• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The question is, is Subaru
the Archbishop of Pride
?

The author is a sadist so I wonder if he will ever stop his sadism on Subaru and instead turn Subaru into a sadist self insert.

Some people also think that Subaru
will somehow become the main villain.
I doubt that lol.

Chapters 4-6 of DR2 are better than anything in DR1 and UDG has the best writing in the series with Komaru and Toko's interactions even if the main plot is really bad for the first half of the game (luckily like 80% of the script is just Komaru and Toko). Get back in.

it was quite the contrary for me, 2 was starkly more compelling than 1, I just lost my mind at the first case; I'd highly recommend playing 2 through out

Thanks for the responses, alright where's that damn charger then!

the Archbishop of Pride
?

The author is a sadist so I wonder if he will ever stop his sadism on Subaru and instead turn Subaru into a sadist self insert.

Some people also think that Subaru
will somehow become the main villain.
I doubt that lol.

I think if he did, that would make this entire journey stupid and pointless.

the Archbishop of Pride
?

Yup that's what I'm thinking
Satella chooses her victims for their defining weakness, drives them mad with time loops showing them the consequences of their sin over and over until they become cultists via some unexplained mechanic involving her 'smell'
. As for your second point for some people Subaru is probably already there.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mob Psycho 100 Episode 1:

So this is amongst Studio BONES most visually interesting works when things are on point, like it reminds me of the creative visual of Space Dandy at times. That being said I still find One's character designs to be fucking hideous most of the time, though I am guessing that is the point to such an eyesore. As for the show itself, I am not going to call it the best show of the season after one episode but it is by far the most interesting show this season.

Exalted

Mob Psycho 100 Episode 1

Well this was definitely something unique. The artstyle is really something one needs to get used to in this show. It had nice music and the fight animation where actuall physic powers were used were good.
Good show overall, but i personally didn't really like the comedy in it that much, and didn't enjoy the first episode as much as i did the first one in One Punch Man.

1VgpBgV.jpg

Re-Zero 1-2
(actually I'm at the start of ep 2)

Jeez, so dumb, he had to die three times to notice what is happening. The part where he was dying and then it's teleported to another place seems they weren't important for him!

I liked the interaction with Satella, how in one run he gained his trust and seemed she said a secret name, which in the next 'run' we learn is some kind of taboo. So I think she is hiding something.

But I hope the whole 'guy who behaves like an idiot because he think this is a LN/video game' ends soon. It was played for the laughs in the first episode, but if that's going to be his shtick, even when later the story turns more serious (as it seems it's the case from your comments), he is a total moron.

Visually it's a notable series, the capital really seems a big, bustling city, full of fantasy races in the streets.

Ascheroth

Mob Psycho 100 #1

The opening song is called 99, by Mob Choir. If there is perfection in this world, it is this.

And god damn did it look absolutely amazing. Like, wow.
Also, Reigen rules. I mean he has Saitama as his phone-background.

Mob Psycho 100 - 01

This show really managed to grab my attention with the visuals. Sweet animation and camera work. I found the comedy stuff serviceable, I'm more interested in seeing how much more visually creative the exorcism encounters will get if anything.

OP had some very neat transitions, dat nuke broccoli.

Mob Psycho 100 episode 1

OP is real great.

Utterly fantastic. Better then I had expected, and I had high expectations. Like the opposite of Berserk. I'm not even going to spam screencaps of how amazing this show looks and how much it oozes style because everyone should watch it for themselves. This is Ping Pong levels of visuals. If One Punch Man was full of amazing bursts of animation then Mob Psycho is fully polished to 75% of those scenes at nearly all times.

If you don't care for the comedy in OPM you likely won't care for it in MP100, but I think the animation style lends itself better to being comedic.

Mob Psycho 100 episode 1

This is Ping Pong levels of visuals.

Yeah, the "normal" visual aesthetic of the show is quite similar to Ping Pong. Only Mob Psycho has a higher variety of eccentric visual techniques (more similar to Yuasa's other shows in this respect), and higher production values because it's not being rushed to the point where it's a miracle the show released at all.

If you don't care for the comedy in OPM you likely won't care for it in MP100, but I think the animation style lends itself better to being comedic.

The direction in Mob Psycho feels snappier than that in OPM, so it's easier to get swept up in the jokes.

Mob Psycho 100 ep 1

Excellent direction and really vivid bold line style, design wise the characters seems similar to the OPM screenshots I've seen and DJ Tonkatsu which I'm not super keen on but hey everything else art wise I'm onboard with so whatever. The comedy didn't really hit for me mostly because Mob seemed less like a straight man to Reigen than someone on too heavy sedatives. Reigen and the boyfriend in the first scenes I liked though, dude knew he was full of it but was constrained from pushing too hard lest he seem to be calling his girlfriend crazy.

Will watch for that art and Reigen

Exalted

The direction in Mob Psycho feels snappier than that in OPM, so it's easier to get swept up in the jokes.

Don't know about that, so far in the first episode there was only one joke constantly repeated, of Reigen not having actually powers and deceiving others, and dealing with the consequences of that. Where in OPM you had more varied jokes.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Show By Rock!! Short!! - 2

Ping Pong is now only the second best pong pong related anime out there.

Mob Psycho 100 Ep 1

Show is visually gorgeous and the art style really makes it stand out. But where in OPM Saitama's face was all the funnier because everyone else was drawn with such detail, in here there is no such effect so Mob looks fairly dull. And yes that's the point, that Mob is a dull looking kid who isn't good at anything else but amazing at being a psychic. But boring design mixed with little personality (Saitama had his sense of humor and loads of personality), makes for a very dull lead character where even if he's strong as fuck and shit I'm not sure if it can make up for the lack in everything else. But it's only episode 1, we're likely to get more of a view into his personality as the show goes on (I hope).

The other lead, the psychic detective dude, fortunately has enough personality to carry Mob when they're together so if they're together often then it shouldn't be a BIG deal. Anything else I could say doesn't need to be said (gorgeous animation, visuals, etc...).

Very strong episode but as of right now I was more impressed with the 91 Days and Thunderbolt and Lightning very very Frightening me's premieres. This is up there though.

Mob psycho 100 Episode 1

Probably one of the worst shows so far and the visuals reminded me of all things I hate for adult swim and most of the current bad drawing style in western animation. The animators for this show could have consulted any standard character designer to innovate and improve the manga drawings extensively to bring it in line with the current gold standard in anime. It was hard to watch.

At least ALLOFF proved once again to be masters of music.

phaze

Mob Psycho 100

First episodes are always a lie.

That said, I really like the art direction, wasn't quite sure from the trailers but I'm a believer now.

On the other hand, as a comedy, even with the aid of the superb animation, the actual comedy in this was nothing write to home about. OPM mostly petered out on that front for me after a while, so I'll remain sceptical on whether this is something I've a shot at truly enjoying.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It makes me laugh that Betelgeuse in Re:Zero and Yukihira Soma in Shokugeki no Soma are voiced by the same guy.

Cornbread78

@ BGBW

Updated OT list for the OP:

Tales of Zestiria the X tv/anime |OT| Who needs a Sheperd when you have Alisha!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=209700565#post209700565

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable 啊OT啊 What a Beautiful Duwang
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1202858

MACROSS Δ (pronounced Delta) ~ギリギリ愛~ ~いけないボーダーライン~
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1205262

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1244829

Mob Psycho 100 TV Anime |OT| From ONE to 100
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1244832

Thunderbolt Fantasy |OT| From the writer of Madoka & F/Z, Sword Travels from the East
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1244400

91 Days TV Anime IOTI- Woke up this morning, got your animu
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1243984&highlight=91+days

Already there:

Berserk 2016 Anime |OT| Prelude to the CGI Boat
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1240683

Orange (anime/tv) |OT| A Plea From the Future
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1241593

Rewrite (anime/tv) |OT| Key VN transformed into beautiful anime once again
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1241572

Qurupeke

Show is visually gorgeous and the art style really makes it stand out. But where in OPM Saitama's face was all the funnier because everyone else was drawn with such detail, in here there is no such effect so Mob looks fairly dull. And yes that's the point, that Mob is a dull looking kid who isn't good at anything else but amazing at being a psychic. But boring design mixed with little personality (Saitama had his sense of humor and loads of personality), makes for a very dull lead character where even if he's strong as fuck and shit I'm not sure if it can make up for the lack in everything else. But it's only episode 1, we're likely to get more of a view into his personality as the show goes on (I hope).

The first episode clearly focuses on Reigen, so Mob comes as even more dull than you'd expect. However, despite a lot of similarities with OPM, it's an entirely different show. It won't try to make Mob seem different than the rest of the cast, instead the protagonist will slowly develop from this "blank canvas" state. On the other hand, OPM's characters were static, and that sometimes didn't work favorably for them. A lot of the praise for the Mob Psycho 100 manga is because of this.

Mob Psycho 100 ep 1

Excellent direction and really vivid bold line style, design wise the characters seems similar to the OPM screenshots I've seen and DJ Tonkatsu which I'm not super keen on but hey everything else art wise I'm onboard with so whatever. The comedy didn't really hit for me mostly because Mob seemed less like a straight man to Reigen than someone on too heavy sedatives.

Mob isn''t acting as a straight man in the traditional Japanese tsukkomi sense. If anything, Reigen is his own straight man, since of course he himself knows he's full of shit. Mob, by being casually genuine, forces him to confront his own fraud.

Don't know about that, so far in the first episode there was only one joke constantly repeated, of Reigen not having actually powers and deceiving others, and dealing with the consequences of that. Where in OPM you had more varied jokes.

It's a little reductive to consider the first episode of Mob Psycho 100 a one-joke gimmick (consider, for example, the dinner scene with Mob's family or how Mob sees the girls surrounding his crush as vegetables). If you want to look at it that way, the first episode of One Punch Man is just one joke constantly repeated, of Saitama being so incredibly powerful in relation to everything else that he has become bored of power.

But what I was referring to wasn't the content of the jokes per se so much as their delivery. One Punch Man has fairly average direction, with sluggish comic timing that doesn't allow the jokes to punch with any force. Mob Psycho 100 has more consistent energy and feels continually engaging due to its pacing and editing, let alone the creativity permeating all the drawings.

Wanderer5

Sweetness and Lightning #2

Definitely getting a lot of nice vibes from this anime, and making me hungry too heh. There some great character development potential here.

Kotori seems even lonely at school.:(

jman2050

Sweetness and Lightning 2

Kouhei is too hard on himself, I've seen worse attempts at cooking. Even the eggs turned out okayish, eggs can be deceptively tricky! Good episode though, rice and pork do indeed go very well together.

Tsumugi is weaponized fluffiness.

Eumi

Oh thank fuck they're not focusing on the world building.

Honestly, yep, that's a Dingledanpa. New characters look fun, new setting is interesting, hopefully this'll just be a smooth ride to the conclusion of this dumb overarching story they want to push so V3 can start fresh.

I swear though if that damn green haired kid shows up, well...

Well I'll just bitch about it here I guess. But boy, it'll be some bitching!

Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope’s Peak High School Episode 13 Future Arc 1: Third time's the charm

Dont really see that one necessarily needs to play games to understand this as the story its presenting seems pretty simple to follow or even just a repeat of the first anime at this point in time. The background was given an easy to follow synopsis. Wish the apocalyptic scenario of what was outside of the school was a bit more of the supernatural variety.

Oh well in it for Naegs.
CnGt7aeWAAAk2WZ.jpg:small

Sölf

Re: Zero
Yo, this show is good. Subaru is a great character, I love his interactions with all of the others, but Puck & Subaru have the best dialogues. God, I love those two. Currently watching the 6th episode.

TimmiT

Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope’s Peak High School Episode 13 Future Arc 1: Third time's the charm

Dont really see that one necessarily needs to play games to understand this as the story its presenting seems pretty simple to follow or even just a repeat of the first anime at this point in time. The background was given an easy to follow synopsis. Wish the apocalyptic scenario of what was outside of the school was a bit more of the supernatural variety.

Oh well in it for Naegs.
CnGt7aeWAAAk2WZ.jpg:small

It's more that it pretty much immediately spoils Danganronpa 2's big plot twist.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sweetness and Lightning Episode 2:

I really just can't get behind the direction this series is headed and no amount of cute kids will change that, dropped like an overcooked hot dog.

zulux21

edit: Rezero talks.

I took particular notice of that too. It's obvious the witch want him for some reason, or else why would they keep reviving him, keep his mouth shut, and the scent of the witch grows stronger on him. Him being pride makes a lot of sense for his actions and biggest faults, and I find it interesting that it seems the witch may have selected a 'deadly sins' motif off people not only from her world, but other worlds. I am very curious how Sabura ties with the witch and her goals with making him pride.

my guess is that the witch split herself into the sins herself. our main character is actually part of the witch, some of the other goddess candidates are part of the witch (the one that wants everything could be gluttony, felt could even be wrath or something, the one that believes everything in the world is hers could be lust. Emilia could be either the remaining vessel of the witch, or the daughter of the witch (in which case puck could actually be the remaining vessel of the witch) I mean fabrications that you are from another world would be much easier for a new being to accept than that you simply just exist now.

perhaps I am thinking to much about it though :p

Trickster

Mob Psycho 100 1

Yo this show is on fucking point. Love everything about it so far. That opening scene with the music was inredible.

Cornbread78

Sölf;209705233 said:
Re: Zero
Yo, this show is good. Subaru is a great character, I love his interactions with all of the others, but Puck & Subaru have the best dialogues. God, I love those two. Currently watching the 6th episode.

wow, you really are burning right through the series!

3A4Xcau.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom