• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

Macross Zero [END]

what..

I think it was nice that this tried to be different, but it lost me. I can accept many of the crazy events in the other series, but Zero's craziness was closer to magic than alien technology. Also, I guess
Sara technically wins? I'm not sure what happened in the end with Shin, but this was essentially a fold, I suppose. I didn't like what happened with the antagonists though. All of them died, without a proper dogfight.

Anyway, a pretty unique Macross, that's for sure. Pretty fun overall, though it probably had the worst action so far.

Mandelbo

Working S3 01-09

Another series that I forgot was fantastic, yet somehow I forgot about finishing it last year. I love that there's actual progress being made with the character's relationships rather than it stagnating. What the hell kind of job does Takanashi's mother actually have...?

Cornbread78

Working S3 01-09

Another series that I forgot was fantastic, yet somehow I forgot about finishing it last year. I love that there's actual progress being made with the character's relationships rather than it stagnating. What the hell kind of job does Takanashi's mother actually have...?

This show does a great job of wrapping things up in the next few episodes, plus the movie. You'll see, lol.

Cornbread78

A Certain Magical Index ep.18
At first this feels like a random episode for Touma and Misaki's bond, but it actually sets things up for future events and more "misfortune" coming Touma's way in the future.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Final fantasy brotherhood 2-4
I'm enjoying this more than ithought. It's cliche and looks like something come out of shojo manga, but hey, i appreciate the bromance.

Gvitor

A Certain Magical Index ep.18
At first this feels like a random episode for Touma and Misaki's bond, but it actually sets things up for future events and more "misfortune" coming Touma's way in the future.

Are you enjoying it?

I watched Railgun, then halfway through Railgun S (while it was still airing) I caught up with the manga (the accelerator arc there is so good), but never got really into Index. I think I watched 2, maybe 3 episodes back in the day and it just didn't hook me.

which is really weird because 60% of the 1st railgun anime is a borefest and I watched it all

Brotherhood Final Fantasy XV - Episode 04

These continue being great. I think this one, even though it was one of the slowest and the one with the least amount of action, it was the best episode thus far. Poor Ignis sure had it rough.

Quasar

Are you enjoying it?

I watched Railgun, then halfway through Railgun S (while it was still airing) I caught up with the manga (the accelerator arc there is so good), but never got really into Index. I think I watched 2, maybe 3 episodes back in the day and it just didn't hook me.

which is really weird because 60% of the 1st railgun anime is a borefest and I watched it all

Interesting. Most railgun fans seemed to dislike s2 because it was not fluffy like s1 and it instead retold a Index storyline from Misakas pov.

I actually kind of wondered how it worked for railgun only people as I felt it relied somewhat with people already knowing the story as told in index.

jbug617

Banned
Aniplex teasing an announcement.
CqGeFaPXYAAgakA.jpg

Jintor

Any anime besides denmou coil post around with ar stuff much? Pokego and lawsuits has me thinking a little about Sao and the absolutely shit legal system I recall from it (not that it was a focus)

Syrinx

Koufuku Graffiti 10

This episode was kinda...strange. Introducing this character at this point didn't seem to serve much purpose other than for Kirin to connect with somebody who's anxious about making friends and the future and whatnot. Then bonding over what I assume was mediocre-at-best pizza. Then learning this girl was an adult with a job.

Koufuku Graffiti 11

Honestly curious about Ryou's parents now. Their jobs are secret, they're overseas, they're busy af, and a town would stop operating if they quit. They either have high-ranking jobs in the government or work for the Yakuza.

Mailbox

Leaves?

Leaves are in Mushishi!

IT'S HAPPENING GUYS!

yeah... cant wait for them to sell mushishi zoku shou for 200+ dollars in limited quntaties with DVD being standard and BD being "limited"

I legit hate aniplex usa and their pricing/ distribution shit

Tamako Market 8

This episode was incredibly strong visually, almost enough to make me overlook the still awkward attempts at humor and characterization. God bless Takemoto.

Cornbread78

A Certain Magical Index ep.19-20
Woah, talk about rewriting a character with a two episode arc... They completely humanized the momster Accelorator with these episodes as he saved
the Misaki sister network
! They were really good episodes with really good character developement. I wonder if he will join "Team Touma" and take on the rest of the organizations after Touma.

Jarmel

Banned
Mob Psycho-6
Yz8oIWJ.jpg

I guess Luluco must be offplanet right now.
This is the first episode I've loved from start to finish. Yes it doesn't have the crazy animation of the past three but the storyboarding and artistic direction really deliver here. This was an episode about social pressure/expectations and the show nailed it. The contrast between the two sets of brothers works to highlight how both falling short and overachieving can be a shackle around a person's neck. Both younger brothers have an inferiority complex despite vastly different home lives.
Ritsu on the outside is an exemplary student who essentially excels at everything however he realizes that due to his brother he's only just normal. The show does a great job of highlighting his frustration through things in his body language such as when Shigeo is praising him and he just lowers his eyebrows. This episode had a lot of reflections off surfaces, such as the beginning with the water or the student council president at home, that serve to show visually how the environment around those characters isn't changing and is in some ways confining.
Uahv3Sy.jpg

Good use of perspective to show how dominating and oppressive Shinji's older brother is. The brother is taking up most of the frame and is not only diminishing Shinji but pushing him to the side.
Ritsu and Shinji 'breaking bad' feels like a realistic way for both to blow off steam in that they get to demean a fellow classmate while also looking like heroes in the process. I think it's a good way of contrasting Ritsu with Shigeo in that Ritsu is a much more flawed character on the inside. Ritsu also internalizes his emotions and while he doesn't physically blow up a school, it still comes out in explosive ways. Ritsu's envy is something I'm enjoying a lot because you don't see brother to brother dynamics like this often.
This was another scene that I liked a lot due to the varying art styles as it worked really well to highlight the social pressure and stigmata that Tenga is under. The scene emphasized how very effective emotional pressure is as Tenga couldn't fight his way out and crumpled under the disgusted looks of his classmates. He might be good at physical fighting but some times that doesn't mean shit if nobody is in your corner. The black and white sketch art brought home his emotional state as he was laid bare, as it were. There's also that oppressive feel again with the looks of the classmates as they just stare him down and verbally berate him. It makes you feel bad for him despite all the crap he's pulled in previous episodes. This was a fantastic episode and reminded me of the work in Ping Pong.

manfestival

watching episode 15 of re:zero just doesnt help me feel another but slothful

seriously screw this episode and screw the ending. This is the most bizarre thing ever. bobobo is very slothful

Clov

Leaves?

Leaves are in Mushishi!

IT'S HAPPENING GUYS!

Don't get my hopes up.

This legitimately was my first thought when I saw the teaser. I know I ought to temper my expectations though.

The leaves match up.

Doukyuusei

We already know they're releasing Doukyuusei though. They put the movie in theaters and are releasing it on BD this September. What more could they have to announce about it?

Cornbread78

Are you an Accelerator fan?! I havent seen you ever mention him.

He was only in one previous arc and was a real dick, but now....

Are you enjoying it?

Yeah, it's been a ptmretty good mix of action and humor so far. It could use a little less of the loli crap though, lol.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Brotherhood Final Fantasy XV - Episode 04

These continue being great. I think this one, even though it was one of the slowest and the one with the least amount of action, it was the best episode thus far. Poor Ignis sure had it rough.

Agreed about it being good. I just want to fight out what happened when Noctis fought the snake lady again though at the end of ep 1 lol

Cornbread78

Fairy Tail ep.49
It's been way too long since I last finished the Lightning tower arc, so I decided to boot up an episode for fun. Yup, it was fun as the reporter came to visit Fairy Tail and got to whitness everyone in rare form, lol. This was probably a filler eposode, but it was a good one to come back to after a lobg break dince it easily reintroduced the characters.

Macross Delta - 8

SHIT YES POWER OF IDOLS AND GIANT PLANE ROBOTS SAVING THE DAY LIKE A BOSS.

LACUS CLYNE EAT YOUR HEART OUT YOU AIN'T GOT SHIT ON WALKURE.

People liked Lacus?

Her and Kira were basically the Asuna and Kirito of their time in terms of popularity.

Fairy Tail ep.49
It's been way too long since I last finished the Lightning tower arc, so I decided to boot up an episode for fun. Yup, it was fun as the reporter came to visit Fairy Tail and got to whitness everyone in rare form, lol. This was probably a filler eposode, but it was a good one to come back to after a lobg break dince it easily reintroduced the characters.

Should proceed directly to the next episode. One of my personal favourites from back then.

JulianImp

I loved the ending to DR1, but I would say DR2 is better after thinking about it watching 3 aside from the minigames which are somehow worse??? The villain reveal in DR1 is so perfect though. None of the character even know wtf to say

5th case in DR2 alone is worth the entire series

DR2 (up to Ch. 4 so far) really makes me feel like the whole series is way too derivative, with both it and the new anime doing far too many callbacks to the first game for some reason, and that isn't actually helping my enjoyment of the series as a whole.

I love the nonstop debate and closing summary, but the other mini-games all feel really tacked-on and get grating after a while (playing hangman is boring as hell, and "improving" it by making me wait for the RNG to give me the letters I want was even worse). Still, playing DR2 with logic on mean always had me load exactly the bullet I needed before the argument even started so far, which feels a bit underhwelming (ie: if the were talking about a murder weapon before the debate, it was obvious I could often ignore half the bullets the game gave me because they don't even mention weapons in them). The addition of agreeing with people's statements was nice, but it also looks like it gave the player far too many possibilites to choose from (shoot to counter, shoot to agree, shoot with another statement), down to the point most debates made what you were supposed to do out of the three obvious in order to prevent the difficulty creep from giving the player too many options and combinations.

It's also kind of weird that the anime implies team despair all allied themselves with Enoshima, because from what I know about the cast so far:
  • Mikan
    makes sense, since she was starving for attention, and it sounds like Enoshima was the only one who gave her exactly what she wanted by humoring her instead of laughing at or ignoring her
  • Akane
    appears to be the most gullible being on Earth, so it's plausible that she'd join the side of despair if she was given the promise of food or a filmsy excuse for why doing it would actually be good
  • Hiyoko
    was also a decent candidate, since she's a brat that loves taking advantage of others (as much as that could be explained due to her awful upbringing)
  • Nagito
    is a madman, but lying as part of his despair disease and the way he's behaving so far makes it look like he's actually the character with the most well-defined morality (even if it's crazy compared to most people's). His boner for hope makes it sound like helping despair is the last thing he'd ever be caught doing, actually
  • Whatevermaru
    was the righteous Sakura expy, so I don't see him giving in to crushing other people and their dreams for his own self-gratification
  • Fuyuhiko
    appears to care an awful lot about his friends and family, but he also does have a bloodthirsty side when it comes to revenge, so he could probably be won over with a good enough excuse for lashing against others
  • Peko
    would probably follow Fuyuhiko in whichever path he chose, so she's mostly a non-issue
  • Sonia
    is one of the characters I can't read at all, but I guess being a princess taken from her ivory tower might lead to some major disappointments regarding society as a whole and whatnot
  • Gundam and his shitenou hamsters of doom
    also look unlikely, since it sounds like his edgy and hammy persona is mostly a coping mechanism, but he apparently hasn't actually lost faith in humanity
  • Souda
    is a maybe for me, since he appears to be quite a pushover, thus making him extremely easy to manipulate
  • Ibuki
    did a big fat nothing throughout the story other than throwing funny remarks around, but she never seemed like the kind of character that'd play pranks on others, let alone become a mass murderer in the name of despair
  • Chieki
    has been the last character I'd suspect of joining the dark side, both in her DR2 and the anime
  • Fat Byakuya, Teruteru and the photographer girl
    died early on, so I never got to know them all that much
  • Hinata
    depends on whatever happens to him later, because right now he doesn't appear to be threatening or evil... that surgery he undertook in the anime might have something to do with him joining Junko, most likely

Cornbread78

Fairy Tail ep.50
Juvia, you fiend! Lolololololol. Another filler episode, but this was pretty damn funny stuff as Juvia tries to use a potion to get Gray to fall for her and at the same time Lucy thinks Natsu is going to confess his love for her, lol.... poor Lucy. This was funny stuff.

Yes master, Alcohol is my rival as well. Urza, be gentle on that beam rival of yours, lolol

Magi: Season 1

So I finished season one of this show and I overall enjoyed it. It has some fun characters and villains. However, it has way less focus on dungeon delving than I hoped, and way more on inter kingdom wars. Still good for a light fun shonen. Season 2 looks to be focused on war too, though.

duckroll

I think I wrote up the first two episodes before, but whatever... trying to catch up now so let's do it again.

Thunderbolt Fantasy - Episode 01

This is good.

Thunderbolt Fantasy - Episode 02

This is pretty good.

Thunderbolt Fantasy - Episode 03

This is great.

Thunderbolt Fantasy - Episode 04

This is really great.

Line_HTX

Normally a lot of Sawano tracks with mpi vocals are cheesy as hell, but this one in Thunderbolt Fantasy just fits so perfectly for some reason. I just need the official lyrics because they're always in English.

jonjonaug

I think I wrote up the first two episodes before, but whatever... trying to catch up now so let's do it again.

This is good.

This is pretty good.

This is great.

This is really great.

Can't wait for your episode 5 reaction.

Syrinx

Aikatsu! Stars 10

What the fuck is with this headmaster dude? This show and I are going to have some problems going forward if he tries to pull some bullshit like this on any sort of regular basis.

blurr

The thing that made DR2 all the more deceptive for me
is how it masked some DR1 characters into it - Byakuya wasn't actually Byakuya, Nagito Komaeda is an anagram for Makoto Naegi, he did kind of look/act like him and he was the ultimate lucky student; same goes for Akane who was a beast-like Sakura
- had me come up with wild theories of my own. Trying to piece out who the other characters are and at the same time I was dumbfounded over who the new folk are.

Never forgetting the first trial and chapter 5 of that game
(glitchy world and the whole video game theme to the menus made sense)
- utterly bonkers, lost my sanity for a moment.

Jintor

That's funny because dr2
blows it's load within about a minute or so of starting the game

When I got to the twist I was literally like "wat, srsly? That thing at the beginning..."

Case five is great though.

Instro

This is good.

This is pretty good.

This is great.

This is really great.

Time for a puppet community thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom