• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonjonaug

Rewrite ep.11

I wish we got more of this throughout the whoke season. Good character interactions, clear story direction and good comedy. The "booty call" gag with Kagari was pretty funny stuff. I just hate how the beginning of this show was a mess and the ending is sure to be rushed leaving a ton of stuff unexplained.

This is very much an adaptation for fans. Everything starting from the OP/ED change has been an anime original route that isn't even in the updated version of the game. If you haven't played the game this'll almost certainly be a sort of "go play the game" situation at the end, considering the final "routes" of the game would likely take at least half a season to cover on their own.

Jarmel

Banned
pU2usJ2.jpg
RMJIiIk.jpg

The only woman on Earth who fantasizes about her husband being a deadbeat and living in a broken down dilapidated house.
See here's the thing, Ataru, the male lead of Urusei Yatsura, is a relatively unique piece of shit that has zero redeeming qualities. The English title of the show may be Those Obnoxious Aliens, however Ataru is vastly more annoying than the aliens could ever dream of being. He has tried to slap kids (admittedly superhuman/alien ones), tried to hit women, is lecherous beyond words, isn't smart or handsome, selfish, petty and egotistical. There is not a single fucking redeeming quality about this man. He's the type of man that if he died, the world would be a better place. This is probably the biggest flaw of the show in that he's not even an imperfect being but rather an utter piece of shit. I'll give you a few examples.
Case 1: He gives Lum a ribbon so as to seal her powers thus preventing her from shocking him, that way he can go around and flirt with other girls. Despite seeing how horrible this is for her as she can't fly and ends up crashing from a second floor or defend herself from sexual harassers, he doesn't give a shit. In fact he's actually smug about it and enjoys seeing her crying. There's zero sense of remorse or that he's taken it too far.
Case 2: When finding out about vodoo dolls that apparently work, from Lum, his first reaction is to build copies of everybody in town for the pure purpose of torturing or messing with them. Many of whom haven't messed with him in any direct way. The first one he builds, of the Cherry Priest, he actually rips the man's head off. He does this knowing that it might actually kill the man.
Case 3 (but really 3 - ∞): Any time he sees a hot girl, he loses any sense of rationality or dignity as a human being and pretty much attacks them. Shinobu, who is supposedly his girlfriend, has to hit him with a baseball bat to knock him out at times otherwise he might take it too far. It's obviously supposed to be cartoonish but his single legged determination to fuck any girl that breathes is so dogged, that he comes across as a sexual offender at times. He's like lead from High School DxD but amped up to 11.
So this scumbag has zero redeeming qualities, which is actually fairly rare in anime or any piece of fiction. Usually there's some trait that is idealized in the main character, even flawed ones, such as courage, intelligence, looks, or suave. Instead here, the lead is someone whose own mother wishes was never born. The sad part is I can't even blame her. So episode 10 looked like it might be Ataru getting comeuppance for all the times he neglected or emotionally belittled Lum. His own friends are conspiring against him after he had told Lum to go home and wait for him while he pretty much sexually harasses girls. His friends would gladly kill him to take his spot as Lum's girlfriend. In fact, most people would. For them (and the audience) it's watching pearls being wasted before swine. He doesn't treat Lum with an ounce of respect and yet Lum is madly love with him. I guess the one that is his best friend, not that he has any true friends as that would require a person to not be gutter trash, essentially snaps and decides to set up a scheme to embarrass Ataru and have Lum leave him.
I5BSsbQ.jpg

That's a very good goddamn question.
So throughout this episode I'm rooting for the guys to essentially wreck Ataru's life. This is a man upon hearing that there's a new girl that is interested in dating him, proceeds to dump all surrounding women who have repeatedly professed to love him. Lum is crying and heartbroken and his reaction is, "Eh. Whatever". There's no sense of empathy or sincerity within him and so throughout the episode I'm waiting for him to get humiliated.
lhLv3oP.jpg

I do not blame this man at all. Desperate times calls for desperate measures.
So Lum accidentally finds out and instead of Ataru getting Carrie'd, he gets bailed out by her in the last second. This is profoundly maddening as he has done nothing to warrant being saved by her. Absolutely goddamn nothing. He doesn't resent going to the date, disregarding Lum's feelings, or even be thankful afterwards.
This is his reaction. He is fucking annoyed that he owes her for saving public face. There is zero reason for Lum to be attached to this waste of space. So I can't really root for the main couple in this show because of how disgusting Ataru is as a human being. Lum deserves so much better than him and yet she's fixated on such an awful character. It's not even that he's ignoring Lum but how callous he is towards other people. This is one of the few times where I'm hoping the main character, despite being in a love triangle, gets absolutely nothing and ends up alone as an old bitter man. Hikaru from SDF Macross was another one.
This is like battered wife syndrome. Why are you going back to him? Whhhyyyyyyyy?

Sterok

Full Moon Wo Sagashite 11

So when a celebrity is being stalked for the illusion of a scandal, what are normal people who don't have supernatural help supposed to do? It's come up in a couple anime I've watched, and I don't think I've seen a good solution to it. Also, stalker dude, you look like you should have the police called on you when you're following a 12 year old girl. Meanwhile, Takuto and Meroko have not forgotten that Mitsuki is going to die. And they didn't even sound sad about it. Well they are Shinigami, so it would be problematic if they were sad.

Cornbread78

This is very much an adaptation for fans. Everything starting from the OP/ED change has been an anime original route that isn't even in the updated version of the game. If you haven't played the game this'll almost certainly be a sort of "go play the game" situation at the end, considering the final "routes" of the game would likely take at least half a season to cover on their own.

Just sucks because this could have been a really cool anike if it wasn't just a big game advertisment scam..

Jarmel

Banned
So...so Jarmel, why doesn't Ataru want to get it on with his hot alien wife tho?

Is it that he can't be attracted to someone who is actually attracted to him or something?

He doesn't want to be tied down I guess.

Lum is willing to put out and has the best body in the show, which she obviously knows considering she's always parading around in a bikini.

Clov

Rewatched Harmony tonight. I still liked it the second time, though it's very unnerving to watch. A lot of scenes are really uncomfortable, and it's incredibly pessimistic, yet I found it very interesting all the same. It's gotten a pretty muted reception from what I've seen, which is disappointing to hear. I said this before, but I think it's definitely worth watching at least once.

I wonder how the final Project Itoh film will turn out? That's actually coming out this year, right?

Stage On

See here's the thing, Ataru, the male lead of Urusei Yatsura, is a relatively unique piece of shit that has zero redeeming qualities. The English title of the show may be Those Obnoxious Aliens, however Ataru is vastly more annoying than the aliens could ever dream of being.
He has tried to slap kids (admittedly superhuman/alien ones), tried to hit women, is lecherous beyond words, isn't smart or handsome, selfish, petty and egotistical. There is not a single fucking redeeming quality about this man. He's the type of man that if he died, the world would be a better place. This is probably the biggest flaw of the show in that he's not even an imperfect being but rather an utter piece of shit. I'll give you a few examples.

Yeah I tried to watch Urusei Yatsura but I didn't get past 15 episodes or so before giving up precisely for this reason. Ataru is such a scumbag that I couldn't relate to him at all.

In other shows the lead might be a bit of a jerk at times but they usually make up for it. Just to use another of Rumiko Takahashi's work as an example Ranma might be egotistical as all heck but he's a total bro who'd help you out if you're in trouble.

Yeah I tried to watch Urusei Yatsura but I didn't get past 15 episodes or so before giving up precisely for this reason. Ataru is such a scumbag that I couldn't relate to him at all.

In other shows the lead might be a bit of a jerk at times but they usually make up for it. Just to use another of Rumiko Takahashi's work as an example Ranma might be egotistical as all heck but he's a total bro who'd help you out if you're in trouble.

I gave up almost immediately because of stuff like this.

Stage On

Three in total, bundled with the manga volumes in Japan; looks like the CR release was timed to the first one being released today, so the next two should be coming on March 10 and September 9 next year. From what MetroidPrimeRib's saying, it sounds like there's a bit of manga comprehension needed, so at least that gives plenty of time to catch up on it.

Ah bummer! I thought we were getting an actual season not just a few ova's.

I've never read the manga but have heard about it so I was kind of interested in the anime only to be horribly confused by the first episode starting in what was obviously the middle of a story without explaining anything.

pbayne

Ace Attorney Movie (live action but cmon its anime as fuck)

ZfVYpc6.gif

This is breath-taking cinema. Has its problems but it might be the best game adaption ive seen? Better than Street Fighter or Tomb Raider(wow the highness of the that bar!)

City Hunter 1-5

Or Japanese pervert James Bond. The 80’s were a different time.

There’s a really weird juxtaposition of elements in this. Just in these episodes there have been plots centred around sex trafficking, prostitution, forced drug intake, people are killed by the dozens but there’s no blood, a cancer ridden doctor who relies on alcohol pays for protection with her own life insurance and lol a scantiest creates a microbe that can kill massive amounts of people. Apart from that goofy last one-that’s some really dark stuff. Definitely not the light hearted action romp i thought it was.
But those scenes will be contrasted with Ryo looking up a girl’s skirt or something. It’s such a weird case of tonal whiplash.

But all in all fantastic show. Oozes style and charm, and is very creative with its episode structure and action set pieces so far.

Special mention to its ending theme. Its so stylish and the first few notes of it provide a perfect lead in for the end of an episode. Great stuff.

G Gundam 1-5

Bolt Gundam, Rose Gundam, Big Dumb American Gundam. YYYYYYAAAAAAAA This is awesome! Lol im worried about what they’ll dredge up for Ireland though, fucking Whiskey or Potatoe Gundam.

Rewatched Harmony tonight. I still liked it the second time, though it's very unnerving to watch. A lot of scenes are really uncomfortable, and it's incredibly pessimistic, yet I found it very interesting all the same. It's gotten a pretty muted reception from what I've seen, which is disappointing to hear. I said this before, but I think it's definitely worth watching at least once.

I don't know about muted; I would say the majority of impressions I've seen of Harmony, at least outside GAF, are viciously negative. People really hate the film.

I wonder how the final Project Itoh film will turn out? That's actually coming out this year, right?

Genocidal Organ is scheduled for a winter 2017 release, I believe.

I'd be highly concerned about anyone who feels they can relate to Ataru! You're not really supposed to find him a sympathetic figure, and the strengths of Oshii's handling of the franchise certainly don't rely on that. The opening episodes of the Urusei Yatsura TV series are the weakest part, unfortunately, so I can understand why they would turn someone off.

ZfVYpc6.gif

This is breath-taking cinema. Has its problems but it might be the best game adaption ive seen? Better than Street Fighter or Tomb Raider(wow the highness of the that bar!)

Wow. I've that trope/move in so much anime. Never thought it'd be used live.

ZfVYpc6.gif

I loved that film so much. There were a lot of nice changes and touches they made to really translate the game setting for live action, like using holographic projectors for presenting evidence, or having background characters dress just as wacky/goofy as the main characters so they don't seem out-of-place.

Jintor

I loved that film so much. There were a lot of nice changes and touches they made to really translate the game setting for live action, like using holographic projectors for presenting evidence, or having background characters dress just as wacky/goofy as the main characters so they don't seem out-of-place.

I love that movie a lot but one of my favourite gags is that the whole first case takes place before the first time you even see phoenix and the court attendant poker-faced throwing confetti in the air

Quasar

The Ancient Magus' Bride - 1 - Was alright. Kept having flashbacks of Shirayuki.

Foodwars 2.11 - Nice little episode. Am liking it more now that we've stepped away from competition episodes.

Ascheroth

Kuromukuro #22

Great episode again.

Finally we learned what happened between Zeru and Yukinas dad. Have to say, I really liked that flashback and
how he died. It was just bad luck and pretty mundane but that makes it somehow really refreshing.
Muetta has become a pretty great character.

Now onto 23, the endgame is near.

Love Live Sunshine 11

XsPdnER.jpg
4GsqAgz.jpg

Mari Note: You has pretty big tits. Mari Note: Don't grab You's tits from behind.

Didn't expect an episode about jealousy but I guess I should have since this is a more emotional series than the original was. Funny the way Chika and Riko were I totally forgot that You was her best friend and not Riko.

Cornbread78

No need to call tokodora names.

Yeah, why is Tadokoro (wench) even in the running :v
Erina has it in the bag :p

But Erina is the best thing in Souma.

erina x soma

No. Hisako just needs to be far away for a while.

Sup, Kiritobread?

Uggh, what am I reading?

tumblr_inline_nqqb0jWGSq1rk3q45_540.png

Yes, it will be okay.... These two are a better pairing. Screw the inhuman tsundere!

cj_iwakura

Ataru is scum, but he has hero moments in the movies.

Sort of.

Terror In Resonance 02

I'm hoping this is going to turn into a gripping procedural crime drama, but somehow I'm not optimistic.

cj_iwakura

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works 4

Why is Saber acting like a schoolgirl? Why is such a dull protagonist building a harem? Why is Tohsaka such a tsundere?

Zzz.

Much like the VN, it eventually pays off.

Eventually.
It doesn't hit the ground running like Zero, though. Not even close.

And Rin is the quintessential tsundere, the one to which all tsunderes aspire.

Sölf

Alderamin 09+10
Well, that escalated quickly. Didn't excpect Ikta really doing that in front of Nana. Also, we Lotgh now. Wenli vs. Reinhard inc!

Qurupeke

Princess Jellyfish 1

So, the series was actually pretty impressive. Nice visuals and it's quite funny too. The story and the characters have a lot of potential for interesting developments,
though I didn't expect that the princess was a guy!

Kana Hanazawa's voice is the most impressive aspect of the series. Great performance. Looking forward to the rest.

Cyanity

Banned
Hi Anime-GAF! Other than JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, I've missed out entirely on anime this year. Any must-watch shows out there, or was anime kind of meh this year?

Hi Anime-GAF! Other than JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, I've missed out entirely on anime this year. Any must-watch shows out there, or was anime kind of meh this year?
Anime was great this year so far!

I grealy recommend My Hero Academia! Awesome cast of characters with amazing fight scenes.

I'll also add
Tanaka-kun
Haikyu
Gundam Iron blooded orphans
Ajin
Concrete Revolutio
Mob psycho 100
Tales of Zestiria the X
Twin star exorcist

Cornbread78

Souma S2 ep.11
Ahh, that was great. I really enjoyed this episode to follow up from the tournament. Arato was a pretty good change of pace from the rest of the crew as well. Good stuff.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Diamond is unbreakable 24
That was greaaat! Kira is an interesting antagonist. His OCD and clean freak habit getting in a way of him killing Koichi is awesome. Then there's Koichi taunting Kira. Voice acting was on point.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 10

"Yeah, i'm going to trust a guy who betray me once and also known as a legendary thief. Nothing could go wrong with this one!"
Shang might be one hell of a fighter, but he's not really the sharpest tool in the shed...
On the other hand, spear boy triggering all those death flag...

Qurupeke

Mob Psycho 100 is amazing and it's a show that is airing this season. Great action and god tier animation. Last season had Space Patrol Luluco and Kiznaiver, both of them were great. The first one is a short comedy, the other is more of a drama but it has its fair share of humor.

Ascheroth

Mob Psycho 100
Thunderbolt Fantasy
Kuromukuro
Kiznaiver
Space Patrol Luluco
Re:Zero (though opinion on this are pretty split lol)
Alderamin on the Sky
My Hero Academia (the pacing can be too slow at times, but it's still a very entertaining watch if you're in the mood for some battle-shonen)

Sölf

91 Days is currently airing and really good. Else, the things that were already mentioned.

Thud

Watch Mob Psycho 100

I don't find 2016 to be particularly good, but the summer season has been great to me. If we ignore Berserk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom