• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbug617

Banned
Visual for the Yowamushi Pedal movie coming out this Fall. It's a prequel
CnHaXPXVMAAr-S7.jpg

sonicmj1

Time relativity is literally the only thing in the universe that could benefit from the terrible pacing of the anime, everything is incredibly rushed from the main themes to subplots
Kimiko and Noriko have known each other for 4 months and yet they are best friends forever with close to zero interaction between them shown, how am i supposed to feel what Noriko is feeling regarding the age difference between them if i get more material to know Kimiko from the ending song than the entirety of the anime itself?

Smith here it comes here it goes just like Kimiko and yet he was obviously the love of her life and a super important character even if he has done a whole lot of nothing through the 10 femtoseconds he has been shown.

Coach Ohta says that Noriko has potential but this potential has never been showed, she doesn't have special abilities, she doesn't work hard, she doesn't have motivation... she has nothing that could lead her to be chosen to go to space and yet Ohta chooses her. Putting Noriko witnessing Amano hard work thus understanding that you can reach the goal through that before being chosen would have been the right thing to do but as it is it makes no sense.

I think i'm not exaggerating by saying that in 5 minutes Jung Freud and Amano have passed from not knowing each other to be eternal rivals, to be love rivals and at last being friends.

All i have said here could be applied to everything in this anime: Coach and Onee-sama love story, Noriko and Onee-sama's friendship, what the heck the bad guys are what is their purpose and where do they originate from etc. etc.
All this stuff must have had way more space in one or even more episodes for each subject and been laid much better... either that or cut most of these subplots.
You give exactly zero reason to care about what is happening because they don't give any context whatsoever.

The "considering is an '88 anime" thing is actually about this, i think that the industry probably wasn't mature enough to condense the material in the timeframe as well as it can do now (like does DieBuster for example *wink*) that's why it can go up to "mediocre at best" instead of being trash by today's standards.
Don't get me wrong the raw material is actually good but i'm sure that everyone but a debuting director Hideaki Anno would have done a much much better job at directing it.

----

Edit: I was actually pretty surprised in finding opposition on the bad pacing of GunBuster opinion lol

I disagree with your writeup of Gunbuster, but I probably couldn't rebut it as clearly without watching it again.

I don't think you're entirely off-base in some respects. The scope and ambition of the project expands massively as it progresses, going from "Aim for the Ace parody with robots" to an epic galactic fight for mankind's survival spanning centuries in just six episodes. Certain characters suffer in order for that to work. I don't think anyone really remembers Smith as anything but a device for Noriko's development.

But for me, I think Gunbuster is a much cleaner story thematically, and I found Noriko and Kazumi to be both more likable and much more coherent than any of the characters in Diebuster. I enjoyed following their arcs across the course of the show, and my connection to them made the mecha action even more meaningful. Moreover, Gunbuster bears a sincere, optimistic worldview when it comes to science fiction, proud and triumphant about the ability of mankind to work together to overcome any problem and build a better world in the face of adversity. It's a hallmark of the Gainax works of that era (even, in a way, going back to Daicon IV), and I dearly miss it.

Diebuster is still very strong, but contrary to Gunbuster, I found myself unable to follow the motivations of the characters, and I thought it was a lot more messy thematically. I guess I had the complete opposite reaction to you: where you found Diebuster more fleshed-out and rich, I found it overstuffed and confused compared to its predecessor's straightforward clarity. I might owe it a rewatch, since I may have been comparing it too much with Gunbuster my first time through. Nono really rubbed me the wrong way.

It's sort of weird to think of these shows as exemplifying "modernity" or being "antiquated". They're just different approaches to telling a story. I think that (to pick something relatively contemporary to Gunbuster) Akira has a similar kind of density to Diebuster, for instance.

Finalow

Saitama has Genos to fanboy out over him and for Saitama to entertain himself as he basically tries to be a good teacher with no idea how to. He has a dull design but he wasn't a dull character.
Genos barely appears in the first episode though. :p I also don't think he's a dull character but it takes more than just one episode to give characters a proper development. and again as far as the first episode goes, Saitama simply had the only main role hence more/all the screen time.

Mandelbo

Amaama to Inazuma 02

HpeXIDL.png

Only the highest of praise from Tsumugi.

This episode was great too. It's a little sad seeing how isolated Kotori is - we haven't seen her with any friends yet, and given that she was eating away from everyone else, she may not really have any. Her reaction to being shown the knife was a little extreme though.

I wonder if we'll ever actually see Kotori's mother? Despite Kotori giving "proof" that her mother was there at some point, like the thumbprint and the recipe, could she just be lying to distract from a bigger problem? She could easily have forged the thumbprint since Kouhei has no way of knowing if it's genuine, and she could have already known the recipe - but that might be stretching it a little. Hopefully the show expands on this a bit.

phaze

Star Driver 25: The Radiance of Bones END
awesome0qz2j.gif

Someone direct me to the nearest shrine of my newfound Bones overlords. I've got an offering to make.

Amaatozuma 2

Episode is sweet, and now they've made it fairly clear she wasn't blushing on the first episode due to anything more than embarrassment. I'm glad the show didn't feel the need to insert a teacher crush, more often than not it's the case. When the daughter was posing awkwardly and attempting to wink/smile I had a sensible chuckle. Good show continues to be good.

phaze

Beyond the Boundary Movie - The Future

aka fuyukai desu the movie

I was not impressed by this, despite enjoying the show. It barely did anything different, and it still had the same weaknesses as the series. But this would be fine. They just had to add a lot of unnecessary drama, while the movie retreads story points that were already covered like "Mirai's not a normal person" and throws away all the character development.. Actually, even the strong points of the series, like Kyoani's attention to detail and the animation, seemed underwhelming compared to most of the major moments in the show. Maybe the only thing that made this a worthy watch is the fact that it answers some questions after the finale, though I'd prefer a 30 minute OVA over a whole movie. Oh and it had some rad costumes like the one Hiroomi wore at the start.

I warned ya.

Jarmel

Banned
I've always claimed that the final episode of Star Driver is one of the best mecha episodes ever made. I take offerings on an annual schedule.

Sterok

Taboo Tattoo 2

I've always wondered, just how easy is it to transfer into Japanese schools? Because anime makes it look like the easiest thing in the world. Other than that this continues to be perfectly serviceable with some nice action.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Yo, Mob Psycho was super fun. The animation and the psychedelic art was great. Pretty excited it crushed my expectations. Should be an awesome show.

jgminto

Sweetness and Lightning is definitely my soul cleaning show of the season, it's so fluffy and pleasant.
Ep 1 of Mob Psycho 100 was great but that wasn't very surprising after watching the trailers.
Bananya seems like a bad short two episodes in. Aside from the concept of cat bananas, nothing interesting has happened.

ibyea

Banned
Dangan Ronpa - End of Hope's Peak Academy: 1
The ~upupupupupu~ doesn't have quiet the same oomph with this new voice.

Gotta say, so far it's not bad. It's completely ridiculous and insane, but that's Dangan Ronpa for you. Also, totally Zero Escape inspired set up.

Grexeno

Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak High School - Future Arc 01

I'm preparing myself for how bad I think this is going to be. But I'm in it for the long haul.

Monokuma seems awfully......reserved.

Sölf

Man, I shouldn't have started Re: Zero. I am already 12 episodes in, so only 3 more until the waiting game begins. D:

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
bRHmdeW.png

Sensei nearly sliced his hand open.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about cooking (I'm an expert), but knife safety and sanitation are huge parts of it. It's not like Dragon's Crown where you can be successful by dragging ingredients to a pot. If you don't respect the dangers of your tools, you bring shame to Chairman Kaga, and the only way to get rid of that shame is by reading SeriousEats.

Do not split your bread with a Chef's knife and certainly do not cut towards your palm!!!

Star Driver was a bad monster of the week anime that fools people into thinking it is good with sexy girls, pretty bishounen boys, nice looking robots and pretty colors.

Probably the worst monster of the week anime I've ever seen. Let's not forget the utter and complete lack of dramatic tension because you knew the MC was going to win EVERY battle because it was riding on a completely trashy and nonsensical story as well.

Line_HTX

Wow... Even I know that is NOT how you're supposed to cut with a knife.

What is wrong with the animators in that one...

DansGame

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Just rewatched episode 15 of ReZero and I think I liked it better than the first go around. The entire episode was seriously master class.

What I really like about this show vs others in the same redo time scenario is the realism. By that I mean, even though he gets a reset, that shit that he went through before really happened. He went through it and carries those emotional scars every single loop.

I seriously can't wait until next week.

ibyea

Banned
bRHmdeW.png

Sensei nearly sliced his hand open.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about cooking (I'm an expert), but knife safety and sanitation are huge parts of it. It's not like Dragon's Crown where you can be successful by dragging ingredients to a pot. If you don't respect the dangers of your tools, you bring shame to Chairman Kaga, and the only way to get rid of that shame is by reading SeriousEats.

Do not split your bread with a Chef's knife and certainly do not cut towards your palm!!!

Oh god no, you certainly don't do that with that kind of knife.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The really unintentionally funny/frightening thing about that scene is that for a chef's knife to part a bread roll so easily it would have to be pretty damn sharp.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I just watched three great episodes in a row

Re Zero Episode 15

Mob Psycho 100 Episode 1

and Taboo Tattoo Episode 2 now.

What a time to be an anime watcher.

What kind of name is Bluesy Fruesy? lol. The occasional english and foreigner accent are making me laugh my ass off.

I'm not sure if it was just the translation or something was lost in translation but I'm confused now about Bluesy and Tom.
She mentioned that if they notified HQ that they would be brought home as well as the MC being studied upon. She immediately then stated that She can't hand over MC to the kingdom. Are they really part of the US Army or are they with the Kingdom? The ending of the episode didn't seem to really clear this up either.

Star Driver was a bad monster of the week anime that fools people into thinking it is good with sexy girls, pretty bishounen boys, nice looking robots and pretty colors.

Probably the worst monster of the week anime I've ever seen. Let's not forget the utter and complete lack of dramatic tension because you knew the MC was going to win EVERY battle because it was riding on a completely trashy and nonsensical story as well.

Yeah, Star Driver was pretty much complete trash. Every episode was pretty much exactly the same but with a different personalitiless antagonist to be unceremoniously defeated after a sudden reversal that came out of nowhere.

I regret the fact that it took me like 18 episodes before I finally dropped it.

Re:Zero 1A/1B-03

It seems alright. It's closer to Log Horizon then to SAO so thats good, but the repeating stuff is already getting kind of old for me and I can smell the harem hijinx coming. I'm glad the gut slashing girl is down because I was going to drop the show if Subaru seriously died from that magical cut that only started bleeding when he noticed it minutes later. I can see where the despair comes in already but this isn't my first time loop rodeo.

Subaru really seems to be taking this pretty well. Like weirdly well. In SAO or Log Horizon the goal is to get out and in No Game No Life the goal is to win the "game" but Subaru doesn't seem to give a shit, nor does he openly welcome this change. I'm glad that he dropped the "dur-hur since this is an alternate world LN story you'd expect THIS trope so I better say it out loud and then be shocked when it doesn't happen" because that's not clever or funny but I'm not exactly sure what Subaru is trying to do here.

But I really don't understand how the looping works in this. What are the rules? Are they Zero Escape rules? Undertale rules? Groundhog's Day rules? I don't understand. Certain things tend to stay like the shopkeep remembering Subaru helped his daughter (which he doesn't even question why he remembered that???) and the ice girl getting the flower but she doesn't remember Subaru but Puck does? What the hell. Please tell me that the answer isn't that it works via whatever the writer wants at that time and there is no rhyme or reason.

I'll keep watching but its around the same tier as KonoSuba for me right now of "This is alright for one of these alt world shows I guess"

Bananya 02

I don't know what the fuck the point of this show is but it sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom