• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think those monk dudes bowed to him because he has the scent of The Witch perhaps? Like maybe they sensed him as one of their own or something akin. Remember a couple characters have mentioned that about him.

Yup. I feel like that fact alone has a lot to do with why he really is here. He wasn't sent to that world to live out his geek fantasies. There is a major plot underlying the whole situation that he is overlooking quite severely.

Ascheroth

This could be a sign pointing towards him
really having been brought here by the witch so she can make sure that he keeps redoing things to keep Emilia alive, so she can take the throne from her. Or something like that. In the OP you see the hands enveloping her as he gets closer to her...

I think those monk dudes bowed to him because he has the scent of The Witch perhaps? Like maybe they sensed him as one of their own or something akin. Remember a couple characters have mentioned that about him.

I think both of those are pretty good points.

jbug617

Banned
Code Geass Collectors Edition
http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016/07/03/code-geass-is-returning-to-home-video/
BS-07350-2061564-Code-Geass-1024x727.jpg

ejFTglI.jpg

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion and Code Geass R2 are returning to home video, with their first release on Blu-ray in North America, on October 4, 2016! Pre-orders will go up on funimation.com in just under 2 weeks on July 15.

Back for the series’ 10th anniversary, both seasons of Code Geass will feature a brand-new Japanese 5.1 surround sound audio mix used on the recent Japanese Blu-ray box sets—an entirely new viewing experience from previous releases. This isn’t just the original stereo audio re-mastered: the music and sound effects have actually been painstakingly re-recorded, all under the quality supervision of director Goro Taniguchi himself, to really immerse you in all the action and drama. We’re ecstatic to bring you this special new version, in addition to the original Japanese stereo audio and the original English dub

Both seasons will be available in a 10th anniversary Collector’s Edition set that features a handsome chipboard box accentuated with metallic inks. Inside, the set will include 16 gorgeous art cards featuring illustrations from the world-renown manga artists, CLAMP, who created the character designs for the series. These frame-worthy cards include a beautiful pearlescent finish that enhances each unique illustration. This art was previously featured in a Japan-only art book.
The release also comes with hours of extras, including Japanese voice actor commentary and English voice actor interviews, plus picture dramas.

Kabaneri 13

Well, that's that, I guess? At least the ending was pretty cool as far as the action was concerned, and Ikoma's design was great.

I just wish that we had actually learned something. What are black and white blood? They're not vaccines, are they catalysts of some kind? Where did they come from? Was the entire arc just about daddy issues with Biba? Speaking of Biba, what the hell happened at the end? Did he shoot Ikoma with the White Blood or something? And Mumei, why was her "black fog" more deer like with projected wings?

Just, ugh. More questions are raised each episode with almost zero resolution to hanging threads.

Gvitor

Re:Zero 14

Well, Subaru's descent keeps me feeling weird. They're trying to say that he is a piece of shit after 12 episodes of painting him as hero. It doesn't feel like a proper twist, it just feels forced.

But now we know he'll probably die and restart since
Rem died,
and probably fix everything.

Re:Zero 14

Well, Subaru's descent keeps me feeling weird. They're trying to say that he is a piece of shit after 12 episodes of painting him as hero. It doesn't feel like a proper twist, it just feels forced.

But now we know he'll probably die and restart since
Rem died,
and probably fix everything.

I don't know, there are certain aspects that stuck out pretty hard (some of it being the generic genry savvy bullshit that protags love to spout these days) but his death and revival abilities were pretty much showing that it would be an issue anyway since he remembers things that happened before, but not anyone else. His comments and actions don't really make too much sense to other people. They don't have access to the morphogenetic field.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Uhh... Where the fuck is my Gundam Seed blu ray from Funimation?

What the fuck guys.

Also, why is Velvet in the Zestiria OP.... Doesn't Berseria take like... 1000 years in the past?

JCG

Back for the series’ 10th anniversary, both seasons of Code Geass will feature a brand-new Japanese 5.1 surround sound audio mix used on the recent Japanese Blu-ray box sets—an entirely new viewing experience from previous releases. This isn’t just the original stereo audio re-mastered: the music and sound effects have actually been painstakingly re-recorded, all under the quality supervision of director Goro Taniguchi himself, to really immerse you in all the action and drama. We’re ecstatic to bring you this special new version, in addition to the original Japanese stereo audio and the original English dub

The new 5.1 surround track has had mixed reactions from the Japanese. They changed some of the music used in certain scenes and not always for the better.

Then again, it's worth mentioning the original sound director died not too long ago. That man had quite an awesome record too.

Either way, it's good news for those who wanted to buy the series on BD.

oh god plz include the christmas picture drama for maximum fan salt

Only if they want to count breaking the fourth wall as canon!

In any case, I'd be really surprised if they included any of the picture dramas that weren't present in the Bandai release (which only had the original S1 PDs).

Gvitor

I don't know, there are certain aspects that stuck out pretty hard (some of it being the generic genry savvy bullshit that protags love to spout these days) but his death and revival abilities were pretty much showing that it would be an issue anyway since he remembers things that happened before, but not anyone else. His comments and actions don't really make too much sense to other people. They don't have access to the morphogenetic field.

Well, yeah, his revivals should break him little by little, but like in the episode where he curled up and went to Beatrice for help. Maybe be angry as well, shout some stuff in the spur of the moment.

But this? He's being a dick all the time without realizing it, and never snapping out of it for even a minute, which is why it feels more forced. He was a dick to Rem, to Emilia, to Reinhart, to the queen candidate, to the random knight dude. He doesn't argument, he just keeps on being a dick. And it happened way too fast. He left the castle a hero and arrived in the city a dick.

Cornbread78

Tales of Zestiria the X ep.1
Umm, why was this so bad again? It looked amazing. The VA was good, the story was not fleshed out in the game to this degree and it was pretty intense with a nice sense of scale. I mean, it could go to complete shit later, but that was a pretty good opening episode..

Well, yeah, his revivals should break him little by little, but like in the episode where he curled up and went to Beatrice for help. Maybe be angry as well, shout some stuff in the spur of the moment.

But this? He's being a dick all the time without realizing it, and never snapping out of it for even a minute, which is why it feels more forced. He was a dick to Rem, to Emilia, to Reinhart, to the queen candidate, to the random knight dude. He doesn't argument, he just keeps on being a dick. And it happened way too fast. He left the castle a hero and arrived in the city a dick.

I think at least part of this is that he felt in complete control in the mansion and was deliberately trying to make everyone like him, as such by the end he was just playing a role. Over the multiple retries he learnt what everyone liked and wound up unconsciously learning that no matter how badly he screws up a relationship he has another chance.

This has led to him approaching new situations recklessly and thoughtlessly because 'Why not? I can always do over'. I suspect that when we get the next reset point he'll learn what a dangerous assumption that is to make.

I'm probably going to wait a few weeks until Sabaru doesn't make me want to punch my computer screen before starting up ReZero again. It's easier to cringe for an hour+ straight, than to cringe and waiting another week to cringe again.

Tales of Zestiria the X ep.1
Umm, why was this so bad again? It looked amazing. The VA was good, the story was not fleshed out in the game to this degree and it was pretty intense with a nice sense of scale. I mean, it could go to complete shit later, but that was a pretty good opening episode..
Always take Animegaf opinions with a grain of salt since they tend to be hyperbolic.

I am of the same opinion as you, I enjoyed Tales greatly.

I mean let us remember that he was trying to force himself into situations that did not involve him, on top of him getting pissy at Julius, the knights, and the council because they sullied his "beloved waifu".

Gvitor

I think at least part of this is that he felt in complete control in the mansion and was deliberately trying to make everyone like him, as such by the end he was just playing a role. Over the multiple retries he learnt what everyone liked and wound up unconsciously learning that no matter how badly he screws up a relationship he has another chance.

This has led to him approaching new situations recklessly and thoughtlessly because 'Why not? I can always do over'. I suspect that when we get the next reset point he'll learn what a dangerous assumption that is to make.

But can he? Do over? I mean, he probably can, since it's the whole point of the series, but does he think that? I'm pretty sure they made a point about him thinking that his last revival would be the last. Again, it probably won't, but if he thinks it is, then it doesn't justify his actions.

Hell, it doesn't justify them even if he knows he can, but at least I can buy into that excuse a little.

T-Rex.

Banned
Re:ZERO 14
Shit just got real. I really hope the save point is at a place where people still die, preferably the villagers, cos he needs to realise that he can't fix everything by himself just by doing it over and over again.

So far I'd say the saddest death has been the first ED. That was fire.

Re:ZERO 14
Shit just got real. I really hope the save point is at a place where people still die, preferably the villagers, cos he needs to realise that he can't fix everything by himself just by doing it over and over again.

Honestly, considering how long we have gone without an actual reset point happening, this might be the case. Either that or at least putting him in a spot after he fucked up with Emilia. He'd be fucked either way.

Mandelbo

Well, I haven't watched that far ahead but I do now know what happens - what if the punishment is that the next checkpoint is
after Rem's death, so there's literally no way he can go back and reverse it?
That'd be a decent way of showing Subaru that restarting isn't always a get out of jail free card, while also not making up arbitrary rules just because he's been a dick. As far as I'm aware there's no specific criteria for when a checkpoint gets created. So far it always just seems to have been when something significant has happened.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I could see the checkpoint being the morning after the huge fight. If the author is a sadist, it'd be the morning after Rem put him to sleep. If the author is a full troll, it'll be right before all the events at the mansion, since he hasn't reset since then. Lol!

Well, I haven't watched that far ahead but I do now know what happens - what if the punishment is that the next checkpoint is
after Rem's death, so there's literally no way he can go back and reverse it?
That'd be a decent way of showing Subaru that restarting isn't always a get out of jail free card, while also not making up arbitrary rules just because he's been a dick. As far as I'm aware there's no specific criteria for when a checkpoint gets created. So far it always just seems to have been when something significant has happened.

Wouldn't this scenario not help though? Because while it shows that very lesson, the issue is that he would be at a time point where he's fucked still because he's enemies with other candidates? At this point, his choices to call for help is severely limited, and would severely limit him in what he can do. Subaru's role here isn't to be an MC. His role is to basically shout "The British are coming" to the people he has good relations with. You can still fuck him without going too hard with the moral point.

Qurupeke

Shin Sekai Yori 9-13
On the second half, and it feels like a million things have happened. The characters are completely different to their 12 years old versions, way more mature.
I guess the foreshadowing was there, but I can't believe they killed off Shun.

The animation and the art have been weird in this show. There are instances of great, fluid animation but there's also some awful CGI. And there are some very nice and detailed art, but I've noticed some very rough looking scenes too. It's not surprising, but it's pretty inconsistent.

Shin Sekai Yori 9-13

On the second half, and it feels like a million things have happened. The characters are completely different to their 12 years old versions, way more mature.
I guess the foreshadowing was there, but I can't believe they killed off Shun.

The animation and the art have been weird in this show. There are instances of great, fluid animation but there's also some awful CGI. And there are some very nice and detailed art, but I've noticed some very rough looking scenes too. It's not surprising, but it's pretty inconsistent.

The director doesn't seem to have been too concerned about enforcing consistency on the show, so you get wild experiments such as Yamauchi's episode 10 but then also very bland and drab segments such as the tunnel sequence from episodes 20-24.

Mandelbo

Wouldn't this scenario not help though? Because while it shows that very lesson, the issue is that he would be at a time point where he's fucked still because he's enemies with other candidates? At this point, his choices to call for help is severely limited, and would severely limit him in what he can do. Subaru's role here isn't to be an MC. His role is to basically shout "The British are coming" to the people he has good relations with. You can still fuck him without going too hard with the moral point.

I'm not sure, I'm only up to episode 10 at the moment and the only concrete thing I know about later events is
Rem dying,
so to me that's just an obvious way to make him feel the consequences of his actions.

T-Rex.

Banned
Honestly, considering how long we have gone without an actual reset point happening, this might be the case. Either that or at least putting him in a spot after he fucked up with Emilia. He'd be fucked either way.
It'd be such a cop-out if the save point was way before any of that actually went down, but judging from what people say about the series getting "edgy" or whatever I doubt that'll be the case, fortunately.

I'm not sure, I'm only up to episode 10 at the moment and the only concrete thing I know about later events is
Rem dying,
so to me that's just an obvious way to make him feel the consequences of his actions.

Except he doesn't learn that he can't do things on his own. He never has done things on his own, and that's part of why he's such a dick. He's not a hero, but an instigator.
It'd be such a cop-out if the save point was way before any of that actually went down, but judging from what people say about the series getting "edgy" or whatever I doubt that'll be the case, fortunately.

I believe we are in good hands for this.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Except he doesn't learn that he can't do things on his own. He never has done things on his own, and that's part of why he's such a dick. He's not a hero, but an instigator.

I believe we are in good hands for this.
Sounds like a big loser than shinji. At least got in the robot.

Tales of Zestiria Episode 0 Prologue The Age of Chaos

That was intense, kind of felt sorry for Alisha. Interesting background on the world.

Loved seeing a few recognizable faces. Next week hurry.

Im so glad some of my fve songs made it in, ladylake.

B-b-but I thought Shinkai was epic!

Well immediately after the movie ended people started to rave about da feels and how they cried so I guess the people who like Shinkai's stuff liked it and good for them???

Just another Shinkai film. Gorgeous to look at but a pretty meandering film dialogue and plot wise and lots of feet. I think I actually liked Garden of Words more since it was shorter and didn't go in circles for an entire hour.

Sölf

Plastic Little
Well, our weekly stream had a season gap. Only Sakamoto and Kabaneri still aired and Souma S2 is the only new show that already aired. So we watched that. The story made no sense, was all over the place and I understood nearly nothing. But oh boy, that was a fun ride. The characters were actually, well, "good". Or to put it better, their acting made sense.
Stuff like Guizel mentioning that his bullets didn't penetrate the suit, but that doesn't mean the internal organs are intact. Or Guizels death, because it's always a good idea to grab someone by the neck with one hand, so that that person can BLOW YOUR FACE OFF WITH A GUN HE PICKED UP! Death fully deserved.

Their submarine also must be the size of a small town. I want that bath. And their weapon arsenal. Srsly,
they managed to singlehandely destroy a complete army with their weapons. Like, what.

Also, Urushihara draws the best boobs. Dem boob animations.

43z9Ny2.gif

javac

I was about to say that I've never seen a Shinkai film but then I remembered that I've watched The Garden of Words, I hated that film.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Sölf;209078122 said:
Plastic Little
Well, our weekly stream had a season gap. Only Sakamoto and Kabaneri still aired and Souma S2 is the only new show that already aired. So we watched that. The story made no sense, was all over the place and I understood nearly nothing. But oh boy, that was a fun ride. The characters were actually, well, "good". Or to put it better, their acting made sense.
Stuff like Guizel mentioning that his bullets didn't penetrate the suit, but that doesn't mean the internal organs are intact. Or Guizels death, because it's always a good idea to grab someone by the neck with one hand, so that that person can BLOW YOUR FACE OFF WITH A GUN HE PICKED UP! Death fully deserved.

Their submarine also must be the size of a small town. I want that bath. And their weapon arsenal. Srsly,
they managed to singlehandely destroy a complete army with their weapons. Like, what.

Also, Urushihara draws the best boobs. Dem boob animations.

43z9Ny2.gif
Your'e watching Little plastic? Have you no shame?
good job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom