• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exalted

Macross Delta, a show that wasted my 24x25 minutes.

Just warning everyone, don't waste your time for it.
I'm at episode 19, haven't really been keeping up with the show regularly, since it wasn't really the most exciting thing, especially the second arc.
Would you say is it still worth it to finish the remaining episodes, and to get an ending, since i already invested quite a lot of time into it?

Wanderer5

Sweetness and Lightning #12 END

u2X5Iwg.jpg

Well that is it, and good enough way to end the series really, with everyone sitting together. It was a pretty cute show with some nice stuff about family, friendship, loss of a mother, etc sprinkled throughout. Maybe they could had push that more, but other it was enjoyable enough to come back seeing what they cook up next. And Tsumugi is a awesome child character who was very adorable and fun to see.

gargles

Danganronpa 3: Future - 11

One episode to go and there are still quite a lot of issues to deal with (
who is impersonating Tengan, was he really a Remnant of Despair, who produced that video, where is Togami and Hagakure, where is the 77th Class
). Want to know how will they answer these questions.
And
Juzo
... You may have helped
Junko by not telling Munakata she was the culprit
but what you've done now was great. You were great.

Mob Psycho 100 - 11

I'm not ready for next week's episode. Nope, I'm definitely not.

I may just do that. I'm afraid curiosity will make me want to check out more after though lol...

You could always watch the superior mecha show that you were watching before you picked up Delta instead you know! ;)

Tell me, what's the better option? Continuing with a show based on impressions that you find are less than favorable? Or continuing with a show based on impressions that are more than favorable?

You could always watch the superior mecha show that you were watching before you picked up Delta instead you know! ;)

Tell me, what's the better option? Continuing with a show based on impressions that you find are less than favorable? Or continuing with a show based on impressions that are more than favorable?
The best option is honestly Cold Steel II lol. Just got to Act
at nearly 20hrs, so I'd say I hope I am close to or around the middle of the game.

TTGL however I think would win the vote here tbh. I liked Delta for the characters, not really the mecha action, or even the music. Which funnily enough are the two biggest things in this show along with the choreography lol.

The best option is honestly Cold Steel II lol. Just got to Act
at nearly 20hrs, so I'd say I hope I am close to or around the middle of the game.

TTGL however I think would win the vote here tbh. I liked Delta for the characters, not really the mecha action, or even the music. Which funnily enough are the two biggest things in this show along with the choreography lol.

TTGL definitely wins in the characters, mecha action, and music compared to Delta.

Gainax went all out in it and stuff like episode 15 and 27 are regarded as some of the greatest highlights of mecha animation of all time.

And you've only heard a mere sample of TTGL's stupendous OST from the first three episodes. I can't wait until you hear Libera me From Hell in the show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Macross Delta, a show that wasted my 24x25 minutes.

Just warning everyone, don't waste your time for it.
What changed? I bailed when they tried to manipulate me with a cheap death and haven't really felt the need to engage with the show on a meaningful level since.
It's too bad because the first 8 episodes or so are great, and I still like that Ikenai Borderline song. It's just saddled with a terrible story that is centered around the worst villains I've seen in scifi since the Star Wars prequels.

Sweetness and Lightning #12 END

Well that is it, and good enough way to end the series really, with everyone sitting together. It was a pretty cute show with some nice stuff about family, friendship, loss of a mother, etc sprinkled throughout. Maybe they could had push that more, but other it was enjoyable enough to come back seeing what they cook up next. And Tsumugi is a awesome child character who was very adorable and fun to see.

This is just for me I guess, but did they ever deal with the fact that
the dad never told his daughter about her mom being dead?

Szadek

Heartcatch! Precure - Ep. 31-34
These 4 episodes were quite the ride.
Both side got a power up,the true main villain is coming close and most importantly Cure Moonlight is back!
Not to mention the fight scene were fantastic. The ones that stand out the most were the precure vs random fabulous guy and Moonlight vs Dark.
Looks like the next episode is slower and without any fights, and I'm ok with a such an episode right now.

Monster - Ep. 45-48
There was a of of backstroy in these episode, all of it was intersting.
The anime also does a very good job at making me paranoid.
Whenever I see Nina now I'm wondering if it's truely her and desperately waiting for some kind of confirmation

Taboo Tattoo 12

I want my fucking money back. This episode resolved fucking nothing. Read the manga situation here but that story is too trash for me to bother.

Macross Delta 25

You know as long as Mirage and Heinz survive all this shit that's all that matters. Oh and Hayate's dad is still a shit and deserved the fate he got why they are trying to make him out to be some noble fuck is beyond me.
Oh your actions only resulted in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent people in another city instead of the captial bravo!?
I hope the Windies kill everyone.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Macross Delta 25

You know as long as Mirage and Heinz survive all this shit that's all that matters. Oh and Hayate's dad is still a shit and deserved the fate he got why they are trying to make him out to be some noble fuck is beyond me.
Oh your actions only resulted in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent people in another city instead of the captial bravo!?
I hope the Windies kill everyone.
Wait, the whole thing began with the
Windamerians being responsible for using the WMD that fucked up their planet. They just retconned that?

Wait, the whole thing began with the
Windamerians being responsible for using the WMD that fucked up their planet. They just retconned that?
NUNs actually did it and controlled the media and stories around the incident to make it seem like the Windies did it to themselves. Windies know the truth which is why they are so royally pissed.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
NUNs actually did it and controlled the media and stories around the incident to make it seem like the Windies did it to themselves.
LOLOLOL

Well, I expected that
they'd need to contrive a reason for the two sides to work with each other, but wow.

Is that supposed to justify their shitty pure Aryan race bullshit?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
NUNs actually did it and controlled the media and stories around the incident to make it seem like the Windies did it to themselves. Windies know the truth which is why they are so royally pissed.
I just saw your edit.
That's even more aggravating because they show purposely tried to hide that fact from the audience...Although it was clear from the very beginning that they'd probably have to work together to "heal the rift" or whatever. I guess because they needed to have a stupid "dum dum duuuuum" twist near the end.

This is like not even a thing in the show. I don't know why you are obsessed with equating them to nazis.
They literally go on and on about how they're the true inheritors of protoculture ala the big lizard guys from Halo.

cj_iwakura

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works [END]

It was an okay ending. The climax had its moments and I liked that EoE like atmosphere, but F/Z certainly did it better. It had a more vague ending, but it was very well executed. UBW's ending was satisfying though.

So, I can't believe Kirei did... nothing... I was sure his death was another fake out. And it's completely ridiculous that Shinji was saved and essentially got his redemption. Not only that, but his final scene is so... normal, like he didn't harass Tohsaka or killed anyone...Also, I get that Sakura's story is in Heaven's Feel, but it's laughable how much screen time she has at the start and then she just disappears. I'm curious about Assassin though. Did he just wait to the temple all this time? It was like "Oh we forgot about him, let's give him something to do."

Overall, I guess it wasn't a waste of time. It had some nice scenes and some terrible ones. Saber got little to no characterization, though this applies to most of the other servants as well. I liked Caster and Archer, Lancer was fine, but the rest were forgettable. This applies to the general cast even more. The action was obviously top notch, unlimited budget works as people like to say...

I think I had enough of the FSN universe for now, if I'm not mistaken, nothing else is worth it anyway.

Not quite.

Kirei gets his comeuppance in Fate, and even more than that in Heaven's Feel. HF isn't HALF as good as UBW, but it's worth seeing for that, and Rider going full badass. Not to mention... other insane things. Assassin is bound to the temple, and never leaves. You learn more about Assassin in HF.

UBW is all about Emiya, Rin, and Gilgamesh getting his dues, and it delivers on every front there.

LOLOLOL

Well, I expected that
they'd need to contrive a reason for the two sides to work with each other, but wow.

Is that supposed to justify their shitty pure Aryan race bullshit?
I wouldn't agree with saying they're on that Aryan race shit. They certainly are proud of their heritage and runes but I'm slow to say they're space nazies.
They're moreso "These people fucked us over as hard as they possibly could then lied about it so yea we're going to go scorched earth on their asses.

I mean in the latest episode NUNS tried to fucking glass their planet with a fleet carrying dimensional weapons and Windies song controlled the fleet into killing themselves with them. Which gives more air to their argument of "Look see!? They want to kill all of us! We have to do this!"

Has Delta been same quality or worse than Frontier? I still got some enjoyement out of Frontier so if it is not that much worse maybe I watch it during some day.

I just saw your edit.
That's even more aggravating because they show purposely tried to hide that fact from the audience...Although it was clear from the very beginning that they'd probably have to work together to "heal the rift" or whatever. I guess because they needed to have a stupid "dum dum duuuuum" twist near the end.

I wouldn't say it was really trying very hard to hide it at all.
It was literally introduced as a "he said she said" event between both sides, and it's not like the NUNS side ever explicitly proved they didn't do it aside from some characters saying they didn't do it.

Cornbread78

Taboo Tattoo- End
The action scenes to close this out were actually pretty damn cool, but of course, the "power of asspull" saves the day. Does anyone care that this series will never get a season 2 (I really hope not since the offensive parties are still alive). Oh well, the beginning of the show and it's disgusting otaku pandering ruined it and better late episodes couldn't save it. Oh, and a story? There was none... go read the fucking manga bitches.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But they don't talk about purity. If they're Nazis then so is pretty much every villainous alien race.
Yes, I compared them (at least on IRC anyway) to Dessler from the Yamato reboot. But at least up to the point before I bailed, there was very little subtlety to any of it. There was some conflict between the guy with the glasses and the other guy, but for me all of that was drowned out by the redhead guy who was basically a raging Trump supporter. #MakeWindamereGreatAgain

I wouldn't say it was really trying very hard to hide it at all.
It was literally introduced as a "he said she said" event between both sides, and it's not like the NUNS side ever explicitly proved they didn't do it aside from some characters saying they didn't do it.
I think starting off with them seemingly indiscriminately invading a planet at the very beginning set expectations though. It's literally a girl who wants to be an idol, a happy go lucky pacifist pilot, and a bunch of evil aliens trying to kill civilians. At least in the first eight episodes or so, it didn't seem like the show was trying to set up the Windameres as necessarily sympathetic and justified in their acts of aggression. Needless to say, they made it very easy to believe that they were responsible for causing their own misfortune at that point.

I wouldn't agree with saying they're on that Aryan race shit. They certainly are proud of their heritage and runes but I'm slow to say they're space nazies.
They're moreso "These people fucked us over as hard as they possibly could then lied about it so yea we're going to go scorched earth on their asses.
The redhead basically calls Freyja a race-traitor though.

I mean in the latest episode NUNS tried to fucking glass their planet with a fleet carrying dimensional weapons and Windies song controlled the fleet into killing themselves with them. Which gives more air to their argument of "Look see!? They want to kill all of us! We have to do this!"
Having no context, I just assume
that the last twelve episodes are a serious of purposeful misunderstandings to set up the ending. I mean at the point where I stopped watching, the Windameres were poisoning people with apples in order to enslave the fathers of poor children while setting up a massive invasion force.

Is the ending to Zero Escape that bad?

Because, fuck, I'm just about to sit down to play it.

Yeah, pretty much.

It's a shame because around the 2/3rds mark of the story or so you get some really interesting stuff and some fantastic scenes that on their own are really excellent.

And then the ending actively destroys pretty much every moment of those, goes out of its way to ruin every bit of Virtue's Last Reward that it can, and basically just disappoints on every level.

There should never have been a sequel to 999.

Agreed.

I liked VLR at the time, but as I get further on I pretty much think that 999 should have never had a sequel. The ending to that game was so great, and everything Uchikoshi has done since has just made it worse.

999 is still the greatest thing ever made so it's all good. VLR was cool but not as good. ZTD was just ok for me. It's highs were high enough for me to consider the ending pleasing. I just wanted to see how he put an end to the story. Sort like with Danganronpa 3 now, although the two aren't really comparable since the latter has slipped into bad territory because of Despair.

I like ZTD, but on this we agree 100%. Still, both the sequels had their moments.

ZTD had its moments, but those moments were all pretty much retroactively ruined by the ending.
It's a bit hard to have any feelings left for all of the Sigma/Diana/Phi stuff when Complex Motives reveals that he just set the whole thing up so that he and Phi could be conceived.

i still like dr3 and ztd more then apollo justice

This is craziness. Apollo Justice's first case was fantastic, and even at its dumbest it wasn't going into the bullshit that ZTD was spewing out at the end.

For those interested in animation technique, check out this fascinating article about how the Pokemon animation team at OLM have been working to incorporate digital animation (i.e., drawing on tablets instead of paper and pencil) into their working process. The animation staff talk about the difficulties of adapting Western software for use by Japanese animators, and some of the specific approaches they take to creating quality digital work. I think you can see the fruits of their labors in Sun and Moon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom