• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Danganronpa 3 Future 01

Y'know its kind of hard to get a feel for all these characters on a time limit of 20 minutes. One is already dead ffs. Oh well, I'm still excited to see where this goes and Despair should flow better since those characters are known already.

lmao at Hagakure being trapped outside though

Show by Rock shorts 02

This should just be a ShinganCrimsonZ spinoff tbh

Cornbread78

Nintendoman has been after me for awhile to do this show so more people can experience the mecha goodness, so here it is!

Next "Let's Watch" is up:

Now Watching: Mazinger Edition Z: The Impact! (7/12-8/9)

QZRTynA.gif
hihBtKr.gif

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=209706940#post209706940

Chindogg

Man I want to watch Re:Zero but every time I hear the word 'sadist' I immediately shy away because I don't need my heart ripped out when I'm trying to enjoy great relationships.

Ascheroth

Nintendoman has been after me for awhile to do this show so more people can experience the mecha goodness, so here it is!

QZRTynA.gif
hihBtKr.gif

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=209706940#post209706940

I think I'll jump in. I started it a while ago, but didn't make it very far because who knows why. Certainly not because I didn't enjoy it at least.

Cant stop watching the Mob Psycho 100 OP. it's so fuckin good
You're not the only one.

Awwwww yeah.

More people get to experience Imagawa super robot goodness.

Can't wait to read people's impressions.

Mob Psycho 100 - 01

That visual fidelity, no way that can hold up for the entire run. But even so, with that art direction it's a treat.

Judging by the OPM anime I'm not fond of One's humor and this first episode didn't elicit any laughs either, but I'll see. The direction certainly is better and that'll help. I'm hoping Reigen's pretense doesn't continue throughout the entire show because that aspect felt already obnoxious to me and Mob should notice rather sooner than later.

Good, good. While the second half is messier in some respects, it follows through on most of the plot threads set up in the first half, even ones you wouldn't think would come back, so you should enjoy that as well.

I can imagine. The events in this show seem to be rather strongly coupled, which I'm liking.

I've heard some good stuff about this, and I would like a new series to binge. What say you, Anime GAF?

Well, yes!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Taboo Tattoo Episode 2:

This continues to be surprisingly watchable outside of the still dreadful and out of place comedy bits. That being said, yea, most everything here is at least serviceable and the action and the overall direction is overall shockingly inspired. I may end up retaining this one.

phaze

Star Driver 23
zgnjnyar.gif

Always satisfying and refreshing to see douchebag
father
treated as such.

I'm not sure how are they planning to close it all down within 40 minutes, especially now that Sasuke pulled a Sasuke. Side characters in particular are gonna get shafted like there's no tomorrow. (Noooo my Kanakooooooo)

Eridani

I've heard some good stuff about this, and I would like a new series to binge. What say you, Anime GAF?

Imo Concrete Revolutio is one of the best shows that aired this year, so I'd say you should go for it. It's a very ambitious show with a great setting and central theme, the characters are great and it looks really good, both in the visual direction and in animation.

Mob Psycho 100 - 01

That visual fidelity, no way that can hold up for the entire run. But even so, with that art direction it's a treat.

Judging by the OPM anime I'm not fond of One's humor and this first episode didn't elicit any laughs either, but I'll see. The direction certainly is better and that'll help. I'm hoping Reigen's pretense doesn't continue throughout the entire show because that aspect felt already obnoxious to me and Mob should notice rather sooner than later.

I may be reading too much into this, but my take is that Mob does realize Reigen is a fraud, at least subconsciously, but chooses not to acknowledge that because Reigen is the only "friend" of any kind he has. Mob is rather lonely and somewhat ostracized at school, after all.

T-Rex.

Banned
Taboo Tattoo #2
The story is actually pretty interesting, I wasn't expecting that. Can't wait to see troll-chan whoop that guy next episode.

Bluesy Fruesy though :lol

Ascheroth

Taboo Tattoo #2

Continues to be really fun. The action is still great and the direction is good even outside of it.
Also had a lot of laughs this time around. I can never not find this scene amusing:

Izzy is such a troll, lol.

Taruranto

Monokuma Time Dilemma #1

... by a bunch of Japanese teenagers using giant recolored Doraemons.

The Opening did a good job remind me how much the more we know about the setting, the worse it becomes. Ugh.

I don't think the character design work particular in full animation, it doesn't help that these guys are completely ridiculous. Vash the Stampede? Some sort of Ninja maid? A dude wearing a bull mask? Wat?

I'll admit, once things started going down on screen the episode sorta got me hooked, but it was more because one thing happened after another more than anything.

Aki-at

Mob Psycho 100 - 1

Great assault of visual fireworks and some good jokes. Not my favourite opening episode this season but it was still a treat to watch, excited for more.

Space Brothers - 4

Mutta definitely reminds me about my own older brothers sometimes haha.

I may be reading too much into this, but my take is that Mob does realize Reigen is a fraud, at least subconsciously, but chooses not to acknowledge that because Reigen is the only "friend" of any kind he has. Mob is rather lonely and somewhat ostracized at school, after all.

Hmm that would be nice.

Sweetness and Lightning - 02

I mean the premise felt questionable to begin with and some of this stuff is just plain dumb. I mean, now this girl has a fricking kitchen knife phobia? Really? And how does the teacher cooking with her possibly prevent the restaurant from shutting down because her mother's too busy? And no, even if you push the cute kid as a catalyst for this development, this relationship between a teacher and student is not appropriate. If she at least wasn't in any of his classes, but she is.

But yeh, the biggest problem is how nonsensical the girl and her cooking proposition are.

Re:Zero 4

Man I'm late to the jokes, but: Subaru x Puck OTP.

In fact, it was weird when they greeted to each other in the past episode, as Puck shouldn't remember him after the first time rewind. Is it because she is a spirit?

Cornbread78

Re:Zero 4

Man I'm late to the jokes, but: Subaru x Puck OTP.

In fact, it was weird when they greeted to each other in the past episode, as Puck shouldn't remember him after the first time rewind. Is it because she is a spirit?

This is a question that people forgot and/or don't understand is just coming back now....

Shergal

Yeah the part where he protects him from the gang dude seemed to point at that

sonicmj1

Kiznaiver 11

There were some aspects of the storytelling that I really liked in this episode, like the whole scene with Katsuhira's phone message to Chidori. But the emotional climax here was, like, super obvious.

I'm glad they finally realized that empathy is an actual thing.

Szadek

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Ep. 1 (5. rewatch or something)
Lol at Sayaka
in a joke accurately guessing what Homura's deal is.
I didn't notice that until now.

Mailbox

Hmm that would be nice.

Sweetness and Lightning - 02

I mean the premise felt questionable to begin with and some of this stuff is just plain dumb. I mean, now this girl has a fricking kitchen knife phobia? Really? And how does the teacher cooking with her possibly prevent the restaurant from shutting down because her mother's too busy? And no, even if you push the cute kid as a catalyst for this development, this relationship between a teacher and student is not appropriate. If she at least wasn't in any of his classes, but she is.

But yeh, the biggest problem is how nonsensical the girl and her cooking proposition are.

Except, that, you know... nothing you pointed out was actually dumb.
Having a knife phobia isn't exactly unheard of. Especially if you cut yourself at a young age or something. Plus in this case its meant to serve 2 things: a subtle growth of the character to be more independent (which, her dependence on others is the reason she wanted them to stay this episode (since she refuses to cut anything)) and to be a parallel to
the daughter's growth as a child since they both eventually get training knifes. The daughter to practice, and Kotori to help grow out of her phobia.

The whole shutting down thing at the beginning of the episode isn't literally her saying that will absolutely happen. The worry is that the space is used so sparingly and she is worried that it has become something needless without point. Its just that, her worrying. Having people around and having a reason for the place to exist combats that worry. Its more about her loneliness than anything else, really.

As for the last point, there has been absolutely NOTHING happening as of yet
And more importantly, nothing has happened at all in the 35 chapters that I've read. She does develop a crush on him, but that hasn't happened yet, and nothing really becomes of that
. I really don't see how them cooking together is some taboo or anything. They are literally just cooking together, that's all. The mother, at this point, knows about it and even gave them a (despite being confusing) recipe guide for the night. The teacher even wants to talk to the parent about all this because he does realize that its not really overly appropriate to be around a student in secret, even if it is just cooking. So I really fail to see your point, unless you are just choosing to neglect noticing details because you find some small part of this "icky".

Except, that, you know... nothing you pointed out was actually dumb.
Having a knife phobia isn't exactly unheard of. Especially if you cut yourself at a young age or something. Plus in this case its meant to serve 2 things: a subtle growth of the character to be more independent (which, her dependence on others is the reason she wanted them to stay this episode (since she refuses to cut anything)) and to be a parallel to
the daughter's growth as a child since they both eventually get training knifes. The daughter to practice, and Kotori to help grow out of her phobia.

The whole shutting down thing at the beginning of the episode isn't literally her saying that will absolutely happen. The worry is that the space is used so sparingly and she is worried that it has become something needless without point. Its just that, her worrying. Having people around and having a reason for the place to exist combats that worry. Its more about her loneliness than anything else, really.

As for the last point, there has been absolutely NOTHING happening as of yet
And more importantly, nothing has happened at all in the 35 chapters that I've read. She does develop a crush on him, but that hasn't happened yet, and nothing really becomes of that
. I really don't see how them cooking together is some taboo or anything. They are literally just cooking together, that's all. The mother, at this point, knows about it and even gave them a (despite being confusing) recipe guide for the night. The teacher even wants to talk to the parent about all this because he does realize that its not really overly appropriate to be around a student in secret, even if it is just cooking. So I really fail to see your point, unless you are just choosing to neglect noticing details because you find some small part of this "icky".

I'm not speaking of a romantic relationship. He's grading her and he's supposed to remain impartial, which is difficult when they have this sort of relationship outside of school.

And yes, a knife phobia or just about any phobia you can think of exist, but I'm not fond of it being used like this. It would also make it less likely for her to ask Kouhei about doing all this cooking business, you know, since she actually got a phobia towards knives and would want to avoid those at all cost. On top of that she seemingly avoided cooking most of her live when I see how incompetent she is (hardly even knows how to make rice when her mother is some star cook). Asking someone you just barely got to know about cooking together every now and then is kinda weird to begin with, so when more information about her is revealed I just wonder why.

Besides, even if I don't mind all that. It's still just some very average cooking + little girl being cute show.

ibyea

Banned
Mob Psycho 100: 1
The best thing in here is the visuals and animation. Other than that there is not much to write home about. It is fun, at the very least.

zulux21

I'm not speaking of a romantic relationship. He's grading her and he's supposed to remain impartial, which is difficult when they have this sort of relationship outside of school.

to be fair he is only help grade her. he is the assistant teacher of her class not the full teacher.

really though I think you are just trying to find reasons to dislike the show. I would recommend just dropping it :p

Qurupeke

Beyond the Boundary Movie - The Future

aka fuyukai desu the movie
I was not impressed by this, despite enjoying the show. It barely did anything different, and it still had the same weaknesses as the series. But this would be fine. They just had to add a lot of unnecessary drama, while the movie retreads story points that were already covered like "Mirai's not a normal person" and throws away all the character development.. Actually, even the strong points of the series, like Kyoani's attention to detail and the animation, seemed underwhelming compared to most of the major moments in the show. Maybe the only thing that made this a worthy watch is the fact that it answers some questions after the finale, though I'd prefer a 30 minute OVA over a whole movie. Oh and it had some rad costumes like the one Hiroomi wore at the start.

Damn, that episode was intense, can't wait for the next episode now. I also kind of now want to watch a supercut of the "True Timeline" from the perspective of the other characters where it cuts out all the death timelines, if only because that would be an interesting thing to see without all the context for why he suddenly is becoming more insane.

It's amazing seeing how Subaru has finally hit peak insanity after all the shit that his been thrown his way, Its going to suck seeing Rem and the entire group get brutally murdered over and over again during this arc.

Just T

Danganronpa 3 Future Volume: 1

It's great to have some new Danganronpa.
The OP is straight even with it's foreboding nature. Naegi and co looking good in their suits. Some members in the Future Foundation are a bit more hostile than I was expecting, not liking Juzo at all. Chisa was pretty nice though but looked what happened to her. It was interesting knowing she taught the DR2 cast though so it's going to be neat, well maybe bittersweet to see her in Despair Volume. The new Monokuma voice isn't bad, maybe slightly jarring but not bad at all. Wonder who is behind Monokuma this time, couldn't be Monaka could it? Well at least I hope not. Wasn't really feeling the ED though but it also has the foreboding nature to it as well. Hopefully Naegi, Kirigiri, and Asahina can make it out of this in one piece, really don't want them to lose this time around either. Also hopefully we get a hint as to what Togami, Toko, and Komaru are up to soon. This darker mood is going to be something.

Eumi

Man I'm still pissed that for Danganronpa (UDG spoilers)
neagis sis isn't the new Junko. That'd be so fucking great but instead we get Monica.

Like, imagine if instead they put the UDG story in the despair series that's starting tomorrow and towards the end neagis sis loses and becomes the new ultimate despair, which in turn leads to the reveal that she's the villain for future.

But I guess at that level of wishful thinking I'm just writing fanfic.

Finalow

Mob Psycho 100 Ep 1

- But boring design mixed with little personality (Saitama had his sense of humor and loads of personality), makes for a very dull lead character where even if he's strong as fuck and shit I'm not sure if it can make up for the lack in everything else. But it's only episode 1, we're likely to get more of a view into his personality as the show goes on (I hope).

The other lead, the psychic detective dude, fortunately has enough personality to carry Mob when they're together so if they're together often then it shouldn't be a BIG deal. Anything else I could say doesn't need to be said (gorgeous animation, visuals, etc...).
at first glance Mob and Saitama actually appear to be quite similar. both leading a ''boring'' let's kill some monsters every now and then life, both having this huge humongous power but not really making a big deal out of it, and so on and so forth. the main difference here is Reigen, who makes up for Mob's apparent dullness and lack of personality, whereas Saitama was the only main character so he had to crack those jokes and make ~funny faces~ all by himself.

as you mentioned, yes, it's just the first episode, basically an introductory episode, and there are still many more key characters who haven't been introduced yet. you're definitely going to see more of Mob's personality in the future episodes, things will also get way more interesting.
it does look superb and I really hope they can keep that up.

Taboo Tattoo 2

Has the author never left Japan or ever had contact with western media to know some regular fucking names? He gave all of these white motherfucking people from a place called 'The kingdom' the most alien made up names. One of them sounds like Alibaba and it's the whitest girl lmao.

Besides that, immediately after the first episode we already have the adults attacking the school. Why does every single bad guy want to destroy our poor schools in Japan? School-chan is innocent in all of this.

I guess we'll see where it goes from here, but 2 episodes in it isn't any better than generic LN based anime.

at first glance Mob and Saitama actually appear to be quite similar. both leading a ''boring'' let's kill some monsters every now and then life, both having this huge humongous power but not really making a big deal out of it, and so on and so forth. the main difference here is Reigen, who makes up for Mob's apparent dullness and lack of personality, whereas Saitama was the only main character so he had to crack those jokes and make ~funny faces~ all by himself.

as you mentioned, yes, it's just the first episode, basically an introductory episode, and there are still many more key characters who haven't been introduced yet. you're definitely going to see more of Mob's personality in the future episodes, things will also get way more interesting.
it does look superb and I really hope they can keep that up.

Saitama has Genos to fanboy out over him and for Saitama to entertain himself as he basically tries to be a good teacher with no idea how to. He has a dull design but he wasn't a dull character.

jonjonaug

Man I'm still pissed that for Danganronpa (UDG spoilers)
neagis sis isn't the new Junko. That'd be so fucking great but instead we get Monica.

Like, imagine if instead they put the UDG story in the despair series that's starting tomorrow and towards the end neagis sis loses and becomes the new ultimate despair, which in turn leads to the reveal that she's the villain for future.

But I guess at that level of wishful thinking I'm just writing fanfic.

Despair!Komaru + Toko/Genocider would be too OP, so it can't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom