• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Hi Anime-GAF! Other than JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, I've missed out entirely on anime this year. Any must-watch shows out there, or was anime kind of meh this year?

Below are sone excellent series from this year:

Erased
Konosuba
ReZero
Kiznaiver
My Hero Academia
91 Days

Sterok

Full Moon wo Sagashite 16-17

Finally, a dick rival. There are not enough of those in the idol anime I've seen. Madoka is ruthless, but I'm surprised the supervisor let her get away with open antagonism. Mitsuki probably shouldn't have talked about Takuto's past, but to be fair she has no reason to think there's an issue with it. Shinigami now have a death flag. Not a good sign. Takuto and Meroko are both stubborn fools in their own way. I'm not a fan of Takuto/Mitsuki since Takuto created her older form, so for him to be attracted to that is, yeah. Also a long shot, but he might be Mitsuki's father? Same hair color, and they both have something to do with music. Which would explain why he was so quick to help her out actually. Meanwhile, Mitsuki's cancer picks the perfect time to start acting up again. If that starts affecting her older form, hoo boy.

Uggh, what am I reading?

tumblr_inline_nqqb0jWGSq1rk3q45_540.png

Yes, it will be okay.... These two are a better pairing. Screw the inhuman tsundere!
Season 3 will prove that she's the best thing since sliced bread huehue

kewlmyc

Trails of Cold Steel II

Best mecha anime of 2016.

You beat the game already? Isn't it like 100 hours?

Tales of Zestiria the X 10
Oh no, we're now approaching the point where perfectly perfect Rose takes over the story.

The way they have her joining the story in the anime is completely different in the game. She's interacting with Alisha more and I don't even think she's talked to Sorey and the gang in a while. She's joining Alisha's cause and they seem like they're going off to do they're own thing. Since they're going a different direction, they might change some of her sloppy writing as well.

Clov

I don't know about muted; I would say the majority of impressions I've seen of Harmony, at least outside GAF, are viciously negative. People really hate the film.

I honestly haven't seen that many impressions of it outside of Gaf. I've seen only two or three reviews of the film, all of which were very negative. I guess I'm really in the minority here. Part of me feels that the negative reviews from sites like ANN are dissuading people from giving it a shot, but I have no way of knowing that for sure.

Cyanity

Banned
Thanks for the recommendations! I'll start with Mob Psycho 100 and then move on to My Hero Academia afterward. We'll see from there.

blurr

Arakawa Under the Bridge 02-03

Nino's stoic personality and Ko's hyper active/talkative personality make for a good pair.

Some new characters were introduced each more or less as surreal as the other. I chuckled at Ko commenting "that's not sister, a brother in disguise". Likewise, it still manages to get a few chuckles from me to a degree I'd expect.

Narrative wise it tries to isolate Ko from what he is in the world's view(financially, educationally, popularity) and look at him as a person which is cool but so far little to nothing profound was relayed. The monogatari-esque blurring of the world or people irrelavant to the main narrative through "no face" personalities helps out in this case.

The fact that they live under the bridge and beside a lake gives this damp feeling, it's geographically and perhaps out of metaphorical reasons chosen as the set for this show since it juxtaposed a more natural habitat within an urban landscape indicating simpler(albeit silly) life under the megastructures of society.

Or perhaps I'm just reading into this too much. I really need to watch more of this to say further.

Sterok

Full Moon wo Sagashite 18-19

Is Meroko trying to save or kill Mitsuki? Because sometimes I can't tell. It's hard seeing Mitsuki try so hard when she's sick like that. And of course everything has to blow up eventually. Full Moon's cover was always pretty weak. But Takuto is devoted to her if nothing else. It would be interesting to see Mitsuki run away to America. In a hypothetical situation. Well, that's not a solution. The one they find is... telling the truth to Wakaouji and Ooshige? Huh, don't see that too often. It's a lot to take in for those two, especially the Mitsuki is dying part, but it should make things more convenient in the long run.

Wanderer5

Orange #11

Er wow, guess we needed some conflict, but that? Naho and Kakeru are kind of bringing this show down (more so Naho).:/

Meanwhile there is poor Suwa, who is probably the best character in the show, and he is the one getting the short end of the stick pretty much.

Active Raid S2 10
And there it is, the twist that everyone was expecting. The backstory focus on Boss and Kuroki, and especially their differing reactions to
Inagi's betrayal
was nice to see. Tying all the various episodic stuff together, from both this season and the first one, was also pretty neat. Didn't expect to see Train Man, and especially didn't expect to see the recurring pickpocket background girl to get a relevant speaking role.

Looks like they're off to space next episode?

T-Rex.

Banned
Re:ZERO #24

So weird seeing everything work out as planned. C'mon Betelgeuse, the witch, anyone evil, I expect more from you guys.

So you have reached that point. You are in too deep, there's no escaping it now.
I thought you were quoting Linkin Park for a second there :lol

Orange #11

Er wow, guess we needed some conflict, but that? Naho and Kakeru are kind of bringing this show down (more so Naho).:/

Meanwhile there is poor Suwa, who is probably the best character in the show, and he is the one getting the short end of the stick pretty much.
Looks to me like everyone was happier when he was dead. Including the fans.

Exalted

Re Zero episode 24

Well things went a bit different than the last time.
His re spawn point moved as people predicted.
That bit of info about Emilia was interesting, was also the same as what i was thinking on why the cult is so interested in Emilia.

Only one more episode :(

Don't know how they will really close anything with only one more episode . We won't get an explanation, on why the letter was blank will we ?

I tried so hard
And got so far
But in the end
It doesn't even matter
I had to fall
To lose it all
But in the end
It doesn't even matter

Every anime season in a nutshell.

If we're talking Linkin Park and AMVs, I should probably mention that you get...quite a few results by searching: "Tokyo Ghoul Linkin Park" on Youtube.

That series practically exploded with the Linkin Park fans.

Qurupeke

Orange 11

What the fucking hell. lol

Naho somehow repeats her mistake and Kakeru is a hothead. And with that, we're closer to the dramatic finale, I suppose. Meanwhile, Suwa is so based, that I feel so bad about him. Seeing photos of the child that is not going to exist in this reality. This is suffering.

Batman vs Superman Dawn of Trash by Amazing Visionary Hack "Fraud" Snyder and David Shit Goyer

I finally saw this and I hated it. It's amazing how Snyder can take a 20 year old comic (The Dark Knight Returns) and do a terrible fucking job of it while tricking people into believing that taking a dark turn on Superheroes and presenting them as ideologically flawed is some kind of brave turn for the industry. The guy that directed Watchmen.

Actually worse then Man of Steel. Actually worse then Sucker Punch. Batman and Robin was more enjoyable. Slightly better then Green Lantern. I'd like to give applause to WB for looking at Snyder's work and deciding he was their guy, because that's stupid.

I could be 1000x meaner but its old hat by now. If I had watched this when it came out I would've written a goddamn book.

Batman vs Superman Dawn of Trash by Amazing Visionary Hack "Fraud" Snyder and David Shit Goyer

I finally saw this and I hated it. It's amazing how Snyder can take a 20 year old comic (The Dark Knight Returns) and do a terrible fucking job of it while tricking people into believing that taking a dark turn on Superheroes and presenting them as ideologically flawed is some kind of brave turn for the industry. The guy that directed Watchmen.

Actually worse then Man of Steel. Actually worse then Sucker Punch. Batman and Robin was more enjoyable. Slightly better then Green Lantern. I'd like to give applause to WB for looking at Snyder's work and deciding he was their guy, because that's stupid.

I could be 1000x meaner but its old hat by now. If I had watched this when it came out I would've written a goddamn book.

WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME?!?

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Re Zero episode 24

Well things went a bit different than the last time.
His re spawn point moved as people predicted.
That bit of info about Emilia was interesting, was also the same as what i was thinking on why the cult is so interested in Emilia.

Only one more episode :(

Don't know how they will really close anything with only one more episode . We won't get an explanation, on why the letter was blank will we ?
I heard next episode is a double ep like the first episode, so technically two more episodes to go?

It's called Re: Zero because when you see it you do a 360 and walk away

It's because you spin around in your chair praising it's amazingness, then proceed to keep watching more and more.

Re:Zero 24

Emilia? More like EmilzZzzZzzia.

A bit like the series itself. The novelty wore off, and now it's basically like watching someone play a videogame, dying in an area, and then quickloading and using that extra knowledge of what's ahead to cheese the game.

Orange - 11

Fucking hell.
Poor Suwa even has pictures of himself in the future and of his baby. And he goes and tells her to go to Kakeru still,
UGH. So fucking frustrating this show.

Seems obvious to me why the letter was blank, and if so, would be the best twist ever. This is total speculation, but I will spoiler it anyways:

Rem has somehow disappeared due to the whale's fog. She was not mentioned once since the battle. Someone with more desire than I should go see the last time she was shown/mentioned. If this is the case, will the show ever even acknowledge her again? I would love the suffering this would cause!

phaze

Casshern Sins 13-14

DUN DUN DUN

Impossible to gauge what Luna's, if it is indeed Luna, deal is but the way her reappearance was framed doesn't doe well. Maybe "Ruin is the salvation of man and machine" is her very own idee fixe ?

Tales of Zestiria 01

I swear, the episode 0 or whatever I watched 2 months ago had completely different thing going on.

I still detest the character designs and this new duo isn't helping.

Exalted

I heard next episode is a double ep like the first episode, so technically two more episodes to go?

Nice, didn't know that.

Hope they at least finish this arc, and are not tempted to do any cliffhangers. That blank letter has me worried, since i can already see how they might do a horror style cliffhanger at the last minute with it. Speculation ;
Subaru defeats the witches cult and is victorious and celebrating and in the last scene of the show asks about Rem and the blank letter, and realises nobody knows Rem since she doesn't exist anymore (hence blank letter), next enter menacing DUN DUN DUN soundtrack and enter credits? :p

Wanderer5

Orange - 11

Fucking hell.
Poor Suwa even has pictures of himself in the future and of his baby. And he goes and tells her to go to Kakeru still,
UGH. So fucking frustrating this show.

It a shame cause it has some interesting concepts and some nice moments with the group as a whole, but this whole Kakeru x Naho has ended up dragging it down.:(

Seems obvious to me why the letter was blank, and if so, would be the best twist ever. This is total speculation, but I will spoiler it anyways:

Rem has somehow disappeared due to the whale's fog. She was not mentioned once since the battle. Someone with more desire than I should go see the last time she was shown/mentioned. If this is the case, will the show ever even acknowledge her again? I would love the suffering this would cause!

Nice, didn't know that.

Hope they at least finish this arc, and are not tempted to do any cliffhangers. That blank letter has me worried, since i can already see how they might do a horror style cliffhanger at the last minute with it. Speculation ;
Subaru defeats the witches cult and is victorious and celebrating and in the last scene of the show asks about Rem and the blank letter, and realises nobody knows Rem since she doesn't exist anymore (hence blank letter), next enter menacing DUN DUN DUN soundtrack and enter credits? :p

Well there will be a twist, that's for sure. I'm pretty sure we'll see the results next episode. Granted, it's not like Rem was needed for anything.

I do know the answer to the questions though

Re:Zero - 24

A lot of questions are still up in the air, but we finally know why Emilia is sought after by the Archbishops. Subaru uses one last loop and all of the knowledge he gained over time to bring about what seems to be a swift victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom