• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

In a conversation I had recently there were a couple people claiming that Shirobako was a show solely geared towards pandering to anime megafans who want to fawn over "waifus", but while I'm sure the conceit of the high school anime club alumni girls helped get this project funded, to think that that's all the show's creators wanted to do requires ignoring almost everything about the show itself.

Right. I feel like the only thing that really fuels this is the show's art style which is bizarrely generic moeblob as possible for a lot of the female characters, but morphs into something more interesting when parodying specific individuals.

Aside from the artstyle, everything feels much more like a workplace drama in terms of direction.

Right. I feel like the only thing that really fuels this is the show's art style which is bizarrely generic moeblob as possible for a lot of the female characters, but morphs into something more interesting when parodying specific individuals.

Aside from the artstyle, everything feels much more like a workplace drama in terms of direction.

It's my suspicion, though I don't know this for sure, that the more generic main designs were done by ponkan8, the person credited for the original character design and an illustrator for LNs such as SNAFU, while the more interesting designs such as Honda's came from an animator at P.A. Works. I may be completely wrong about this, however.

At any rate, I wouldn't consider the designs as generic as possible, simply because there are worse, more generic designs out there such as those for Girls und Panzer.

Aki-at

It's because Hayate can feel the wind and knows that it'll carry him back up the flight deck when he jumped off.

And of course, the badass Mirage gave him a stern warning because he deserved it, lol

The recruitment process for this group requires a lot of precise timing and circumstances lol

Jintor

At any rate, I wouldn't consider the designs as generic as possible, simply because there are worse, more generic designs out there such as those for Girls und Panzer.

okay, relatively generic

GuP genericness is fine because every character is an archetype/blob of tropes embodied as a human and the focus is on the tanks anyway

Gvitor

ReLIFE 08-10

Hishiro's faces are the best. I think they could've resolved Tamarai and Kairiu's problems in 2 episodes instead of 3, but I'm glad it didn't drag out further than that. Also, how in the world does Oga not have Kairiu's home address?

Did they change the ED in this episode? If not, I'm just now noticing how good this song is. OP's fantastic.

Google search of the week: friends acting weird help

KraytarJ

Relife 3 & 4
What makes this show so compelling is how it deals with the feelings of looking back on your high school years, in this case by "reliving" them, which is usually what you, or at least I, feel after watching other high school anime. It's that meta aspect that really gets me. Anyways things are going in a very romance-heavy direction, not that I'm terribly surprised, hopefully it'll work out since stuff like this can often go sideways badly.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
okay, relatively generic

GuP genericness is fine because every character is an archetype/blob of tropes embodied as a human and the focus is on the tanks anyway
how many times can a person really handle hearing "pasta" as the punchline?

Jarmel

Banned
Taboo Tattoo 1

More like Generic LN of the season

- High school boy lead
- Gains power.
- Actually uses the opening scene where he gains the power and goes "now that I think about it that's where it all began.' No fuck you, this isn't some deep realization. That is exactly where it all started no need to think back on it you fuck lol.
- He's strong, but not that strong.
- Childhood friend.
- Female lead that totally won't be romantic interest shows up and explains to him powers.
- Has fight and power activates. Only to realize "he has the strongest power of all!". Fuck me.

I'll hate watch it.

It's so funny how different the early part of the manga is compared to the later parts. hahahaha

If you're hatewatching it for those reasons then you're going to love when the show really kicks it into high gear.

ReLIFE 08-10

Hishiro's faces are the best. I think they could've resolved Tamarai and Kairiu's problems in 2 episodes instead of 3, but I'm glad it didn't drag out further than that. Also, how in the world does Oga not have Kairiu's home address?

Did they change the ED in this episode? If not, I'm just now noticing how good this song is. OP's fantastic.

some of the visuals change each episode, theres a different ed song each episode.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
ReLIFE 08-10

The ED song is different in every episode

Just T

Amaama to Inazuma: 1

Ah yeah, this was wonderful, adorable and a bit bittersweet. About to be the comfy show of the season.

Grexeno

Sweetness and Lightning 01

TwWlR7c.png

Oh no, he hasn't told her that her mom his dead.

He's going to have to tell her in the final episode isn't he. I'll be a fucking wreck.

Sweetness and Lightning 01

Oh no, he hasn't told her that her mom his dead.

He's going to have to tell her in the final episode isn't he. I'll be a fucking wreck.

I'm pretty sure he'[s told her, she's just a little kid and still doesn't completely understand the concept

Rezero 5

Damn this shit getting crazy, so I guess the first time he died from some type of poison from Elsas blade? Maybe. And now he got wrecked by some monster person?

Can someone tell me if any of the series after Fate/Zero are worth watching? I loved that show when it came out, and all of the others look like strange offshoot magical girl shows or shoujos or everything I didn't watch Fate/Zero for. Are any of them actually similar to Fate/Zero?

TUSR

Banned
Can someone tell me if any of the series after Fate/Zero are worth watching? I loved that show when it came out, and all of the others look like strange offshoot magical girl shows or shoujos or everything I didn't watch Fate/Zero for. Are any of them actually similar to Fate/Zero?

ignore the rest.

wait for Heaven's Feel.

The Brave of Gold Goldran - 1

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY.

GIANT ROBOTS ARE COOL YO.

LOOK AT THIS THING.

THIS THING RIGHT HERE CAME FROM A JEWEL UNDERGROUND AND TRANSFORMS FROM A TAXI.

IT'S GOT A SAMURAI SWORD THAT CALLS LIGHTNING FROM THE SKY.

IT CAN SUMMON A GOLDEN MECHAGODZILLA FROM UNDERGROUND.

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL! IT FUSES WITH THE GOLDEN MECHAGODZILLA!

So basically, my response to all this is:

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Fate UBW was quite enjoyable. There are pacing issues, but the action scene was well made.

Bananya 01

I don't even know what to say about this.

Show by Rock shorts 01

wow didn't know Narag had his own talk show

Kabaneri END

There was a time when I would have said I liked this show.

The most nothing ending I've seen in a long time.

Crocodile

Shirobako 6

I really liked the look at creative inspiration and motivation in this episode. The subplot of the director struggling to finish his storyboards dovetails nicely with Endou rediscovering what made him take up animation in the first place. The resolution that was found to the CG/2D debate here is an ideal approach that ignores neither the past or the future. I can sense that a lot of the discussions in these episodes are drawn from real discussions people in the industry have had.

Again, I'll say that little touches such as Endou's wife go a long way towards fleshing out these characters and making them feel like real people. In a conversation I had recently there were a couple people claiming that Shirobako was a show solely geared towards pandering to anime megafans who want to fawn over "waifus", but while I'm sure the conceit of the high school anime club alumni girls helped get this project funded, to think that that's all the show's creators wanted to do requires ignoring almost everything about the show itself.

I hope you aren't surprised. Lots of people will look for anything to confirm their suspicions about the "moe menace". "Looks remotely cute? Must be for deviants!"

The character designs in GuP are legitimately trash though.

Gvitor

Baby Steps S2 01-02

The plan was to only watch ep 01. and come back to it after I finish ReLIFE, but damn, it's impossible to only watch 1 episode of this.

I'm so glad they kept the OP song for this. The music is pretty great, and I loved when Maruo sang it in the karaoke in S1. Natsu singing the ED was way better, though =P

The new visuals are fantastic and are pure hype. Such a cool montage of plays.

I still don't know who is the guy Maruo plays in the S1 OP, and I'm not sure he's in S2's OP...

Goldran's OP is just pure, uncompressed, joy.

Just three dudes goin' on an adventure with their giant robot.

Why can't more mecha shows today be like this?

I hope you aren't surprised. Lots of people will look for anything to confirm their suspicions about the "moe menace". "Looks remotely cute? Must be for deviants!"

I'm not surprised, but the people I'm talking about here aren't those sorts of people but rather people who found Shirobako boring and I suppose don't really understand why other people like it.

The character designs in GuP are legitimately trash though.

I don't like the designs, but they don't really get in the way of me enjoying the series.

Puzzle and Dragon X ep.1

This was really great! The visuals are very colorful and expressive which really gives an amazing feel too it.

Big surprise for me but this just went up in my favourites of the first episodes in term of impression this season.

Ace and Lance reminds of characters in my kid shows of old.

Aki-at

Noragami - 2

Some striking shots (Hiyori standing on the powerlines with the giant air serpents in the background) and a collection of other worldly beings and a cool soundtrack so far in this episode. Definitely enjoying the series and I always enjoy my fill of bumbling idiot protagonist who's actually a badass trope.

duckroll

In terms of production values, Unlimited Blade Works (the series, not the movie) is similar. In terms of story and tone, everything is bad, stay away.

Zero Time Dilemma is turning out to be as great as the games that preceded it. Just like in 999 and VLR, putting things together and it all slowly making sense as you progress, in a smart and engaging way is quite the feat. Uchikoshi, I apologize for doubting you and your game, it was almost like I forgot how much I loved Zero Escape. This game almost makes me want to check out Punchline. Almost.

Defuser

Amaama to Inazuma ep 1

Man I haven't watch any good slice of life shows since Barakamon. This is shaping up to be a good one.

Re:zero 7

Damn that was a good episode. I would have been pissed though.
So dude is cursed by a witch? When the hell did he get cursed :/

Puzzle and Dragon X ep.1

This was really great! The visuals are very colorful and expressive which really gives an amazing feel too it.

Big surprise for me but this just went up in my favourites of the first episodes in term of impression this season.

Ace and Lance reminds of characters in my kid shows of old.

Glad im not the only one watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom