• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
NaDannMaGoGo, I'm holding you responsible !

----

There's repetition that can become grating at some point but I feel the other facets of the show are amazing enough to offset it. And the episodic nature would fit the one episode per day schedule. It's a college setting, unique artstyle, somewhat of a love story (ding ding) and got a satisfying ending. The one true authority on anime has already spoken:
tatamiw7s1d.png

I rest my case.

It's kind of funny, I supposed I so entranced by The Tatami Galaxy, by their characters, the setting, the art style, the writing... that I barely noticed the repetition.

So are we supposed to be hyped for Classicaloid?

Based on that clip is looks like quite the ugly mess.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4toqa6_classicaloid-clip_tv

Looks great to me. Give me manly Beethoven and moe Mozart.

I'm sorry, I only watch mature shows with a MAL score of 8.4+ like UBW and Re: Zero.

Shows like this, or Danball Senki, are not my cup of tea. They're pretty long, they have a lot of kids as protagonists and they seem like the "silly but fun" type of show. I really like your enthusiasm for them and I'd like to support you, but I think they're just not for me.

Majin Bone is not a "silly but fun" type of show. Far from it actually. The characters are constantly being developed and built upon with every episode, and every issue in the show is taken seriously.

The show has such a sincerity to it that I haven't seen any other children's anime do before.

Yes, there's some silly and fun moments throughout the show, but not so much as the average airing show. And its delivery of its overall message and final resolution was something that blew me away. It felt like something that was aimed at adults so much as it was for kids.

Try and at least give the first few episodes a shot, because I went into Majin Bone thinking it was going to be nothing more than a "silly but fun" show.

NaDannMaGoGo, I'm holding you responsible !

Nah I'm pretty sure someone else made that specific comment about it being a bad fit for that let's watch style.

Mob - 11

Emotionally neither the beginning nor end really hit me at all. Earlier this series actually made me empathize decently with Mob and co. but this time around the moments felt kinda impact-less. Well, might be that I find it hard to care for Reigen being slain when he's demanding Mob not to resort to violence while all four of them are clearly in deadly peril... Not even (read: especially) some cliché flashback will nullify that stupidity.

Too bad, because I really liked Reigen otherwise this episode.

Animation and art direction keep delivering of course. Some more glass animation even! Loved the poorly drawn faces for the henchmen, too.

It never fails to sadden me at how easily ignored I am whenever I bring up Majin Bone in here.

It's depressing to think that so many people ignore this wonderful show either because it's a kids show based off a digital card game or its 6.85 MAL rating.

I know I don't stop talking about it in here and it's probably annoying to some, but I seriously don't want this criminally underrated and underwatched show to end up forgotten in here.

I originally watched the first 3 episodes and quit, but I decided to rewatch at I believe about the same time you were watching it actually and yeah it got much better very quickly

Shows like this, or Danball Senki, are not my cup of tea. They're pretty long, they have a lot of kids as protagonists and they seem like the "silly but fun" type of show. I really like your enthusiasm for them and I'd like to support you, but I think they're just not for me.

You don't have to watch it - I understand how daunting 52 episodes can seem when you're looking at the number - but Majin Bone is not an especially silly show. There are comedic moments, of course, but overall it's a serious show with a focus on extended character development and action.

What the fuck does this even mean?

"Episode 25 didn't show everything! You can read it now! And guess what? You will be getting the sequel to the anime in 2 months when the next chapter is out!"

Basically that the sequel to the anime is this book coming up. Whether that means we will never be getting an anime sequel and they are flat out telling you that, or whether it is marketing capitalizing on the show's success to sell more LN copies, or a mix of both, no clue.

"Episode 25 didn't show everything! You can read it now! And guess what? You will be getting the sequel to the anime in 2 months when the next chapter is out!"

Basically that the sequel to the anime is this book coming up. Whether that means we will never be getting an anime sequel and they are flat out telling you that, or whether it is marketing capitalizing on the show's success to sell more LN copies, or a mix of both, no clue.

The sequel to the anime is not coming anytime soon, given it covered all 8 novels currently out in stores

The sequel to the anime is not coming anytime soon, given it covered all 8 novels currently out in stores
We know that. But we don't know if they are ruling out ever making a sequel or not with the "the sequel is in the books", that's what I mean. Could be a simple strategy to get folks to read the books and gauge interest, or they could simply be saying "yup we did our part, now continue with the LN". It may be too early to know really.

phaze

It's kind of funny, I supposed I so entranced by The Tatami Galaxy, by their characters, the setting, the art style, the writing... that I barely noticed the repetition.

Yeah, I dare say I've a hoopla on that issue and at one point, on ep 4 or 5, even despite all the great things the show was doing, the repetition did a bit get to me, but the slight twist to the formula in the next 3 eps was enough to take care of that.

Ascheroth

I'm sorry, I only watch mature shows with a MAL score of 8.4+ like UBW and Re: Zero.

Majin Bone isn't 'silly but fun'. Yeah, it has comedy, but it has a focus on action and character development with a great story. Danball Senki isn't either, but it's definitely a little 'kiddier' than Majin Bone. Both of them are longer shows, but not the kind of 'oh it's long, but that's because 50% of it is inconsequential filler no one gives a shit about'.
Hell, both of them are more 'mature' than UBW and Re:Zero :p

sonicmj1

No it did. In my fact my good sir, if you wanted to find out what the killer's motive was, you know, like the most important thing in ANY crime drama, you had to read the sequel book.

Im 20% mad right.

I thought the killer's motive was pretty clearly expressed, insane as it was.

We know that. But we don't know if they are ruling out ever making a sequel or not with the "the sequel is in the books", that's what I mean. Could be a simple strategy to get folks to read the books and gauge interest, or they could simply be saying "yup we did our part, now continue with the LN". It may be too early to know really.

You shouldn't try to read too deeply into an advertisement for the Re:Zero novels. I don't think the publisher intends for people to interpret this ad as meaning there will never be any more Re:Zero anime ever.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I thought the killer's motive was pretty clearly expressed, insane as it was.
It was but for some reason they couldn't have made it clearer for us casuals (me at the time). It wasnt until the 2 weeks ago from watching daily jojo that I understood what the guy's problem was.

Mob Psycho 100 - 11

Such a good episode, good lord. But next week...
Oh man.

You shouldn't try to read too deeply into an advertisement for the Re:Zero novels. I don't think the publisher intends for people to interpret this ad as meaning there will never be any more Re:Zero anime ever.
Yeah I'm pretty sure the ad itself is just capitalizing on the show's momentum and fandom to get folks to jump into the LN train and continue the story there. The fact that the creator would like to see the whole series animated, along with the fact that this show got a really good treatment (again 2 hour premiere, 2-cour, pretty decent production values all throughout), makes me believe they truly believed in this work and went all in. Just like with Steins;Gate, we got more, and are getting more soon with S;G 0 which is getting a release very close to the game. They seem to work in tandem with the original source creators and give the product as much care as they can. I don't think any of White Fox's output has gotten as much of a universal positive response as Steins;Gate (maybe Part-Time Devil?) so that, along with the creator actually wanting to see more more of this animated leads me to believe we WILL see more. Just not now. 2-3 years from now, maybe once more of the WN is adapted and released in the LN format.

Exalted

Moaradin

The art style is interesting, so i gave it a quick look, and watched 4-5 min.
I think it's too erratic show for me to enjoy at this time, it felt like a chore keeping up with the subtitles :s Maybe some other time.

That only really happens in the first episode

zulux21

yup the advertisment isn't.
we aren't going to make an anime sequel.

it's.
the anime just ended and if you want to know what happens this book right here is the sequel to the anime so come and get it if you want to know what happens next.

the writer has gone on record multiple times that ultimately he wants to have it all animated.
it's merch sales seem to be doing well, which is all that really matters as dvd/blu ray sales are pretty much meaningless in regards to a sequel.

so there is a good chance there will be a sequel in 3-4 years, if not well eventually the novels will be released.

speaking of novels, I just finished the first one... and Rem never stood a chance.

at the end of the book you have a blurb from the author, and over and over again he goes on and on about how much he loves silver haired females >.<;

random other thought.

just looked up the opening to re:zero to post somewhere.
two things I didn't pay attention to.

1. that the opening opens and ends on the same scene.

removed because it was added and I just didn't realize because the opening was played so few times during the run of the series.

phaze

The art style is interesting, so i gave it a quick look, and watched 4-5 min.
I think it's too erratic show for me to enjoy at this time, it felt like a chore keeping up with the subtitles :s Maybe some other time.

That only really happens in the first episode

Also, warning to not get discouraged by the barrage of words, words, words spewed at you with the speed of machine gun at the beginning, it's only like that in the first or first two eps

----------

this sword seems to be in most of the opening in the background.
what does it have to do with anything?
I don't remember a sword like that >.<;

lol

It's a copyright avoidance method I imagine. It's on some other openings too.
-----

By the way, I take it Haikyuu will count as one show in AOTY voting ?

------

Found my AOTY

random other thought.

this sword seems to be in most of the opening in the background.
what does it have to do with anything?
I don't remember a sword like that >.<;
Well shit, you are right. No idea. Maybe an LN reader would be able to tell us more, but it seems like it's something we didn't see.

Syrinx

Aikatsu! Stars 23

How come basically every major non-S4 character is in either Song or Beauty class? Balance this out a little.

zulux21

----------

lol

It's a copyright avoidance method I imagine. It's on some other openings too.

I see lol.

makes sense why I didn't remember it.
you are totally correct though it's not in the actual opening.

I would have normally just looked at that but it's so damn hard to find the opening in re:zero lol

Chase17

Kabaneri 04
Zombies are commandeering the train, and have learned sword fighting.
Good to see angry mobs still mad at the Kabaneri, hope to see that continue throughout the series regardless of how many times they save them.
Vintage Sawano during that fight scene.
Oh, Ikoma just took down the big guy like it was no big deal.

Yonafunu

OK, I did it. Hopefully people join into the fun. The art style is certainly unique and the synopsis sounds like fun!

a5NUeKz.png

0S8csSC.gif

Next Let's Watch is up:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=217399064#post217399064

Oh cool, I've been planning on watching this for years by now. I'll try to join when I can.

Mob Psycho 100

Damn that animation at the end. Some of those cuts looked very Yutapon, but looking at sakugabooru it's actually Hakuyu Go?
It's the first time I'm hearing of him, but damn if he didn't have me fooled with certain cuts. Good stuff.

I feel like every twist in DR3 was called in the first 4 episodes...

At least there are no snails in DR3

Thinking about it now, the dumbest thing in this episode is actually something else.
Apparently there was a switch in the power room all along that disables everyone's bracelets. That not-dead-Juzo just decides to flip now before dying for real.

Eumi

Haven't seen it yet but from this conversation I'm just going to assume that this next episode of DR3 will confirm that both it and Zero Escape take place in the same universe and that (spoilers for both series I guess)
the camera will just pan to the side to reveal that Junko was always there and just slightly off screen.

Then the last episode will end suddenly and what actually happens will be explained in a little booklet that comes with the DVD's.

Qurupeke

Macross Delta, a show that wasted my 24x25 minutes.

Just warning everyone, don't waste your time for it.

It's a shame, I picked it up at its peak, around episode 13, and it never reached that again. Instead it plummeted further and further down...

Maybe the movies will be conclusive with a lot of good action... They did wonders for Frontier.

It's a shame, I picked it up at its peak, around episode 13, and it never reached that again. Instead it plummeted further and further down...

Maybe the movies will be conclusive with a lot of good action... They did wonders for Frontier.
Guess I did well in putting a hold on it right there. These impressions lead me to believe I shouldn't bother with the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom