Exalted

Ugh wtf, spoiler images still don't work on mobile!?!?!?
Honestly didn't know that , have been posting image spoilers for more than a year without anyone ever mentioning anything, as have others. Anyways have removed the image for now.

Narag

Honestly didn't know that , have been posting image spoilers for more than a year without anyone ever mentioning anything, as have others. Anyways have removed the image for now.

That means it's ultimately not that big of a deal.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Literally the MiniTrue of anime forums.

WE'VE ALWAYS BEEN AT WAR WITH MAL

Re:Zero Ep 14

Subaru has indeed learnt nothing. He still thinks it's all about him, isn't asking why and is getting pissy that information isn't being volunteered when it should be obvious. Seriously why did he need it spelled out that half-elves are loathed and feared? I'm pretty sure that's been made clear in multiple episodes by now at least it is somewhat justified by him obviously not listening to people unless they're telling him what he wants to hear.

Lets take this further, which makes this scene feel like bullshit to me.

BRUH, YOU PLAY VIDEO GAMES, AND IN SUCH GAMES, HALF ELVES GET A LOT OF SHIT! What the hell made him think this was in any shape or form surprising? He attempts the stupid meta commentary at the beginning like some fucking tool in many shows but he doesn't even remember that.

The Morose Monokean Ep: 1

Ok that was lovely, I think I'll enjoy this for some my comfy SoL comedy needs. Fairly straight forward set up with lots of mofu (is that right?) and some nice characters nicely drawn in both senses of the word.

Mum expressing herself only in the language of flowers is a brilliant touch as was the class' reaction when he was introduced.

Lets take this further, which makes this scene feel like bullshit to me.

BRUH, YOU PLAY VIDEO GAMES, AND IN SUCH GAMES, HALF ELVES GET A LOT OF SHIT! What the hell made him think this was in any shape or form surprising? He attempts the stupid meta commentary at the beginning like some fucking tool in many shows but he doesn't even remember that.

Yeah the only way I can justify this in my head is that he's still trying to build a selfish 'Yeah but what about...' rebuttal to Emilia's points in his head. The flashback to each of her points here and at other moments seemed to me to be him trying to answer all of her unanswerable questions in the most petty way possible. I mean who would introduce themselves by saying 'Hi I'm Emilia, I'm a half-elf, in this society half-elf's like me suffer from systemic oppression so pervasive it's regarded as a matter barely worth discussing and is simply taken as read that we are untrustworthy beings in league with an all powerful witch'.

Edit: Double Post, sorry

Loved Re:Zero again this week. Subaru stay losing. I'm sure this will put some people off. I really had low expectations for this show and it is way exceeding them.

TWILT

Banned
Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma Episodes 1-4

Started watching based off a friend's recommendation (and with the new season starting, figured there's no better time to start this than now) and holy fuck this show is kind of amazing right now. It's charming and while kind of dumb, it's certainly very fun; they type of fun I love in shows like this. Glad I watched this after eating lunch though; I feel like I would have made myself hungrier if I watched it before eating >>;.

ReZero 14

Tried rewatching the new OP, it seems like it shows quite a lot of what is going to happen. I'll just leave it for now though, going by it though it's safe to say that a lot of shit is going to happen in the next 11 episodes.

I simply cannot feel any sympathy for this pathetic excuse of a character all the way towards the end. How much of an idiot do you need to be to think you can face any problem when you can't even beat a butler in a wooden swords fight. All that suffering towards the end though. Man is going to snap. It's going to be a delicious moment lol.

I feel like I am watching Breaking Bad all over again. Watching a gentle simple man turn into a vicious druglord edgelord.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Being Subaru is truly suffering. He kept acting like an asshole and literally everybody is telling him to stop throwing a shit-fit and chill out. I like that in this show, everyone with a rational perspective can tell Subaru's losing it, except for the guy who's losing his shit.

He literally killed Rem by forcing himself to go back to the castle.

Also for above, that Butler has been hinted (and very clearly looks) to be a super badass. So he's not ever going to beat him.

Ascheroth

ReZero 14

Tried rewatching the new OP, it seems like it shows quite a lot of what is going to happen. I'll just leave it for now though, going by it though it's safe to say that a lot of shit is going to happen in the next 11 episodes.

I simply cannot feel any sympathy for this pathetic excuse of a character all the way towards the end. How much of an idiot do you need to be to think you can face any problem when you can't even beat a butler in a wooden swords fight. All that suffering towards the end though. Man is going to snap. It's going to be a delicious moment lol.

I feel like I am watching Breaking Bad all over again. Watching a gentle simple man turn into a vicious druglord edgelord.

Him being weak as fuck doesn't really matter when it comes to his overcoming of problems. Because he can just try again. And again. And again. Until things work out the way he wants them too.
At least that's what he thinks right now.
He has basically embraced his power a 100% because it's the only thing he has going for himself in this world. Without it he would just be a useless fuck.

And yes, that butler is absolutely a super badass, so Subaru is not going to defeat him either way.

It's going to be interesting to see how he'll continue from here on. Will
Rems death
make him overthink his shitty behaviour? Or will he just double down on his fixation that he's the only one who can do something?

Qurupeke

Re: Zero 14

Please die Subaru. You're still the worst.

I hate that the show seems to favour Rem over Ram. Disgusting.

Lautaro

Is Re:Zero supposed to be a deconstruction of the boy-in-fantasy-world trope? because if that's the case then it makes sense that Subaru is an idiot instead of a "Kirito Stu".

Wild speculation:
I have the feeling that the presence of Subaru is some convoluted plan of the Witch to make Emilia the ruler and then... possess her maybe? I mean, this massacre could be stopped by Subaru and put Emilia in a better position if she's seen as an enemy of the Witch's cult... yeah, I know: super convoluted and unlikely, please don't confirm LN readers, I rather be surprised.

The Morose Mononokean Episode 1 – The Beginning

Okay probably my favorite of the new anime so far. So a good and sweet yokai exorcist series. I cant wait for more.

Good op and ed, and good voices

Also for above, that Butler has been hinted (and very clearly looks) to be a super badass. So he's not ever going to beat him.

And yes, that butler is absolutely a super badass, so Subaru is not going to defeat him either way.

Yes we know that but you know what I mean. It's just a constant thing that keeps happening to him, we have yet to see him win at anything. Also did those monks
bow to him or was it just me? For all we know they just let him be because he is too weak lol.
Other than his respawn power, like you mentioned Ascheroth, he's got nothing going in his favour. He clearly isn't THAT smart (something that we pointed out since episode 1 when he couldn't realize that he was in a game) and he isn't cool headed at all. He's too fixated on his respawning ability and in his mind he is the one that will solve all the problems. After all, why would he have been brought to this world and given this power amirite?

I quite honestly don't think this event will give him perspective at all. He will most likely end up committing suicide again. And the respawn point will just be one step away from that same place, just a minute ago
:3 lol

kewlmyc

ReLife 1-13

One part of me wishes more anime would do this, as I definately wouldn't have done this without having all the episodes out at once. On the other hand, it hinders active discussion. For example, Mayoiga would have been way worse without watching it with an active community.

Anyway, this was a very fun show. It is very easy to take a piece of media with the premise of "adult becomes young and gets to relive his childhood" and make it absolutely creepy as hell (Mushoku Tensei is a good example of this). However, this show managed to avoid it mostly, while still acknowledging that creeping on highschoolers is something that would totally happen in this situation. The characters are all likable, for the most part, and the character actions are good. The MC and his supports were probably the best part of the show, especially when they delved into the MC's backstory.

The actual writing for the drama leaves much to be desired. 90% of the drama in the show revolves around Rena, which got kinda boring after a while. Also the two major twists in the show were kinda predictable. I mean the last twist feels like it only exists
to make the main romance less creepy.

All and all, it was a fun time to spend a weekend. I would go and pick up the manga, but the anime passed what is on Crunchyroll's website.

7/10

Narag

Cmd8ISGWAAU02MG.jpg
Finally.

Ascheroth

Yes we know that but you know what I mean. It's just a constant thing that keeps happening to him, we have yet to see him win at anything. Also did those monks
bow to him or was it just me? For all we know they just let him be because he is too weak lol.
Other than his respawn power, like you mentioned Ascheroth, he's got nothing going in his favour. He clearly isn't THAT smart (something that we pointed out since episode 1 when he couldn't realize that he was in a game) and he isn't cool headed at all. He's too fixated on his respawning ability and in his mind he is the one that will solve all the problems. After all, why would he have been brought to this world and given this power amirite?

I quite honestly don't think this event will give him perspective at all. He will most likely end up committing suicide again. And the respawn point will just be one step away from that same place, just a minute ago
Well he was kinda sorta effective at dealing with the mabeasts.
And regarding the monks, it wasn't just you.
It looked like they bowed to him to me as well.
It would be hilarious (or brutal?) if his respawn point were at
the inn, waking up after Rem went on her own.

Exalted

Fukigen na Mononokean episode 1

Nice first episode, it's a a comedy SOL show about a boy that get dragged into the world of yokai and exorcism. While it is really not the most exciting show, it's was quite relaxing and had some nice humor. Just what i needed after that last RE ZERO episode.
Wil watch more of it.

It's not a deconstruction guys. It's a REconstruction.

Well he was kinda sorta effective at dealing with the mabeasts.
And regarding the monks, it wasn't just you.
It looked like they bowed to him to me as well.
It would be hilarious (or brutal?) if his respawn point were at
the inn, waking up after Rem went on her own.

That is true. So effective that he got himself cursed :p

This could be a sign pointing towards him
really having been brought here by the witch so she can make sure that he keeps redoing things to keep Emilia alive, so she can take the throne from her. Or something like that. In the OP you see the hands enveloping her as he gets closer to her...

As for your last point, yes, this would actually make a lot of sense, and seeing how much of a sadist the writer is, it would be a good point to leave things at.

I think those monk dudes bowed to him because he has the scent of The Witch perhaps? Like maybe they sensed him as one of their own or something akin. Remember a couple characters have mentioned that about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom