• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What's wrong with you guys.

image.php

I'm enjoying Problematic Art Club. It's good if you just want some fluffy doki doki romcom to cheer yourself up.

javac

As soon as I caught a glimpse of the preview for the next episode and realized that it focused on Nanami I was understandably excited and needless to say the following episode didn’t disappoint. Episode 10 continues right where the previous episode left off and uses the preceding events as a means to focus on Nanami and her relationship with her brother. I have to say the emotions conjured up within this episode were surprisingly complex due to the subject matter at hand. Tackling a plotline centered on a girl with a brother complex is always going to be a difficult sell and yet they manage to do so with a sense of sincerity as Nanami’s character gains extra depth through the use of flashbacks that play a pivotal role within this episode and its execution is handled eloquently. Like the rest of Utena the series forgoes a sense of safety and complacency and instead opts for complexity. The characters are complex, deep and interesting and it’s this environment that nurtures uncertainty within the audience in regards to where the show and its characters might go next. The shows strengths lay with its visual storytelling and so it’s no wonder that this episode was a delight to watch.
Even though not a lot is spoken the nuances of the characters expressions and body language visually tells the story in an impactful manner. The episode relies heavily on medium close up shots due to the more personal nature of the story. I speak a lot about the visuals but the utilization of audio within this episode is just as striking, emphasizing the sombre moments and intensifying the action with a gradual crescendo that culminates to a grand finale. A surprisingly touching episode with great uses of flashbacks and color.

Episode 11 starts off both very funny and light-hearted but it very quickly transforms into something a lot more serious. The tonal shift from the first half to the second half is palpable and it amounts to one of the greatest episodes in the series thus far. Lots of interesting imagery finds itself dispersed throughout this episode with some beautiful backgrounds. The climax to this episode is nothing short of amazing with fantastic delivery by Utena’s voice actress. Utena is a show that is known for its repetition, a by-product of its low budget and so when this episode subverts some of these expectations and goes in an entirely different direction it makes for a huge impact that hits you where it hurts.
Episode 12 continues where the last episode left off and is yet again a super strong, emotionally resonant episode with some fantastic characterization. In tune with the change of pace brought fourth by the end of the last episode, Utena’s gusto has all but evaporated and in its place is a more sombre, slower paced first half. To go with that, intense uses of blues, whites and greens are utilized in order to materialize the feeling of calmness and change of character by bringing a more bright palate to the table. Utena’s silence is piercing and it cultivates a brewing tension that develops in the background, and like the previous episode the tonal shift between the first and second half is substantial. The silence that symbolizes Utena’s ambivalence comes to a crashing halt in an energetic and striking ending to this arc.
Episode 13 is a recap episode that focuses on the seven battles that have taken place thus far. These types of episodes are commonplace within long running anime series and although I’ve never had a problem with them personally, many people ultimately do. I have to say however that they did a fantastic job with its integration here. Sticking with the whole play and musical aspect of this series the montages are beautifully choreographed with Takaaki Terahara’s choral rock pieces playing in the background to great effect. Displaying a masterful use of splicing scenes together with some striking and memorable imagery, this is a prime example of how to do an episode like this the right way. The episode interweaves new content that further sets up the next arc that I’m really excited to see come to fruition.

Twin Star Exorcists Ep 18, 19

I read on here 18 was a building episode so I decided to hold off watching it until this week so I could get the pay off too You know this show definitely leans hard on the wacky romcom stuff for the first part but it has paid off. The team of Benio and Roku work so goddam well at this point, I believe they want to get stronger for one another and even the romcom stuff feels like natural back and forth at this point rather than trope after trope.

I can't speak Japanese so I hesitate to judge their performances but they sound right to me, anguish, regret, anger, determination it's all sounding on point to my ears. Benio's VA in particular puts in sterling work in the latter half of 19 as she deals with
her brother being a worthless piece of shit and choosing to become part kegare

I love how the fights are animated in this with the giant over the top announcements for each move, I recall nintendoman discussing this in classic super robot fights and I can see why it works now. There's a joyful boastfulness to it, a sort of 'this next thing is going to be so cool guys' that when it's pulled off well just leaves a smile on the face.

If you got put off by the romcom stuff I'd urge you to give it a try again as they have spun fine battle shonen cloth from that coarse thread of the early episodes.

BluWacky

Episode 11 starts off both very funny and light-hearted but it very quickly transforms into something a lot more serious. The tonal shift from the first half to the second half is palpable and it amounts to one of the greatest episodes in the series thus far. Lots of interesting imagery finds itself dispersed throughout this episode with some beautiful backgrounds.

You picked some amazing shots to show off the background art! If only more shows looked like Utena...

A few days ago (maybe longer?) people were arguing about shows where protagonists can and cannot lose, which made me think very much of Utena - but I couldn't get a coherent enough post together in time befor ethe conversation had moved on. This (and episode 12) were only part of what I wanted to talk about.

Did anyone pick up the Yurikuma BDs? They're not out in a region I can play yet but I'd be considering it, although Yurikuma isn't as beautiful a show (in art or narrative) as Utena or Pingdrum.

Yowamushi Pedal: Grande Road END

I didn't know how they were going to wrap things up, but rolling with your squad to Akiba has got to be the best series end I've seen in a while. I started watching this show when I was riding a stationary bike, and I'd only watch episodes as I pedaled along. I got to the last 12 episodes before I switched to a treadmill. It was a really fun experience to try and match the cadence of the anime cyclist with my own bike, but not even close to possible when running in place. I enjoyed the ride and I'd recommend it as a good starter sports anime for anyone. It doesn't delve into any really outlandish stuff like I've seen in clips from Prince of Tennis.

Red Garden

I hope you'll find him more interesting as the series goes on; I certainly did, and appreciated the time the show spent on developing him. Is it the fact that
he's only a bad guy because he's trying to help his sister
that you found less interesting? I suppose it's a somewhat cliche way of trying to create a sympathetic villain.

Not that in particular. I simply find Herve too tied to the mythological mystery of the series. There's a bloodline cursed to die and turn into monsters and researchers trying to... do something related to that. He doesn't come off as his own character at this point, but rather a vehicle for delivering plot. So it's not so interesting to watch him as it is to watch the four leads with their distinct personalities deal with their situation.

You picked some amazing shots to show off the background art! If only more shows looked like Utena...

Speaking strictly about backgrounds, many of the other works Shichiro Kobayashi worked as art director on take a similar approach to background art within their own fictional worlds, such as Berserk, Windy Tales, Simoun, down to his final work of Milky Holmes.

Macross Delta 20

Mirage at least is getting some lines I guess, acting like a captain. But Jesus Christ this show is no fun with so much drama, it's a show about singing idols with superpowers and dancing plane robots not an HBO award winning show.

Line_HTX

Macross Delta 20

Mirage at least is getting some lines I guess, acting like a captain. But Jesus Christ this show is no fun with so much drama, it's a show about singing idols with superpowers and dancing plane robots not an HBO award winning show.

But don't a lot of people love HBO award winning shows though?

phaze

Speaking strictly about backgrounds, many of the other works Shichiro Kobayashi worked as art director on take a similar approach to background art within their own fictional worlds, such as Berserk, Windy Tales, Simoun, down to his final work of Milky Holmes.

I knew I recognized those trees from somewhere ...

Kyousougiga had pretty similar ones IIRC.

Baalzebup

Twin Star Exorcists 19

I almost dropped this show early on since it really just didn't impress me all that much since the main couple being bickering little shits to each other has become pretty tiresome after the umpteeth such pairing, but I'm glad I persevered because I still need some Shounen fightan' in my life and this show has delivered nicely later on. This particular episode was pretty much exactly what I want from shows like this. Its funny how certain things grow on you, since first I didn't care for the attack name call-outs being plastered all over the screen in grandiose fashion, but now I think it is pretty dope in its own way. It helps that Rokuro and Benio have been growing closer in what seem like a decently organic fashion, not too fast nor slow.

Yuuto is not really the kind of psycho character I like, but I guess they all can't be Kamui. The latter is easily my favourite kind of antagonist in Shounen stuff. Reminds me of Sesshoumaru, really, and I'm pretty gay for that fellow.

FF15 BroHood 4
CqEeD9eUkAAMuMa.jpg:small
CqEeD9iUAAAS9WW.jpg:small

Love seeing the struggles of the prince-life balance going on with nocto, and how he has Prompto there to help him let loose and Ignis and Gladio doing their own thing together to help him. Was nice.

Love the FF15 setting, I cant believe we have to wait even longer for this, more time for God Eater.

Danganronpa Finished

"Guys, you've lost your
memories!"
"No we didn't! You're lying!"
"Why would I lie about this? YOU HAVE
AMNESIA!"
"Oh....I guess we do..."

Other than that, I really liked this finale, even though a lot of things just aren't explained, and I'm willing to bet, won't be entirely. THIS.WAS.AMAZING THE DESPAIR IS SO GOOOOOOOD! I was dying from how amazingly dark this went. To the point where I wonder if it was a good idea to
kill her off here. I don't think any villain could match to her beautiful despair. She has a Jojo pose!
I actually already knew who the ultimate villain would be, and the game really beats over the head with it, but it didn't stop it from being fun.

Random Thoughts
Hiro
surviving feels like Kodaka set him aside, forgot about him, and then never really got back to him. Would explain how his personality went from kinda stupid to how do you remember to breath stupid.
Byakuya is a huge asshole. Fuck that guy.
A lot of things really weren't explained fully, but it never really irked me too much. That's what sequels are for right?
I hope
Alter Ego
survived in some form, but I doubt it.
The soundtrack is awesome.
Bullet Time Battle did not translate well to the PC version.
Definitely gonna get the next game when its on sale.

I loved the ending to DR1, but I would say DR2 is better after thinking about it watching 3 aside from the minigames which are somehow worse??? The villain reveal in DR1 is so perfect though. None of the character even know wtf to say

5th case in DR2 alone is worth the entire series

Gvitor

I loved the ending to DR1, but I would say DR2 is better after thinking about it watching 3 aside from the minigames which are somehow worse??? The villain reveal in DR1 is so perfect though. None of the character even know wtf to say

5th case in DR2 alone is worth the entire series

5th case in DR2 is the best in the series. DR1 had the best finale, but DR2 in general is the better game imo. And UDG is just shit.

Cornbread78

Twin Star Exorcists ep.19
No Benio, no... Bad choice, bad choice! Pretty good episode as our MC's got destroyed after a pretty awesome skill display (yes, the name are cheesy, but pretty bad ass at the same time.. btw, I hate Yuta, he needs to die next week..

Eumi

I really think DR2 had a much better finale than 1.

I mean it's fucking stupid as all hell but I love all the little art moments they do.

(Spoils for 2, obvs)

HIS EYES

Ascheroth

No Benio, no... Bad choice, bad choice! Pretty good episode as our MC's got destroyed after a pretty awesome skill display (yes, the name are cheesy, but pretty bad ass at the same time.. btw, I hate Yuta, he needs to die next week..

Well the alternative was
having no legs at all anymore.

pbayne

Doukyuusei(Classmates)

Really sweet charming and light Yaoi/Shounen Ai movie.

It's a very light, playful show. Not a whole lot of drama, there are several scenes that they could have played for a big dramatic moment that they instead put a humorous twist to it. Just a nice, sweet uncomplicated romance story, there's a charming simplicity to it. Even towards the end when it gets a bit schmaltzy with the sort of on the nose visual metaphors, I didn't mind it because it had completely won me over by that point.

The visual aesthetic im a bit on the fence over, though In general i found it very pleasing to look at. I loved the languid, lanky designs and movement of the characters though.

Id recommenced this to people who are usually put off by some of the more unfortunate tropes that tend to crop up in most other Yaoi titles. This is completely devoid of those.

So yeah, a nice little one hour romance story featuring the purest form of love, who could say no to that?

Baalzebup

Actually, the psycho bro essentially explained why Benio's choice is necessary. The ultimate exorcist, which their Miko-progeny would undoubtedly be, wields both sides of the powers equally, so both parents having mixed powers would seem like an inevitability to bring that about. Especially since it was forced on Roku while Benio took it voluntarily.

And lol at Yuuto dying next week. Shounen power-ups or no, dude is way above the MC duo. Their only chance of getting out alive is either the 12 Guardian hit-squad coming to save their asses or
Kamui deciding that only gets to kill the two and decides to force Yuuto to back off.
Well the alternative was
This too.

Gintama Love Potion OVA 01

More Gintama. My soul is restored.

Harem and reverse harem hijinks. If you throw out this many romance flags you won't be able to pick up on any of them! 2bad Tsukki and Gin is still the one true OTP. Too bad for Gin all the women in this series are monstrously strong so he's gonna die. RIP.

Cornbread78

Well the alternative was

I know, but now she is corrupted. She is no longer pure, lol. Those legs look mighty powerful.

Actually, the psycho bro essentially explained why Benio's choice is necessary. The ultimate exorcist, which their Miko-progeny would undoubtedly be, wields both sides of the powers equally, so both parents having mixed powers would seem like an inevitability to bring that about. Especially since it was forced on Roku while Benio took it voluntarily.

And lol at Yuuto dying next week. Shounen power-ups or no, dude is way above the MC duo. Their only chance of getting out alive is either the 12 Guardian hit-squad coming to save their asses or
Kamui deciding that only gets to kill the two and decides to force Yuuto to back off.
This too.

True, but I don't like psychotic OP bad guys, at least give the MCs a fighting chance, lol. Well, maybe her decision will actually help that, but....

Next week should be interesting because didn't they say that there was help coming to the town soon a couple weeks ago?

Jarmel

Banned
Shimamoto fired off several rapid questions for Anno, asking, "Can you still make good films? Will you still make them? Ones that feel as good as the one we just watched?"

Anno calmly replied, "I'm decisively neutral."

The master. My king.

Put me on the team that preferred DR2 over 1

I like all the cases in DR2 but I hate case 3 in DR1. My girl got shafted so fucking hard. I feel like half the characters in DR1 get screwed before they get a full arc minus FTEs, in 2 its more like three of em

I mean sometimes they just die right when you think they're gonna turn around which is good for a twist on your expectations but kinda disappointing at the same time

I though DR1 was a terrible game aside from the final case and the twists at the end. Coming from a fan of both Ace Attorney and Zero Escape, it felt like a poor imitator of both(yes I know which came first). However I really enjoyed DR2's cases overall. I'm enjoying the DR3 anime as well.

javac

A few days ago (maybe longer?) people were arguing about shows where protagonists can and cannot lose, which made me think very much of Utena - but I couldn't get a coherent enough post together in time befor ethe conversation had moved on. This (and episode 12) were only part of what I wanted to talk about.

Yeah its a great looking show. Although Utena is infamous for its extensive use of stock footage, no doubt a result of its low budget, the repetition works really well and is implemented in the best way possible. Some people get really hung up on such facts, but as with any show plagued with a low budget such as Kare Kano and its use of sketches, live action shots, repeated imagery and static scenes not unlike those seen in Evangelion, if its implementation and use is well done and enhances the story I don't see the issue. Having such hangups on facts alone will ultimately impede ones enjoyment.

I like all the cases in DR2 but I hate case 3 in DR1. My girl got shafted so fucking hard. I feel like half the characters in DR1 get screwed before they get a full arc minus FTEs, in 2 its more like three of em

I mean sometimes they just die right when you think they're gonna turn around which is good for a twist on your expectations but kinda disappointing at the same time

Yeah DR does this alright. Heck it happened in the anime too!

I though DR1 was a terrible game aside from the final case and the twists at the end. Coming from a fan of both Ace Attorney and Zero Escape, it felt like a poor imitator of both(yes I know which came first). However I really enjoyed DR2's cases overall. I'm enjoying the DR3 anime as well.

I like the Despair side more than Future's. Although this last episode was quite interesting for the latter, and has me intrigued for next week.

Eumi

I still have no idea how Despair is going to finish after future. I mean, Despairs last episode must really be the last episode of future, right? It's supposedly going to be the last thing in that story arc they're going to make so it can't possibly just be "and then they became evil", can it?

Baalzebup

I felt compelled to check the actual damage from the manga and damn, that was straight out battlefield amputation. Everything gone below the knees.

jonjonaug

I still have no idea how Despair is going to finish after future. I mean, Despairs last episode must really be the last episode of future, right? It's supposedly going to be the last thing in that story arc they're going to make so it can't possibly just be "and then they became evil", can it?
Despair arc is 11 episodes I think, the final time slot for Future/Despair is supposed to be a special of some kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom