• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re:Zero 15

I've been watching this anime for a while now. I liked it, but I never had any desire to talk about it. But after this episode I searched for an OT just so I can experience the episode again vicariously. Wow, the suffering in this episode (or really this series). I've no idea what I would do if I were in Subaru's shoes. I definitely didn't pick up on the thing at the end being
Puck.
The end credits was mind blowing. I don't really watch anime that often, so I don't know if there's more like that out there, but this one just hit me hard. I really felt like I just watched the ending of a tragic movie. It didn't even feel like an anime episode at that point.

I enjoy romance, but I just let the anime do its own thing and never really input my own opinion in what I want to happen between characters. I don't really ship characters. But I've been rooting for Rem for weeks now and I need this to happen.

blurr

So I hit up Wikipedia and WTF? Does the show ever drop hints of this eventual end because I thought it had seemed sweet from the description?

you didn't watch the show? they don't hint on it at all, best thing to do is to watch the show and ignore the fact that there's a manga it was adapted from

you didn't watch the show? they don't hint on it at all, best thing to do is to watch the show and ignore the fact that there's a manga it was adapted from

Great, I like these stories if I don't need to worry about that ugliness. I'd seen some dark mutterings about where it ended up but I was never sure if it was from the manga or the anime, delighted to hear I don't have to worry about any of that in the anime.

Line_HTX

New Game! 01

Haha, that Starbucks logo and Red Gull.

Need cream in coffee or RIOT!

Yagami Ko and Hazuki Shizuku are great already. This is going to be very enjoyable at the office. So glad I stumbled upon their Twitter account with all of the Aoba >_< faces.

Mailbox

I decided to see what the conclusion of the Usagi Drop manga was.

ok.

it's ruined.

what the heck.

why...

You done fucked up. Why did you think l always used the
post time-skip
stuff as a negative?

So I hit up Wikipedia and WTF? Does the show ever drop hints of this eventual end because I thought it had seemed sweet from the description?

No, It never does. The anime is purely wholesome which is why it remains great and why no one ever asks for more.

Line_HTX

dj2OFK3.gif

Sölf;209669608 said:
Too much other stuff, especially games.

I think I started watching around Episode 12. My friends tried to get me to watch it since Episode 1. I'm not a huge anime fan, and it usually takes me a pretty long time to decide to sit down and start watching. I remember thinking to myself I'd watch maybe three episodes the first day, but I ended up watching seven. Again, I don't watch much anime, but I think the series is pretty good. There's a fair bit of stuff I don't like, like how one of the characters talk or how animated the newly revealed villain is (though people have been raving about him), but I'm the kind of guy who just watches anime to see what happens. I'll forgive pacing issues (I'm not even really perceptive to them) and bad or annoying characters as long as it keeps me intrigued on what's going to happen next.

Sweetness and Lightning- 1

Ok the daughter is seriously cute and endearing. Feel sorry for the guy about his wife and you can see pockets of sadness in the show. Gonna be on my watch list for the coming months :)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The more important question is, why haven't you already?

Because most other shows this year that this community has hyped up have all failed to deliver i.e. Lost Village and Big Order. I've learnt better than to follow the whims of others and just stick to what my instincts choose.

blurr

I pretty much picked Mayoiga out of my own volition and I was surprised at how much it engaged the community. I found it interesting in the sense that it has a 'different from the usual' setting, large cast etc so I figured even if it does screw up eventually, there has to be something of value in it i.e. an idea or a theme.

It was as I had imagined in terms of its largely debated "deliberately bad" sense of direction and some themes it dabbled on although I am yet to watch the final episode.

Ascheroth

Because most other shows this year that this community has hyped up have all failed to deliver i.e. Lost Village and Big Order. I've learnt better than to follow the whims of others and just stick to what my instincts choose.

I always thought there was no other reason to watch Big Order besides morbid curiosity.
As for Mayoiga..

Well let's just say bying into "so bad it's going to be amazing" hype doesn't seem to be a good idea if the show isn't already over.

And I'm preeeetty sure the Re:Zero hype is not the "so bad it's good" kind.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
In the "this is so bad it's gonna have a great payoff" way, not "this will be a quality show" way.

To answer your question about Re: Zero and what's it about, here is a spoilery way I can explain it to this point:

It starts off like a cliche anime of a guy suddenly being dropped off in a fantasy world, and he believes he's destined to be a 'hero from another world', but turns out his only gain is now when he dies, he goes back to a previous point, a 'checkpoint' of sorts, to be given another chance.

That's all fine and good, but the series starts running really deeply with its themes, and our main character begins experiencing PTSD from witnessing all those he care about die, himself dying, and often in increasingly brutal ways, and then he has to start all over like there's nothing wrong, and memories he has of time's he's spent together with others them not remembering and not understanding where he's coming from. When he tries to talk about it, either the past lives or what's happening to him, a strange shadowy hand only he seems to be able to see takes grasp of him and won't let him speak of it, leading to further misunderstandings.

The series has murder mystery elements, psychological thriller, some fantasy-action stuff, but its biggest strength is its writing and very well-done character development. A lot of the characters are likable.

What has episode 15 so freaked out with everyone is that it was getting dark, sure, but it just got drastically darker, not in a left turn way, it just went a lot more extreme and detailed than I think any of us expected. It also cemented one of the characters who've been one of the few to see the good qualities of the MC no one else seems to see (even some of the audience) cement her position as best girl in a very tragic scene where her legs and arms were twisted and she crawls over with the last of her strength to free him of some binds. And the episode had fantastic animation, great use of angles, details. You can tell they spent a lot of time storyboarding this episode and it makes absolute fantastic, almost cinematic use of itself and one of the best credit rolls I and many others have seen in some time.

Basically it was an surprisingly dark, well-done, with some humorous moments from the villain, some well-done touching moments that were also well built up to, but managed to still be shocking and well done downer episode that was incredibly well built up to. People were kind of annoyed at the last couple episodes due to some things, but this was fantastic pay-off for what they were building up with the move.

With the way people talk about Re:Zero lately, the show sounds like Dancer in the Dark, except the protagonist being abused is a total jerk instead of pure and innocent. I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse.

I pretty much picked Mayoiga out of my own volition and I was surprised at how much it engaged the community. I found it interesting in the sense that it has a 'different from the usual' setting, large cast etc so I figured even if it does screw up eventually, there has to be something of value in it i.e. an idea or a theme.

It was as I had imagined in terms of its largely debated "deliberately bad" sense of direction and some themes it dabbled on although I am yet to watch the final episode.

Personally I feel like Mayoiga ultimately had nothing of value. Some of the nonsensical character interactions were amusing, especially at the beginning when there was a certain novelty factor, but the show felt like the creators quickly got bored of it and were just going through the motions.

Dusk Golem

I actually really like Subaru in Re: Zero. I think a lot of his flaws are actually incredibly human and in some ways relatable, but that might be why some people dislike him recently so much. Not saying he didn't have some of what happened coming, but basically he wants to be a good person, but he's pushing himself way beyond his limit physically, mentally, and it is progressively taking more and more of a toll on him. But he's actually been one of my favorite protagonist in recent memory, but I think part of it is he's incredibly flawed, but not in an unrealistic way, and the writing and characterization has done a good job at showing both his desire to be good, his ugly side, and his character growth (and growing dissonance from everything as he's experiencing his and those close to him's deaths over and over).

Ascheroth

I actually really like Subaru in Re: Zero. I think a lot of his flaws are actually incredibly human and in some ways relatable, but that might be why some people dislike him recently so much. Not saying he didn't have some of what happened coming, but basically he wants to be a good person, but he's pushing himself way beyond his limit physically, mentally, and it is progressively taking more and more of a toll on him. But he's actually been one of my favorite protagonist in recent memory, but I think part of it is he's incredibly flawed, but not in an unrealistic way.

That pretty much is how I feel about him as well.
Subaru really acted like a jerk the last 2 episodes, but it didn't come out of nowhere, it was understandable why he acted that way.

Also, this episode had a single remark, that made the reasons behind his actions click so much more for me,
Betelgeuse calling Subaru 'Pride'.

blurr

Personally I feel like Mayoiga ultimately had nothing of value. Some of the nonsensical character interactions were amusing, especially at the beginning when there was a certain novelty factor, but the show felt like the creators quickly got bored of it and were just going through the motions.

True, those sequences were amusing although few in number. I also liked to see what ridiculous forms their fears/troubled past took.

One guy's manifestation was the texture of the wooden table he was staring at during the time he was being scolded/lectured at work. I was utterly baffled at the choice.

Dusk Golem

That pretty much is how I feel about him as well.
Subaru really acted like a jerk the last 2 episodes, but it didn't come out of nowhere, it was understandable why he acted that way.

Also, this episode had a single remark, that made the reasons behind his actions click so much more for me,
Betelgeuse calling Subaru 'Pride'.

I took particular notice of that too. It's obvious the witch want him for some reason, or else why would they keep reviving him, keep his mouth shut, and the scent of the witch grows stronger on him. Him being pride makes a lot of sense for his actions and biggest faults, and I find it interesting that it seems the witch may have selected a 'deadly sins' motif off people not only from her world, but other worlds. I am very curious how Sabura ties with the witch and her goals with making him pride.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
you guys are going too far with the re:zero love in. subaru blows. especially when you consider that white fox is coming off a series where the lead was keiji fujiwara. he fails a lot but his attributes, mannerisms, and goals are pretty far from human, and he has no real background or established relationships that really impact how he operates.

you guys are going too far with the re:zero love in. subaru blows. especially when you consider that white fox is coming off a series where the lead was keiji fujiwara. he fails a lot but his attributes, mannerisms, and goals are pretty far from human, and he has no real background or established relationships that really impact how he operates.

I'd not argue with you about whether Subaru is likeable or not but I would argue that he is ultimately very human. His weakness is consistent ('I am the MC, the world should bend to my awesomeness') and the show is consistent for punishing him for this because he has landed into the middle of
a very violent succession ritual
that he refuses to engage with or learn more about. That he is a NEET shut in is the most tropey thing about him but it reinforces his failings as we see he really does struggle to communicate with other people and misses obvious social cues. I'd be more down on him if he had 'learnt his lesson' within the first arc, people don't change that quickly and Subaru clinging to his worldview or simply breaking down feels more natural.

I'd not argue with you about whether Subaru is likeable or not but I would argue that he is ultimately very human. His weakness is consistent ('I am the MC, the world should bend to my awesomeness') and the show is consistent for punishing him for this because he has landed into the middle of
a very violent succession ritual
that he refuses to engage with or learn more about. That he is a NEET shut in is the most tropey thing about him but it reinforces his failings as we see he really does struggle to communicate with other people and misses obvious social cues. I'd be more down on him if he had 'learnt his lesson' within the first arc, people don't change that quickly and Subaru clinging to his worldview or simply breaking down feels more natural.

In the first couple episodes I did watch I saw absolutely nothing of that. He had no issue talking to everyone he met, for instance, becoming friends immediately with the humongous bar owner. That some NEET shut in privately training actually is a competent fighter in street brawls against thugs with weapons is hella unlikely, too.

I really believe that in his situation, any good soul would probably do the same as him. We are too used to having anime protagonists be good, myself included when for the past two weeks I felt disgusted with his words and actions, but that was on purpose to give us what we saw this week. Unlike with let's say Breaking Bad, where you watch the show and can't help but root for the protagonist that happens to be a villain, with Subaru we are filled with hate for his character. We all know he is wrong and so does every other character around him, even knowing all of his deaths helped everyone else. He doesn't have as much background characterization as I'd like but that's okay. We know who he is and the things he did up to this point.

I thought it was interesting
how the villain said that Subaru was just faking his insanity, even after going through all of that sudfering. I really wonder if that was just a shield he used due to the fact that the revival didn't solve everything like it always did before.
I also really liked the whole theory someone threw about him being called
Pride by the Sloth guy, and I too wonder if this summoning of people from other dimensions isn't the way how these Witch generals are brought here.

T-Rex.

Banned
Re:ZERO
If the 7 deadly sins being the servants of the witch theory pans out then shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. Imagine what's going to go down when Gluttony and Wrath turn up.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'd not argue with you about whether Subaru is likeable or not but I would argue that he is ultimately very human. His weakness is consistent ('I am the MC, the world should bend to my awesomeness')
So the same as all chuuni poop except it has to backfire on Subaru a few times before he gets things right. You can say he's punished but things do eventually go his way. Girls do fall in love with him. Subaru's lack of power ultimately becomes an appeal for viewers to idolize him. He's so weak but he can still accomplish so much because in reality he has the ultimate power. trooly incredible.

Seeing all this Re:Zero praise makes me want to dive in and give the show a full watch myself.

Or at least I would want to, had it not been for one particular thing that I read happens later on.

I'm not going to spoil anything or give hints (unless asked of course, I'll send you a PM), but let me just say that I suspect quite a few fans here will lose a lot of goodwill for the show when it finishes because of it.

I will say it's something that happens in the WN, so it might not happen in the LN (and thus not happen in the anime as well).

I'm just want to confirm that before I dive in, otherwise I'm staying away.

Zestiria the X. - 01

I'm really loving this. Ufotable keeping the quality bar real high. The skit at the end was funny too. This is really good for someone who dropped the game once it said you have to find all those stupid orbs. No thanks.

Re:Zero - 15

No words for this, really. Just... the best episode of an anime that I've seen in a long time. I love this show so much.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Seeing all this Re:Zero praise makes me want to dive in and give the show a full watch myself.

Or at least I would want to, had it not been for one particular thing that I read happens later on.

I'm just want to confirm that before I dive in, otherwise I'm staying away.

Yes, the rumours are true. From next week the shows takes a strange turn and reboots into an idol show.

Is this based off the same 4chan post that has been proven wrong for the most part, or actual LN spoiler?

Well, I got my spoilers from a certain pastebin, which I'm not sure if that's the post you're referring to.

What I'm talking about though hasn't happened in the LN yet, but it happens at the end of the anime's current arc in the WN. From what I read, whether or not it will happen in the LN as well will be confirmed in the LN's next volume.

faridmon

So I started watching Mayoiga and at EP.6, I freaking love it. This show is just sooooo Mari Okada with nonsensical character interaction and moodiness of their personality.

However, I have feeling that this show is not gonna have a satisfying conclusion to the mystery at hand. Hope I am wrong.

Ascheroth

Well, I got my spoilers from a certain pastebin, which I'm not sure if that's the post you're referring to.

What I'm talking about though hasn't happened in the LN yet, but it happens at the end of the anime's current arc in the WN. From what I read, whether or not it will happen in the LN as well will be confirmed in the LN's next volume.

iirc wasn't that some dumb thing from 4chan? I read about how people who knew what was going to happen were kind of miffed that people were believing that stuff.

it was a pastebin that was posted before the current arc and previous arc. All the information of the arc before this one was spot-on, so I didn't see a reason to believe they'd insert such a blatant lie for the current one.

Regardless the shit that bothers me about the show is still apparent so I don't regret dropping it even if the reason isn't as clear cut anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom