• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the rumours are true. From next week the shows takes a strange turn and reboots into an idol show.

Emilia's idol group needs a last minute fill-in for their live performance after one of their members is killed by a Witch Cultist. How many times will Subaru have to die before he successfully grasps the choreography and saves the day? Please look forward to the new Re:Zero arc, Hajimete no Raibu!

I've fallen in love with the beginning of the first Concrete Revolutio opening.

Am 8 episodes in and that's one pretty ambitious series. I'm continuously impressed by how many new uniquely designed characters make their appearances each episode.

And most impressive of all, pretty well spoken English here and there!

Cornbread78

I'm not sure what to believe anymore, lol.

1JjVmmM.gif

I should have made an OT for this show in the spring..

The masses need to know how amazing this show.

Hilarious parody spoiler image from the end of the last episode of ReZero: (do not click if you haven't watched ep15 yet)
http://i.imgur.com/gUlaUil.jpg.....

Whats Rakudai? Was that the battle school harem that was very similar to another battle harem that came out the same season?

Between Fire Emblem Fates, FE X SMT, and all the anime from Winter, I'm still a little burned out on anime for a while. Havent watched anything from Spring aside from Kabaneri.

Only watching Pokemon now but I'll check out this show later this year when I have some downtime!

You should just stop what your doing and watch this...

You need to watch Kiznaiver when you get a chance as well?

Jarmel

Banned
In the first couple episodes I did watch I saw absolutely nothing of that. He had no issue talking to everyone he met, for instance, becoming friends immediately with the humongous bar owner. That some NEET shut in privately training actually is a competent fighter in street brawls against thugs with weapons is hella unlikely, too.

Yea Subaru is fairly normal and really doesn't act like a NEET barring the fedora stuff I've seen mentioned by some posters here.

He doesn't even act like a normal person but I guess that's LN writing for you.

KonradLaw

Yea Subaru is fairly normal and really doesn't act like a NEET barring the fedora stuff I've seen mentioned by some posters here.

He doesn't even act like a normal person but I guess that's LN writing for you.

He does seem NEET, just not hikkimori. Simply a dude who had zero movement in his life, no education, work or training. And his behaviour actually does fit that. Like a decent and ethusiastic dude who didn;t have much direct contact with people. Being akward without being creppy

Re Zero 15

Just fuck my shit up

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I'm loving all the ReZero love and attention. Kind of worried about the potential for spoilers if there are weird images out there. However this show is dark and has no issues alienating some viewers by pushing negative character traits onto its "heroes", so I wouldn't be surprised if they pull off something super fucked down the line.

Jarmel

Banned
He does seem NEET, just not hikkimori. Simply a dude who had zero movement in his life, no education, work or training. And his behaviour actually does fit that. Like a decent and ethusiastic dude who didn;t have much direct contact with people. Being akward without being creppy

How does he demonstrate zero movement in his life? I feel the anime has done a terrible job of representing that considering his stupid level of determination. In fact that determination streak strikes opposite to his character background.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Euro 2016 final

Well didn't expect the final episode will be about side characters fight for MC, but the ending is TSUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU great.

2DUdIMH.jpg

Bhw88bNl.jpg

I checked out 91 Days last night. Was pretty good.

So I'm up to 3 anime from this season I will probably keep watching now.

1. Rezero
2. Thunderbolt Fantasy
3. 91 Days

1 of these is from last season and the other isnt even an anime. Alas. Still need to check out Orange and some other stuff too.

BluWacky

The Handmaiden

Better than anime. 3D beats 2D again.

I had no idea what this was so Googled it. Imagine my surprise to discover it's an adaptation of Fingersmith, which we got a TV version of about 10 years ago over here.

I suspect this is somewhat different given the director :) (not to mention the transplantation to Korea!)

duckroll

I had no idea what this was so Googled it. Imagine my surprise to discover it's an adaptation of Fingersmith, which we got a TV version of about 10 years ago over here.

I suspect this is somewhat different given the director :) (not to mention the transplantation to Korea!)

It's actually surprisingly not that different. From what I understand of the original, it felt like they retained 100% of the thematic characterizations in the book, except they transplanted the setting to South Korea during the Japanese Occupation (which is -brilliant), and there are narrative changes in the third act, ala Oldboy.

The cinematography was breathtaking, the shot composition was so good, the art and set direction to die for, and goddamn, the erotic execution is top tier. I loved how they did the subtitles too. Yellow subs for Japanese dialogue, white subs for Korean dialogue, and it even changes mid-sentence if the dialogue does. Superb translation choice.

... Yellow subs for Japanese dialogue, white subs for Korean dialogue, and it even changes mid-sentence if the dialogue does. Superb translation choice.

Damn that something that won't survive mastering to disc then. I had initially written this post wondering why we don't see that kind of use of colour more often until I googled it and found the Handbrake manual on subs which basically says you can have italics, bold or underlining but all other formatting will get removed. I suppose they could do italics vs plain text but if there's an even mix between languages reading lot in italics would get old fast (or illegible depending on how well your BD/DVD player renders text).

Puzzle & Dragons Cross Episode 2

I think the dragons designs are good while other creature designs could use some work (the mascot characters for example, though they are cute, but kiddie. I like the kiddie dragon of Dragon Collection/Oreca Battle more). Anyway, Lance & Ace still good and Choro doesnt actually get in their way so Im happy. Idol Dragon caller is lol.

pelicansurf

How does he demonstrate zero movement in his life? I feel the anime has done a terrible job of representing that considering his stupid level of determination. In fact that determination streak strikes opposite to his character background.

I think you're focusing too much on NEETs having no personality or charisma. Just because you don't feel like going outside/working doesn't mean you have to be a shut-in nerd/personality of a rock, ya know.

Damn that something that won't survive mastering to disc then. I had initially written this post wondering why we don't see that kind of use of colour more often until I googled it and found the Handbrake manual on subs which basically says you can have italics, bold or underlining but all other formatting will get removed. I suppose they could do italics vs plain text but if there's an even mix between languages reading lot in italics would get old fast (or illegible depending on how well your BD/DVD player renders text).

That's a limitation of Handbrake. You could have 2 (or 3 since there's also an outline) colors in subtitles if you wanted on DVDs and BDs.

Yeah the poster is great. The movie was woooooooooow. Everything I wanted from Park Chan Wook since Oldboy. He's fucking BACK.

My kingdom for a UK release. Was excited to see Kim Min-hee is in it because I liked her in Right Now, Wrong Then last year. Maybe London Film Festival will get The Handmaiden too.

LeleSocho

Banned
So i watched GunBuster and DieBuster for the first time this weekend...

GunBuster aside the technical and the representation of scientific facts aspects which are pretty great the rest is pretty bad in my opinion. The pacing (oh god the pacing), the characters (rip "Sumissu" and "Cocchee" we hardly knew ye) and the story goes from horrible to mediocre at best depending on the fact if you consider that it was a 1988 anime.

DieBuster on the other hand i was pleasantly surprised, it's from 2003 but if you told me that aired last year i would have believed you... from the chara-design, which isn't at all in that awkward period of transition from 90s->00s which for example both FLCL and Abenobashi were (remaining in Gainax turf), passing through the OST choice and finishing to the characters archetypes all feels incredibly modern and not something that is frigging 13 years old.

So here comes the question: Considering that i'm not that knowledgable of anime as i watch at best a couple of series per year, am i alone in considering DieBuster a very modern anime or its style has been surpassed by something new that i'm not yet aware? is there something that is older that feels as modern as DieBuster?

I think you're focusing too much on NEETs having no personality or charisma. Just because you don't feel like going outside/working doesn't mean you have to be a shut-in nerd/personality of a rock, ya know.

And yet, some of you (maybe not you yourself) are now lauding his characterization because supposedly exactly these common NEET attributes are well represented in him and his path.

I mean, lemme quote this again:
I'd not argue with you about whether Subaru is likeable or not but I would argue that he is ultimately very human. His weakness is consistent ('I am the MC, the world should bend to my awesomeness') and the show is consistent for punishing him for this because he has landed into the middle of
a very violent succession ritual
that he refuses to engage with or learn more about. That he is a NEET shut in is the most tropey thing about him but it reinforces his failings as we see he really does struggle to communicate with other people and misses obvious social cues. I'd be more down on him if he had 'learnt his lesson' within the first arc, people don't change that quickly and Subaru clinging to his worldview or simply breaking down feels more natural.

If just in the beginning his characterization was inconsistent and he never felt like a particularly believable human being to me. From all the impressions I've read that only gets worse. It appears as though some of you are trying to justify his characterization mostly because you like the show or the last episode itself.

Qurupeke

Orange 1-2

I didn't feel the 1st episode much, but the 2nd was much better. I have a feeling that it will have a very sad ending. The show is generally promising, but I hate the flash forwards. People were discussing this earlier too, but yeah, it's weird that they emphasize her feelings for Kakeru. It's a shame they had to brought up her family and make this complicated, though I could see them becoming more like friends later. Though I really like the Kakeru-Naho pairing. :(

GunBuster aside the technical and the representation of scientific facts aspects which are pretty great the rest is pretty bad in my opinion. The pacing (oh god the pacing), the characters (rip "Sumissu" and "Cocchee" we hardly knew ye) and the story goes from horrible to mediocre at best depending on the fact if you consider that it was a 1988 anime.

What does this even mean?

I'll never understand people who think Gunbuster's pacing is terrible. Every episode counts and makes a point, establishing necessary things about the world, how time travel ruins people's lives, and just how terrifying the enemy is, while at the same time showing just how much of a toll it's taking on Noriko.

So when she finally gets in Gunbuster the payoff is fantastic, considering everything she's feared up until that point.

It's especially effective in the last episode, where the emotional payoff is great because of how the show took its time establishing its rules and its consequences.

How in the world can any of this be considered bad or mediocre?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

DieBuster on the other hand i was pleasantly surprised, it's from 2003 but if you told me that aired last year i would have believed you... from the chara-design, which isn't at all in that awkward period of transition from 90s->00s which for example both FLCL and Abenobashi were (remaining in Gainax turf), passing through the OST choice and finishing to the characters archetypes all feels incredibly modern and not something that is frigging 13 years old.

So here comes the question: Considering that i'm not that knowledgable of anime as i watch at best a couple of series per year, am i alone in considering DieBuster a very modern anime or its style has been surpassed by something new that i'm not yet aware? is there something that is older that feels as modern as DieBuster?

Agree with you 100%. Gunbuster is just a bad series but Diebuster was rad.

pelicansurf

And yet, some of you (maybe not you yourself) are now lauding his characterization because supposedly exactly these common NEET attributes are well represented in him and his path.

I mean, lemme quote this again:

If just in the beginning his characterization was inconsistent and he never felt like a particularly believable human being to me. From all the impressions I've read that only gets worse. It appears as though some of you are trying to justify his characterization mostly because you like the show or the last episode itself.
I think the NEET thing in his introduction is meant to show that the guy was a gamer, who didn't do much else. Based off of that you could assume he likes winning/hates losing and is pretty self-centered; in retrospect after the most recent episode, you could say prideful. I would say most of his actions fall in line with those personality traits, the good and the bad.

Always a risk!

That's a limitation of Handbrake. You could have 2 (or 3 since there's also an outline) colors in subtitles if you wanted on DVDs and BDs.

Cheers for the correction then I'm back to wondering why more shows don't take advantage of it. I mean no need to go nuts with multiple fonts and colours as some fan subs do but The Handmaiden using it to highlight mixed language sentences is the kind of thing I'd like to see more frequently.

LeleSocho

Banned
What does this even mean?

I'll never understand people who think Gunbuster's pacing is terrible. Every episode counts and makes a point, establishing necessary things about the world, how time travel ruins people's lives, and just how terrifying the enemy is, while at the same time showing just how much of a toll it's taking on Noriko.

So when she finally gets in Gunbuster the payoff is fantastic, considering everything she's feared up until that point.

It's especially effective in the last episode, where the emotional payoff is great because of how the show took its time establishing its rules and its consequences.

How in the world can any of this be considered bad or mediocre?

Time relativity is literally the only thing in the universe that could benefit from the terrible pacing of the anime, everything is incredibly rushed from the main themes to subplots
Kimiko and Noriko have known each other for 4 months and yet they are best friends forever with close to zero interaction between them shown, how am i supposed to feel what Noriko is feeling regarding the age difference between them if i get more material to know Kimiko from the ending song than the entirety of the anime itself?

Smith here it comes here it goes just like Kimiko and yet he was obviously the love of her life and a super important character even if he has done a whole lot of nothing through the 10 femtoseconds he has been shown.

Coach Ohta says that Noriko has potential but this potential has never been showed, she doesn't have special abilities, she doesn't work hard, she doesn't have motivation... she has nothing that could lead her to be chosen to go to space and yet Ohta chooses her. Putting Noriko witnessing Amano hard work thus understanding that you can reach the goal through that before being chosen would have been the right thing to do but as it is it makes no sense.

I think i'm not exaggerating by saying that in 5 minutes Jung Freud and Amano have passed from not knowing each other to be eternal rivals, to be love rivals and at last being friends.

All i have said here could be applied to everything in this anime: Coach and Onee-sama love story, Noriko and Onee-sama's friendship, what the heck the bad guys are what is their purpose and where do they originate from etc. etc.
All this stuff must have had way more space in one or even more episodes for each subject and been laid much better... either that or cut most of these subplots.
You give exactly zero reason to care about what is happening because they don't give any context whatsoever.

The "considering is an '88 anime" thing is actually about this, i think that the industry probably wasn't mature enough to condense the material in the timeframe as well as it can do now (like does DieBuster for example *wink*) that's why it can go up to "mediocre at best" instead of being trash by today's standards.
Don't get me wrong the raw material is actually good but i'm sure that everyone but a debuting director Hideaki Anno would have done a much much better job at directing it.

----

Edit: I was actually pretty surprised in finding opposition on the bad pacing of GunBuster opinion lol

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Danganronpa 3:

Ah yes, this was a good reminder of how much I hated some of the directions the series took and I pretty much hate everybody right now. Oh, also you are shocked that the enemy found you IN YOUR GIGANTIC TOWER FULL OF LIGHTS?!

gargles

Danganronpa 3: Future - 1

So good to hear New World Order again. Even though this may be a trainwreck, I want to end this journey. Not the best first episode but still good. Also, great OP and ED.
And judging by those first minutes, Despair will really shine. Gundham looks badass.

Yukizome is still alive. She must be... Can't believe they're repeating Sayaka all over again. And of course, killed in the same manner shown in the OP. Naegi and Munakata's deaths are the most interestin ones.

Danganronpa 2:
So I stalled in my playthrough of this after two killings, nothing in particular pushed me away I just haven't felt the same pull to get through to the end as I did with 1. Should I bother completing it?
I know Ultra Despair Girls is almost universally panned as is the other spin off but I am curious as to how it will all end up in D3. So should I just spoil the end of 2 and watch 3 or should I just knuckle down and get back into 2?

KonradLaw

He lacks any real usefull skills or knowledge. The most he can claim to get is having a bit better body due to stupid excercises he stubbornly did. But that's pretty much worthless in both his own world and the new one.,

Subaru being terrible at pretty much everything has been a pretty common theme through every arc so far. He was pure useless trash before he came into this fantasy realm. This is likely the first time he;s been able to achieve anything worthy of note.

jonjonaug

Danganronpa 2:
So I stalled in my playthrough of this after two killings, nothing in particular pushed me away I just haven't felt the same pull to get through to the end as I did with 1. Should I bother completing it?
I know Ultra Despair Girls is almost universally panned as is the other spin off but I am curious as to how it will all end up in D3. So should I just spoil the end of 2 and watch 3 or should I just knuckle down and get back into 2?
Chapters 4-6 of DR2 are better than anything in DR1 and UDG has the best writing in the series with Komaru and Toko's interactions even if the main plot is really bad for the first half of the game (luckily like 80% of the script is just Komaru and Toko). Get back in.

blurr

Danganronpa 2:

it was quite the contrary for me, 2 was starkly more compelling than 1, I just lost my mind at the first case; I'd highly recommend playing 2 through out

Will be watching DR3 (and Baccano) later today, but hearing that Funimation has the rights to it does not give me hope that they'll get the old cast back for the dub.

Just T

Danganronpa 2:
Try to get back into 2, it didn't reach the same level as DR1 for me but it was still worth playing through.

Eridani

Danganronpa 2:

Don't watch 3, at least not yet. The first episode already spoils a lot of 2 and so far it doesn't look like it's going to be better than it so there really isn't much point. Besides, Danganronpa 2 is pretty good so if you liked the first one you should enjoy it. I felt like the second half was much stronger than the first.

If the later episodes of 3 turn out to be amazing then you could go for it, but based on ep 1 I wouldn't recommend it.

Qurupeke

Mob Psycho 100 1
The colours and the animation were really good. Everything about it looks so unique and unusual. And they did a really good job translating ONE's style and humor on the screen.

I don't really remember if this episode was in the manga, but it's a pretty great start featuring the duo of Mob and Reigen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom