• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Battery The Animation Episode 3:

It was a bold strategy to stack this series with unlikable jackasses and it is indeed it is playing out terribly.

ibyea

Banned
Mob Psycho 100 3

There seem to be a number of people who are disappointed in this adaptation, though it may just be a small number of overly conspicuous people. At any rate, even if it might not capture every detail of the manga, I have a hard time being dissatisfied with a show that's this creative in how it attempts to depict its material. It's not just moments of flashy action that are interesting, but even something as simple as spitting up milk goes through a lot of visual styles in a short sequence. I felt a lot of tension throughout the cult scene, helped by Kawai's atmospheric music. I find Mob a sympathetic character myself. It seems some people take the same approach to him that his elementary school classmates did in the flashbacks in this episode; baffled at why he is not as overtly expressive as everyone around him. As an introvert who struggles at times in social situations, particularly large groups, I can empathize with him in that regard. Sometimes it can be disastrously easy for your intentions to be misinterpreted.

So yeah, I'm not finding this to be a hilarious comedy, though I do chuckle here and there, but I'm finding the visual presentation and Mob's character to be pretty compelling so far.

Yeah. While the story might not blow anyone's mind, and the comedy might not be the funniest thing there, it is a competently told story of a boy who faces social isolation, and the visuals really elevate the material.

ibyea

Banned
Battery The Animation Episode 3:

It was a bold strategy to stack this series with unlikable jackasses and it is indeed it is playing out terribly.

Is the show good enough that it is worth watching unlikeable jackasses do their things?

Hunter x Hunter '99 Episode 11

This was the first episode where I actually noticed the filler since I haven't read/watched the Hunter Exam in a long, long time.

Netero's so dope.

Is the show good enough that it is worth watching unlikeable jackasses do their things?

I'm on the verge of dropping it tbh. I'm so goddamn close that it's not even funny.

DR3 Despair Arc is good, Kizu was amazing too but this last episode for Battery just fell completely flat and made me run out of time, so I couldn't watch the latest Mr.Robot. So not only does the show annoy me with its shitty characters and an annoying 12 year old kid that thinks he is the shit, but it also took the time from me that I could have spent watching a good show instead.

Tl;dr: If you didn't start it yet, don't do it now tbh. I have yet to see a single good thing come out of this. I'm angry that I'm still watching it hoping for something good to happen. Why do I keep doing this to myself.

I'd say yes, but that depends on your tolerance for a story about a moody teenager resenting irresponsible adults. The protagonist actually believably acts like someone at his age and situation, it's far more interesting than another stock shonen lead.

Jintor

sweetness and lightning 4

equally enthralled by tsumugi's bratty hatred of vegetables and by the purity of their cooking. i've never made gratin before, i'm pretty eager to take all these recipies when i get the books and give em a shot.

Teach actually getting knife skills. respect.

Spy

As someone who doesn't watch anime but recently got the sudden urge to start watching a series, what would you all suggest?

In the past, I highly enjoyed Dragon Ball, Gurren Lagann, and Death Note.

Ascheroth

As someone who doesn't watch anime but recently got the sudden urge to start watching a series, what would you all suggest?

One Punch Man
JoJo (2012 series, then Stardust Crusaders, then Diamond is Unbreakable which is currently airing)
Hunter x Hunter 2011
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Fate/Zero
Death Billiards and Death Parade
Steins;Gate
Gintama
Gunbuster and Diebuster

Those are all action-shonen or thriller shows with the excpetion of Gintama which is mainly (great) comedy but also occassionally gets serious (which is great as well).
Still have a feeling I'm forgetting things, but those should do for a start ; )

Cornbread78

Action/Adventure:
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Fate/Zero
Yona of the Dawn
My Hero Academia
Heavy Object
Sword Art Online (must be experienced)

Drama/Mystery:
Steins;Gate

My Hero Academia and HunterxHunter are great and they IMO are the best modern shonen.

I looked at the synopsis of Fuuka and I don't get what I'm supposed to be hyped for.

It's from a manga author well known for writing incredibly infuriating drama and romance. People aren't excited because they think the anime will be good; they're excited because it'll cause more people to experience the suffering they've gone through.

Cornbread78

I honestly feel very uncomfortable every time you say this.

Well, I think that was the first time I said it, so....

Despite the extreme hate for the show here, for a "casual" viewer that likes action shows, it fits the bill perfectly. There is a reason it is one of the most popular anime's in the world because it resonates well with casual viewers who are just watching it for fun without spending the entire time finding reasons to hate it.

Did noitaminA's budget for the whole year go towards Kabaneri? :(

I don't think Battery has an unusually small budget. The overall aesthetic design is quite attractive, and there's no sign of the production being particularly rushed. I think there's just a lack of skilled animators working on it, so the movement isn't particularly polished.

Well, I think that was the first time I said it, so....

Despite the extreme hate for the show here, for a "casual" viewer that likes action shows, it fits the bill perfectly. There is a reason it is one of the most popular anime's in the world because it resonates well with casual viewers who are just watching it for fun without spending the entire time finding reasons to hate it.
I agree with Cornbread, while flawed it's good entertainment and casuals are mostly sure to like it.

Jintor

i admit casuals/non-picky anime fans like sao but i remain baffled as to why. when it's not being problematic/bad it's mostly just plain boring to me. I'm fairly certain I gave it the 3 episode test back when it was new before I knew about the hate wave and reacted pretty badly to it as a whole.

maybe it's cos the concept alone is evocative enough.

(i still don't know what people see in the action sequences either)

I looked at the synopsis of Fuuka and I don't get what I'm supposed to be hyped for.
Idk but I'm already shipping blue hair chick for some reason

It's from a manga author well known for writing incredibly infuriating drama and romance. People aren't excited because they think the anime will be good; they're excited because it'll cause more people to experience the suffering they've gone through.

Oh ok, too much of the suffering with rezero and now this :'v

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom